What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Punk/ Hardcore Music Thread (1 Viewer)

Link to the Lars post?
Can't find it. Just remember Acer talking about it. On the bus from the Warped Tour or something similar. It was an off-handed comment, but something I remember. You'll have to ask him. I probably shouldn't have made too much of it, but given their CCCP leanings, I'm not sure it's inaccurate. 

I'd like to drop this here. La Dispute is one heck of a band. This is an Audiotree recording, a live studio recording in Chicago. Screamo revival and post-hardcore, but metal and thoughtful. Not necessarily about girls, though some songs are about love. Just more thoughtful than your average post-hardcore. The interviewer breaks the intensity up, but that's his job to do that. I'd love to see these guys do a set. From the Wildlife era of their band.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtUbkp8ZCc 

I'd like to drop this here. La Dispute is one heck of a band. This is an Audiotree recording, a live studio recording in Chicago. Screamo revival and post-hardcore, but metal and thoughtful. Not necessarily about girls, though some songs are about love. Just more thoughtful than your average post-hardcore. The interviewer breaks the intensity up, but that's his job to do that. I'd love to see these guys do a set. From the Wildlife era of their band.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtUbkp8ZCc 
I drafted these guys for Emo Genrepalooza.  I have trouble with the singer screaming at me over album length but for a couple of songs, it's pretty good.

I drafted these guys for Emo Genrepalooza.  I have trouble with the singer screaming at me over album length but for a couple of songs, it's pretty good.
You did? I didn't remember that. Good pull. Maybe that's where I heard of them, frankly, because they weren't on my radar otherwise. I generally do try and get around and listen to the lists and people's selections. It makes sense now why I'd hear of them and Touche Amore recently, because I don't think they're really overground at all.  

eta* what song did you take, just out of curiosity?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Limp Ditka said:
I saw Agent Orange around 2008 or so in a tiny club in New Haven. I was so blitzkrieged that I don't remember anything about the show except for hanging out with my apartment neighbor named Hoss who played in Broken, a sort of famous New Haven punk band. Agent Orange played Bloodstains, IIRC. Yeah!  

Cool night. Broken is actually a very cool band.  

rockaction said:
You did? I didn't remember that. Good pull. Maybe that's where I heard of them, frankly, because they weren't on my radar otherwise. I generally do try and get around and listen to the lists and people's selections. It makes sense now why I'd hear of them and Touche Amore recently, because I don't think they're really overground at all.  

eta* what song did you take, just out of curiosity?  
Woman (Reading)

That's a really good song off of a really good and underrated album, IMO. People love Wildlife, apparently, but I think the narrative progression of the lyrics in Rooms Of The House is a little bit better; a little bit more mature, a little bit wonderful. 

I'm eagerly awaiting their fourth album that they're in the process of recording.  

I think that puking at 7:00 in the morning from alcohol-induced libations while listening to "Dirt" by The Stooges' Fun House deserves mention here. Pretty ####### punk, IMO.  
replace: puking with dancing, alcohol-induced libations with bubble tea and raspberry scones, and the Stooges' Fun House with The Collected Works of Bette Midler-The Broadway Years - and we got ourselves a J.Peterman catalog entry  :thumbup:

replace: puking with dancing, alcohol-induced libations with bubble tea and raspberry scones, and the Stooges' Fun House with The Collected Works of Bette Midler-The Broadway Years - and we got ourselves a J.Peterman catalog entry  :thumbup:
####### LOLZ. 

eta* wtf? Genius.  

Spinning Title Fight's 2013 Spring Songs EP right now. Nice, melodic type stuff that shows their evolution from screamers to almost dream pop. 

So I don't know what it's doing in this thread, but I do know they're generally considered part of the new hardcore wave.

Highlight: Be A Toy

Reading back through this thread and realizing that, for the first time, I'm not embarrassing myself (socially) or being a jerk. That I just genuinely love this ####. 

:blackdot:

Will be posting up in here. Keep at it guys. Love to hear it. I got my best recs by posters that post in here the past few years. Awesome. 

The Muslims/Soft Pack, which is what I'm listening to tonight. A decade old Strokes/garage #### from San Diego.  

Beside Myself: https://youtu.be/we16xs8QmFo

Bright Side: https://youtu.be/pu9i8Ldpda0

Both songs worthy listens out of San Diego, which has an unheralded but good music scene. (The rents, however, are obscene!) The band underwent a name change from The Muslims to The Soft Pack, which morphed into a new wave band in the aughts, so if you're Spotifying, that's what happened. Two garage albums under two different names and then a clunker in 2012. Ooof.  

Somehow I fell into this new friendgroup that loves anarcho punk type music and I really got turned onto Ramshackle Glory and other Pat the Bunny bands. I know music is a subjective experience, but it's hard to find a more sincere sound than this guy from my point of view. I could just list songs that I love but it would be so many it's a waste of time. Probably Nothing Possibly Everything and Live the Dream is so far my favorite albums from this dude. @rockaction you are the expert, I'm sure you've heard Pat's stuff before. Anything like this or is he a one and only type of musician? TIA!

Somehow I fell into this new friendgroup that loves anarcho punk type music and I really got turned onto Ramshackle Glory and other Pat the Bunny bands. I know music is a subjective experience, but it's hard to find a more sincere sound than this guy from my point of view. I could just list songs that I love but it would be so many it's a waste of time. Probably Nothing Possibly Everything and Live the Dream is so far my favorite albums from this dude. @rockaction you are the expert, I'm sure you've heard Pat's stuff before. Anything like this or is he a one and only type of musician? TIA!
Ded! Nah, I'm old. Can you link it? Or I can look up Pat the Bunny. Dude, I'm so out of it I just started listening to AJJ and chose it for a music/football draft. It was 2007  :bag:

Hey, at the risk of sounding weird, I was driving the other day and wondered how your new job was going? How is it, if you're so inclined to tell? 

Hey Dedfin, I listened to Pat The Bunny. Sounds like the punk/folk movement of the early teens this century. That style became prevalent with Frank Turner, Against Me!, Andrew Jackson Jihad, and others like them (though the latter two hit their stride in 2008, IMO. Just didn't get press until the teens). Anyway, I recently enjoyed AJJ and my friends own CDs by Turner and Against Me! from back when CDs existed!  

Eephus might also actually be your guy. I've never been a folkie except in rare and interesting circumstances (I'm an admitted huge Ani DiFranco fan, by God!) so when my friends, who are also former/current aging punks like Frank Turner and his ilk, it confuses me. Like a #######. They get it, I don't.  

But that's it. He does sound sincere, but can sincerity carry the day? 

Heh. Nah, #### it. Enjoy it. 

Have you been to the Cafe Nine yet? You might catch people on open mic like that.  

Ded! Nah, I'm old. Can you link it? Or I can look up Pat the Bunny. Dude, I'm so out of it I just started listening to AJJ and chose it for a music/football draft. It was 2007  :bag:

Hey, at the risk of sounding weird, I was driving the other day and wondered how your new job was going? How is it, if you're so inclined to tell? 
Live the Dream

Probably Nothing Possibly Everything

My new job's funding ran out for me. This wasn't a surprise since I knew it was coming to an end. It was still great because I got a chance to meet a ton of people on the physics world. Now my job is on the road most of the time, which I like a lot. I travel to DOE labs among other things. I still have my apt in New Haven so when I can make it back I have a place to stay, that and Ohio (I promise I won't vote twice harrharrr)

I might have some business in LA early next year, you live there right? I'm meeting up with a friend at USC but maybe we can cornhole if my schedule allows me.

Have you been to the Cafe Nine yet? You might catch people on open mic like that.  
No.. (see above) I've merely just been keeping my stuff in NH now. It's on my list though!

I'll check out AJJ.

Live the Dream

Probably Nothing Possibly Everything

My new job's funding ran out for me. This wasn't a surprise since I knew it was coming to an end. It was still great because I got a chance to meet a ton of people on the physics world. Now my job is on the road most of the time, which I like a lot. I travel to DOE labs among other things. I still have my apt in New Haven so when I can make it back I have a place to stay, that and Ohio (I promise I won't vote twice harrharrr)

I might have some business in LA early next year, you live there right? I'm meeting up with a friend at USC but maybe we can cornhole if my schedule allows me.

No.. (see above) I've merely just been keeping my stuff in NH now. It's on my list though!

I'll check out AJJ.
Word. Sorry your funding. Glad you at least get to meet people (maybe a rec?)

As for the bolded,  :lmao:

Have your written Uncle Corn Cob about it?  

Pat's vids on Fistful of Vinyl are pretty good. He's retired now unfortunately and it seems permanent. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWwswVeuaR6TU8oDjMKQkgIBngw4NtMxr

Days N Days are also pretty good. Homemade, unique instruments+dirty clothes+heroin seems to be the formula in the current folk punk trend. Some of it is quite good though. 

Bump for possible merge with punk draft. 

Mods, would you consider merging this with the PUNK draft thread?    

Went to a reading last week by John Doe.  His new book More Fun in the New World: The Unmaking and Legacy of L.A. Punk covers LA Punk 1982-87.  It's a sequel to an earlier volume about the scene's rise.  Like its predecessor, the book combines chapters written by Doe with oral history transcribed by co-writer Tom DeSavia.   Sounds good but I'll have to let you know how it is after Mrs. Eephus finishes.
Interesting. Other than The Minutemen and D.R.I. and Suicidal, I can't think of too much LA punk that I like from that time period. Then it's all crossover, IMHO. The Gun Club might be around there as hugely influential, too.

