What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (2 Viewers)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
Ok, so tomorrow we are booking a trip/cruise.   Youngest son ( :bye:  @kutta) is leaving for Bilbao, January 11th for a semester at the college there to almost finish his Spanish degree so he can become an interpreter.   

Please feel free to add anything of value to any part of our trip.  We have been to Europe once, two years ago on Viking River cruise (21 days) from Budapest to Amsterdam.  Did three days in Prague before it.

4/7 - Fly from Boise to FCO Rome.  Land about noonish on 4/8.  Light day resting. @Chemical X recommended we stay here   In the center of the city.    I like the location, feel and price on this place....   :thumbup:    :banned:    :hifive:

4/9-10-11.... three days in Rome to do it all.   

4/12.... Board Viking Ocean Cruise for 8 days.   Can board pretty early, but it doesn't leave until 11pm.
Viking includes "walk tours" in every city as part of the price and some optional pay tours also.  We did like 50/50 on the river cruise.  Anyone have any "musts/avoids" in the cities below?

Mon 4/13...  9am .... arrive in Florence/Pisa for 33 hour stay.
Tue 4/14...  Florence/Pisa until it leaves at 6pm.
Wed 4/15.... 8am.... arrive in Monte Carlo, Monaco..... leaves 11pm
Thur 4/16....  7:30am.....arrive in Marseille, France....... leaves 6pm
Fri 4/17..... 8am..... arrive in Montpellier, France...... leaves 9pm
Sat 4/18.... 8am.... arrive in Barcelona..... have all day, does not leave.
Sun 4/19....  AM, disembark ship.....    train? to Bilbao (6 hours)

Mon 4/20, Tue 4/21, Wed 4/22 in Bilbao.  Going to Bilbao vs RCD Mallorca match on 4/22.  We actually saw Athletic Bilbao of Spain play in Boise in 2015. And in just looking up that old date, they are coming to Boise again July 25, 2020, for another friendly.  (Huge Basque population in Boise).   Any cool things to do/see in Bilbao?  TIA
:cry: :kicksrock:

Yeah we pulled down our May 2020 trip as well.  Full refunds on everything except I can't figure out the train tickets (FLO-ROM), and haven't heard back from the Vatican re: the breakfast / early entrance for the Vatican/Sistine tours.  All in all, just a terrible situation for those in Italy having to live through this.  We really hope to rebook everything and try again for May 2021!  Thanks for everyone's advice in here, and really hope everyone gets a chance to travel there in the not-too-distant future!

really wonder what will remain open after this.  the big cities will survive, its little villages like my area that most concern me.  they don’t do take out.  tourism isn’t huge to begin with.  hoping we get back in 2021, but 2020 is out for us.

Yeah we pulled down our May 2020 trip as well.  Full refunds on everything except I can't figure out the train tickets (FLO-ROM), and haven't heard back from the Vatican re: the breakfast / early entrance for the Vatican/Sistine tours.  All in all, just a terrible situation for those in Italy having to live through this.  We really hope to rebook everything and try again for May 2021!  Thanks for everyone's advice in here, and really hope everyone gets a chance to travel there in the not-too-distant future!
Since my trip was in June, I am waiting for airlines and airbnb's to be included in no penalty cancellations. Waiting, waiting.

We got a refund on the special low person vatican tour.    Did not get a refund on our four day hotel in Rome.  Did buy non-refundable, but they will only give us a credit until end of 2020. We can't commit to that at this time. Really sucks.  

We have not cancelled anything for September yet.  I used points for the plane tickets so I need to wait and see if I can get them back without a fee.  All of our hotels and airbnb's are refundable.  Might lose out on a tour or two, but hoping for a credit for next year.  I still hope we can go, but I know it won't happen.

Since my trip was in June, I am waiting for airlines and airbnb's to be included in no penalty cancellations. Waiting, waiting.
We got an Email from Air B N B about 3 weeks ago indicating that we could cancel our Barcelona stay in mid April for a full refund.

We did so and already got the refund on our credit card.

