What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
I was looking at Marincanto but those rooms look a little dated.
i really like the junior suite and my thoughts are always that i will be in the room for a limited time.  like the prices, view, terrace and overall space.  i just need a decent shower and bed.  in this instance , being able to sit and sun on a large terrace seems a bonus.

i really like the junior suite and my thoughts are always that i will be in the room for a limited time.  like the prices, view, terrace and overall space.  i just need a decent shower and bed.  in this instance , being able to sit and sun on a large terrace seems a bonus.
I can't wait for the first night, sitting on a terrace there with a bottle of wine.

The plan for the cooking class/tour at Avignonessi fell through. Got what I thought was an email Tuesday confirming availability on 8/3, replies with my cc info to book it, got a response back the next day asking if we could do 8/2 instead. We can’t, so bummed.  :(

Now looking for a plan B. We could still go there and do the wine/lunch tour, then head to Sienna as was the plan if we did the cooking thing. Also looking for other cooking class options either in Sienna or somewhere in that same south-of-Florence area, if anyone has suggestions.

The plan for the cooking class/tour at Avignonessi fell through. Got what I thought was an email Tuesday confirming availability on 8/3, replies with my cc info to book it, got a response back the next day asking if we could do 8/2 instead. We can’t, so bummed.  :(

Now looking for a plan B. We could still go there and do the wine/lunch tour, then head to Sienna as was the plan if we did the cooking thing. Also looking for other cooking class options either in Sienna or somewhere in that same south-of-Florence area, if anyone has suggestions.
hey, PM me your name and if you really want 8/3......i have an in there and a good possibility to pull this off if you want.

Just got back from a 3 night stay in Venice on the end of a 2 week europe trip.  

The cruise ships are trying their best to ruin that place, but it's not dead yet.  There are still a lot of interesting things to do and see without hitting the areas with the hordes of people following umbrellas.

It does at times have the feel of disneyland.  Of all the places I went it had by far the most Americans.  And Americans travelling with kids.  It's basically a disney world for older kids now, I guess that's ok.

Stayed at Gritti Palace on an award. Was a great spot.  

Nice to hearing back from you.

I regret to inform you that we can not accommodate him on August 3rd because we have a big group of 55 people.

We can make them a reservation on August 2nd, sorry.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Nice to hearing back from you.

I regret to inform you that we can not accommodate him on August 3rd because we have a big group of 55 people.

We can make them a reservation on August 2nd, sorry.

Look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks for trying.

Thanks for trying.
i have a nice backup for you guys......not a winery, but a full working farm.  they make cheese, have animals, tours, cooking class and pizza making classes.  lunch as well.  i’ve gone and it was pretty amazing.  kids may like the farm tour more than a winery IMO.

podere il casale in montepulciano.

if you need a winery and add ons, try decugnano dei barbi in orvieto.  anna rita halligan is the guide and real nice.

i have a nice backup for you guys......not a winery, but a full working farm.  they make cheese, have animals, tours, cooking class and pizza making classes.  lunch as well.  i’ve gone and it was pretty amazing.  kids may like the farm tour more than a winery IMO.

podere il casale in montepulciano.

if you need a winery and add ons, try decugnano dei barbi in orvieto.  anna rita halligan is the guide and real nice.
anna rita is still there, her number for whatsapp is 011 39 345 677 4441

i just spoke with her if you contact her.....

I think we're going to bag the whole cooking class idea with Avignonessi not working out. I'm sure there are other great options but nothing was jumping out at me. Instead we booked a tour with ChemX's buddy Sergio, the Siena San Gimignano in One Day tour, which includes pick up and drop off at the front door of the apartment we're staying at. Easy and gets us to a couple of iconic towns, to a winery, and out into the countryside for a day.

Also just called to make a res at Trattoria Sostanza, home of the butter chicken many of you have been touting...they close for the entire month of August. Oh well, plenty of other options, and I will try making it at home soon.

I think we're going to bag the whole cooking class idea with Avignonessi not working out. I'm sure there are other great options but nothing was jumping out at me. Instead we booked a tour with ChemX's buddy Sergio, the Siena San Gimignano in One Day tour, which includes pick up and drop off at the front door of the apartment we're staying at. Easy and gets us to a couple of iconic towns, to a winery, and out into the countryside for a day.

Also just called to make a res at Trattoria Sostanza, home of the butter chicken many of you have been touting...they close for the entire month of August. Oh well, plenty of other options, and I will try making it at home soon.
Baldovino is my favorite restaurant in Florence.  Here is a tip they told me about.  They are on a website called "the fork".  www.thefork.com     If you make a reservation for Baldovino thru the fork you get either 20% or 30% off everything, including alcohol.  No questions asked.  Right next to Santa Croce.

Across the arno, over the Ponte Vecchio.....Da Angelo Gelateria & Gusta Pizza.

Find them and thank me later.  Also, i used a guide twice the last 2 years and she is great if needed in Firenze.

Like i also said, go to the Il Centrale Mercato for lunch upstairs.  I highly suggest finding either the porchetta woman or the trappezino stand.  Also, find the enoteca for dirt cheap high quality italian wines.  Shark tip, they have 2 hidden tables away from crowds to eat and drink.  Just watch pickpockets up there and be on alert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Across the arno, over the Ponte Vecchio.....Da Angelo Gelateria & Gusta Pizza.

Find them and thank me later.  Also, i used a guide twice the last 2 years and she is great if needed in Firenze.

Like i also said, go to the Il Centrale Mercato for lunch upstairs.  I highly suggest finding either the porchetta woman or the trappezino stand.  Also, find the enoteca for dirt cheap high quality italian wines.  Shark tip, they have 2 hidden tables away from crowds to eat and drink.  Just watch pickpockets up there and be on alert.
Gusta is already on the list, we’re staying a par 3 from there - adding the others to the list.  :thumbup:

i just realized i have been doing y'all a disservice.  this restaurant is in rome and is f'ing remarkable.  a good friend of mine, from naples, that lives in LA, whose family has had a restaurant for over 40 years recommended it to me and it's amazing.  he is a classically trained chef and opened his own restaurant to rave reviews in santa monica and it had a 15 year run.  this is the only, must go, for him in rome.  it's incredible.  it's expensive.  it has a ridiculous wine list.  go there.

roscioli salumeria

i just realized i have been doing y'all a disservice.  this restaurant is in rome and is f'ing remarkable.  a good friend of mine, from naples, that lives in LA, whose family has had a restaurant for over 40 years recommended it to me and it's amazing.  he is a classically trained chef and opened his own restaurant to rave reviews in santa monica and it had a 15 year run.  this is the only, must go, for him in rome.  it's incredible.  it's expensive.  it has a ridiculous wine list.  go there.

roscioli salumeria
only issue with roscioli is that it is famous......i know both zimmern and bourdain have hit it.

Gusta is already on the list, we’re staying a par 3 from there - adding the others to the list.  :thumbup:
As a reminder, we used Giovanna Liberotti 2x in Florence and she was awesome.  I still have a toursbylocals.com promo code if you want to book her.  She is flexible and cool and will really do anything you put together.

Your Valid Codes 

K79VTW - May 12, 2019 - Balance: 20.00 USD

only issue with roscioli is that it is famous......i know both zimmern and bourdain have hit it.
I didn't know that. My buddy, who I have been to Italy with just told me I had to go.  I had zero issues getting in, neither did my friend who just went. In fact, he went for lunch and made a reservation for dinner in 2 days time, no problem.  And both of us went in the summer.  The price was the biggest drawback. 

DA RAIDERS said:
I didn't know that. My buddy, who I have been to Italy with just told me I had to go.  I had zero issues getting in, neither did my friend who just went. In fact, he went for lunch and made a reservation for dinner in 2 days time, no problem.  And both of us went in the summer.  The price was the biggest drawback. 
just tried to make an online res, nothing available for dinner until 9:30 the nights we're there...too late but thanks for the suggestion.

just tried to make an online res, nothing available for dinner until 9:30 the nights we're there...too late but thanks for the suggestion.
looking for some rome eats?  i know some awesomely awesome places;

-il giardino romano (jewish ghetto - get the fried zucchini flowers and fried artichoke)

-la fraschetta di castello sant' angelo (absolutely awesome cool vibe....very laid back, like a bbq joint, inexpensive menu and hyper casual open all day-great staff - get the sharing board appetizer!!).

-La Tavernetta 29 da Tony e Andrea (reservation mandatory!!!  the indian waiter will insist on your reservation, but the pasta is amazing and dish sizes are killer.  the whole area is awesome)

-Da Enzo al 29 (trastevere - its the cacao e pepe stupid!!!)

Also went to a place around the corner for lunch, and it was awesome, too.  Well, the pizza was meh, but everything else was awesome.  Let me see if I can find the name. 

