What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (5 Viewers)

Looking for some counsel from my FBG brothers.  My son spends a lot of time on this game.  We're giving him a ton of rope when it comes to media time due to pressure from school and the pandemic stuff.  However, yesterday I learned he has spent over $100 on in-app purchases for this game over the past 6 months or so.  Its all his own money - gift cards he got for his birthday, Christmas, etc.  He earns some money reffing soccer games in the spring/summer. We thought the phone was set so he needed our permission to buy something, but he apparently found a work-around.  He's in a clan with a group of friends.  I'm pissed off, but trying to be reasonable.

I don't know anything about this game, but it strikes me as an incredibly stupid thing to spend real money on.  I'm also worried about the amount of time he spends on this every day. But I don't want to be a Boomer ###hole about this.  Looking for thoughts from those of you who know the game and are parents.

thanks

Looking for some counsel from my FBG brothers.  My son spends a lot of time on this game.  We're giving him a ton of rope when it comes to media time due to pressure from school and the pandemic stuff.  However, yesterday I learned he has spent over $100 on in-app purchases for this game over the past 6 months or so.  Its all his own money - gift cards he got for his birthday, Christmas, etc.  He earns some money reffing soccer games in the spring/summer. We thought the phone was set so he needed our permission to buy something, but he apparently found a work-around.  He's in a clan with a group of friends.  I'm pissed off, but trying to be reasonable.

I don't know anything about this game, but it strikes me as an incredibly stupid thing to spend real money on.  I'm also worried about the amount of time he spends on this every day. But I don't want to be a Boomer ###hole about this.  Looking for thoughts from those of you who know the game and are parents.

thanks
My son spends his money on stupid XBOX madden players packs and stuff like that.

I don't get it, but it's his money that he earned to do with as he wants. So I let it slide. But I think it's dumb. 

thanks
It's a gigantic timesuck but view it like it's just a video game budget both from time and money.  If he is exceeding what you consider acceptable on either then deal with it in the same way.  They really incenticize you to spend about 30/month to stay relevant.  I mean it's optional and you can be full free but it's hard.  

FBG3 is still "active," but I think less than 8 people from the boards plus several friends & family. if you're a very casual player with your play time, come on by.

Fired this up as a timewaster during vacation.  Have ten bases now. The latest two that I started just before Thanksgiving, are upgrading to TH8.  Meanwhile my original 2 bases from way back just finally hit TH11.

So any of you guys active? Been just using my bases to hand out troops to the new ones, but if there's a non-clan war group, happy to move them over to it.

After 7 years, I finally stopped playing last year. Freed up a bunch of time and was a huge relief to my wife as she has since stopped trying to hire a hitman.

It's funny though, there's what, TH14 now?  I tried doing the one champions challenging thing replaying the fight from the championship, and had no idea what the buildings or units were.  Got two stars just spamming madly. 

I was coming in here to tell @culdeus he's a quitter. :)

I am stunned this is still going.  I remember when discord started heating up about the time all the big war stuff was going, now discord is like the next billion dollar company.  I still am on some of the clash channels but they are deader than dead.  I get the feeling the entire war scene has completely turned over, I don't recognize any of the names or the clans or anything.

One of the biggest frustration I had was that the game was hard as they expanded into a lot of flavors of spells.  I was playing on a LGG5 mostly, and the troop bar was getting super crowded.  The troops they have added have only added to the bloat.  This type of item made the deployment super fidgety except for stuff like loons.  That was like 4 years ago and the bloat has only gotten more intense, how the hell do you do it?  

One of the biggest frustration I had was that the game was hard as they expanded into a lot of flavors of spells.  I was playing on a LGG5 mostly, and the troop bar was getting super crowded.  The troops they have added have only added to the bloat.  This type of item made the deployment super fidgety except for stuff like loons.  That was like 4 years ago and the bloat has only gotten more intense, how the hell do you do it?  
Spam

There was a time when I drew up attacks, trying to visualize them from start to finish. The top tier players still do and it’s fun watching them exploit troops/strategies as the game has progressed but I’ve lost that kind desire. Honda is mostly a farming clan now with low key Clan War League battles but we haven’t warred with another clan in probably a year or more.

Spam

There was a time when I drew up attacks, trying to visualize them from start to finish. The top tier players still do and it’s fun watching them exploit troops/strategies as the game has progressed but I’ve lost that kind desire. Honda is mostly a farming clan now with low key Clan War League battles but we haven’t warred with another clan in probably a year or more.

The sense I got was they cut the build times way down and the costs way down so farming wasn't such a core component and the game was leaning more towards either war or trophy climbing.  There are still like Saudi princes out there dumping lambo money in to trophies.  That was like a year ago when I tried but failed to figure out how to find and restart my old acct.

Seems like raiding for resources is a bit easier now. Though might just be that I have enough bases I'm rarely waiting for troops to be ready, just go to the next one. A lot of sitting there with full storages though and no free builders.