Suicidal, for all their mid-90s drift away from punk, really are the punk story of that era. The movement from punk to crossover was felt greatly in L.A., IIRC.

Went to a reading last week by John Doe.  His new book More Fun in the New World: The Unmaking and Legacy of L.A. Punk covers LA Punk 1982-87.  It's a sequel to an earlier volume about the scene's rise.  Like its predecessor, the book combines chapters written by Doe with oral history transcribed by co-writer Tom DeSavia.   Sounds good but I'll have to let you know how it is after Mrs. Eephus finishes.
The whole "punk gangs" shtick back then was really something.

This might be common knowledge but I only learned of this the other day... The origins of the sample of "Because you're wild man...WILD!" That the Beastie Boys used. Throwing it in this thread cause the other band on the bill was Black Flag, Henry Rollins era although the quote was from Cronos of black metal pioneers Venom. Anyway:

https://boingboing.net/2013/02/01/the-epic-venom-banter-mixtape.html

rockaction said:
Interesting. Other than The Minutemen and D.R.I. and Suicidal, I can't think of too much LA punk that I like from that time period. Then it's all crossover, IMHO. The Gun Club might be around there as hugely influential, too.
San Pedro is not L.A. But ok. 

The Germs and Agent Orange? 

82-87 were tough years for punk in general.  I know they were up here.  There weren't many places that would book punk bands anymore, which was tough for a scene that depended on live shows.  Some of the clubs' reluctance was justified because more than a few punks acted like ####s and things got broken.

But musically, I think a lot of the SST stuff from that era holds up pretty well, in spite of Spot's punk recording aesthetic.  X got labelled as sellouts when they signed with Elektra but Big Black Sun and More Fun have always been my favorite records of theirs.  I listened again to Ain't Love Grand last week and it's still weird and awful.

rockaction said:
X, Descendants,  Black Flag, Fear, Circle Jerks?

X, Descendants,  Black Flag, Fear, Circle Jerks?
Most of that stuff came out from '77 - '81, believe it or not. At least the groups' best stuff did, save the notable exception of The Descendents.

Black Flag - Damaged was '81, easily their apex.

Descendents - Fat and Bonus Fat were pre -'82. Milo Goes To College was '82.

Fear - Fear was the seventies.

Circle Jerks - Group Sex was 1980, again easily their apex.

X - X was great from '76 or '77 through '82 , then there's a drop-off.

John Doe chose '82 as a cutoff point likely for a reason.

The '82-'87 period is the mid-career period for those bands' lineups. 

Doe's first book covered 77-81.  The new one includes offshoots from LA Punk; bands that came out of the scene but weren't a part of it like The Go Gos, The Blasters, Lone Justice and Fishbone.  Social Distortion and TSOL are in there as well.

Henry Rollins, Tony Hawk, Sheperd Fairey and Mike Watt each get a chapter to tell their story.  Doe's co-author joked that Watt's first draft was 25,000 words with only about ten periods--most of which came from D. Boon's name.

Most of that stuff came out from '77 - '81, believe it or not. At least the groups' best stuff did, save the notable exception of The Descendents.

Black Flag - Damaged was '81, easily their apex.

Descendents - Fat and Bonus Fat were pre -'82. Milo Goes To College was '82.

Fear - Fear was the seventies.

Circle Jerks - Group Sex was 1980, again easily their apex.

X - X was great from '76 or '77 through '82 , then there's a drop-off.

I'll accept this. I still love some of the Descendents stuff that came out after that, and thought Damaged was later than 1981.

Doe's first book covered 77-81.  The new one includes offshoots from LA Punk; bands that came out of the scene but weren't a part of it like The Go Gos, The Blasters, Lone Justice and Fishbone.  Social Distortion and TSOL are in there as well.

Henry Rollins, Tony Hawk, Sheperd Fairey and Mike Watt each get a chapter to tell their story.  Doe's co-author joked that Watt's first draft was 25,000 words with only about ten periods--most of which came from D. Boon's name. 
:lmao: I ####### love Mike Watt. 

Checking out this proto-punk package at Rhino Records. Looks like a potential purchase forthwith:

MC5 - Total Assault  

3 LPs, a book, and a package sounds reasonable at seventy-five bucks.

eta* I forgot how much I liked Sister Anne off of High Time

Not sure post-rock qualifies for this thread, but I am listening to My Father My King and the Come On Die Young box set by Mogwai right now. It's early morning here, and I'm really enjoying some songs I haven't heard in a while.

Come On Die Young begins with a song called, appropriately, "Punk Rock." It's a snippet of Iggy Pop talking about Johnny Rotten set to music. Just a nice introduction to an instrumental album that Mogwai -- back then -- would have described as punk in spirit.

Users who are viewing this thread