What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Punk/ Hardcore Music Thread (3 Viewers)

To answer hugh above

I was a NY hardcore kid. Floorpunching, karate kicking, wall of death type stuff. Everything you would see in a sick of it all video

Anyway, I went out to Arizona with my dad after my second year of college. AFI was opening for The Offspring in Tempe I think. This was back in 97 or so. I see these guys in the pit for AFI that were friends of friends. They were in a jersey group called Heckle. Well, after saying hello, they tell me that they are on tour with AFI and this was a special show for AFI. This was soon after Very Proud of You came out.

So AFI start playing and we are doing our typical NYHC dooshbag stuff. Well, the people in AZ didn't like this much. The bouncers were actually in the pit. I look over and see two of the bouncers choking out the drummer from Heckle because of our dancing. I run over and crack one guy in the face. Three huge guys who I can only assume were the offensive line from ASU picked me up by my neck and throw me to the ground. They yank me.up and use my head to open the door as they throw me out. The lead singer from Heckle gets thrown out also.

Small problem, my father and uncle came to the show also. So I'm outside, they are inside and this is before cell phones. Me and heckle singer decided to just run past this old security guy who was supposed to be taking tickets. I steered clear.of the dance floor because I didnt feel like being a tackle dummy again.

So yeah, crowds and venues are drastically different everywhere.

Sweet, sweet Buzzcock-esque stuff. The Cigarettes are something special. Check the first track and love it. Total mod. I was also going to post the Interpreters, a Philly mod band that put out a very worthy album called Back In The U.S.S.A. in '00 or so, but I couldn't find it except for an offer on amazon. Trust me, pay the one cent for it. It's a back-to-front ripper.

Interpreters on amazon.com

The Cigarettes Will Damage Your Health full album
I used to listen to The Interpreters. Got one of their promo EPs and really liked it. I'll have to dig it back up.

You also reminded me of a band I really fell in love with around '94. I was visiting/partying with my brother at WVU and he had a friend in town in a band from Philly called Grady. He gave me a tape and played the #### out of it for years. Still have it. I just tried to look them up. They have a website that was last updated in 2000 with a 3 tracks online to listen to. Versions of Jones and Dishpan Hands were on my tape, but these are a touch different. I like my tape better. I've been meaning to find that thing. I'll dig that up too.

Check them out if you like. There were a couple popups on the main page. This direct link isn't giving me trouble.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/grady/merch.html

Is there a bad song on this post-hardcore classic? Holy ####, I'm late to the game on this one. Everyone was telling me…Jesus, this is jaw-dropping.

Invalid Litter Dept. - At the Drive-In
If I didn't catch every show they played in my general geographic area, I got close, I happened to catch them 2nd on a bill of five on one of their first tours and they played their ####### asses off. I've never seen anything like them before.

Very Proud of You
I'm in the live pic that's beneath that CD. In the front, diver going over my head.

Production on that album was pretty bad. They re-recorded some of their older stuff to its significant detriment. Seems like they straightened things out after that.

Interesting and kind of nice. Good for them. Green Day allowed back at Gilman Street. I know they're wildly popular and anything with Green Day is barely punk to casual observers, but this is cool if you ever got into a fight about major labels and distribution and pop punk's general importance. I thought 86 was one of the best songs from their oeuvre, as was that album (Insomniac) and then Nimrod. I have weird taste. :shrug:

http://www.avclub.com/article/green-day-got-its-cred-back-no-longer-banned-924-g-219584

I love all the Green Day up thru Warning. Only been to Gilman once. Plea for Peace show in...... '99?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all the Green Day up thru Warning. Only been to Gilman once. Plea for Peace show in...... '99?
Insomniac is pretty great.

The whole thing was a bit peculiar. It was a benefit for AK Press, which burned down a few months ago and unfortunately killed a couple of the people who lived/worked there. Passed vote pretty overwhelmingly from what I heard, but odd that they held a benefit in a small club when they could've packed out a venue 20x that size. Nevertheless, GD are good dudes and their money is where their mouth is in terms of supporting local stuff.

