What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (6 Viewers)

COC Guide for beginners:

Townhall 9

-Th9 is the new TH8. With the advent of the 4 mortar upgrade and anchored heroes you will spend 6 months or more here.

-Start your queen first. The queen should go to level 5 as soon as possible. This is the most important upgrade in the entire game.

-Build two level 1 xbows first for defense for your dark elixer

-Begin all offensive units including camps to 220, dark barracks to hound, and other offensive upgrades like spells/labs. etc.

-Splash defense first, then anti air, then point defenses.

-Most important upgrades for your lab is Barb6, Loon6, Hound2, and Minion5 in that order.

-Never leave both heroes awake. One should be upgrading at all times.
updated
Agree with Queen - and also: she just makes raiding more fun.

I think I'm going to put 5k gold into CC (offense) before 3k each into xbows.(defense)

Probably upgrading BAM troops first. Help me understand your upgrade priority.

Continue to struggle with Lavaloonions

Was able to lure/kill AQ and CC troops to start off.

Timing/placement of Hounds followed by skulls is just way off - made worse by placement and timing of freeze/rage spells.

Frustrating.

If anyone has time to review my attack on #10 and tell me where I went wrong I'd appreciate it.

Timing/placement of Hounds followed by skulls is just way off - made worse by placement and timing of freeze/rage spells.

Frustrating.

If anyone has time to review my attack on #10 and tell me where I went wrong I'd appreciate it.
you wasted your heros killing their cc

if using loons for a attack, use kamikaze to kill the CC

you drop your hounds too early

deploy your loons First because they are slow

then deploy your hounds after.. you want your hounds to show up right as loons are about to take their first shot. then I usually rage the loons towards the AA

Frustrating.

then deploy your hounds after.. you want your hounds to show up right as loons are about to take their first shot. then I usually rage the loons towards the AA
Appreciate the feedback

Sacrificed my hero's to take out AQ and CC troops - seen plenty of successful Lavaloonion attacks do the same - don't ink that was the problem.

Order of skull & hound deployment is definitely where I went wrong. Skulls needed to come out first, followed by Hounds. And I definitely needed to be more patient with my spells.

This type of attack is soo dependent on timing - off a little and its a massive fail.

Frustrating.

Appreciate the feedback

Sacrificed my hero's to take out AQ and CC troops - seen plenty of successful Lavaloonion attacks do the same - don't ink that was the problem.

Order of skull & hound deployment is definitely where I went wrong. Skulls needed to come out first, followed by Hounds. And I definitely needed to be more patient with my spells.

This type of attack is soo dependent on timing - off a little and its a massive fail.
didn't notice that

yes ive seen some high lvl attacks do the same

I'm pretty sure the max everything vs. TH rush was what the Sunni/Shia split is about.
I'm actually seriously considering reading The Art of War to hopefully find some direction on this eternal issue.
I am a strong advocate of max everything. I just maxed my TH6 and now moving to TH7. Was TH6 for two months (suck it Culd!) and it really helped in war also.
I can see perhaps how that helps, but if you have to pick your clan right. It would be a pretty rare war where a TH6 could add stars on more than about 5 bases with us for the past 3 months. Most wars a TH6 with us would only see perhaps 1 base they could get 3 on. So if you pick the right clan this can be viable if you want to add war stars. I don't really care if the bottom 10 just pot really, Adding stars is a bonus imo.

Quez has been following my blueprint for less time and is nearly ready to contribute on about 10-15 bases. Guy is a superfarmer though. Maybe even moreso than doc. And that's saying something. I bet he's at TH9 by late March.

Frustrating.

I think you go in at 5 oclock there, coming in where you did was just too slow developing.

Anybody looking for a fbgs spot? I got one I'm pulling after this war.
Looking to get back (been out since the holidays). Still at TH8 but all maxed (including BK) with about 70 walls left to skull. Will be kicking off the move to TH9 in the next week or so.

Not sure how much the makeup of FBGS has changed or not and whether it makes sense to head to one of the other clans.

Open for whatever.

COC Guide for beginners:

Townhall 9

-Th9 is the new TH8. With the advent of the 4 mortar upgrade and anchored heroes you will spend 6 months or more here.

-Start your queen first. The queen should go to level 5 as soon as possible. This is the most important upgrade in the entire game.

-Begin all offensive units including camps to 220, dark barracks to hound, and other offensive upgrades like spells/labs. etc.

-Most important upgrades for your lab is Barb6, Loon6, Hound2, and Minion5 in that order.

updated

I think I'm going to put 5k gold into CC (offense) before 3k each into xbows.(defense)

Barb6 - Huge increase for barching. Can take a single shot from a large number of towers that Barb5 can't. This is the absolute A#1 no brainer 1st upgrade at TH9. This is coming from Ash's guide, primarily. This was not my approach when I started and it was one of my many big mistakes, if not the biggest.

Loon6 - Helps you push to masters quickly and get that huge gem pop, also for war now you are a threat to take down TH9 with a CC Hound.

Hound2 - Now you can take out most any double down Xbow TH9 for 3 stars.

Minion5 - Farming troop

Note, you might have to do minons prior to hound because it's 24 days to unlock hounds at a minimum. For most probably more like 30.

Looking to get back (been out since the holidays). Still at TH8 but all maxed (including BK) with about 70 walls left to skull. Will be kicking off the move to TH9 in the next week or so.

Not sure how much the makeup of FBGS has changed or not and whether it makes sense to head to one of the other clans.

Open for whatever.
Mix doesn't matter. Never let that stop you. We welcome all.

One of my students was peering over my shoulder just now. If there is a request from a Hunter, decline him

Open for whatever.
I just got my second in. I'll head out. You and Witz can coordinate on the opening.

Open for whatever.
As of now, I'd fall into the random mix of crap category.

;)

I'll check back to see when you're dropping RW and I'll jump back in.

Open for whatever.

;)

just left now. It's active...Culdeus should be able to open shortly.

Open for whatever.

;)

just left now. It's active...Culdeus should be able to open shortly.
:hifive:

Look for bases with 2000+ DE and easy to get to storage. Get er done.
Separate issue but if a guy is packing 2k+ in DE it's typically not 'easy' to get to_One resource I used in the last couple of wars I've been is the 3 Stars Clan Wars Youtube channel . I doubt there are many bases you will run across that aren't on there. Aside from that, simply Googling a base to obtain it's name (assuming it's a popular base) brings up no end of ideas on how to approach a base. I also can't recommend OneHive enough when it comes to this game. Their vids are long but there isn't any more detailed analysis of attacks & strategies I've seen out there.
Funny but I simply try to describe it and see what pops up. The one I was looking for was a core surrounded by circles so I Googled CoC base circles and it came up. They are not all that easy but most times you can either find something similar or some strategy that will address what you are looking for. There was a 3 star with L2 hogs video that showed me exactly what to do and with L4 hogs, it was almost a no brainer.

Takes some time but if you are a th9 or th10 you've already invested a fair amount of time, this will just make you better.

Last edited by a moderator:
COC Guide for beginners:

Townhall 9

updated

Barb6 - Huge increase for barching. Can take a single shot from a large number of towers that Barb5 can't. This is the absolute A#1 no brainer 1st upgrade at TH9. This is coming from Ash's guide, primarily. This was not my approach when I started and it was one of my many big mistakes, if not the biggest.

Loon6 - Helps you push to masters quickly and get that huge gem pop, also for war now you are a threat to take down TH9 with a CC Hound.

Hound2 - Now you can take out most any double down Xbow TH9 for 3 stars.

Minion5 - Farming troop

Note, you might have to do minons prior to hound because it's 24 days to unlock hounds at a minimum. For most probably more like 30.
I went furs then skulls to start TH9. Furs against TH8s just isn't fair. Skulls are done in a week and I feel like that is opening a whole new world.

COC Guide for beginners:

Townhall 9-Most important upgrades for your lab is Barb6, Loon6, Hound2, and Minion5 in that order.
updated
I went furs then skulls to start TH9. Furs against TH8s just isn't fair. Skulls are done in a week and I feel like that is opening a whole new world.
Yeah I have to strongly disagree with culdeus here.

Skulls and Giants are the no-brainer first upgrades. Unless you have no interest in using anything other than straight barch.

Barb 6 has value, but it is not the game changer that skulls or furs are.

COC Guide for beginners:

Townhall 9-Most important upgrades for your lab is Barb6, Loon6, Hound2, and Minion5 in that order.
updated
Yeah I have to strongly disagree with culdeus here.

Skulls and Giants are the no-brainer first upgrades. Unless you have no interest in using anything other than straight barch.

