What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (2 Viewers)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
OK, got 2 very highly rated rooms via AirBnB in Florence and Sorrento. One more to get - Rome!

I need help here. Big city. What area should I be looking at to book a room? Thinking of maybe getting a hotel instead of AirBnB room here for amenities that it might have for size of city, and we are leaving from there. Thoughts on that?

Soon to be figuring out transport. Still trying to weigh between getting a car vs train. No car seems cool, but driving around the country seems like it would just be fantastic, though parking looks to be a nightmare.
I'd strongly recommend a train vs a car -- public transportation is good, fast and cheap. No need to waste time with a car unless you are going to be going deep into Tuscany, where public transportation is spottier. Riding a train gives you time to get organized for when you arrive at the next city too, which is an added bonus.

We stayed at Hotel Adler in Rome -- it was a bit on the cheaper side, but very well located close to one of the main metros and kind of centrally located to everything that we wanted to see.
Nice - link for later

OK, got 2 very highly rated rooms via AirBnB in Florence and Sorrento. One more to get - Rome!

I need help here. Big city. What area should I be looking at to book a room? Thinking of maybe getting a hotel instead of AirBnB room here for amenities that it might have for size of city, and we are leaving from there. Thoughts on that?

Soon to be figuring out transport. Still trying to weigh between getting a car vs train. No car seems cool, but driving around the country seems like it would just be fantastic, though parking looks to be a nightmare.
I'm staying in what I guess is the "Ponte" section of Rome (according to AirBnB) right near Piazza Navona. It's a little pricier than other areas but it's where my wife stayed when she studied abroad and she wants to be back there. Didn't see the need to stay in a hotel in Rome as there's so much information about the city that you could have at your fingertips, which is one thing I would normally look for from hotel staff in an otherwise unknown place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanting to book lodging this week. I am thinking of going the 3 Florence, 3 Amalfi, 3 Rome route. A few more questions for the seasoned vets:

1. What are train travel times like from Amalfi to Rome? Florence to Rome? Florence to Amalfi?

2. As for transportation, can I reliably get everywhere I need without a car? Via train, bus, etc.
We took the train from Rome to Naples, and then had a driver take us from Naples to Pasitano. Do not plan to stay in Naples at all. That place really looked like a dump.The train ride was a little over 2 hours (if I remember correctly), and the drive was a little over an hour. Overall, not bad at all.
Who did you use for the ride from Naples to Positano? Satisfied with the service? Thanks.
We used Avanti Travel (I'll post the website when I get home). Actually, I had a travel agent help with some of the aspects of the trip, and they booked the drivers for us through Avanti.

No complaints at all. And actually, when we got to Sicily our driver didn't show up. We called the number on the voucher and got an English-speaking rep who helped us right away and took care of things.

The drivers were all very friendly and told us about the areas as we were driving. The one from Naples to Positano actually suggested photo spots along the way and stopped the car for us to take pictures.

I would NOT suggest driving yourself. That road was harrowing at times.

I have about 300,000 rewards points sitting in my BoA business card, thinking I might just splurge for the last few days and get a very nice hotel in Rome.

I have about 300,000 rewards points sitting in my BoA business card, thinking I might just splurge for the last few days and get a very nice hotel in Rome.
Rome View room at the Waldorf is near priceless. Don't plan on eating there, it's ridiculously expensive (and what's the point of eating at a hotel in Italy...although the one restaurant there is one of the best in the world apparently).

OK, I have my lodging, now I need to figure out a rough itinerary, so any help and suggestions are welcome. Places to go, places to eat, etc.

Here is where I am staying:

Florence - 3 nights

Sorrento - 3 nights

Rome - 3 nights

So to divide it up by area.

Florence:

To see/do - Duomo, Academia, Uffizi,

To eat - supposed to be the best gelato place in Italy, need to look that one up.

Amalfi Region:

To see/do -

To eat -

Rome:

To do/see -

To eat ; La Carbonara

I need to go back in the thread to dig up places suggested.

I know in Tuscany I would love to spend a day and get scooters or a car and just explore. I assume it would be doable for a day with a car, but what about scooters? I have never ridden one, just bikes.

For Florence, looks like I will probably get the Firenze card, which gets you into everything, gives you bus rides, and avoids the lines by getting priority. Anyone else go that route? How many of those would you hit in a day?

For amalfi I would get a car and just drive south and let the road take you where it will. So envious!! Have a great trip

For amalfi I would get a car and just drive south and let the road take you where it will. So envious!! Have a great trip
That seems like an awesome option, but everything everyone says is do not drive the coast. Plus I believe so many of these cities have car-free zones? Now, I live in the mountains and am used to driving up and down canyons, but this seems like a whole new crazy.

I did purchase the Firenze Card for the wife and I, so we have a crap ton to do in Florence at the moment.

That seems like an awesome option, but everything everyone says is do not drive the coast. Plus I believe so many of these cities have car-free zones? Now, I live in the mountains and am used to driving up and down canyons, but this seems like a whole new crazy.I did purchase the Firenze Card for the wife and I, so we have a crap ton to do in Florence at the moment.
We did total the car we were driving..... :oldunsure: actually true. It was not our fault and it was on the return to Naples in one of the long tunnels. Some yabo caused a 7 car pile up that we were in the middle of, but we were in an ancient mini, so totaled May have been pretty easy to accomplish. We both walked away unscathed.

Florence gelato = Grom, and it is near the Duomo.

Also in that area is a restaurant called Coquinarius that I think I mentioned a page or two back. Had a real nice atmosphere and the owner/waitresses were very nice. I had a great pear ravioli there...something I probably never choose except at a place in Florence lol. I believe this place is rated well on TripAdvisor and it was listed in the stay.com iphone app that I also recommend.

Depending on where you go in Tuscany it can get quite hilly. I suppose that should factor in on the car/scooter choice. We decided to just tour a couple wineries with a small group to get our feel for Tuscany. Ended up buying wine from somewhere in NJ that imported from the one winery..so I think we saved some cash that way. If you do any wineries, Chianti Classico region is the best. Buying wine (Chianti) at a restaurant, or anywhere, make sure it has the black rooster around the neck of the bottle. No shortcuts with those...they are serious about their vino over there.

Signed up for the shared Rick Steve's tour of Amalfi - 9 hour round trip to 3 cities from Sorrento. Looks good.

Has anyone used Telestial.com or a similar service for phone/text during overseas trips? Seems like it might be a decent investment to stay in touch with family here via text as well as make calls in country as needed.

Has anyone used Telestial.com or a similar service for phone/text during overseas trips? Seems like it might be a decent investment to stay in touch with family here via text as well as make calls in country as needed.
We used Viber. Free app and free service, but I think they are starting to look into charging according to google.

My recommendation for Florence is to split the Uffizi and Accademia and do them on two separate days, otherwise the burnout of going through dozens of rooms filled with paintings will start to hit, and you'll lose a bit of appreciation.

We decided against the Firenze Card because we were there for a week and the 72 hour thing didn't work for us. Instead went with the Friends of the Uffizi program. Annual pass - still cheaper for our family of 5..

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/florence/uffizi_membership.htm

And if you don't go get butter chicken at Sostanza I'll never read your sunglass posts again. Also - Walkabout Tours - Tuscany. Do it. And bring money to buy lots of ties. Ridiculous prices for great quality. Gusta pizza when you head over to Pitti Palace. Florentine Steak at 'Tito. Man - I'm jealous. Want to go back.

We used Viber. Free app and free service, but I think they are starting to look into charging according to google.
I have used Viber, but man it drains your battery like a mother.

OK, I have my lodging, now I need to figure out a rough itinerary, so any help and suggestions are welcome. Places to go, places to eat, etc.

Here is where I am staying:

Florence - 3 nights

Sorrento - 3 nights

Rome - 3 nights

So to divide it up by area.

Florence:

To see/do - Duomo, Academia, Uffizi,

To eat - supposed to be the best gelato place in Italy, need to look that one up.

