What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Punk/ Hardcore Music Thread (1 Viewer)

Listening to Teengenerate's Get Action right now on vinyl and realizing that like with most Crypt releases, the album track list was entirely different on the second side than the first. What a surprise and an introduction to a new song. Cleveland did ever have itself some mid-seventies punk.

Herewith the Teengenerates covering the Pagans's "Six and Change," also off of a re-release, linked also for good measure:

Six and Change

Six and Change - Pagans

Just purchased tickets to a Dillinger Four 25th anniversary show at the legendary First Avenue in Minneapolis on Saturday Dec 14th.

With ####### Pegboy opening.

2 of my all time favorite punk bands in one night. Hopefully I don't hurt myself in the pit. But most of the attendees will be just like me, middle aged punks stoked to relive some of the old glory.

Just purchased tickets to a Dillinger Four 25th anniversary show at the legendary First Avenue in Minneapolis on Saturday Dec 14th.

With ####### Pegboy opening.

2 of my all time favorite punk bands in one night. Hopefully I don't hurt myself in the pit. But most of the attendees will be just like me, middle aged punks stoked to relive some of the old glory.
Awesome. Just simply one of the best punk bands ever.

Mix my punk with politics/they ask me what the use is/I'm not into making excuses/And I'll die the day I find I'm ####### useless

Day is dawn...

I never, for some reason, got into Avail. I know you dig them. I'll have to check that out.  
His solo record is a whole different bag than Avail fwiw, he's mostly been an acoustic guitar-only guy, although these songs have more piano/drums, etc.

From everything I've heard, none of what he sings about is shtick. Dude really gets out there and rides the rails.

Wow. Avail and the Misfits are the only two bands that compete with D4 or Pegboy for punk rock supremacy in my brain. They were great.

And yeah, Barry's stuff is nothing like Avail. Still solid, but not really my thing mostly.

Im so out of the loop that I missed The Misfits and Rancid at MSG. 

Luckily, I was able to grab tickets for the Philly show. But Rancid >>> Dropkick Murphys for me. But excited to see the Misfits for the first time (all together)

I’m not really into punk myself but one of my very good friends is the main guy in Lawrence Arms and Falcon (2 different bands). Anyone know of either of those bands?
Falcon, no. But Lawrence Arms are excellent. Listened to them a lot 10-15 years ago. Don't have the time to seek out bands nor the collegiate and post-collegiate social circle to introduce me to new stuff that I used to, so I haven't kept up on the scene much. Is Lawrence Arms still around?

Falcon, no. But Lawrence Arms are excellent. Listened to them a lot 10-15 years ago. Don't have the time to seek out bands nor the collegiate and post-collegiate social circle to introduce me to new stuff that I used to, so I haven't kept up on the scene much. Is Lawrence Arms still around?
According to Brendan they are as relevant/popular as they’ve ever been. They went on tour with Bad Religion this past summer. 

Im so out of the loop that I missed The Misfits and Rancid at MSG. 

Luckily, I was able to grab tickets for the Philly show. But Rancid >>> Dropkick Murphys for me. But excited to see the Misfits for the first time (all together)
Sitting in wells fargo

:headbang:

went to Tony Lukes for cheesesteaks and ran into some guy named the Tank who worked for the Misfits back in the day. We share some common friends. Punk world is small. 

Just listened to this and it really rocks. Can play most songs on bandcamp.

We were living in Cincinnati

WE WERE LIVING IN CINCINNATI is the culmination of a long-idealized project from Peter Aaron of the Chrome Cranks, who amassed a large collection of Cincinnati-area records and demo tapes from the 70s & 80s, lots of which have never been comped before, and four of which are presented here on vinyl for the first time anywhere. We all love the incredible music from Ohio’s other more well-known punk spawning grounds, and Ohio is THE Mesopotamia of Punk after all, so it’s our great pleasure to release another lesser-known corner of the state’s rich underground music history for you, and man is it gonna change your mind about Cincinnati!. 

Man, that's Saturday, and on Friday is Nas/Dave East/Method Man/Too Short/Rza in Oakland.

Might need to take a weekend that weekend.
Ive heard of all those guys except dave east. in fact, the other guys are basically legends. how did dave east get on that ticket and get second billing. 

Ive heard of all those guys except dave east. in fact, the other guys are basically legends. how did dave east get on that ticket and get second billing. 
That may not be the exact order. Honestly it would be weird if Too Short didn't headline in Oakland, local guys (like anywhere) are a much bigger deal.

Debating the Pennywise show at UC Berkeley on January 17th, got to see how the fun funds shake out after vegas the weekend before. Adolescents and Guttermouth would bring back good memories of my life from 94-96.

Sitting in wells fargo

:headbang:

went to Tony Lukes for cheesesteaks and ran into some guy named the Tank who worked for the Misfits back in the day. We share some common friends. Punk world is small. 
Jealous. Two of my favorites.  I'm starting to think Tim Armstrong may be the most relevant musician of the last 30-40 years looking at his body of work and influence.

Aaaand, 20 ish years ago I got to see the Murphy's right after Al Barr joined them and they were touring with Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards. DM's guitarist fell out of a car and broke his arm the night before in NOLA so Lars stepped in and played the Murphs set as well.

Yeah not happy I missed the misfits last month and now I just realized I’m in Vegas when black flag plays up in Petaluma :wall:

Alright, update on the D4-Pegboy show on Dec 14th:

####ing amazing. Met several friends there. My buddy from Denver flew into MPLS for the show. Great time had by all. It was Dillinger Four's 25th anniversary show, and it had been 25 years since Pegboy had played the main room at First Avenue (and I was ####ing there, in the fall of 1994, along with three of the guys I went to this show with; yes we're old).

Pegboy doing Strong Reaction

At 2:02 that's me and 3 friends are singing "That's allright and that's OK!" into the mike.

Punk rock rules.

100 best Punk & Emo albums of the decade according to Brooklyn Vegan.   White Lung, Foxing and Japandroids make the podium.

Kind of a weird list but it was a weird decade  Your mileage may vary on the punkness of some of the selections.
Punk has been weird. My favorite punk band of the past five years is well represented. Touche Amore clocks in at 73, 21, 6. I can't recommend them enough in this thread and on the board. Beautifully played, hyperspeed melodies, screamed cathartic vocals.

This is the ringtone I have for a friend who is near and dear to me and is well represented by this song.  ~ and ~ (live).

Title Fight checks in at 9 with Floral Green, another album I love. Like A Ritual.

La Dispute with Wildlife in the seventies and Rooms Of The House in the thirties. Edward Benz, 27 Times (studio session, awesome recording).

The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die sends in one or two from my birthplace of CT. Getting Sodas.

I thought I had outgrown punk. Punk may have just had sort of a bad decade. I love these albums.

Last edited by a moderator:

####ing amazing. Met several friends there. My buddy from Denver flew into MPLS for the show. Great time had by all. It was Dillinger Four's 25th anniversary show, and it had been 25 years since Pegboy had played the main room at First Avenue (and I was ####ing there, in the fall of 1994, along with three of the guys I went to this show with; yes we're old).

At 2:02 that's me and 3 friends are singing "That's allright and that's OK!" into the mike.

Punk rock rules.
I can't like this enough but can't bring myself to also watch the video and destroy your board anonymity. Also, something about jealousy. Two of my favorite bands from that era, easily.

Lovely post. Part made my night reading it. You live in an area, it seems, that gave birth to and deserves impromptu such as that.

And punk rock does indeed rule. 

I can't like this enough but can't bring myself to also watch the video and destroy your board anonymity. Also, something about jealousy. Two of my favorite bands from that era, easily.

Lovely post. Part made my night reading it. You live in an area, it seems, that gave birth to and deserves impromptu such as that.

And punk rock does indeed rule. 
Go ahead and watch the video. I only recognized myself and my buddies on the video because of the timing and where we were standing. You can't make out any faces or anything.

I have a low enough profile around here that I don't care all that much anyway.

Go ahead and watch the video. I only recognized myself and my buddies on the video because of the timing and where we were standing. You can't make out any faces or anything.

I have a low enough profile around here that I don't care all that much anyway.
Oh, I was kidding, really. i wasn't that worried for you, nor being altruistic. I was worried about getting a face with a name, which is always jarring. It was a light-hearted thing about why I didn't click.  

Cool stuff, though. I had the Pegboy EP Fore!, and loved it. The one Albini played on, which I think was unlike their full-length, though I'm doing this off of the top of my head. . 

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk rock rules.
So epic, play the #### out of this song still as it’s on one of my favorite surf movies.

WHOA.

I will check this out some time in the very near future. Many thanks for the link.

Just for fun, one of my favorite newer bands, speaking of SoCal.
Yeah, I hadn’t seen it before. It centers on the Cukoos Nest, I was 6 when that place closed but I’d hear stories about it all the time from my uncle and his best friend (basically my uncle as well). Watching it I had a feeling they’d touch on what happened with his friend there but to see actual footage of a young pat brown had me tear up, sent it to my uncle who rightfully shed some tears to seeing his best friend look young and alive. Rip uncle Pat 

Users who are viewing this thread