Barb 6 has value, but it is not the game changer that skulls or furs are.
I did barbs first due to their low cost and high usage. Then furs and loons. Now 4 days from archers. I like my order.Higher barbs also help the BK's raging fist ability.

Barbs are essential to get your elixer for camps. Don't overthink it. Barching is boring, but it's essential as a new TH9. At least till you get your elixer stuff done, and there's a ####load of it. Furs and skulls just don't have the ROI you ned.

Again, this is not what I would have said several months ago, Ash and doc have opened my eyes on this.

Barbs are essential to get your elixer for camps. Don't overthink it. Barching is boring, but it's essential as a new TH9. At least till you get your elixer stuff done, and there's a ####load of it. Furs and skulls just don't have the ROI you ned.

Again, this is not what I would have said several months ago, Ash and doc have opened my eyes on this.
I think you are the one overthinking it.

L6 barbs are not essential for new TH9 elixir grinding. No, they aren't. They may help if barch is all you are capable of, but it is incorrect to proclaim them as the necessary first upgrade.

Further, they don't help in war whatsoever. And they don't open any new avenues in the game. They are a modest gain for a boring attack.

One thing I noticed at my level (TH6/7) is that the bases that are Barb-accessible have been picked clean. Even if you're a pure barcher it might be worthwhile to switch gears while the boost is on.

Bucky86 said:
Okay, I turn TH9 tomorrow morning. I'll have 6 Million elixir, 4.5 million gold, 44k DE. What's my first few moves?
Queen. Lab

Camps.

That's what I would do. Using the lab upgrade time to save elixir for furs or loons or barb6

Gold for CC asap.

One thing I noticed at my level (TH6/7) is that the bases that are Barb-accessible have been picked clean. Even if you're a pure barcher it might be worthwhile to switch gears while the boost is on.
I've been attempting barch recently with very mediocre results, and have been wondering if it is the wrong time to revisit barch, for the very reason you mention.

sartre said:
culdeus said:

L6 barbs are not essential for new TH9 elixir grinding. No, they aren't. They may help if barch is all you are capable of, but it is incorrect to proclaim them as the necessary first upgrade.

Further, they don't help in war whatsoever. And they don't open any new avenues in the game. They are a modest gain for a boring attack.
I'll let doc jump in here if he wants. I'm by no means the most experienced barch guy. I've just seen enough of what Doc and Ash are up to to realize just what a massive step up Barb6 is for elixer and dark farming from 5. The sheer number of towers it can survive a one shot from is staggering. No other barch upgrade comes close, plus with the Ash plan you come to TH9 with Barb10 and then you do not upgrade BK for awhile waiting on the queen to catchup. Having stronger barbs to go with the BK rage spell is a major upgrade and you should have your bk awake for the better part of 6 weeks.

All this is in the ash stuff.

sartre said:
culdeus said:

upgrade whatever you raid with, or want to raid with, first. That simple IMO.

sartre said:
culdeus said:

I'll let doc jump in here if he wants. I'm by no means the most experienced barch guy. I've just seen enough of what Doc and Ash are up to to realize just what a massive step up Barb6 is for elixer and dark farming from 5. The sheer number of towers it can survive a one shot from is staggering. No other barch upgrade comes close, plus with the Ash plan you come to TH9 with Barb10 and then you do not upgrade BK for awhile waiting on the queen to catchup. Having stronger barbs to go with the BK rage spell is a major upgrade and you should have your bk awake for the better part of 6 weeks.

With all due respect to doc, his position on the matter carries less relevance, because none of us here come close to matching doc in volume raiding. He plays a different game.

Yes, Barb 6 is a massive upgrade to barch. There are several other TH9 upgrades that are even more massive in the context of the larger game.

sartre said:
culdeus said:

With all due respect to doc, his position on the matter carries less relevance, because none of us here come close to matching doc in volume raiding. He plays a different game.

Yes, Barb 6 is a massive upgrade to barch. There are several other TH9 upgrades that are even more massive in the context of the larger game.
Agree strongly with Mor here - if you have the time to raid a hundred times a day (or in some cases maybe more, doc is an animal,) then your strategy can/should be different. Not of all us have that much free time.

sartre said:
culdeus said:

I went Furs then Skulls at TH9. Just finished barbs about a week ago after a few DE upgrades. I almost solely barch in the 1600 trophy range with L5 troops + furs (up until last week). L6 barbs are nice but they didn't stop me from rolling and I haven't seen a major boost to the bases I can roll. Don't get me wrong, they help but I wouldn't call it massive. Any troop upgrade is helpful. My next upgrade will probably be arch to complete the barch army but I'm in no rush.