So I saw that Pennywise is playing Irving Plaza. My wife asked if I wanted to go

I said nah, I think Im done going to shows where I have to stand all night and no seats to relax

Is it over for me?
yes.

I can't even remember who it was, but after the last couple of shows I (and maybe a bike accident or two), I've developed horrible tinnitus that's only gotten worse. even with ear-plugs, I'm too worried about losing hearing or making this worse.

other than seeing Drum Belly tomorrow in Chelsea, my live-music days are done.
I'm probably older than the lot of you but there's still no better night out than live music. I still get a lot of joy out of being part of the crowd and the occasional incidental body contact with a chick who's young enough to be my daughter. There are aspects of gigs that have lost some of their appeal: the standing around between bands, the disgusting bathrooms, the bros tapping on their cellphones but I usually get over that when the lights go down and the music goes up.
I miss it. :kicksrock:
Just ####### do it every once in a while. No excuses. Go to a show. You won't regret it. I promise. I'm with Eeph. It makes me feel like a kid again and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. :pogo:
see top post. :kicksrock:

:( Sorry bout that, Flops.

I just went to see The Copyrights and Teenage Bottlerocket Sunday night. Bottle rocket is actually selling branded bottle rockets at their mercy table now :lol:

Love both those bands. I took a couple friends who frequent giant festivals and go to big amphitheater shows. I told them that seeing those two ads is as good of a "super show" you could come up with for me. 2 of my favorite bands. For only $12. In a bar that holds like 150 people.

Speaking of getting old, I strained my calf pogo'ing and it totally went out on me an hr in to pickup soccer the next day. So that sucked.

Watched this the other night. I hated, hated the belligerence of straight edge HC that Judge brought in, but this was very much worth a watch and a study, even.

Nice stuff, and it makes me rethink some stuff that I'd always held as shibboleth. (Like, that I ####### hated Mike Judge and his #### followers, which was interesting, because I loved Youth of Today and was unaware of its history.)

http://noisey.vice.com/there-will-be-quiet/there-will-be-quiet-the-story-of-judge-part-1

It's four parts. If you're interested, you can follow it. Just figured I'd post, as it seems relevant to the thread.

Watched this the other night. I hated, hated the belligerence of straight edge HC that Judge brought in, but this was very much worth a watch and a study, even.

Nice stuff, and it makes me rethink some stuff that I'd always held as shibboleth. (Like, that I ####### hated Mike Judge and his #### followers, which was interesting, because I loved Youth of Today and was unaware of its history.)

http://noisey.vice.com/there-will-be-quiet/there-will-be-quiet-the-story-of-judge-part-1

It's four parts. If you're interested, you can follow it. Just figured I'd post, as it seems relevant to the thread.
blackdot

I always had a soft spot for straightedge vegan hardcore

of course its blocked at work

The one thing I have learned as I got older is that so much of what we thought was real was made up bull####. I didnt start going to hardcore shows until 95, so I missed the golden age of NYHC and CBGB matinees. When I started going to shows, Ray and Porcell were in Shelter, Civ was in Gorilla Biscuits, Ernie from Token Entry was doing Black Train Jack, Chaka was in Orange 9MM, Richie was doing Into Another and Walter was off with Quicksand. Judge was out of the scene all together. The stuff you hear 10 years later is no where near accurate and I think a lot of what you say about Judge is about those perceptions after the fact.

I was and still am Straight Edge. But I didnt let that tenet be dictated by anyone or any band. I think my good bud Toby H2O said it best when he said I am drug free, the rest of my band and friends are more than happy to take free drugs.

h

sXe, nXy

c

of course its blocked at work

The one thing I have learned as I got older is that so much of what we thought was real was made up bull####. I didnt start going to hardcore shows until 95, so I missed the golden age of NYHC and CBGB matinees. When I started going to shows, Ray and Porcell were in Shelter, Civ was in Gorilla Biscuits, Ernie from Token Entry was doing Black Train Jack, Chaka was in Orange 9MM, Richie was doing Into Another and Walter was off with Quicksand. Judge was out of the scene all together. The stuff you hear 10 years later is no where near accurate and I think a lot of what you say about Judge is about those perceptions after the fact.

I was and still am Straight Edge. But I didnt let that tenet be dictated by anyone or any band. I think my good bud Toby H2O said it best when he said I am drug free, the rest of my band and friends are more than happy to take free drugs.

h

sXe, nXy

c
Yeah, I'd generally agree with you about the perception after the fact, but I'm also a bit older and I also remember going to those hardcore shows in '91 and '92 and seeing so many fights and "crews" that I began to wonder where the gangs of the inner city ended and the gangs of the suburbs started. No BS. Every show I personally went to (not many) wound up in a brawl, wound up in a dissolution of the actual show itself. I came of age when my friends liked Judge. They were still together, and I remember the tone changing for sXe, which I was at the time, even if I'd only adopted it because of Minor Threat and not the later NYHC bands.

For instance, I once watched a Shelter/108 show develop into a near-death experience in New Britain, CT, and I never attended a hardcore show again that those guys took part in. The skinheads were still following them around, the vegan Krishnas were at the shows peddling their wares, and the kids were all fighting and it almost resulted in skinhead death, which to me, is still death. All while the lead singer of Shelter had a chance to stop the violence but instead decided to lecture us all about the transient nature of beauty instead of exercising obviously needed crowd control. (When a bunch of kids are Seig Heiling your lecture, and the "crews" have started to surround them in obvious fight mode, you might want to play some music instead of delivering some abstract lecture about make-up, jars, fecal matter, and earthly beauty. Please.)

I hated every moment of it, and never went back. I was an outsider, anyway. I'm a punk. I hated that scene. Loved GB and Walter and Quicksand; I hated the attendant crap that went with it.

Here in the mid-90's, it wasn't as intense. The big bands toured through, but there wasn't this massive built-in scene, and a lot of it bled over/into the punk scene.

I like Snapcase and Ignite and a couple of others, but so much of it was just stupid. Dumb pre-song speeches (sorry Judge), leading into dumb songs, which dumb kids jumped on to each other's heads to. I've never really been able to get on board with stagediving, maybe that was my issue.

This band was great though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ANscSYi3yU&list=PLf8QHaKuDdYsKDa4kmk_R2Oql2zyVUaMb

I have heard, again, I was too young to say, that the shows in CT and Boston were some of the worst. Heck, the Boston "straight edge" number gang was like a legit FBI monitored gang. That is some scary ####. So I can see where you are coming from. I never saw that in NY. Someone went down, you picked them back up.

I always thought Ignite was a Cali band. Need to check that. You were east bay right GPJ. It was that sebowski. Anyway, loved Strife and Snapcase from those victory days. Never really liked the growl of Karl and Earth Crisis. Hatebreed did that a lot better.

Oh, and hell yeah on redemption 87. That was Timmy Chunks from Token Entry IIRC. Another thing I need to look up

Ignite is from the OC and Timmy Chunks was in Redemption 87. One thing I didnt know was that the guitarist in 87 formed the Nerve Agents. I have that album with Greedo on the cover from them. Or was that the Force. Force sounds more likely. Back to Google

Eta: I cant find any Force albums on google and the nerve agents album I have is the one with the hazmat suit. Need to go to the basement when kids go to bed

The Force were from up in BFE, Grass Valley, which is in the netherworld between Sacramento and Reno/Tahoe. AFI had them open up for them a bunch around the time of their first album, same with R87. It made a fair bit of sense that members from both of those bands eventually ended up joining AFI (Jade in particular is a spectacular guitarist). I think the first time I saw them they played with a then-fairly-unknown Anti-Flag.

Yeah Ignite is from down south, always liked them. Didn't like Earf Crisis either.

The Nerve Agents had a dude in a white owl costume just show up on stage sometimes randomly. Great stuff.

So I've been kicking around, just listening to some Rev. NØRB and stuff, and I've begun to wonder about a pretty divisive punk topic. This has pretty much been a universalist thread with a lot of agreement, niceness, etc. But I'm here to #### that up: Is End Of The Century by the Ramones, produced by Phil Spector, a bad album, a mediocre album, a good album, or a great album?

I'm going good/great. How about you guys?

eta* Okay, it's not dramatic at all. How good is this ####?

So I've been kicking around, just listening to some Rev. NØRB and stuff, and I've begun to wonder about a pretty divisive punk topic. This has pretty much been a universalist thread with a lot of agreement, niceness, etc. But I'm here to #### that up: Is End Of The Century by the Ramones, produced by Phil Spector, a bad album, a mediocre album, a good album, or a great album?

I like end of the century, but I don't think it's great by any means. I also have Boris the Sprinklers (Rev Norb) cover album of end of the century. I haven't listen to that in a while.

Prefer Ramones, Rocket to Russia and Road to Ruin. But I'd still call it borderline great, as I'm a huge Ramones fan. The thread unity continues.

Total aside, just caught wind of a Pegboy/ Stiff Little Fingers show coming up in Chicago. Killing me that I probably can't go. Anyone around here going to attend??

Prefer Ramones, Rocket to Russia and Road to Ruin. But I'd still call it borderline great, as I'm a huge Ramones fan. The thread unity continues.
Speaking of Ramones, the often ridiculed TV show Under The Dome actually played a Ramones tune, Do You Wanna Dance.

Laconfora is a refused fan. How bout that.

@JasonLaCanfora: @joshkatzowitz @FaithNoMore dude, make sure you get there in time to see Refused. They are amazing. Seeing this show in a week

That new Refused album is really bad.

I'm "friends" with N0rb on fb, he's a good guy. His column in the 90's in MRR was one of my favorites. God I'm old.

I'm "friends" with N0rb on fb, he's a good guy. His column in the 90's in MRR was one of my favorites. God I'm old.
Italicized: Yup. Mine also. Nobody wrote a better stream-of-consciousness column. I'd stopped reading by the time he got booted. Larry Livermore and Lefty Hooligan also wrote good ones at the time. Mykel Board also had a good column until he wrote about being a pedophile, and probably should have been arrested. I sort of lost interest in the mag and stopped reading the mag after Board and Zero and Count Your Lashes Queenie got regular columns and Tim Yohannon thought that excluding everything sexist except that which his friends were doing (read: The Rip Offs, Supercharger) was okay. I just sort of realized the editorial decisions were too much his own whim, and that his dogmatism kept coming to the fore. Loved to refer to the Biafra/Yohannon incident as something out of Lenin and Trotsky.

Bolded: I think I know the feeling.

Italicized: Yup. Mine also. Nobody wrote a better stream-of-consciousness column. I'd stopped reading by the time he got booted. Larry Livermore and Lefty Hooligan also wrote good ones at the time. Mykel Board also had a good column until he wrote about being a pedophile, and probably should have been arrested. I sort of lost interest in the mag and stopped reading the mag after Board and Zero and Count Your Lashes Queenie got regular columns and Tim Yohannon thought that excluding everything sexist except that which his friends were doing (read: The Rip Offs, Supercharger) was okay. I just sort of realized the editorial decisions were too much his own whim, and that his dogmatism kept coming to the fore. Loved to refer to the Biafra/Yohannon incident as something out of Lenin and Trotsky.

Holy #### I forgot all those names. I think I finally lost my MRR hoarded collection in my last move. I liked the Furious George guy most of the time. Even if it sounded like he was doing his best Ben Weasel impression. I still have my Cometbus collection....

Speaking of Weasel.... Not sure if I mentioned this before, but two weeks from tonight I'm going to see Mr T Experience, Queers, and Screeching Weasel play together. That is a crazy lineup for me. Lookout punk is my music genesis. Ok, so it's really probably just Dr. Frank, Joe, and Ben playing with a bunch of kids, but I'm still pretty excited about it even though I'm still a little disturbed by the video of Ben punching that lady at the show.... And what a #### he is. But hey, we all know our heroes are all #######s anyway.

Laconfora is a refused fan. How bout that.

@JasonLaCanfora: @joshkatzowitz @FaithNoMore dude, make sure you get there in time to see Refused. They are amazing. Seeing this show in a week
I used to read him all the time when he covered the Skins for the Post. He let me know about the NOFX traveling tv show (no passport?) in one of his columns. Had a soft spot for him ever since.

I've been thinking about this. I'm going good album. I think I like most of the songs better live, so I can't call it that great. Most of the songs are over produced for me. Some of them shined with that though.

Holy #### I forgot all those names. I think I finally lost my MRR hoarded collection in my last move. I liked the Furious George guy most of the time. Even if it sounded like he was doing his best Ben Weasel impression. I still have my Cometbus collection....

Speaking of Weasel.... Not sure if I mentioned this before, but two weeks from tonight I'm going to see Mr T Experience, Queers, and Screeching Weasel play together. That is a crazy lineup for me. Lookout punk is my music genesis. Ok, so it's really probably just Dr. Frank, Joe, and Ben playing with a bunch of kids, but I'm still pretty excited about it even though I'm still a little disturbed by the video of Ben punching that lady at the show.... And what a #### he is. But hey, we all know our heroes are all #######s anyway.
George Tabb had an awesome column. Roach Motel! He now claims to have debilitating diseases stemming from the 9/11 attacks and the lack of environmental clean-up associated with it. :shrugs:

Have a good time at the show. It will be Ben, Joe, Dr. Frank and a bunch of kids. Also my re-regenesis into punk.

Ben has been called an ####### many times, and by his own band. I weirdly hung out with Dan Panic at a Groovie Ghoulies show in '97 or '98 (he liked my shirt) and, while a great guy, he made it pretty clear that Ben Weasel was an ####### of the highest order.

I saw the Weasel/Riverdales shows about 4 years ago (I think Tarantula might be one of the best punk records of all time). Drove up to LA after work and back each night. Even had to ditch the GF's birthday for the Weasel show (she went with me to the Riverdales show :wub: ) Seen Queers a billion times. Mr. T just once in the 90s.

Any of you read Jughead's book? It is really ####### good. Crazy writing style. Really sad to read knowing how everything went down right after too.

I saw the Weasel/Riverdales shows about 4 years ago (I think Tarantula might be one of the best punk records of all time). Drove up to LA after work and back each night. Even had to ditch the GF's birthday for the Weasel show (she went with me to the Riverdales show :wub: ) Seen Queers a billion times. Mr. T just once in the 90s.

Any of you read Jughead's book? It is really ####### good. Crazy writing style. Really sad to read knowing how everything went down right after too.
Wow. I will agree that the Riverdales went from one-off rip-off to serious in the span of a decade. "Last Stop Tokyo" was one of my favorite punk songs in a long time. I hung on that for quite a while.

Never caught Jughead's book. Will have to look into it.

I gave up on the Riverdales after their first album, it struck me as an attempt to just ape the Ramones except without any of the fun or energy.

MTX/Queers/SW is big for me, too. The Weasel stuff weirds me out as well but I think I'm gonna have to go to this.

I liked the furious george articles as well. I don't know for sure, but I think he was a roadie for the Ramones.

To this day, I still love mrtx song Even Hitler had a girfriend. Genius imo

I gave up on the Riverdales after their first album, it struck me as an attempt to just ape the Ramones except without any of the fun or energy.

MTX/Queers/SW is big for me, too. The Weasel stuff weirds me out as well but I think I'm gonna have to go to this.
Saw the Riverdales in '95. At the Rathskellar in Boston. They were great. They were much, much better than one would have believed for a Ramones rip-off that sounded badly on recordings. They blew it up.

It was them, Boris The Sprinkler, and The Queers.

What a honkin' pop-punk deluxe show. I am jealous of you CA guys and the MTX/Queers/Weasel show.

Have fun.

I just got back from an east coast trip I planned around catching the Lillingtons in Brooklyn. It was awesome.
The heck? I ran out of likes. How did this go?
LOL. It was awesome and uniquely a snapshot of my punk rock life. My friend from high school who gave me my first Lillingtons tape lives in Brooklyn. I was suppose to get there from my family trip in Virginia and party with him. He took a last minute job out of town, so he bailed. He left me his bed and his roommate drank with me before show. But it was all me at the show. Used to that. Got right in front. Good times. Walked around in the rain after the show wired, but with nothing to do.

Wow. I will agree that the Riverdales went from one-off rip-off to serious in the span of a decade. "Last Stop Tokyo" was one of my favorite punk songs in a long time. I hung on that for quite a while.

Never caught Jughead's book. Will have to look into it.
That was a bit hyperbolic by me, but I do believe it. I think they were the only ones to nail the Ramones sentiment without sounding like a ripoff. Catchy rock and roll songs with power chords and just enough emotion. The last Weasel albums slotted right at the bottom of their list for me, so I didn't expect much from Tarantula. Blew me away. They nailed it. I do skip one song in the album. Other than that, it hits all my rock and roll sweet spots. Weasel and Vapid with two mins and a drummer. What else do you need?

I just got back from an east coast trip I planned around catching the Lillingtons in Brooklyn. It was awesome.
The heck? I ran out of likes. How did this go?
LOL. It was awesome and uniquely a snapshot of my punk rock life. My friend from high school who gave me my first Lillingtons tape lives in Brooklyn. I was suppose to get there from my family trip in Virginia and party with him. He took a last minute job out of town, so he bailed. He left me his bed and his roommate drank with me before show. But it was all me at the show. Used to that. Got right in front. Good times. Walked around in the rain after the show wired, but with nothing to do.
:thumbup: There was a punk rock day-glo trailer bus/bar (it was a trailer, likely makeshift and non-permitted) in the middle of a field in Brooklyn after the New Bomb Turks show in 2010 at the Bell House, IIRC. The Gunk Punk tour. Swear to God on a Bible or the death of me. Played the Dead Boys on their jukebox in the middle of a field in Brooklyn, by the bridge to the East Village. Perhaps they went out of business. Perhaps they squatted the rights to the field. :laughs: So much rawkism. I was stumbling, for sure. Whoo boy, was I on fire that night.

The opening song on that album is terrible. The rest of it rules. The slow songs are beautiful. How can you say "Not Over Me" has no energy or fun? Rehabilitated? That's as old school Ramones punk as it gets. And those slow songs :wub: Commercials even references Growing Pains! Chorus of "In Your Own Dreams" is as good a love song chorus as any in the history of music. Right up there with Teenage Bottlerocket's "Fall For Me".

The opening song on that album is terrible. The rest of it rules. The slow songs are beautiful. How can you say "Not Over Me" has no energy or fun? Rehabilitated? That's as old school Ramones punk as it gets. And those slow songs :wub: Commercials even references Growing Pains! Chorus of "In Your Own Dreams" is as good a love song chorus as any in the history of music. Right up there with Teenage Bottlerocket's "Fall For Me".
"Fun Tonight" is so much better live when Rev. Norb does the intro and they warp speed the song, which sounds a bit sour and slow on the original recording.

I think the Riverdales figured out that speed and precision were the keys, and that sounding like the Ramones sounded live -- the speed, especially -- was important to the Riverdales's success. That's when they got really good.

That first album sounds slow. Still, in keeping with the interest of the thread, I love it. "Outta Sight" was a two-girlfriend mix tape song for me. Yes, there were girlfriends and pop-punk mix tapes. I'm awful. :bag:

"Fun Tonight" is so much better live when Rev. Norb does the intro and they warp speed the song, which sounds a bit sour and slow on the original recording.

I think the Riverdales figured out that speed and precision were the keys, and that sounding like the Ramones sounded live -- the speed, especially -- was important to the Riverdales's success. That's when they got really good.

That first album sounds slow. Still, in keeping with the interest of the thread, I love it. "Outta Sight" was a two-girlfriend mix tape song for me. Yes, there were girlfriends and pop-punk mix tapes. I'm awful. :bag:
Few years ago my aforementioned friend was going through a rough patch in an engagement. I made him a mix CD of punk breakup songs and punk love songs to alternate through. Still listen to them regularly. FYI, They broke up.

Users who are viewing this thread