What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (4 Viewers)

Is it uninstall time again?
95% of the people that play this game are damn near useless.  The super hardcore scene expected you to hyper plan out raids for a clan that would be doing good to get 1 3 star at th10 or 11 or higher, wait around till the last couple hours of war to make the big hits.  Got old doing that constantly to stay in shape for the weekly arranged wars.  Got pretty burned out.  When Legacy tried to convert to that mindset it just didn't work and the whole thing imploded.

I'm probably never heading back to a major war clan, there really aren't that many left anyways, and might get bored of watching the 95% just flail away hopelessly.  Of the core 20 or so that made up the crew I ran with for about a year about 17 of them are still playing alot.  Just scattered around here and there.  

To uninstall I really need something to replace it with. That hasn't come along yet.  Royale got really old fast.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the guys you warred with really sucked with their rules. I too, would have quit dealing with those folks.

TH10/11 are probably the most balanced levels right now. At TH10 you have 3+ 3* options. Bad bases get crushed. Good bases are very difficult and take great attacks. At TH11 you have 2 3* options and again, bad bases great crushed and good ones are tough.

TH9 is just to easy.

What's the "go to" th9 on th9 strategy (assume 10/10 heroes, lvl 2 valks, lvl 5 hogs, and max any troop in the CC).  Got some 2 star ruts going on
Level up those valks, take 18 valks, 4 hogs, 4 healers, cc full of hogs.    AQ walk, pop cc with a couple of hogs, AQ takes care of cc troops,  Bk starts setting funnel ahead of AQ, drop valks in between AQ and Bk, but close to Bk.   Valks should run towards AQ, clearing trash, then turn into base when they reach AQ.   Rage valks as soon as they turn inside,  (and you'll probably need to iron fist Bk around this time), let valks fight their way in for 10 - 20 seconds, then throw down all remaining hogs + cc on one side- pick a spot with low dgb probability- you should have 3 spells to use at this time - choose between rage, heal, jump, depends on the base

What's the "go to" th9 on th9 strategy (assume 10/10 heroes, lvl 2 valks, lvl 5 hogs, and max any troop in the CC).  Got some 2 star ruts going on
Roughly:

4 healers

12 giants

12 hogs

X wiz

1 baby drag

CC bowlers

0 wall breakers

2 rage, 2 heal, 2 poison.

Drop giants with healers on them. Funnel with wiz and baby drag. Heros and bowlers follow behind giants. Use rages on that group. Once about halfway done start picking off defenses with hogs and heal them.

Honda never seems to have a win streak going on. What's happening there?
Couple of factors:

1. I'm still on the roster

2. The clan has lost steam for some reason. We have some legacy players on the roster but a good portion of the clan simply doesn't war anymore so we're stuck with 15 & 20 man wars which are getting old.

3. I'm still on the roster

Our last two losses where actually the most entertaining wars we've had in a while. Lost one on tie break % and the other by 1 star.

Couple of factors:

1. I'm still on the roster

2. The clan has lost steam for some reason. We have some legacy players on the roster but a good portion of the clan simply doesn't war anymore so we're stuck with 15 & 20 man wars which are getting old.

3. I'm still on the roster

Our last two losses where actually the most entertaining wars we've had in a while. Lost one on tie break % and the other by 1 star.
That's too bad. Maybe it's time for a draft?

Just having troubles 9v9?

Just having troubles 9v9?
Not so much, the competition isn't the problem most times. These last two wars were more the exception than the rule, we typically go 3-4 wins in a row and run into a good group. Our 9's are solid, we could all use some work but overall I think our attacks are pretty good.

Isn't Clayton sitting out too?  He's worth +3-5 stars every war and HONDA always struggles when he's absent.
He is and that's some of it but even when he was in with all accounts we were still barely getting to 20 so I don't think it's that. We've also stepped up our game. I'm not saying we are the equivalent of Clayton but I don't think, as a clan, we're as dependent on him providing 24 stars every war as we used to be. Still nice to have him in but with football season starting we knew his participation was going to seriously drop off.

Need you and Noah back in the fold, there are some new attacks I think you'll enjoy. I know you're working on hero's and that's just a lifesuck. Hated grinding those.

I agree with everyone saying to upgrade heroes and troops but if you want something effective for 10/10 heroes right now then try HGB. It's an offshoot of HGHB (minus the healers) that's meant for low level heroes to 3 star low-mid TH9's with low level x-bows. All you need is L6 giants, L5 hogs and L6 heal spell to pair with your low level heroes. I was 2 for 2 using it with 10/11 heroes on my 2nd account on early TH9's with L1 and L2 x-bows. Try testing it out in FC or against the lowest ranked TH9's with L1 x-bows in war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZMVYDNwnQ

Skip to 2:55 in the video for the good stuff. I replace the single minion with a wall breaker and use it against the first wall at the start to give the giants a head start. I also target the first compartment entry point for the giants to be where there isn't a wizard tower. You don't want to burn a heal spell on your giants early while they try to bust into the first compartment with a wizard tower shooting at them.

