What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
I've never had any desire to do an organized tour.
We would love to get out into Tuscany that Saturday. What would you suggest to do that?
Get in a car and drive. We drove from Rome to Assisi, through Perugia, had lunch in Siena and drove back down through Montepulciano to Rome, with a couple of other stops along the way. Long day, it was dark when we got back to Rome but it was an amazing drive. Beautiful country.

If you can somehow manage to see Basilica of San Francesco in Assisi, I highly recommend it. As an art fan, the only thing that compares is the Sistine Chapel. The walls are completely decorated with some of the oldest Pre-Renaissance frescoes by Giotto and Cimabue. Unfortunately my wife couldn't get in because her skirt was too short. :D

tip: some places will do that for short skirts or exposed shoulders. An old nun scolded my wife near the Vatican. I still tease her for it, pointing like the old lady did and saying in her haunting voice..."toooo shooort" :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
RUSF18 said:
Sand said:
We're using airbnb for Rome and Barcelona which is saving us money and splurging a bit and staying here in Positano. Anyone been?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194863-d621110-Reviews-Hotel_Buca_di_Bacco-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

http://www.bucadibacco.it/
Positano, yes. The hotel, no. We stayed at the Villa Rosa (same views as Le Sireneuse at a price about 1000% less). Loved the whole trip out there. Things I remember doing out there and would recommend to others:

Amalfi - great town, loved the church.

Ravello - the Belvedere of Infinity was awesome (took buses to get to Amalfi and Ravello - no problems)

Capri - we went straight up to Anacapri and got away from the crowds. Loved it. Went all the way to the summit. Walked back on the long stairway - that, also, was a great experience.

Best restaurant we went to was La Tagliata. Liked it so much we went twice. They'll send a car for you. It has about a thousand great reviews out there and for good reason. Definitely try the after dinner fennel liqueur. I think I can still taste the stuff burning away in my gut. :lol:
Thanks. Already bookmarked the restaurant. Those views are insane. Would you recommend lunch over dinner to take more advantage of the sites, or does it not matter?
I'd do dinner as that is a bit out of the way, but that's just me. You could easily do a day in Amalfi and Ravello and then have an awesome dinner up there.

DA RAIDERS said:
Chemical X said:
a couple of more items.....check your credit cards to see who does and does not charge international fees for usage. also, let your card companies know you will be travelling abroad in advance.
you can also get a prepaid card set up. no worries about fraud etc.
Capitol One doesn't charge overseas fees. And if you have a rewards card they often balance out. Just try not to let the cashiers ring things up in dollars. The exchange rate that way is a complete ripoff.

RUSF18 said:
Sand said:
We're using airbnb for Rome and Barcelona which is saving us money and splurging a bit and staying here in Positano. Anyone been?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194863-d621110-Reviews-Hotel_Buca_di_Bacco-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

Positano, yes. The hotel, no. We stayed at the Villa Rosa (same views as Le Sireneuse at a price about 1000% less). Loved the whole trip out there. Things I remember doing out there and would recommend to others:

Ravello - the Belvedere of Infinity was awesome (took buses to get to Amalfi and Ravello - no problems)

Capri - we went straight up to Anacapri and got away from the crowds. Loved it. Went all the way to the summit. Walked back on the long stairway - that, also, was a great experience.

Best restaurant we went to was La Tagliata. Liked it so much we went twice. They'll send a car for you. It has about a thousand great reviews out there and for good reason. Definitely try the after dinner fennel liqueur. I think I can still taste the stuff burning away in my gut. :lol:
Thanks. Already bookmarked the restaurant. Those views are insane. Would you recommend lunch over dinner to take more advantage of the sites, or does it not matter?
I'd do dinner as that is a bit out of the way, but that's just me. You could easily do a day in Amalfi and Ravello and then have an awesome dinner up there.
We stayed in Capri during one trip. It was great to leave during the day and come back to hang out at night. Although taking the ferry ever time wasn't always fun. Did you do the Blue Grotto? Yeah, very touristy but it was cool in there.

We would love to get out into Tuscany that Saturday. What would you suggest to do that?
Get in a car and drive. We drove from Rome to Assisi, through Perugia, had lunch in Siena and drove back down through Montepulciano to Rome, with a couple of other stops along the way. Long day, it was dark when we got back to Rome but it was an amazing drive. Beautiful country.

If you can somehow manage to see Basilica of San Francesco in Assisi, I highly recommend it. As an art fan, the only thing that compares is the Sistine Chapel. The walls are completely decorated with some of the oldest Pre-Renaissance frescoes by Giotto and Cimabue. Unfortunately my wife couldn't get in because her skirt was too short. :D

tip: some places will do that for short skirts or exposed shoulders. An old nun scolded my wife near the Vatican. I still tease her for it, pointing like the old lady did and saying in her haunting voice..."toooo shooort" :lmao:
I will look into that. I have read to pay for a rental here then get it there.

Yeah, we have seen the things about dress. No worries about too short of anything, but it says even shorts are a no-no certain spots, so I went out and got a pair of zip-off pants to shorts from Cabelas. :bag:

For car rental, would you go a national company like Hertz or Avis, or an Italian company? Debating between a regular car and a $500/day convertible. . .

RUSF18 said:
Sand said:

We stayed in Capri during one trip. It was great to leave during the day and come back to hang out at night. Although taking the ferry ever time wasn't always fun. Did you do the Blue Grotto? Yeah, very touristy but it was cool in there.
Never stayed overnight, though it would be appealing to be there when all the daytrippers leave. Going straight up to Anacapri after arriving really got us away from all the tourists, though, so it was great. Did not hit the Blue Grotto. Did go to this church that had an amazing painted floor (they put a raised path across it so you don't damage it).

you know, renting a car for experienced italian travellers is ok, but i am not sure of Cow's travel experience level. honestly, for 1 day i would try to avoid renting a vehicle and let someone else do the driving. man, sergio must be rocking if he is booked. assisi is great, but i dont think i would spend my day there on a first excursion.

how about a van supported bike/wine tour thru chianti?

these guys are super, i have used them:

http://www.ibiketuscany.com/tours/view/wine-ride

elizabeth miller is a great contact and she is on viber. ex pat.

you know, renting a car for experienced italian travellers is ok, but i am not sure of Cow's travel experience level. honestly, for 1 day i would try to avoid renting a vehicle and let someone else do the driving. man, sergio must be rocking if he is booked. assisi is great, but i dont think i would spend my day there on a first excursion.

This one actually looks cool, up my wife's alley more since she does not bike.

ETA Sergio said he and his associate drivers were booked, too.

This one actually looks cool, up my wife's alley more since she does not bike.
we did a fully customized tour with them since we were coming from our house and were not in florence, but their wheelhouse is picking up in florence and providing van support. they basically bring a van to get you, drive you to the starting point and then follow you in a vehicle if you get winded or dont feell well. at the end, you get back in the van and they drive you back to the hotel. you can throw your bags and stuff in the van. we brought an extra t shirt and a soapy wash cloth, when we finished, we changed shirts and wiped down with the cloth. bikes were great and really, is there anything better than biking thru tuscany when its mostly downhill.

:shrug:

That trip was our first time to Italy, first time driving in Europe and my first time driving a manual car (outside of about a half hour learning on a friend's car back home before the trip) And no GPS. It was fun and an adventure. We also only spent about an hour or two in Assisi.

My mistake. That was actually our second trip with an automatic transmission. The one described was our first when we went from Venice to Florence to Rome.

That trip was our first time to Italy, first time driving in Europe and my first time driving a manual car (outside of about a half hour learning on a friend's car back home before the trip) And no GPS. It was fun and an adventure. We also only spent about an hour or two in Assisi.
i am always worried about the crowds and pilgramages going on. if the pope decides to pop in, traffic is horrific.

if you decide the rental route, we always use these guys. you can get a cheap fiat/smart car with automatic.

http://www.autoeuropa.it/newae/index_new.aspx

i am always worried about the crowds and pilgramages going on. if the pope decides to pop in, traffic is horrific.

if you decide the rental route, we always use these guys. you can get a cheap fiat/smart car with automatic.

Excellent, a convertible from downtown Firenze for the day, about $200. I drove manual most of my life, barely got my first automatic a couple of years ago. My biggest fear is driving unwittingly into a no-drive zone and getting a huge fine. I have driven in crazy traffic before.

Nice!

I think I mentioned it earlier but when leaving Florence head down Rt222

The Via Chiantigiana is one of the most enjoyable motoring routes in Italy. It runs directly south from Florence to Sienna through the middle of the Chianti Classico wine zone of Tuscany, Italy
I got two tickets in Milan when I circled around trying to find our hotel and drove on the same bus lane twice. Camera caught me.

DA RAIDERS said:
Chemical X said:
a couple of more items.....check your credit cards to see who does and does not charge international fees for usage. also, let your card companies know you will be travelling abroad in advance.
you can also get a prepaid card set up. no worries about fraud etc.
Capitol One doesn't charge overseas fees. And if you have a rewards card they often balance out. Just try not to let the cashiers ring things up in dollars. The exchange rate that way is a complete ripoff.
I was thinking more for identity theft issues. Any cc will work just fine

Get in a car and drive. We drove from Rome to Assisi, through Perugia, had lunch in Siena and drove back down through Montepulciano to Rome, with a couple of other stops along the way. Long day, it was dark when we got back to Rome but it was an amazing drive. Beautiful country.If you can somehow manage to see Basilica of San Francesco in Assisi, I highly recommend it. As an art fan, the only thing that compares is the Sistine Chapel. The walls are completely decorated with some of the oldest Pre-Renaissance frescoes by Giotto and Cimabue. Unfortunately my wife couldn't get in because her skirt was too short. :D

Love it! In a similar vein, me and some buddies went to the Vatican, one guy had a tank top on, no admittance. He was very upset claimed they knew he was Jewish and singled him out. :crazy: Then a pigeon took a huge #### on his shoulder and back as it flew by. :lmao: to this day we joke that the pigeons in the square are anti semetic

Get in a car and drive. We drove from Rome to Assisi, through Perugia, had lunch in Siena and drove back down through Montepulciano to Rome, with a couple of other stops along the way. Long day, it was dark when we got back to Rome but it was an amazing drive. Beautiful country.If you can somehow manage to see Basilica of San Francesco in Assisi, I highly recommend it. As an art fan, the only thing that compares is the Sistine Chapel. The walls are completely decorated with some of the oldest Pre-Renaissance frescoes by Giotto and Cimabue. Unfortunately my wife couldn't get in because her skirt was too short. :D

Love it! In a similar vein, me and some buddies went to the Vatican, one guy had a tank top on, no admittance. He was very upset claimed they knew he was Jewish and singled him out. :crazy: Then a pigeon took a huge #### on his shoulder and back as it flew by. :lmao: to this day we joke that the pigeons in the square are anti semetic
:lmao:

Never had it answered, but at train stations, are there places to stash your luggage? If we were wanting to go to Pompeii on way back to Rome, for instance, to leave it in Naples.

Also, for money, they say to take a few hundred in $20's, but then just pull $$ out in Euros as you go with ATMs. Have you set up a prepaid debit card just in case for that, or just used bank card, etc.? How have you done the money in the past and how much as a rule of thumb were you planning?

Never had it answered, but at train stations, are there places to stash your luggage? If we were wanting to go to Pompeii on way back to Rome, for instance, to leave it in Naples.

Also, for money, they say to take a few hundred in $20's, but then just pull $$ out in Euros as you go with ATMs. Have you set up a prepaid debit card just in case for that, or just used bank card, etc.? How have you done the money in the past and how much as a rule of thumb were you planning?
We stored our luggage at Naples without a problem early in the day and picked it up later in the day. Pompeii might be too small of a station to store your luggage at, though, if you were trying to store there instead of Naples. Obviously if you go this route, I would make sure your luggage is locked.

For money, I used an ATM and withdrew like $500 Euros at a time with my bank card when I landed an the airport in Rome, then restocked as needed. I didn't have any issues doing it this way.

My only worry about keeping luggage at a train station is that train stations are hotbeds for pickpockets and thieves. I guess if they have lockers or something it's cool, but if it's just an employee keeping it in a room like at a hotel, I'd be nervous.

My only worry about keeping luggage at a train station is that train stations are hotbeds for pickpockets and thieves. I guess if they have lockers or something it's cool, but if it's just an employee keeping it in a room like at a hotel, I'd be nervous.
For us, it was just an employee in a room, which is why the locks on your luggage is so important. There are enough unlocked bags that the thieves will go for the easy scores if/when it comes to that. Even a simple lock is enough of a deterrent.

I would hate to go there hoping for a place and not find it and end up lugging them around. I think if there is not a good shot at doing it I will just do it that morning from Sorrento.

For ATMs, they say use banks, yes?

Did you buy train tickets ahead of time online, or at the station?

Storing luggage is dicey, as mentioned above. Prepaid visa, travelers checks, euros. If you really need more cash, use an ATM.

I called my cell phone company (Sprint) and activated an international plan today as well. $4.99 fee gives you 99 cents per minute calling. Text is same 50/text sent, 5/text received. Data is a no no, of course. I am assuming when I get there I will not need to dial the country code. Having never really dialed international - just used Viber to call wife when abroad - you just dial the exit code, the country code, then number right? So from US to Italy would be 011 39 phone number? I figured I should probably call my hotel and make sure I don't need to get them anymore info since it was all done via rewards.

the train stations have lockers and I think, manned baggage storage, but I don't know if I would use them....I am not very trusting. I do know that Pompeii at the porta marina entrance has free bag storage. once again, not sure if it is manned or lockers. I can't help with money, I actually have an italian bank account with unicredit. I used to bring 100-150€ and tried to avoid charging to skirt the international fee. if you use a card for cash it may be treated as a cash advance on top of other fees by your bank. also! some of the machines are italian only and I got nervous putting the card in and thinking I may do something to lose my card. I would bring cash and charge bigger purchases on a fee free card. also! research the VAT tax refund and if you make a big buy, be sure to get the tax back. VAT is now 22%!

for trains, I buy in advance. trenitalia has an english version. I think first class gives you assigned seats and other classes are first come first serve.

You can use your ATM/debit card and there is some conversion fee as I recall but it's not treated as a "cash advance" (it would be if you used a CC to pull money). I'd recommend a credit card with no international transaction fees like the United Mileage Plus card or something similar.

I bought train tickets at the station without problems.

just make sure you validate your train tickets in those yellow punching machines located throughout the train station. also, at the ATM, make sure it's a cirrus or something that matches your affiliations.

Chemical X said:
the train stations have lockers and I think, manned baggage storage, but I don't know if I would use them....I am not very trusting. I do know that Pompeii at the porta marina entrance has free bag storage. once again, not sure if it is manned or lockers. I can't help with money, I actually have an italian bank account with unicredit. I used to bring 100-150€ and tried to avoid charging to skirt the international fee. if you use a card for cash it may be treated as a cash advance on top of other fees by your bank. also! some of the machines are italian only and I got nervous putting the card in and thinking I may do something to lose my card. I would bring cash and charge bigger purchases on a fee free card. also! research the VAT tax refund and if you make a big buy, be sure to get the tax back. VAT is now 22%!

for trains, I buy in advance. trenitalia has an english version. I think first class gives you assigned seats and other classes are first come first serve.
So what would you do in my situation? Take a chance on the way back to Rome, or take half a day while in Sorrento? I am leaning towards Sorrento.

BTW anyone visit theCastel Sant'Angelo? Looks cool, right outside the Vatican, but only gets 1 star from Rick Steves. I am not going to get any castles this run, so thought it might be cool to visit.

BTW anyone visit the

Castel Sant'Angelo? Looks cool, right outside the Vatican, but only gets 1 star from Rick Steves. I am not going to get any castles this run, so thought it might be cool to visit.

I thought it was pretty neat. And they have a restaurant where you can sit outside and look over at the Vatican while you eat. Wasn't great food or value but it was kind of a neat experience.

Chemical X said:

So what would you do in my situation? Take a chance on the way back to Rome, or take half a day while in Sorrento? I am leaning towards Sorrento.
what would i do in what situation? the baggage store thing? oh, i see what you are axing. what i would do is the same i have mentioned before, hit roadtoitaly.com and contact them. see about a ride leaving amalfi/sorrento for a tour of pompeii (rouhgly 2-3 hours), then see about about them driving you up to rome. you can then leave your bags with the driver and not worry about the trains. or, you can see about the ride to pompeii and tour leave the bags with pompeii thru the marina gate. i am sure you aren't the only people visiting with bags. just make sure you hit the official pompeii gate and bag drop, not a random dude that will likely approach you outside the gates.

oh and i meant 100-150 per day.

i liked sant'angelo, it is just over the tiber as you head towards the vatican. roughly a 5-10 minute walk from the vatican. worth a look IMO. maybe you'll find the killer from angels and demons.

Excellent, a convertible from downtown Firenze for the day, about $200. I drove manual most of my life, barely got my first automatic a couple of years ago. My biggest fear is driving unwittingly into a no-drive zone and getting a huge fine. I have driven in crazy traffic before.
I am trying to register for this site, since it says you have to register to reserve, and it says my date of DL issue is out of range. Problem is, it is out of range no matter what I put in. :hot:

Well that was dumb. You have to enter when you first got your license, not when you were issued it for your most recent. :hot:

Just know that you cannot drive in downtown Florence. That makes cars a pain in the ### there.
We pick up the car at a downtown office, but will head straight out from there. I know there is a downtown auto fee on the rental, which is interesting. Our whole intent is pick up car right as opens, work down to Siena, work back up through Tuscany, maybe along coast, return car just before close.

Just know that you cannot drive in downtown Florence. That makes cars a pain in the ### there.
We pick up the car at a downtown office, but will head straight out from there. I know there is a downtown auto fee on the rental, which is interesting. Our whole intent is pick up car right as opens, work down to Siena, work back up through Tuscany, maybe along coast, return car just before close.
when driving in italy, if you think it will take 1 hour, budget for 2 hours. the roads are generally 2 lanes, windy, etc.

siena is a great town and a day in itself. you should learn the parking rules. i am 99% sure that white lined parking is free, but blue lined parking means you pay. when you pay, most of the lots have the one machine where you put the ticket on the car dashboard. look for signs that say P if the P has a roof on top, it means the parking is covered.

ooops, forgot the old parking disc:

Free Parking: Parking DiscIf the parking sign indicates that the parking is time-limited, you need to use a parking disc to indicate the time you parked. When you rent a car in Italy, they may already have a parking disc. If they do not, you can purchase one at a Tobacco store or gas station. Ask for a disco orario. They are not expensive.

To use the parking disc, set it to indicate the time you parked and place it inside your car in the windshield so it can be seen by the parking police.

parking_disc.jpg
This is the typical parking disc that you buy in Italy. It is made from light cardboard and measures 4" by 6". Spin the wheel so that the arrow points to the current time. In this picture the parking disc is set to 1pm (or 13:00 on the 24 hour clock).

This parking disc is called disco orario. The time that you set is ora di arrivo - time of arrival

Thanks for the info. I had a patient in my office on Friday that lives in Rome, and is here on vacation to be with family. Got a lot of info from him, as well. The big thing he said with the cameras is to watch if they are active or not active, as well. I was hoping for a convertible in Firenze, but they do not get them there, unfortunately, so I just got a smallish car for a decent price from Auto Europa, which partners with Dollar and Thrifty.

How it looks now:

Thurs - butt long day shortened by 8 hours of time zone travel. We have a layover in Amsterdam and the plan is to get 1000 Euros out there so we are not bothered with it when we get to Italy.

Friday arrive in Firenze 11:26. Grab Firenze card at Airport, head into town and drop off bags at room (she is cool with us leaving them there). Hit Duomo, etc., piazzas, get a feel for the city. Bed earlier, 10pm or so

Saturday - hit it early with rental car around Tuscany, Siena, etc. Return car at 6pm and walk around the city, etc.

Sunday - Church, Accademia and Uffizi

Monday - train to Sorrento, check into room there and explore the city.

Tuesday - 1/2 day Pompeii, 1/2 day something else - OPEN to suggestions here

Wednesday - Full day minivan tour down Amalfi Coast with 4 other people via the Rick Steves co-op

Thursday - head to Rome, might get there a little later so can check in Artemide hotel. If get here early might do Vatican/Castel Sant'Angelo that day walking, hit some piazzas, etc

Friday - Collosseum and that area, other exploration

Saturday - Borghese, Pantheon and other

Sunday - leave 9:26am

Anything anyone wants to suggest to fill up some of those days or suggest other things to hit, lay it on me. Getting excited, but still so nervous to leave my kids and office for so long. Hoping that fades soon.

Check your banks rates for getting your euros here. Last time I went, it was cheaper for me to do it here. And it was nice to have right off the plane.

Smaller local bank, so doubt it.

I did go there and request a daily withdrawal increase. It would have been terrible to be limited by the $300/day. That was a very helpful gem.

that tuesday in Pompeii i would look into The fabulous winery mastroberardino. maybe a lunch tour? if not, herculaneum is near Pompeii. grab pizza in naples? make sure all tix are ordered. and i would try For euros now.

that tuesday in Pompeii i would look into The fabulous winery mastroberardino. maybe a lunch tour? if not, herculaneum is near Pompeii. grab pizza in naples? make sure all tix are ordered. and i would try For euros now.
No vino for us, but maybe for the pizza, have a recommendation? Which tix to order? Got the Firenze card, will buy Roma pass there. Still need to get the Vatican and Borgese.

Purchased tickets and reservations made for Vatican and Borghese.

Anything I am missing?

Have copies of passports to take and leave at home, have copies of credit cards to take and leave at home. Got the Internat'l Driver Permit just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread