What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Jordan or Lebron James? (1 Viewer)

Who is a bigger "gamer"?

• Jordan

Votes: 289 84.3%
  • Lebron

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • It's a vague, virtually meaningless word and nobody here has any idea what goes on in these guy&

Votes: 46 13.4%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
This debate isn't going anywhere for decades... Instead of endlessly discussing it in the NBA thread, this is a topic that should stand on it's own two feet.

You are a GM, you get either for their whole career, who do you want?

The way I've always seen it: The Bulls couldn't win a championship without Jordan. LEbron couldn't win one without the Heat. Case closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer to wait until Lebron's career is over for this question. But as of now, the answer obviously is Jordan. If Lebron and the HEat come back and win this series, and especially if he wins 4-5 more championships, than it's a different story.

I'll take Jordan. From the Bird-Magic thread:

Just Win Baby said:
Just Win Baby said:
The following things make me believe Jordan was a greater player than Lebron:

1. More titles

2. More honors (more MVPs, more Finals MVPs, more All NBA selections, more All Defense selections, DPOY)

3. Played tougher competition in his conference and in the playoffs, yet still won and dominated while doing so

4. Better in the clutch (not that Lebron isn't great, just not on Jordan's level IMO)

5. The eye test, having watched all of both of their careers (not every game, but many, including most playoff games)

IMO their supporting casts are close enough to be a wash. IMO Lebron's supporting cast in Miami is better than Jordan's in the first threepeat and similar, perhaps not quite as good, as Jordan's in the second threepeat.

Sure, Lebron will most likely end up with better statistics, mostly due to the fact that he will play many more games. And he will probably catch and surpass Jordan in some of the honors.

But in the total picture, Jordan was greater IMO. And, while Lebron is probably closer to Jordan than any other player in NBA history, there is still a sizable gap there IMO.
I thought of a couple more reasons.

Another part of Jordan's greatness is his non-NBA accomplishments. Given that part of this comparison will inevitably include Lebron playing a lot more NBA games and accumulating more statistics, in part since he entered the league at a younger age, it is fair to include Jordan's pre-NBA accomplishments. Notably:

• Hit the game winning shot to win a NCAA championship
  • 1st team All American his sophomore and junior seasons in college
  • College POY in junior season
  • Best player and leading scorer on 1984 gold medal Olympic team
Jordan was also the best player on the 1992 Dream Team that won the Olympic gold medal. I know Lebron has 2 Olympic gold medals, too, but Jordan's were more impressive IMO:
  • Entering the 1984 Olympics, U.S. college players had not won a World Championship in basketball since 1954. As for the Olympics, the U.S. lost controversially in 1972, won gold in 1976, boycotted in 1980, and would go on to win bronze in 1988... the world's men's teams had surpassed U.S. college players in that era. So the 1984 team's performance was particularly impressive.
  • The original Dream Team trumps the 2008 and 2012 teams of NBA players in terms of legacy/greatness.
  • Lebron played on the 2004 Olympic team that won bronze, and also won one gold and one bronze in FIBA championships. A good record, but not as good as Jordan's 2/2 golds.
Also, I noticed that there has been some discussion of efficiency in this thread. So it's worth noting that Jordan is #1 in career Player Efficiency Rating and Lebron is #2.Jordan is also #1 in Win Shares per 48 minutes, which is the only rate statistic for Win Shares I see at basketball-reference.com. Lebron is #5.

Why ask now.. ask at the end of LeBron's career.

As of right now I think you still pick Jordan.. 5 MVP's, 6 Rings, etc, etc

Just as Jordan couldn't win any titles without Pippen, LeBron had to sadly leave Cleveland and team up with Wade so that he could start winning titles.

Only time will tell if he picks up #3 this year and then we will see how the rest of his career plays out..

Other than the baseball years and the Wizards thing at the end though... Jordan pretty much did everything that the "media" loves... spent all of his "real" career with one team... and went 6-0 in finals.

Even if LeBron were to get to 6 they would site his 2 (maybe more) losses in the finals... his team switch in the prime of his career, etc.

LeBron will never get the same treatment as Jordan...

I think he will end his career with more MVP's, probably less than six titles, but some absolutely insane career stats.

He just isn't quite the killer instinct guy Jordan is... I know I'd rather play for LeBron and I think his size and skill set makes him a candidate to be a guy I"d rather start a franchise with.

The way I've always seen it: The Bulls couldn't win a championship with Jordan. LEbron couldn't win one without the Heat. Case closed.
Michael played with two Hall of Famers.

Less than other sports, but basketball dynasties still require HOF supporting casts.

I grew up a Detroit Pistons fan during Michael's glory days. the man was legendary in his own time. It might just be that I don't pay as much attention now but Lebron doesn't have the same status.

But on the court, it's damn close.

Jordan now.

Perhaps Lebron when his career is over. Losing this NBA Finals in his prime would be a big hit, but he's the only player since Jordan that's even worth a discussion (and probably will be the only one for quite some time)

Jordan now.

Perhaps Lebron when his career is over. Losing this NBA Finals in his prime would be a big hit, but he's the only player since Jordan that's even worth a discussion (and probably will be the only one for quite some time)
If he loses this finals, he'll be 2-3 in finals appearances... While it is still impressive to be in 5 finals to date, Jordan was 6-0.

Jordan now.

If he loses this finals, he'll be 2-3 in finals appearances... While it is still impressive to be in 5 finals to date, Jordan was 6-0.
:lmao:

I knew this thread wouldn't disappoint for laughs.

LeBron is currently 2-2 in the Finals at age 29. At age 29 Jordan was 2-0.

Setting aside the silly notion of equating team success and individual skill ...are you saying that it's better to fail early in the playoffs than in the Finals? If the 2007 Cavs had lost in the ECF to the Pistons instead of making the Finals and the 2011 Heat had lost to the Celtics instead of pulling off that dramatic series win, James would be 2-0 in the Finals, equal to Jordan's record with the Bulls. Would that be better than 2-2 in your eyes? Losing earlier in the playoffs means you're better?

Jordan now.

Setting aside the silly notion of equating team success and individual skill ...are you saying that it's better to fail early in the playoffs than in the Finals? If the 2007 Cavs had lost in the ECF to the Pistons instead of making the Finals and the 2011 Heat had lost to the Celtics instead of pulling off that dramatic series win, James would be 2-0 in the Finals, equal to Jordan's record with the Bulls. Would that be better than 2-2 in your eyes? Losing earlier in the playoffs means you're better?
42-1 in the gamer count, I'd assume you just placed your vote? Oh wait, that isn't a real thing :shrug:

They didn't just lose in 2007, they were swept... They lost to a team of inferior talent in 2011 BTW.

Oh yea, & Lebron has been in the league for 11 seasons... Jordan was 4-0 in Finals appearance by the end of his 11th season.

ETA: It was really only 10.5 seasons too. You can tack on another title at UNC for ####s and giggles if you like. If I recall correctly ;) he hit the game winner there too.

Jordan now.

42-1 in the gamer count, I'd assume you just placed your vote?

They didn't just lose in 2007, they were swept... They lost to a team of inferior talent in 2011 BTW.

Oh yea, & Lebron has been in the league for 11 seasons... Jordan was 4-0 in Finals appearance by the end of his 11th season.
I didn't vote. You asked two weird, unanswerable questions. I'm just pointing out that your reasoning here would make it preferable to lose early in the playoffs rather than late, which is pretty silly.

The notion of comparing players by seasons rather than age is not quite as silly, but it's still rather silly.

The way I've always seen it: The Bulls couldn't win a championship with Jordan. LEbron couldn't win one without the Heat. Case closed.
Michael played with two Hall of Famers.

Less than other sports, but basketball dynasties still require HOF supporting casts.

I grew up a Detroit Pistons fan during Michael's glory days. the man was legendary in his own time. It might just be that I don't pay as much attention now but Lebron doesn't have the same status.

But on the court, it's damn close.
No way Pippen makes HOF without MJ.

MJ elevated the play of his teammates.

one thread just wasn't enough

Jordan paints masterpieces, while Lebron paints barns.

I didn't vote. You asked two weird, unanswerable questions. I'm just pointing out that your reasoning here would make it preferable to lose early in the playoffs rather than late, which is pretty silly.

The notion of comparing players by seasons rather than age is not quite as silly, but it's still rather silly.
Comparing two players and who you would rather have is weird and unanswerable, gotcha...

These two guys aren't in the same stratosphere - It isn't a knock on Lebron, Jordan was just the greatest ever and Lebron has a limited window to get in that conversation... Going on 30 with 11 seasons under his belt, he is still galaxies away, and in 4 or 5 years left at this level, I don't think he will close that gap substantially.

Comparing two players is weird and unanswerable, gotcha...

These two guys aren't in the same stratosphere - It isn't a knock on Lebron, Jordan was just the greatest ever and Lebron has a limited window to get in that conversation... Going on 30 with 11 seasons under his belt, he is still galaxies away, and in 4 or 5 years left at this level, I don't think he will close that gap substantially.
No, comparing two players from different eras is unanswerable.

Thinking you have any notion whatsoever of who is or isn't a "gamer," which is a subjective concept in the first place, is both weird and unanswerable.

MJ - Top three player of all time, without dispute. Quite arguably best ever.

Lebron - somewhere peeking just outside the top 5 with a few other all time greats.

It's not close.

Now, Lebron COULD change this... but I don't see him overcoming MJ. And I HATE MJ.

If you're aiming to make the dumbest statement in this thread, this is the bar you need to limbo under.

I was gonna let that one go because I'm having too much fun with fantasycurse, but it's a winner.
Gamer doesn't exist and comparing players who played a 8 years apart (referring to Jordan's prime) is weird and unanswerable... I guess we are all settled here.

ETA: They actually were in the league at the same time when Jordan was on Washington :) Can't compare the two, weird and unanswerable.

If you're aiming to make the dumbest statement in this thread, this is the bar you need to limbo under.

I was gonna let that one go because I'm having too much fun with fantasycurse, but it's a winner.
Gamer doesn't exist and comparing players who played a decade apart (referring to Jordan's prime) is weird and unanswerable... I guess we are all settled here.

ETA: They actually were in the league at the same time when Jordan was on Washington :) Can't compare the two, weird and unanswerable.
Lebron is better than Washington Jordan. Question answered. /thread

Gamer doesn't exist and comparing players who played a decade apart is weird and unanswerable... I guess we are all settled here.
Two decades apart. Jordan was drafted in 1984 at age 23, LeBron in 2003 at age 19.

Let me give you just one example of the many reasons you can't do it: talent pool. How do you account for the fact that Jordan was competing almost exclusively against Americans, the only nation that had been playing basketball on a large scale for long enough to develop NBA talent at the time, while James competes against a global talent pool? Have you seen the Spurs roster? For the most part Jordan didn't have to beat Euro talent or South American talent or any of that because it didn't exist on a relevant scale.

That's one reason, but there's lots of other reasons why it's impossible to compare the two, or really any two players separated by more than a few years. Rule changes, training and diet improvements, etc. etc. etc.

You can compare their careers if you want, ask who was more impressive relative to their peers. That's a fair question. But that's a totally different question, and wouldn't be fair to the 29 year old vs. the retired guy anyway.

Gamer doesn't exist and comparing players who played a decade apart is weird and unanswerable... I guess we are all settled here.
Two decades apart. Jordan was drafted in 1984 at age 23, LeBron in 2003 at age 19.

Let me give you just one example of the many reasons you can't do it: talent pool. How do you account for the fact that Jordan was competing almost exclusively against Americans, the only nation that had been playing basketball on a large scale for long enough to develop NBA talent at the time, while James competes against a global talent pool? Have you seen the Spurs roster? For the most part Jordan didn't have to beat Euro talent or South American talent or any of that because it didn't exist on a relevant scale.

That's one reason, but there's lots of other reasons why it's impossible to compare the two, or really any two players separated by more than a few years. Rule changes, training and diet improvements, etc. etc. etc.

You can compare their careers if you want, ask who was more impressive relative to their peers. That's a fair question. But that's a totally different question, and wouldn't be fair to the 29 year old vs. the retired guy anyway.
Who cares where the players come from? The best players end up in the NBA. Are you suggesting that the Euro's today are more talented than the Americans from Jordan's era? And the times Jordan did compete against the Euro's he destroyed them. Remember the Dream Team? There's a reason there weren't a lot of non Americans in the NBA in 1988.

Let me give you just one example of the many reasons you can't do it: talent pool.
This is obviously a joke right? I'll bite anyways...

Jordan only had to compete against Showtime, the Bad Boys, & Bird and co... A group of scrubs he was up against :kicksrock:
Do you really not understand the difference between quality of particular opponents and overall talent pool? Seriously?
I would say the quality of opponent is more important when measuring true greatness, but that is just me (and anyone who isn't visually impaired)... I guess if more Euros were in the NBA in the 80's/90's you'd have more respect for Jordan...

The OP seems to have major self confidence issues.

If you somehow think that an overwhelming majority vote for Jordan in either question of your pool validates some of the silly arguments that you made in the other thread, then more power to you.

But the outcome of both questions in this poll are foregone conclusions. I'm surprised/shocked that there are people that actually voted for Lebron over Jordan. And the results of your second question only proves that the public perception is that Jordan played with more competitive fire (you didn't define "gamer" in your poll so I'm presuming that's what you meant) than Lebron does, which again is obvious. You could probably pick any player in the NBA history and put them up against Jordan in the same poll, and Jordan would win it easily. Does that mean Jordan had the most competitive fire of anyone who has ever played? Of course not.

Who cares where the players come from? The best players end up in the NBA. Are you suggesting that the Euro's today are more talented than the Americans from Jordan's era? And the times Jordan did compete against the Euro's he destroyed them. Remember the Dream Team? There's a reason there weren't a lot of non Americans in the NBA in 1988.
It's not where they come from, it's how many there are. The fact that the dream team manhandled the foreign teams actually helps my point. Basketball was a US-only sport then. Even the college teams could beat the foreign teams for the most part. If a college team still played in the foreign national teams now they'd get run off the floor. Jordan was the best of X number of guys who tried to make it big in basketball. LeBron is the best of 3X or 4X number of guys. Not saying that makes him better, saying that makes comparison impossible.

Let me give you just one example of the many reasons you can't do it: talent pool.

Jordan only had to compete against Showtime, the Bad Boys, & Bird and co... A group of scrubs he was up against :kicksrock:
Do you really not understand the difference between quality of particular opponents and overall talent pool? Seriously?
How many teams are there now compared to then? Talent could actually be more diluted.

It's not where they come from, it's how many there are. The fact that the dream team manhandled the foreign teams actually helps my point.
Maybe that had something to do with the fact that they were the greatest sports team ever assembled and it wouldn't matter who lined up across the court from them, maybe. :shrug:

It's not where they come from, it's how many there are. The fact that the dream team manhandled the foreign teams actually helps my point. Basketball was a US-only sport then. Even the college teams could beat the foreign teams for the most part. If a college team still played in the foreign national teams now they'd get run off the floor. Jordan was the best of X number of guys who tried to make it big in basketball. LeBron is the best of 3X or 4X number of guys. Not saying that makes him better, saying that makes comparison impossible.
No it doesn't because there are a finite number of players in the NBA, and the best get there. It doesn't matter how many try out. I honestly can't believe you're trying to make this an argument.

How many teams are there now compared to then? Talent could actually be more diluted.
Yup, that would be a factor too. Yet another reason it's impossible to compare. Although we're supposedly trying to compare players, not teams, so it shouldn't matter. Unfortunately in basketball you can't separate the two ... yet another complication.

LeBron seems like he'd be a better teammate, so I was tempted to vote LeBron in Question 1.

Ultimately I still went with the better player, more likely to produce championships, in both poll questions. So Jordan in both.

No it doesn't because there are a finite number of players in the NBA, and the best get there. It doesn't matter how many try out. I honestly can't believe you're trying to make this an argument.

And I can't believe you don't understand it. It's funny, but also kind of sad.

The best 500 out of a 500,000,000 sample will be better in anything will be better than the best 500 out of 100,000,000. Guaranteed.

And I can't believe you don't understand it. It's funny, but also kind of sad.

The best 500 out of a 500,000,000 sample will be better in anything will be better than the best 500 out of 100,000,000. Guaranteed.
Untrue when you're pulling the top miniscule percent from both sets. The bottom 50% of both of those sets of people are so far below the top 500 as to be irrelevant.

Untrue when you're pulling the top miniscule percent from both sets. The bottom 50% of both of those sets of people are so far below the top 500 as to be irrelevant.
Nope, it's still true. The larger the pool the better the elite members of the pool. Especially when you're drawing a pool of hundreds from a sample of millions, as is the case here.

It's not where they come from, it's how many there are. The fact that the dream team manhandled the foreign teams actually helps my point.
Maybe that had something to do with the fact that they were the greatest sports team ever assembled and it wouldn't matter who lined up across the court from them, maybe. :shrug:
Anything for this comment Tobias? The Dream Team was just rolling due to inferior competition?

Nope, it's still true. The larger the pool the better the elite members of the pool. Especially when you're drawing a pool of hundreds from a sample of millions, as is the case here.
The pool isn't hundreds of millions.

so in theory, in some parallel quantum universe you could put today's Lebron into yesterdays Jordan era. They both get drafted same time, Lebron goes to the Lakers. Assume they surround him with some talent, to the point where the Bulls and Lakers are clearly the best two teams in the league.

over a 8 year period, these two teams meet each other in the finals 6 times. You think they split? You think Bulls win 4 or 5 of them? You think Lebron wins 4 or 5 of them>?

I know what I think. I think Bulls win all 6 of them

The pool isn't hundreds of millions.
It depends how you define the pool, but that doesn't really matter. The concept is what's important. If an 8 year old kid picks up a basketball tomorrow (or in 1984), his chances of making the NBA are a lot less than an 8 year old kid who picks up a basketball in 1963. That translates to more talent in the NBA.

so in theory, in some parallel quantum universe you could put today's Lebron into yesterdays Jordan era. They both get drafted same time, Lebron goes to the Lakers. Assume they surround him with some talent, to the point where the Bulls and Lakers are clearly the best two teams in the league.

over a 8 year period, these two teams meet each other in the finals 6 times. You think they split? You think Bulls win 4 or 5 of them? You think Lebron wins 4 or 5 of them>?

I know what I think. I think Bulls win all 6 of them
Jordan turns Lebron into a pumpkin.

I think if you put 5 MJs up against 5 LBJs Team Lebron wins. Handily.
Except, that's not how you play the game. At all.

Lebron is a more well rounded player.

MJ is the more dominant player offensively AND defensively.

MJ is the better competitor and winner.

In "real" basketball terms, MJ is the better player, the player you'd rather have on your team and the bigger difference maker.

That's not to take anything away from Lebron. When you are talked about with the Magic's and Birds of this world, that's hardly small potatoes. But neither is it MJ, Kareem or Russell.

Users who are viewing this thread