We got a refund on the special low person vatican tour.    Did not get a refund on our four day hotel in Rome.  Did buy non-refundable, but they will only give us a credit until end of 2020. We can't commit to that at this time. Really sucks.  
you tried this;

info@hotelpontesisto.it    

ask for and beg; maybe extension thru 2021.

Marcello Masi

Front Office

My emails are with:

Luca Amedeo Rosa

Front Office

And the extension was not end of year, it was Oct 8, 2020.    
I would try again.  I mean, let them know you'd hate to post this information on TripAdvisor.

They are very TA savvy and likely wont want the bad press.  But with 15,000 deaths and out government telling us we cant fly there, you cant do much.

I would try again.  I mean, let them know you'd hate to post this information on TripAdvisor.

They are very TA savvy and likely wont want the bad press.  But with 15,000 deaths and out government telling us we cant fly there, you cant do much.
I just disputed the CC charge on my Visa.  Pretty sure the dispute will stick.   Posted on their FB yesterday.  

We exchanged a series of emails.  This is the last one I send on 3/13, that did not get a response.   Really don't want to deal or stay with them any longer.

Liezel, no one knows how long this will last. At this time, we can't make any plans for a trip until this issue is resolved. All other parties we have dealt with have given us a refund. And we will be doing business with them again. Please reconsider your decision and let us know. Thanks!

I just disputed the CC charge on my Visa.  Pretty sure the dispute will stick.   Posted on their FB yesterday.  

We exchanged a series of emails.  This is the last one I send on 3/13, that did not get a response.   Really don't want to deal or stay with them any longer.

Liezel, no one knows how long this will last. At this time, we can't make any plans for a trip until this issue is resolved. All other parties we have dealt with have given us a refund. And we will be doing business with them again. Please reconsider your decision and let us know. Thanks!
Yeah, i am always hesitant on the pay in advance option - non refundable.  But this should fall outside the boundary for businesses wanting to continue operating.  At the very least, give that credit thru 2021.  At most, give a perpetual or transferrable credit.  Heck, i'd buy it from you if i could so and i am travelling.

We got an Email from Air B N B about 3 weeks ago indicating that we could cancel our Barcelona stay in mid April for a full refund.

We did so and already got the refund on our credit card.
Yep, most things are being refunded through May 31.

Yep, most things are being refunded through May 31.
We ran three ABB homes in the Boise are for 18 months.  And quit doing them Jan 1 this year.  Maybe one of our best decisions ever.  Have a friend that has 7 of them. Just about everyone cancelled starting 24 days ago.    Main reason we got out is we found out that normal landlord insurance does NOT cover renting it out as an ABB. Someone slips and falls?  NOT COVERED on standard landlord policy.      To get fully covered rate went from $600 to $2400 per year.

We have not cancelled anything for September yet.  I used points for the plane tickets so I need to wait and see if I can get them back without a fee.  All of our hotels and airbnb's are refundable.  Might lose out on a tour or two, but hoping for a credit for next year.  I still hope we can go, but I know it won't happen.
AA canceled our flights to and from Italy, but not our connecting flights in the U.S.  I guess I have to do that myself.  There are British Airways and Iberia flights for those days, but I am going to wait and see before I would consider booking those.   

AA is starting flights back up Oct 25.  Has anyone been in early November?  This could be an option if they open things back up. 

so, i had a cruise planned for september 2020, 9 nights greek leaving from Rome on RCCL.  i saw they were running some kind of price protection if you move the cruise 1 year forward and within 30 days of the prior year.  i called and after 2.5 hours, got them to move me to next october, they needed a supervisor cause the boat changed and the itinerary now has an overnight in athens.  i told them they only offer 3 greek cruises and i can’t do anything if they make tweaks....they agreed.  interesting part is that i owed them $3300-.  the new cruise is $1400- more, but i owe them only $2200- now.  no questions on my end.  

ive have cancelled 3 trips so far since this has started  . canada june  , germany/portugal sept  and tanzania jan 2021 
have the DR in october , just bought that last week as i got a deal and an india trip in nov whicj i 90% sure will get cancelled 

We were supposed to be on the plane to Italy right now.  Instead after 2 flight cancellations and a flooded basement Monday night we are in St. Lucia at the Sandals Grande.  Trying make the best out of 2020.

Nothing. Cancelled all vacations and am not even going to book anything for the foreseeable future.  Hoping better starting mid 2021 

So is anyone planning trips for next summer or fall?  Flights will be available soon to reschedule our trip to Italy, but I am concerned we will end up having to cancel again.  The good thing is we received all of our refunds so that should not be an issue as long as I keep copies of the cancellation policies when I book.

i am booked on rccl for 10/1, but reading italian news and perugia today, CV is still a struggle and we are just getting into winter.  i think 2021 is a travel wash and maybe 2022 is a reboot.

Was fortunate enough to get full refunds from the planned June 2020 trip.  It pained me and still does to this day.  Every time I have a spritz or see something about Italy, I get a little dust in my eyes.  Was hoping to reschedule for June 2021, but feeling like that might be a long shot at this time.  

I miss Italy.

I'm with all of you, not even planning a trip in 2021. Had to cancel our London, Paris, Basque, Portugal trip this past summer. That SUCKED.

It was just uncanny timing that we did 2 big trips last year, Positano and Switzerland, knowing that we were buying property in Boise for a move this year. We expected not to do any big trips for a couple of years but not this way. We really are missing Europe and Italy specifically. I don't know how long it will be before there is a semblance of normalcy going overseas. I'm just glad we travelled as much as we did over the years.

if things only begin to improve by spring 2021, that would be a good step, but we aren’t there yet.  i need likely 6 months to be comfortable personally after things are clear, so i am pretty much ruling out 2021 by that thought.  at least my r.e. agent has been checking on my place.  been 16 months since i’ve been.

if things only begin to improve by spring 2021, that would be a good step, but we aren’t there yet.  i need likely 6 months to be comfortable personally after things are clear, so i am pretty much ruling out 2021 by that thought.  at least my r.e. agent has been checking on my place.  been 16 months since i’ve been.
So, having been so close to moving to Italy, where would you have rather been during this whole thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, having been so close to moving to Italy, where you have have rather been during this whole thing?
i am so thankful things didn’t work out.  we were thisclose.  if we found a suitable property we would’ve had everything in motion, but ultimately, our boat over was cancelled and we had no way to get there. plus, the wife got sick, compounding issues.  CV sadly was a blessing in disguise for us.  we decided to stay here and let our dog live out his life.  when he goes, so do we....no ifs ands.  we’ll just need a different visa.

just an fyi that last sunday CNN started airing the first of 6 episodes hosted by stanley tucci, basically hitting food stops in different italian regions.  this week is rome.  i think he hangs out with a tour guide i used back in 2019, katie parla.  sunday’s at 9p.

just an fyi that last sunday CNN started airing the first of 6 episodes hosted by stanley tucci, basically hitting food stops in different italian regions.  this week is rome.  i think he hangs out with a tour guide i used back in 2019, katie parla.  sunday’s at 9p.
My GB told me about this show and said it was really good.  I plan on checking it out.

also, i didn’t realize emily blunt and john  krazinski are tucci’s in-laws, as he is married to blunt’s sister.  last week was naples and he did the amalfi.  

Wife and I really enjoying the show.

Can’t wait to get back to Italy

Loved the show. Tucci is great, has a Bourdain feel, really easy to like and he is funny. Wife looked over at me and said we need to go back, I said don't tease me.

Finally got to watch the Naples episode , man do i miss Italy . 
I wish i would known of the hole in the wall restaurant (the 1st one mentioned) as i would of for sure tried it out as i mostly walked the city exploring . 
The others looked great as well but would've been tough for me to get to 

The Tucci show is really good.  There is also "Bobby and Giada in Italy" on Discovery +.  It is fun to watch.  Wish it had more than 4 episodes.

I see that the Tucci show will be in Bologna in an upcoming episode. We've only driven through and never spent time there. Any opinions on it from those who have? If we ever go back, we'll probably look more north/north-east. We loved Venice and Verona.

Users who are viewing this thread