Seems like raiding for resources is a bit easier now. Though might just be that I have enough bases I'm rarely waiting for troops to be ready, just go to the next one. A lot of sitting there with full storages though and no free builders.
They've made everything easier IMO.  Items, promotions, the extra gems from the BB, clan games -- it's miles easier than it used to be.

Revenue to date totals 6.4 billion dollars.  That seems like a #### ton for a freemium.  Anything at all near that?  

Game is much easier these days.

CWL (Clan War Leagues) is really the best part which occurs over the course of a week - once a month. I’ve always played on an iPad - no way in hell I’d be able to play this game on a phone.

Does the main fbgs clan still compete in CWL? Competitive? 

I picked up a Surface and have been playing it on Bluestacks.  Works well, except you can't do two finger deployments. Also can't deploy and drag with a finger easily, but can with the mouse or touchpad.   There might be a way to do it in Bluestacks, the latter, but couldn't work it out. Saw other people had trouble with it too when I googled.

CWL (Clan War Leagues) is really the best part which occurs over the course of a week - once a month. I’ve always played on an iPad - no way in hell I’d be able to play this game on a phone.

Still around in CWL. Got demoted a couple of times after you guys left but I think now in the right league. We have lots of openings too, I think there was mentioning of merging with Honda. 

Pigskin Fanatic said:
GregR come join Honda. we're as casual as they come and we can make room for your 10. man, that many years on this game.
Thanks, will probably join up later tonight. Just finishing running 3 bases up to Crystal for the gems for 5th builder.  Have one left, 27 🏆 away! :)

So going dragons with lightning/earthquake, as TH 8 to 11, does it make much difference if your higher level spell donation in the CC is an earthquake or a lightning?   I've been asking for earthquake since I hadn't been upgrading it in the bulk of my bases, so the biggest level change.  But once I'm done with upgrades there, is there much advantage getting a higher level lightning, or a higher level EQ?

GregR said:
So going dragons with lightning/earthquake, as TH 8 to 11, does it make much difference if your higher level spell donation in the CC is an earthquake or a lightning?   I've been asking for earthquake since I hadn't been upgrading it in the bulk of my bases, so the biggest level change.  But once I'm done with upgrades there, is there much advantage getting a higher level lightning, or a higher level EQ?
This should help, personally I have no idea.

Ok what is "win a star using a siege barracks"?  I thought it meant using any siege machine, but that didn't do it. Don't imagine I can do it then as I don't have the barracks, just the donated machines.

Clash of Clans came out in 2012. I think I signed up about 6 months into the phenomenon and joined the OG FBG’s clan. Was there for a brief stint then moved to a church clan that quickly fizzled and came back to join one of the feeder clans a little later. Think I’ve been in HONDA since then. I remember @GregR giving me my first dragon & his disappointment in my war attack when I just spammed them like a rookie instead of funneling. I remember the wonder of Fudd’s hogs and the devastation they caused before they got nerfed. In the 10 years since I think it’s happened once that I can remember but last night, as I was spamming raged barbarians to complete a challenge, I attacked with stupid’s builder base (RRN30 in your battle log). I feel as though my journey is complete.

Clan-on-clan violence

Last edited by a moderator:

FBG1 still semi-competitve but barely. We have 15-16 active TH14s for CWL and float between Master 1 and 2. Been this way for over a year and honestly surprised we're still going. Same issues as when you left...missing CWL attacks and too many 1*'s getting us demoted and simply everyone doing their attacks getting us promoted. We're down to 1 or 2 regular wars per month.

On a bittersweet note I think Tam retired. I looked at my friend list the other day and noticed all his accounts were dead bases with his main parked in a dead clan.

I remember the wonder of Fudd’s hogs and the devastation they caused before they got nerfed.
Fudd hogs were amazing, you could damn near drop em blindfolded and 3 star a base. Thankfully he gemmed the hell outta them early so we got plenty of use before others caught on and the nerf hit.

/SML 

Last edited by a moderator:
So got bored and back at it at least for awhile.

Have two TH11,  3 TH10 and 3 more that will be TH10 in 2 days, and 2 TH9.

Debating if I should just make the jump on my TH11 to TH12 so I can start building towards being able to make Stone Slammers. I mostly am going dragons and lava pups, and then if I want to drop trophies, pure goblin raids.  Those Stone Slammers are just amazing to have on the dragon raids.   One of my TH10 is close to maxed on buildings so will be going to TH11 soon and I'll be able to request Stone Slammers with it then.

TH11s have the Eagle, Infernos and Crossbows all fully upgraded, but rest of the defenses are not upgraded yet. Have max pups, dragons, loons, lightning and earthquake, and goblins. Which are all I use. Max electric dragons too.