If you are farming elixir at TH9 and for the first few months you will be, you should concentrate more on trophy range than troops. There are still plenty of super base TH8's with lots of elixir and no where to spend it. With BK & AQ, there aren't too many TH8's that can stop you from taking their stuff.

sartre said:
culdeus said:

I think in the context of war attacks, the first viable attack for a new TH9 is a Skull+L2Hound+Drags/mins. Everything else takes a ton of time and resource to ramp up.

This is roughly a 30 day period to get your camps, dark barracks, and labs/cc/spells up and running while doing queen to 5 amongst other things.

All this while having a target on your back for other raiders. Even if you raid light, raiding barch during this period still makes the most sense.

I've been doing fine with 100% barb (L4) lately. Lots of 50K/50K bases with the odd bigger score in there. Its a grind but if you have an hour to waste you can come out with 1.5M of each. Been gaining a ton of trophies doing this as well by getting 50% on all the TH6/7. They don't have enough walls to hide over half the buildings so its an easy 50%.

Upgrade what you use. No sense splitting hairs here. Barch 6 is more important if you plan on moving to crystal to farm DE. If you are staying in low gold or silver, doesn't matter much since those bases suck ### anyways.

And volume of raiding doesn't really matter. It's about return on investment. There's zero point attacking any base unless it's full collectors at low trophy levels. Barch takes all those resources as well as Loonian or Giants do.

I can certainly see how furs can just curb stomp guys in high silver low gold. They also build fast and on boost giants are the most +EV troops you can build to get the most bang for your gems. If you just boost one barracks at a time giants make the most sense on a build cost/time/hp aspect. That's why if you go to req and leave clans for whatever reason they are all boosting giants.

SMN, what are your thoughts on these guys going with lava hounds on xbow down bases for CC. Does this trouble you at all?

I can certainly see how furs can just curb stomp guys in high silver low gold. They also build fast and on boost giants are the most +EV troops you can build to get the most bang for your gems. If you just boost one barracks at a time giants make the most sense on a build cost/time/hp aspect. That's why if you go to req and leave clans for whatever reason they are all boosting giants.
If you boost sure. That changes the conversation significantly. However, with Giants come wall breakers and heal spells.Again though, full collectors don't need bases to be wrecked. Discouraged actually because it's a waste of troops.

And volume of raiding doesn't really matter. It's about return on investment. There's zero point attacking any base unless it's full collectors at low trophy levels. Barch takes all those resources as well as Loonian or Giants do.
Volume of raiding definitely matters, attack/defense ratio even more so. Nexting tolerance, where one is in regard to TH level, the device one uses to raid.. there are so many variables that make the game different between players.

There is no "one-size-fits-all" perfect solution. I cringe whenever I see someone assertively claim "this is the way it should be done".

SMN, what are your thoughts on these guys going with lava hounds on xbow down bases for CC. Does this trouble you at all?
Not really. Sure it could distract/kill some pups but if the hound would agro onto one of your own hounds or even loons it isn't going to cause much damage and should follow your hound/loons through the base while the pups cleanup behind. If some loons/queen can get through all the defensive buildings alive then the hound isn't an issue at all imo. It'd take the hound 40 seconds to kill a single loon.

If the only thing that survives is pups well then you have an issue on your hands with the hound.

Best bet would be to just ignore it and try to keep your AQ away from it so she doesn't break out pups to early.

Upgrades depend on how you play the game. I am late TH9 and I very rarely barched to get here. I just never really want to play the game every 7-15 minutes or whatever, I really only do it when I'm nearly running on empty. Elixir sucked to come by early TH9, but I think that's because they made that wall change right when I got there (before changing it back). For the most part, I got through TH9 with giant armies.

I did skulls and wiz very early on too simply because I wanted to be able to contribute to war donations.

You also might be lower on elixir when your lab upgrade finishes (from camps, for example), so rather than wait a half a day or day or whatever to get enough for fur coats, go ahead and start the barb upgrade rather than lose that time.

Skulls/barbs/fur coats are all legitimate options and not really worth arguing about. Just don't upgrade healers or spells first.

This only makes sense if you don't consider your personal time as something that you "invest," which is the point several people are making.

Users who are viewing this thread