Amalfi Region:

To see/do -

To eat -

Rome:

To do/see -

To eat ; La Carbonara

I need to go back in the thread to dig up places suggested.

I know in Tuscany I would love to spend a day and get scooters or a car and just explore. I assume it would be doable for a day with a car, but what about scooters? I have never ridden one, just bikes.
Great choices for both Florence and Rome. Especially in Florence. There is great gelato everywhere. We had it every night. Love the one place on De Neiri (where our apartment was).

We decided against the Firenze Card because we were there for a week and the 72 hour thing didn't work for us. Instead went with the Friends of the Uffizi program. Annual pass - still cheaper for our family of 5..

And if you don't go get butter chicken at Sostanza I'll never read your sunglass posts again. Also - Walkabout Tours - Tuscany. Do it. And bring money to buy lots of ties. Ridiculous prices for great quality. Gusta pizza when you head over to Pitti Palace. Florentine Steak at 'Tito. Man - I'm jealous. Want to go back.
Oh I am planning on the butter chicken. Do I need to Instagram that joint, as my daughter would say> ;)

Is Walkabout Tours a company, site?

Pitti Palace for pizza, 'Tito is another restaurant? Also Grom is for gelato, right?

Tito?

Grom

Don't get hung up on specific restaurants. There are so many good ones you can hardly go wrong. The best part about Italy is whenever you get hungry, there will be a great place right nearby.

From your hotel in Rome, I'd recommend heading north and walking up Via Veneto. High end hotels and great places to stop for a drink. Head into the park and come down the Spanish Steps. Make a right and head to Piazza del Popolo or just walk around those streets. Cool part of the city. A good route to the Vatican and you can head back the more touristy route to see Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Trevi. Those are especially nice at night.

So what about pickpocketing? The books talk about it like crazy, but I just talked with one of my wife's friends who has been living in Europe for about a year now and on their family trip to Italy, witnessed a crap ton of people getting picked, as well as a fair amount of police borderline brutality against those caught stealing. I am scared I am going to leave Italy nekkid and penniless. :scared:

So what about pickpocketing? The books talk about it like crazy, but I just talked with one of my wife's friends who has been living in Europe for about a year now and on their family trip to Italy, witnessed a crap ton of people getting picked, as well as a fair amount of police borderline brutality against those caught stealing. I am scared I am going to leave Italy nekkid and penniless. :scared:
I've been to Italy 4 times and never had an issue. Take precautions though. I keep my wallet in my front pocket and my wife carries her bag strapped across her shoulder to the other side.

just get a money belt. and don't be an idiot ;)

i did get gassed and robbed on the overnight train from monaco to rome. :mellow:

i did get gassed and robbed on the overnight train from monaco to rome. :mellow:
Damn, man. I think I would avoid you as a travel companion. :unsure:
I have a cut proof neck wallet that I wear. Mostly when I go to SEA.

agree with Jamny on walking down Via Veneto. I believe Harry's Bar is on that street as well?
I think it's right at the top of the hill.

Damn, man. I think I would avoid you as a travel companion. :unsure:
I have a cut proof neck wallet that I wear. Mostly when I go to SEA.

agree with Jamny on walking down Via Veneto. I believe Harry's Bar is on that street as well?

ETA: Oh and if you do make it to La Carbonara, be sure you go to the correct one. The one on Via Panisperna(sp?) is the right one. It's just a few blocks from the Colosseum.
Already know where it is - it is very close to my hotel.

I did not read 7 pages but I will give you a couple of highlights of my honeymoon in Italy:

Go to Positano. Personally I cannot stress this enough. It is one of the most romantic places ever. Nice place just to spend a couple of days eating grapes, olives, and cheese while drinking wine and lemoncello. We stayed at the Hotel Eden Roc: http://www.edenroc.it/en/ very nice quiet and very well located.

Had one of the best meals of my life at http://www.latagliata.com/ - very cool homestyle/familystyle place.

Isle of Capri if you go to Naples is not to be missed for a day or 1/2 day trip. One of the most beautiful places on earth. In fact skip the City of Naples and just go to Capri.

Enjoyed Rome and some of the other places but they were big busy cities as would be expected. Easy to walk and tube around though. Have some fun and go to some of the neighborhood markets and swaps. Good meals and drinking spots everywhere depending on where you are in the city.

Take the Eurostar when you can - we drank all the way down the coast.

Oh I am planning on the butter chicken. Do I need to Instagram that joint, as my daughter would say> ;) Is Walkabout Tours a company, site?

Pitti Palace for pizza, 'Tito is another restaurant? Also Grom is for gelato, right?

Tito?

Grom
Up to you if you want to take a full day (out of 3) to do the tour. It's awesome though..

https://www.walkaboutflorence.com/tours/best-tuscany-tour

Sostanza

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d743678-Reviews-Trattoria_Sostanza_Il_Troia-Florence_Tuscany.html

Yes on 'Tito..

Gusta Pizza

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d1155597-Reviews-Gusta_Pizza-Florence_Tuscany.html

Gelato:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d2075392-Reviews-Gelateria_dei_Neri-Florence_Tuscany.html

My work is done here. Have fun!

In Sorrento we went to this restaurant and it was probably the best meal we had. But like others have said, you can't go wrong, but I would highly recommend it. :thumbup:

If there's a NFL game on that you want to see while in Rome, head to La Botticella. The owner is a huge Steeler fan and shows games on a big screen. It's right near Piazza Navona. We didn't eat there, just had some drinks while watching the second half of a game. Great crowds and the owner is really friendly. Great option just to get away from Italy for a moment too and hang out with some Americans. Very weird walking out of there and being back in Italy again...lol

ffjunk said:
In Sorrento we went to this restaurant and it was probably the best meal we had. But like others have said, you can't go wrong, but I would highly recommend it. :thumbup:
Looks awesome, we will get there.

Any thoughts on using the guvmint owned train vs Italo? Looking at reserving our seats now.

Currently looking at it like this:

Thurs - fly all freaking day

Friday - arrive late morning, get to room. Do the Duomo, dome climb, explore

Saturday - need to find a Tuscan tour, or rent a car to drive around

Sunday - attend a church in AM, then Academia and Uffizi in afternoon, evening to explore

Monday - head to Sorrento early, explore Sorrento

Tuesday - Pompeii

Wednesday - Private tour of Amalfi coast via Rick Steve's arranged thing

Thursday - head to Rome early

Friday - TBD

Saturday - TBD

Sunday - fly home in AM

Thoughts? Of course there will be a crapload of eating in between. I had looked at Walkabout Florence for the Tuscan tour, looks nice

Currently looking at it like this:

Thurs - fly all freaking day

Friday - arrive late morning, get to room. Do the Duomo, dome climb, explore

Saturday - need to find a Tuscan tour, or rent a car to drive around

Sunday - attend a church in AM, then Academia and Uffizi in afternoon, evening to explore

Monday - head to Sorrento early, explore Sorrento

Tuesday - Pompeii

Wednesday - Private tour of Amalfi coast via Rick Steve's arranged thing

Thursday - head to Rome early

Friday - TBD

Saturday - TBD

Sunday - fly home in AM

Thoughts? Of course there will be a crapload of eating in between. I had looked at Walkabout Florence for the Tuscan tour, looks nice
my recommendation is you sure up your times, then begin booking things in advance to beat lines. I would not do the duomo my arrival day. most hotels do not let you check in till maybe 2p. i do not like dropping my bags and wandering. plus, you won't have your energy or bearings. that first afternoon should be for the uffizi IMO. get settled, slow walk and make a 3p reservation. you need to make sure things are open, especially Sundays. Saturday might best be used for academia in the morning and the duomo and baptistry in the afternoon. Sunday is a great tour day and I recommended you try www.mytuscanbuddy.com. Sergio brings the awesome. I am not sure why you are hitting Amalfi, then heading up to Pompeii, then back to Amalfi.....the Thursday where you say head to rome early would to me be the spot to hit Pompeii, keep going the same direction. this way, once in Amalfi, you don't have to go up and down.

when in rome I can suggest a zillion things.......but I recommend hitting the trastevere neighborhood. it's not very touristy, but has a great church in Santa Maria Minerva I think and the Jewish ghetto has some great ruins and history. the fried artichokes are nice.

also, the Vatican has a hidden necropolis tour. it's one of those off the beaten path things. I think it was free.....you submit a request to the Vatican and request a time, people and language. you then go beneath the Vatican to see ancient ruins, tombs, etc.

I think I still have the email address.

I'd rather do the Duomo on the first day than Uffizi. I love museums but after a trip like that, I'd be too tired to really appreciate it. Drop bags and wander is best for day one, imo. Don't make any real plans because you might want to head back to the hotel for a nap. I like doing that for a couple of hours so you can reset your internal clock and stay up later into the night. Better than crashing by 8pm.

I am writing in reference to your request for a reservation for 5 people to visit the excavations under St. Peter’s Basilica.

Every visit to the Excavations is led by a specialized Guide.

The visit lasts about an hour and a half. Groups are composed of about 12 persons. Only those who are 15 years old or older will be admitted to the Excavations - no exceptions will be made.

We kindly inform all visitors to the necropolis that environmental conditions will be different underground, with possible increase of temperature and humidity. Those who suffer specific and serious physical problems that could be effected by these conditions, including claustrophobia, should not visit.

Reference.: 134303 Visitors No. 5

>1tour. Monday, 4 October 2010 time 9:15am visitors 5 Language: English

Beginning on January 1, 2010, cost of the ticket, included presence of the our Guided: Euro 12,00 .

Total for N. 5 tickets : Euro 60,00

IT IS IMPORTANT TO CONFIRM THE RESERVATION following the procedure.

You must pay for the proposed appointment within 30 days beginning from 28 December 2009. If not, the reservation will be cancelled. We would like to remind you that the ticket deposit is not refundable for any reason.

The tickets may be purchased in one of the following ways:

- a) by CREDIT CARD sending ONLY CARD Number and Expiration date of your Visa, Mastercard, AmericanExpress by fax (+390669873017) or by telephone (+390669885318) or by e-mail to scavi@fsp.va (please, insert in the subject: CONFIRM:%134303-October.4-time9:15am-people5.

- b) in time, as indicated above, by delegate or personally coming at the Excavations Office.

After a few days, the Office will send you confirmation of your visit together with a Receipt for your credit card payment. The Receipt allows the access into the Vatican.

TICKETS

After the confirmation according to the above ways, 10 minutes before the visit, the visitor will find the individual ticket in the Excavations Office.

The Excavation Office reserves the right to modify the schedules of the visits in case the Basilica is closed or for other reasons. If the visit cannot be rescheduled, the Office will cancel the scheduled visit and refund any payments made.

Please use the Reference Number 134303 in any future correspondence concerning this reservation.

NOTICES

Since the visitors will see the tomb of St. Peter during the course of the tour, they must be dressed in a manner appropriate to a sacred place. Shoulders of both men and women must be covered. Women must skirts or dresses beneath their knees or else trousers. Men must wear trousers

It is necessary to be in the office, 10 minutes before the time of the visit

The Excavations Office is reached through the Holy Office Gate (through Colonnade to the left): ask the Swiss Guard for the Excavations Office.

The visitors are reminded that they are not allowed to bring bulky objects into the excavations (suitcases, backpacks, photo...). Large bags and backpacks must be deposited there prior to coming to the Excavations Office. St. Peter’s Basilica offers a free bag check service located in the lower right façade of Basilica. A visitor who would arrive late or with a large bag would not be allowed to join the visit.

Di Michele Alessandro

Fabbrica di San Pietro

00120 Città del Vaticano (Europa)

E-mail scavi@fsp.va; uff.scavi@fabricsp.va

Tel 0039 06 698 85318

Fax 0039 06 698 73017

Informazioni in italiano

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20090216_it.html

Notice in English: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20090216_it.html

Orario Ufficio: Da Lunedì a Sabato: dalle ore 9.00 alle 17.00. Chiuso DOMENICHE e FESTIVI vaticani

Excavations Office Hours: From Monday to Saturday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. Closed all Sunday and Vatican Holidays

ALTRI GIORNI DI CHIUSURA nel 2009: dal 24 al 27 dicembre, 31 dicembre 2009

On the following dates the Excavations will be closed during 2009: 24- 27 december, 31 december 2009

GIORNI DI CHIUSURA nel 2010: 1 e 6 gennaio, 11 febbraio, 19 marzo, 1-6 aprile (Pasqua), 1 e 13 maggio, 3 e 29 giugno, 14-16 agosto, 1-2 novembre, 8 e 24-27 (Natale) e 31 dicembre 2010

On the following dates the Excavations will be closed during 2010: January 1 and 6, February 11, March 19, April 1-6 (Easter), May 1 and 13, June 3 and 29, August 14-16, November 1-2, December 8 and 24-27 (Christmas) and 31 december 2010

Visita virtuale della necropoli vaticana e della tomba di San Pietro: http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_italian.html

the virtual tours of the necropolis and the tomb of St. Peter

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_english.html

I'd rather do the Duomo on the first day than Uffizi. I love museums but after a trip like that, I'd be too tired to really appreciate it. Drop bags and wander is best for day one, imo. Don't make any real plans because you might want to head back to the hotel for a nap. I like doing that for a couple of hours so you can reset your internal clock and stay up later into the night. Better than crashing by 8pm.
if you want to climb the dome it's rough after a long flight and you may be physically drained. the uffizi is a simple stroll, you can take the short tour......imo

if you want to climb the dome it's rough after a long flight and you may be physically drained. the uffizi is a simple stroll, you can take the short tour......imo
Depends what you're in to. I wouldn't do either, fwiw. Have some lunch, drink some wine, walk around and soak it in, crash for a couple of hours and get up to have dinner and wine and stroll the streets at night. No plans.

Depends what you're in to. I wouldn't do either, fwiw. Have some lunch, drink some wine, walk around and soak it in, crash for a couple of hours and get up to have dinner and wine and stroll the streets at night. No plans.
yeah, I don't disagree.....the first day is rough. you want to use it and not crash, but you need to factor in jet lag, customs, check in....realistically, it may take you 3 hours to land and get settled. this is why the uffizi usually works for me. it's a great location on the Arno, you can book in advance and you make your own schedule. you almost have to do something that first day. this is his first trip, if not, I would then say settle in and hit a cafe, grab a map and people watch. for me, their is nothing like crossing the Arno, grabbing a porchetta and hanging along the river on the altrarno.

yeah, I don't disagree.....the first day is rough. you want to use it and not crash, but you need to factor in jet lag, customs, check in....realistically, it may take you 3 hours to land and get settled. this is why the uffizi usually works for me. it's a great location on the Arno, you can book in advance and you make your own schedule. you almost have to do something that first day. this is his first trip, if not, I would then say settle in and hit a cafe, grab a map and people watch. for me, their is nothing like crossing the Arno, grabbing a porchetta and hanging along the river on the altrarno.
Something like Santa Croce would be a much more relaxed and casual place to visit at your own pace than the Uffizi on day 1 IMO.

Something like Santa Croce would be a much more relaxed and casual place to visit at your own pace than the Uffizi on day 1 IMO.
Yeah, there's plenty of smaller churches and little museums to check out on Day1. I'm a huge art fan and Uffizi would be a highlight of the entire trip. Even more than the Duomo. I'd want to be plenty rested and prepared to really appreciate it.

Yeah, I was going to suggest Santa Croce for the first day too (I recommended that a place to see a few pages back). He could also wander and take in some of the piazzas. Piazza della Signoria is near the Uffizi (and can be seen whenever he goes to Uffizi), but a good way to feel like you are in Florence on day one.

I wouldn't recommend doing the Uffizi while tired. My wife was pretty tired when we went to the Uffizi, which resulted in me having to be a bit rushed going through it.

Users who are viewing this thread