Worth it to make the jump?  I mostly use those two bases to feed pups and earthquakes to the other bases, being able to give each other Stone Slammers, plus the other base that'll be TH11 before long, figured might be worth it so I'm not requesting them as much.

Also, is there an idle base I can remove to get SuggestiveWink back into the clan?

So got bored and back at it at least for awhile.

Have two TH11,  3 TH10 and 3 more that will be TH10 in 2 days, and 2 TH9.

Debating if I should just make the jump on my TH11 to TH12 so I can start building towards being able to make Stone Slammers. I mostly am going dragons and lava pups, and then if I want to drop trophies, pure goblin raids.  Those Stone Slammers are just amazing to have on the dragon raids.   One of my TH10 is close to maxed on buildings so will be going to TH11 soon and I'll be able to request Stone Slammers with it then.

TH11s have the Eagle, Infernos and Crossbows all fully upgraded, but rest of the defenses are not upgraded yet. Have max pups, dragons, loons, lightning and earthquake, and goblins. Which are all I use. Max electric dragons too.

Worth it to make the jump?  I mostly use those two bases to feed pups and earthquakes to the other bases, being able to give each other Stone Slammers, plus the other base that'll be TH11 before long, figured might be worth it so I'm not requesting them as much.

Also, is there an idle base I can remove to get SuggestiveWink back into the clan?
Think I found a base to boot, just want to make sure it’s not one of yours. 

Since the 2020 challenge was easily the toughest, tossing in my comments on using judo sloth's method.

First, a quick cheatsheet of the method. Note I change the opening and only use 1 balloon and 1 minion to only get the tesla and I don't worry about the archer tower, and this worked far better. Use the extra dragon and balloon when you deploy the rest en masse.

Confirm Warden is air mode

(Greg's opening change)
1) 1 Balloon bottom left right on corner and immediately 1 minion, they will take out the tesla

2) North of base, battle blimp.
Rage between TH and lab
1 balloon on each of 4 teslas

3) After CC lured, 1 archer on south
When lava pup arrives:
1 dragon
King
Queen

4) Rest of dragons across bottom right
1 Skeleton spell into each compartment
Grand warden (deploy middle-rightish)
Balloons
Freeze inferno/queen on right
Royal champ in bottom middle

5) When air units near halfway point of first row of compartments:
Skeleton into left and middle compartments.
Grand warden ability to cover balloons on right so they reach AD without getting hit

6) Freez central inferno once when it targets Royal Champ

7) 2 Skeleton in back left and middle compartments as units near middle of previous set.
Freeze the AD/Scattershot twice as units are approaching.

Some other notes. Step 2 with the battle blimp and the 4 balloons. If you do not kill all 4 Teslas with the balloons, plus of course the TH, then just quit and play again. You'll only be about 20 seconds into the fight so just start over. On the right, the bottom-most tesla has a black air mine covering it that if you deploy too quickly may go after your balloon instead of after the battle blimp, so if you see that you aren't letting battle blimp get quite far enough in. Also make sure you're deploy the balloons as close to the tesla as possible as even a slightly longer flight time can cause it to fail to kill it. Even with all that in mind, you may only get 1 play in 2 or 3 that you get all the teslas. But if you get the teslas you tend to also get all the mortars and even sometimes an extra building. Well worth it to only play on if you succeeded fully in step 2 since it's only a short time lost if you restart.

Other key thing is that you get your spells off in the right moments. Step 4 deploying dragons, right after do the skeletons, do not try to drop the balloons or the dragons will already be getting beat up for lack of the skeletons drawing fire. Be fast on getting that freeze onto the right side inferno and queen once balloons and warden are deployed. And don't forget to get your Royal Champ in (I sometimes forgot to drop him in the rush). He wants to be very middle as you want him getting that central compartment inferno later and he will stray to either side, especially if deployed too far over.

Hitting the Warden ability at the right moment was the single biggest influencer of the outcome of the final half of attack for me. His ability lasts a long time, balloons can fly all the way from middle of previous compartments up to the right side AD while invulnerable. If you trigger it too late, or if he's not covering most of that ride side, they get obliterated on the approach. You need him to cover the right side units in particular, but he's got enough range he can cover the middle also. So deploy him maybe along the boundary between the right and middle compartments, but if in doubt, shade further right.

Note the skeleton spells, the bottom compartments each get one, and then the middle row and top rows the left and mid compartments each get one but the right side do not.

Similarly, the final compartments, use those two final freezes on the middle top compartment to freeze the scattershot and AD as your units are just coming into range. Also you should already have your skeleton in that compartment, so they will be getting in hits during the 2 freezes which helps tremendously and you end up with extra units to go help clear out the inferno on the left. Each time it's the approach that needs the cover, you lose too much if you let them fire while units are clearing the last of previous compartment. Freezing the inferno wasn't necessary I found, the scattershot with splash was the bigger threat so freeze it twice. After that the sheer number of units left will beat the inferno.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread