What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Joe Update:

Updating this story to show Lynch showed up at camp: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11097420/marshawn-lynch-expected-seattle-seahawks-minicamp-tuesday

Original Post

Marshawn Lynch could retire

Marshawn Lynch was lacking leverage in his quiet quest for a new contract.

The Seattle Seahawks have freakishly talented "Making the Leap" candidate Christine Michael and Robert Turbin waiting in the wings to shoulder the load should Lynch miss regular-season action.

What might get the organization's attention then?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday on NFL Total Access, via a source close to Lynch, that the running back told two teammates during the 2013 season that he would consider retiring if the Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII.

Asked by Rapoport if Lynch would seriously contemplate retirement now that Seattle has a Lombardi Trophy, the source replied, "He could. I could see him walking away."

Lynch is a different cat. Having saved his money, it's quite possible he could stand his ground out of principle even if he's only requesting a relatively minor raise that would put him second or third in the NFL's running-back pecking order.

Team sources have explained to Rapoport that they have added Michael and Turbin in the draft over the past few years because Lynch's actions are so unpredictable. As much as the team's brass loves and appreciates Lynch, they don't want to be left holding the bag if plans go awry.

It's not unusual for stories of this nature to pop up in June. The Ravens seemingly dealt with it on an annual basis with Ed Reed.

Seahawks fans have no reason to panic unless Lynch is still giving off mixed signals come September.
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Christine Michael thread about to start. Someone with 16,000 posts knows he could of added this to another thread.

Perfect example of people locking on to rhetoric.

Any player can retire, I would feel ashamed of myself if I listened to everything a site wants us to click on.

ADP could retire, Manning could retire, Calvin could retire... all players can retire.

Totally makes sense that he posted this on twitter yesterday (with pic of him lifting).

Wait, wait, wait... but someone told someone who told someone who says he is going to retire.

What more proof do I need to think he is going to retire. That picture dont convince me that he is coming back and the caption saying he is preparing for the season dont convince me.... because Rappaport says the opposite and he knows more about Lynchs plans than Lynch does.

I'm not sure why everyone is ripping on the OP. I saw this same information on another site. I highly doubt Lynch would walk away and it's probably a ploy to get something he wants but it has been reported elsewhere and I don't see the reason to bash the OP here.

I still remember when Robert Smith retired after winning the rushing title at a still pretty young age.

This is the only leverage Marshawn Lynch has left to try to get the Seahawks to give him a new deal. Stop trying to make fetch happen, Marshawn, it ain't gonna happen.

I'm fine with the new thread as it's a separate point in the Lynch topic. And one that is worthwhile to discuss I think.

First off, it came from NFL.com so it's not like this is a TMZ story.

My take on it from the Daily Email Update last night.

Marshawn Lynch marches to his own drum so nothing is impossible. But this one to me smells about like James Harrison threatening to retire a few years ago if he was fined for aggressive hits. "I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison told guest host Judy McDonald. "If not, I may have to give up playing football." Riiiiigghhhht. This feels about the same with Lynch.

To be fair, this is quite a bit different as this isn't Lynch saying this to the press. But it feels like posturing to me. Lynch says he has enough money to retire and clearly has an idea what the wear and tear on his body over the remaining years of his career are worth to him. He knows when he next becomes a free agent he will be hitting 30 and watched the running back market go flat. He wants to get his money while he can and may be willing to walk away if he doesn't get his money.
Part of this too is that it's the middle of June with not a lot of other news happening and writers are paid to write new stories.

Personally think there's little to no chance retirement is a serious option.

J

I am not so sure. RB is a very taxing job. It is nice for him to retire on his own term and leave on a high note.

There isn't much left for him to prove. Retiring when he's still relatively healthy is a smart choice.

Disclaimer: Christine Michael owner.

I'm fine with the new thread as it's a separate point in the Lynch topic. And one that is worthwhile to discuss I think.

Marshawn Lynch marches to his own drum so nothing is impossible. But this one to me smells about like James Harrison threatening to retire a few years ago if he was fined for aggressive hits. "I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison told guest host Judy McDonald. "If not, I may have to give up playing football." Riiiiigghhhht. This feels about the same with Lynch.

To be fair, this is quite a bit different as this isn't Lynch saying this to the press. But it feels like posturing to me. Lynch says he has enough money to retire and clearly has an idea what the wear and tear on his body over the remaining years of his career are worth to him. He knows when he next becomes a free agent he will be hitting 30 and watched the running back market go flat. He wants to get his money while he can and may be willing to walk away if he doesn't get his money.
Part of this too is that it's the middle of June with not a lot of other news happening and writers are paid to write new stories.

J
What I don't get about the bolded is... if he knows he won't get a big paycheck next season and just wants to pad his pockets while he can. Wouldn't walking away from his 8.5 mill this season have kind of the opposite effect? If he wants more money and he doesn't get it, why retire when plenty of money is on the table?

While I personally feel it is unlikely that Lynch retires prior to this season and this story probably amounts to just what it seems...posturing for more money upfront right now.....it is not beyond the realm of possibilities here. As Joe mentioned, this isn't a TMZ story here, but it is still the middle of June. Also, as others have mentioned - Robert Smith is an example of this happening. So is Barry Sanders. Sometimes football players choose to go out on their own terms, without being forced to leave due to injuries or declination of effectiveness at doing their jobs well

One other thing to note is the fact that Lynch is not the type to do or not do something just because that's what everybody else does or doesn't do - he marches to the beat of his own drum. Evidence of this was most recently seen in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, when he had no interest whatsoever in talking to the media - even if it was required of him.

Just to be clear here, I am an owner of Lynch and Michael in one league and I also own Michael in my main league. My comments aren't in any way to be misconstrued as a Michael pimp-a-thon.

Its not crazy to think he retires... Remember Barry retired young, didnt jim brown also retire young?

I mean its not crazy maybe he wants a life after football, not sure if he has kids or not but maybe he will want to be able to play with them when they are older and not be struggling to know his name or be able to walk

More clues from twitter suggesting that retirement isn't imminent. Marshawn's Momma tweeted this last night:

@MommaLynch24: Ppl if I said it once I'll say it 2 times the media is the devil , d=destoryE=evil V=noValues I=idiots L=liars

Then replied to a response thusly:

@MommaLynch24: "@sitnprti: @MommaLynch24 ready for kickoff. Beast Mode! http://t.co/EAULqbTY7c"yes sir game ready

Yes sir, game ready.

Although Marshawn doesn't speak to the media, it appears he feels his position is not being represented accurately at this time.

More clues from twitter suggesting that retirement isn't imminent. Marshawn's Momma tweeted this last night:

@MommaLynch24: Ppl if I said it once I'll say it 2 times the media is the devil , d=destoryE=evil V=noValues I=idiots L=liars

@MommaLynch24: "@sitnprti: @MommaLynch24 ready for kickoff. Beast Mode! http://t.co/EAULqbTY7c"yes sir game ready

Yes sir, game ready.

Although Marshawn doesn't speak to the media, it appears he feels his position is not being represented accurately at this time.
The media lie and make a story out of something that might not be true? Stop, not ever, not never, not no how.

I am shocked some, check that, anyone thinks there is any truth to this.

He is clearly refuting it in his own way and yet people still listening to third party blurbs then the horses mouth. No one finds that funny?

J
What I don't get about the bolded is... if he knows he won't get a big paycheck next season and just wants to pad his pockets while he can. Wouldn't walking away from his 8.5 mill this season have kind of the opposite effect? If he wants more money and he doesn't get it, why retire when plenty of money is on the table?
Agreed, Khy. That's the gamble. If he pushes this line hard, he'd be "betting" a ton of money in hopes that he'd get significantly more. But with the understanding he might not even get the amount he thinks is too low.

Again, I think this is just stuff to talk about. EVEN IF IT WERE LYNCH SAYING THIS TO THE PRESS (Which he's NOT), this would be pure leverage. Or just whining like James Harrison threatening to pick up his ball and go home if he didn't get his way. But this story is just "sources" say kind of stuff which is paper thin in my opinion. "It's June 13 and the World Cup just started and we need an article to talk about" is more what's driving this I think.

J

J
Agreed, Khy. That's the gamble. If he pushes this line hard, he'd be "betting" a ton of money in hopes that he'd get significantly more. But with the understanding he might not even get the amount he thinks is too low.

Again, I think this is just stuff to talk about. EVEN IF IT WERE LYNCH SAYING THIS TO THE PRESS (Which he's NOT), this would be pure leverage. Or just whining like James Harrison threatening to pick up his ball and go home if he didn't get his way. But this story is just "sources" say kind of stuff which is paper thin in my opinion. "It's June 13 and the World Cup just started and we need an article to talk about" is more what's driving this I think.

J
I think this is why we will get a Josh Gordon announcement soon.

The NFL knows the media will be all over that and the World Cup will take a back seat.

Phenix said:
ADP could retire, Manning could retire, Calvin could retire... all players can retire.
I'd like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement from professional football.

This same story about Lynch retiring was reported several months ago. Then I believe he said something after the Super Bowl to take it back. They are dredging up the retiring part, but not dredging up the taking it back part.

Tough time to be a running back. I love Lynch, but he's done getting paid. Retire or play for much less are probably his only options.

If he wanted to retire for all the "right" reasons (go out on top, saved his money, wear and tear etc), he likely would have done it after getting his ring. Who retires in June? FAs no one is interested in? Guys unsuccessful in a comeback or injury rehab? Guys who don't want to face another TC? Who else?

I'll say this. Christine is a guy I've been interested in since hearing there was an NFL player with the same name as my mom. So call me an early adopter. He's probably the best player named Christine to ever play in the NFL.

I am not so sure. RB is a very taxing job. It is nice for him to retire on his own term and leave on a high note.

There isn't much left for him to prove. Retiring when he's still relatively healthy is a smart choice.

Disclaimer: Christine Michael owner.
Surprised the powers that be here haven't wised up to your cleverly-disguised spam yet. :)

Yes sir, game ready.

The media lie and make a story out of something that might not be true? Stop, not ever, not never, not no how.

He is clearly refuting it in his own way and yet people still listening to third party blurbs then the horses mouth. No one finds that funny?
Please give it a rest.

Yes sir, game ready.

Please give it a rest.
You could of just left it alone instead you felt the need to comment, so do you really want me to leave it alone?

If my opinion bothers you, sorry. I'm not attacking you or anyone else just the media, so whats the problem in expressing my shock... Just dont like me and want to complain?

Marshawn is a different type of cat. He doesn't talk to the media, but if he tells friends he is contemplating retirement, I would sit up and take notice.

I could see him going one more season and walking away, he has taken such a beating over these past 7 seasons, but I just don't see him leaving 8.5 MIL on the table

by walking away now.

Totally makes sense that he posted this on twitter yesterday (with pic of him lifting).

Wait, wait, wait... but someone told someone who told someone who says he is going to retire.

What more proof do I need to think he is going to retire. That picture dont convince me that he is coming back and the caption saying he is preparing for the season dont convince me.... because Rappaport says the opposite and he knows more about Lynchs plans than Lynch does.

Yes sir, game ready.

Please give it a rest.
You could of just left it alone instead you felt the need to comment, so do you really want me to leave it alone?

If my opinion bothers you, sorry. I'm not attacking you or anyone else just the media, so whats the problem in expressing my shock... Just dont like me and want to complain?
o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun

1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
You had one value added opinion regarding the timing of the Josh Gordon suspension ruling. The other four posts were non-value added and condescending in nature against the OP. If you want to attack the media attack the media not the OP.

"Someone with 16,000 posts knows he could of added this to another thread."

"Any player can retire, I would feel ashamed of myself if I listened to everything a site wants us to click on."

Marshawn is a different type of cat. He doesn't talk to the media, but if he tells friends he is contemplating retirement, I would sit up and take notice.

I could see him going one more season and walking away, he has taken such a beating over these past 7 seasons, but I just don't see him leaving 8.5 MIL on the table

by walking away now.
He won't retire but he could tell them to make it into RBBC so he can save wear and tear on his body for his eventual release.

by walking away now.
He won't retire but he could tell them to make it into RBBC so he can save wear and tear on his body for his eventual release.
50/50 split makes Christine Michael a RB3 maybe a low end RB2 in PPR leagues............

by walking away now.
50/50 split makes Christine Michael a RB3 maybe a low end RB2 in PPR leagues............
It also drops Lynch's value to RB2. Either way, Lynch is looking like a "SELL" at this moment.

by walking away now.
It also drops Lynch's value to RB2. Either way, Lynch is looking like a "SELL" at this moment.
For what blind bidding dollars? The time to sell has passed, you're not getting much for him right now IMO.

by walking away now.
For what blind bidding dollars? The time to sell has passed, you're not getting much for him right now IMO.
We are in the SELL window now, he just came off a fantastic season. If you were going for a title last season, why would you sell prior to or during last season ?

It's easy to just say his value has dropped and you won't get much for him now, that's obvious. I;m agreeing with you, I'm also saying his value is on the decline but he can still be sold now

for something worthwhile. He hasn't reached the point of diminishing return, imo.

I'll say this. Christine is a guy I've been interested in since hearing there was an NFL player with the same name as my mom. So call me an early adopter. He's probably the best player named Christine to ever play in the NFL.
It's pronounced Chris-tin. Not sure if that's how your Moms is pronounced though.

Interest to gauge his dynasty value now. Someone in my league traded Ellington and Devin Street for Lynch and Abbrederis a few days ago. Basically Ellington for Lynch.

by walking away now.
I keep seeing 8.5 million mentioned. From what I've read, his salary is $5M this year will an addition $500k in roster bonus. He has a $2M roster bonus next year which is why he'll likely be cut if that deal still stands going into next year.

But I've been drinking.... so..... :shrug:

by walking away now.
I keep seeing 8.5 million mentioned. From what I've read, his salary is $5M this year will an addition $500k in roster bonus. He has a $2M roster bonus next year which is why he'll likely be cut if that deal still stands going into next year.

Also had a fair amount of sauce, but per Rotoworld:

Lynch is owed a $5 million salary, $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and $1.5 million in a prorated signing bonus.

It's pronounced Chris-tin. Not sure if that's how your Moms is pronounced though.
He knows. Still spelled the same.
my wife has a friend named Kristen. Same?

by walking away now.

Lynch is owed a $5 million salary, $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and $1.5 million in a prorated signing bonus.
So, not close to 8.5. At all.

by walking away now.

And the Seahawks could cut him for a measly 3m cap charge, less than the 5.5m he is making - take that Ian Rapoport, and run with it.

by walking away now.

$8.5M exactly - $5M salary, $500k roster bonuses and the $3M in pro-rated signing bonus that he'd have to pay back.

by walking away now.

$8.5M exactly - $5M salary, $500k roster bonuses and the $3M in pro-rated signing bonus that he'd have to pay back.

Users who are viewing this thread