Meh. Deleted the pic I had.  My daughter has it somewhere if you're interested.  Little hole in the wall place in the middle of all the shopping right there. 15 tables maybe, but the food was exceptional.  Actually went there because a guy at roscioli told us it was the only place with a carbonara that could compare.  That's not usually my thing, but with that kind of rec, I wanted to try.  It missed the crispy pork cheek, but it was damn good.

So, for you avignonesi guys, me and my wife are looking to move full time to Italy during 2020.  we are beginning to look at houses and found something up our alley at an address listed as via della stella, 7, Castiglione del lago.  the house is 3 miles from our current house and listed as coordinates 43.158467, 11.943970, which is 3k or a 7 minute drive from avignonesi!!  basically, via della stella goes directly to avignonesi.

I love seeing this post on the 1st page , every time I open it  , the great memories flood back .
I hope 1 day to live at least 6 months of the year in Europe and it would either be southern spain or Italy 

on a side topic , last night was a relaxing night after a long hike and day on Tuesday so watched a bunch of rick steves episodes I had recorded.
I realized how fortunate my last 4 years have been because of the 8 episodes I watched been to 6 of those countries. it made me go back and start looking at my pictures .
I shouldn't have scraped my September trip to Europe :(  

Every righteous traveler owes themselves at least 4 trips to Italia beyond that one ridiculous catch-all trip

1) North: Piemonte, Milano, Cinqueterra, Lake district, Venezia, Trieste

2) Central: Livorno, Firenze, Toscano, Umbria, Roma

3) South: Napoli, Amalfi, Pompeii, Sorrento, Sicilia (tho that could be a trip all its own)

4) Find your Italy: Research or rent a car and try Alto or Ravenna or Le Marche or Puglia or Calabria (or this is the time you could do Sicilia). Have NO itinerary and focus on the people instead of the places. If you're not still emailing someone from that trip 20 yrs from now, you either done it wrong or you're so lame that i'll you about my Italy so you'll have a reason to exist. nufced

Last edited by a moderator:
Gelato time!  He's right there!!!
Done - so damn good. Kids think I’m a wizard bringing them to all these clutch places, tell them “buddies from work told me” but we know know what’s up.

Also hit some recs from this thread in Rome, all delivered, and have a few of my own to add when time allows.

Done - so damn good. Kids think I’m a wizard bringing them to all these clutch places, tell them “buddies from work told me” but we know know what’s up.

Also hit some recs from this thread in Rome, all delivered, and have a few of my own to add when time allows.
do tell, i want to live vicariously thru you.

Baldovino is my favorite restaurant in Florence.  Here is a tip they told me about.  They are on a website called "the fork".  www.thefork.com     If you make a reservation for Baldovino thru the fork you get either 20% or 30% off everything, including alcohol.  No questions asked.  Right next to Santa Croce.
Eating here tonight my man, you haven't failed me yet. :thumbup:

Eating here tonight my man, you haven't failed me yet. :thumbup:
buddy from work makes me laugh.....i hope you visited santa croce.

everytime i am in florence i buy a pair of gloves at Martelli Glove Factory, just off the Ponte Vecchio.

Family headed out to Rome in a week.  Will make the trip to Florence during our stay as well.  Thanks for all the great recommendations! 

Keerock said:
Family headed out to Rome in a week.  Will make the trip to Florence during our stay as well.  Thanks for all the great recommendations! 
if we hit lotto, stay there.  i’ll meet you at my place.

remind me, can you repost you itinerary?

also, for you insane rome adventurers, my wife skydived just outside of rome for about 225€ if you want to live on the edge.

if we hit lotto, stay there.  i’ll meet you at my place.

remind me, can you repost you itinerary?
In no particular order:

staying at Aurilia Residence near The Vatican 

evening tour of Coliseum 

breakfast tour of Vatican

boat ride on Tiber 

day trip to Florence - may stay one night at Hilton Garden Inn

foodie tour still in the works

restaurants/cafes still TBD

Meh. Deleted the pic I had.  My daughter has it somewhere if you're interested.  Little hole in the wall place in the middle of all the shopping right there. 15 tables maybe, but the food was exceptional.  Actually went there because a guy at roscioli told us it was the only place with a carbonara that could compare.  That's not usually my thing, but with that kind of rec, I wanted to try.  It missed the crispy pork cheek, but it was damn good.
@gianmarco Makes some good carbonara. 

Users who are viewing this thread