Hghb really crushed the spread out bases.  What's successful are more compact ones with irregular compartments. 

Problem is those are vulnerable to baby drags. Haven't seen much baby drag use in our wars though. 

There's an interesting discussion going on between the forums and uploaders.  Ash put out a longish video recently that made me think.

I'll paraphrase:

Are bowlers and miners overpowered because bases are bad, or are they simply overpowered?  The vast majority of TH11 bases are crappy anti 2 ring designs.  If you get the right break on those it's a 3. If you screw up one little thing its a 80% 1 star.  For low hero players even with perfect execution 3 is not possible.

So the question is should they turn down the mass troops or tweak the heroes a bit? Or both? Or what?

It's a tremendously complex problem.  If they make TH11 a 2 star game again it's going to drive war people away. Any changes to TH11 will also likely make TH10 much more difficult as well, and it's already hard.  

Anyways, tough opponent. Would implore anyone using a anti-2 base to change to something harder.  A good chunk of my buddies are now in curmudgeons.  They won and held them to 90%. I promise you none of them used a ring base.  Every other war they ring up 95%.  

Bowlers seem pretty overpowered to me, but I am maxed on one account save 14 walls.  85% 2 star and a 3 star against th11s in my last war, but their no2 base was weak.  I just started lvl 4 miners, so I don't know about them yet, but they seem OP from the videos I've looked up.  Then again, some dummy attacked me with them this war and managed to screw it up (miners).  I expected to see him obliterate my base when someone pointed out the army he had built, and I was ready to gem my miners finished to return the favor.

I haven't gotten much upgraded on my th10 account, but bowlers are finishing soon.  I am still using valks when in war.

Hey guys, nice job getting to 15! I'm back in my old clan, watching people flail around and request "any for gowipe".  One guy started his war attack dropping a Pekka and a dragon and just let them get smoked. It's getting pretty brutal to watch.

So Honda is just discovering miiners, Has FBG's seen a lot of miner attacks so far? What little we've played with them, they seem to be reminiscent of Fudd's hogs back in the day (not quite but still dominate).

How do they react to a dragon in the CC? Asking for a friend

So Honda is just discovering miiners, Has FBG's seen a lot of miner attacks so far? What little we've played with them, they seem to be reminiscent of Fudd's hogs back in the day (not quite but still dominate).

How do they react to a dragon in the CC? Asking for a friend
Drags are generally too slow to cause much of a problem for them. Golem/skull (at TH10) and Valks are the best CCs to defend against them.

Last war their top guys had some fantastic miner attacks crushing a couple of our top bases but those were max hero/miner attacks so maybe not that relevant for Honda. Don't think I've seen a TH10 vs TH10 succeed with miners.

Hey guys, nice job getting to 15! I'm back in my old clan, watching people flail around and request "any for gowipe".  One guy started his war attack dropping a Pekka and a dragon and just let them get smoked. It's getting pretty brutal to watch.
Implement a no PEKKA rule ASAP.

AQ walk into miners has been a large struggle for alot of us.  Miner pathing in general has been a struggle. Another problem I have is I only made one miner barrack so building mass miners is like a 2 and a half hour affair.  Haven't run much all miner stuff in FC as a result.

I dipped down on a th10 yesterday with miners, raged the grass twice, still got 3.  Granted my miners were max but it seems nearly can't miss on th11 on th10 dips.

Trying to get these blended strats going, have a couple arranged wars coming up.  Would like to flex a little.

AQ walk into miners has been a large struggle for alot of us.  Miner pathing in general has been a struggle. Another problem I have is I only made one miner barrack so building mass miners is like a 2 and a half hour affair.  Haven't run much all miner stuff in FC as a result.

I dipped down on a th10 yesterday with miners, raged the grass twice, still got 3.  Granted my miners were max but it seems nearly can't miss on th11 on th10 dips.

Trying to get these blended strats going, have a couple arranged wars coming up.  Would like to flex a little.
Do you have a basic strategy you use?  I'm a couple of days away from them, and they sound like hogs back in the day where you could just do a simple two finger drop (or chinese hog wall) back when they were OP

Do you have a basic strategy you use?  I'm a couple of days away from them, and they sound like hogs back in the day where you could just do a simple two finger drop (or chinese hog wall) back when they were OP
Miners need to be thought of like hogs that hit everything as far as heals go.  Heal thru splash damage and gbs.

If you aq walk you have to charge. Not just nip the edges. Lots of wbs and 2 or 3 rages for the queen.  King sets funnel and miners drive wedge between queen charge and king. It's alot easier said than done, however. 

Base design is a little bit of a trainwreck now.  They really need to fix miners

Basically meta right now is:

• Compact base with most defenses touching- 6 healers and mass bowlers 2 Jump 3 rage
  • Spread out base with few things touching - 52 miners 5 heals derp derp
  • Hybrid base with inferno moats surrounded with denser compartments - AQ walk into miners rage queen 2x to kill a good 30% of base
  • Anti2 base - AQ walk into miners with 5 heals most likely depending on inferno placement
The only hope you have is to make base tight enough that 52 miners won't work and if they do a queen walk or charge the funnel doesn't work and the queen and queen's healers get killed.  

For fairplay clans right now they are combating the imbalance at TH11 by limiting the number of th11 they allow in war.  A ratio of 50% more TH10 to TH11 is deemed the best way to demonstrate a clan's actual skill level argument being that TH11 is just too easy right now until the upcoming miner nerf  coming and TH11 on TH10 dips are simply too easy.  

TH11 vs TH10 should be too easy. Just like TH10 vs TH9 is too easy and TH9 vs TH8 is too easy. 
Well yes, that's the point.  For competitive wars there is concern that if the TH11 to TH10 ratio is off then all you get are dips from 11 to 10 and up hits from 10 to 11 with a handful of 3 star attempts at th11 on th11.  

A ratio of lets say 4x11 to 12x10 makes it that TH10 have to carry their own water or else settle for few to no TH11 on TH11 three star attempts.  

It's not an issue of whether dips should or should not be easy. 

At a prior, happier, time TH9 would clear and then TH10 would fight to the death with a few TH9 on TH10 up hits.  The level of scrutiny and demand on TH10 right now is insane.  

culdeus said:
For fairplay clans right now they are combating the imbalance at TH11 by limiting the number of th11 they allow in war.  A ratio of 50% more TH10 to TH11 is deemed the best way to demonstrate a clan's actual skill level argument being that TH11 is just too easy right now until the upcoming miner moat coming and TH11 on TH10 dips are simply too easy.  
Please to 'splain please and thanks to you.

Just proven that the update did not cause bombs to target healers. The Facebook page says this morning was only server updates, not balance updates.

There were a lot better ways to slow down the bowler+healer attacks than nerfing the #### out of healers.  

I really think they want to understand the game other than a trophy pushing contest, but simply can't wrap their head around it.  Every single interaction with the community has been focused on making the trophy game a 2 star affair. Sometimes this hurts war, sometimes it helps.  I'd argue the witch nerf helped.  Seems they find that to have been a negative experience.  

I can't really remember a truly impressive 3 star raid I've seen that didn't involve healers in some time.  I don't think you can just will a CB Lalo to come back at TH10.  Base design is just too tough with the extra walls, more wiz damage, more xbow damage, and now everyone has 40/40 heroes and a harder clan castle. (return of cc hounds)

It isn't clear whether the miner change will hurt, some will say it will help.  And they are setting up for an anti miner defense.  Personally, it sucks.  I didn't see this coming at all.  I was looking forward to trying out these queen charges into XYZ troops.  Forget that.

I'm not prone to going Culdeus, but the healer nerf is a clear sign that Supercell doesn't understand - or simply doesn't care about - high-level war strategy.

High level war players are probably .01% of players and maybe cost them more money than they bring in.  

This game is funded by noobs, and whales,  war guys don't fall into either of those. 

Noobs hate superqueen. They killed it.  That about covers it.  Hope people like getting no shield from a gigob.

Well, hell.  I had just about finished my walls with boring bowler/healer raids.  Went on vacation, trotted out one against a 1 mil loot, high level base, and I got smoked.  Figured there had to be something going on.  Just moved my TH8 base to become an 8.5.  Maybe I will play more on that account.

Miner nerfed too or no?  I mean, the ones with healers are, but my maxed miners are just finishing up in the lab.

major backpedal in progress.  I'm trying to keep the relevant stuff updated in gme, this board is really hard to use unless on a desktop and even then I find it very difficult to use.  

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!!?!?!?
We freaked out over a couple vague sentences last night and uninstalled. Now those couple sentences may not happen. Or they might. Or they might not. Or there might be other changes. Or there might not. 

tl;dr: stuff might or might not change

And Cliff them saying they will destroy healers is certainly worth an overreaction. I took culdeus post that supercell is now in major backpedal mode about it. 

Big decision time. Push JR or SR to TH11? 

-JR bats about 80% vs TH9s and would be 99. 9% with max hounds, loons and a warden.

-SR would continue with point D but not touch infernos, xbows, eagle or mortars. Would be able to help smash around 11s. 

Only got the time for one.

Users who are viewing this thread