Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined"

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weren't you quitting a few months ago too?

Remember this guy? http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/19895/after-years-out-of-football-saints-rb-tim-hightower-back-in-key-role Hightower was a STUD at the end of last ye

Thought I'd post this in here. Lynch visiting Houston, Scotland for a Skittles promo. I was one of the cameramen on the shoot !   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIjQuxaK4Mw

15 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

What a mess - and I'm not surprised in the slightest. 

Given the Seahawks situation with Rawls/Michael, why not just take him back? 

Huh? You could argue that both those guys are currently better than Lynch.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Huh? You could argue that both those guys are currently better than Lynch.

They are DEFINITELY both better than Lynch right now. 

He is SO done. Some QBs can play the retiring and unretiring game. RBs can't. Once they let go and get out of the whole routine of practicing and preparing every week, it's over. Their bodies turn to mush. 

Remember when the Patriots signed Steven Jackson last year? He was clearly past it. He had 21 carries for 50 yards. That'd be Lynch.

Apparently putting words in capital letters means a player is done. Give me a break kid. He is worth an end of the bench spot to see where this goes. He could easily be traded or cut if he comes back so being better than Seahawks rbs is not important. Oh and by the way he has been playing rb for the practice squad at Cal, so maybe his body isn't mush.

1 hour ago, spider321 said:

Obligatory every, single free agent will go to the Patriots post.

Pats are thin at the big back role and BB has shown interest in taking on vet RBs at the end of their career. (Taylor, Addai, Jackson, OTTOMH). I mean I get where you sass is coming from but this one actually seems like a fit.

37 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Apparently putting words in capital letters means a player is done. Give me a break kid. He is worth an end of the bench spot to see where this goes. He could easily be traded or cut if he comes back so being better than Seahawks rbs is not important. Oh and by the way he has been playing rb for the practice squad at Cal, so maybe his body isn't mush.

Kid? We're all middle-aged here. I don't even think he is worth an end of the bench spot. He's not going to start anywhere. At best, he'd be a minor contributor in a RBBC. I'd much rather have a player with some real upside like, say, Kenneth Dixon.

9 minutes ago, Miro Z said:

Kid? We're all middle-aged here. I don't even think he is worth an end of the bench spot. He's not going to start anywhere. At best, he'd be a minor contributor in a RBBC. I'd much rather have a player with some real upside like, say, Kenneth Dixon.

Have you been working out with him?

10 minutes ago, Miro Z said:

You can most likely pick up Dixon in a week or two for free...why not hold Lynch until we hear more and if nothing comes out of it drop Lynch for Dixon?

Just now, Weebs210 said:

You can most likely pick up Dixon in a week or two for free...why not hold Lynch until we hear more and if nothing comes out of it drop Lynch for Dixon?

Exactly my plan. Wait a few weeks and see where this goes. If he stays on the shelf, guys like Dixon and Dion Lewis will be there. Or, you have your drop guy for the bye weeks. 

18 minutes ago, Grigs Allmoon said:

Have you been working out with him?

He's 30, he plays RB and he has a significant injury history, what more do you need to know?

And btw, how nuts would it be to retire and forego $9 million salary, and to then come back to be cut and play for something much closer to the veteran minimum? Because there is no way anyone pays him $9 million.

Honestly, I've seen this so many times before - has-been former greats having a laugh by floating the possibility of returning. It rarely happens. When it very occasionally does, it's nearly always a damp squib. Forgive me if I'm a little sceptical.

1 minute ago, Miro Z said:

He's 30, he plays RB and he has a significant injury history, what more do you need to know?

And btw, how nuts would it be to retire and forego $9 million salary, and to then come back to be cut and play for something much closer to the veteran minimum? Because there is no way anyone pays him $9 million.

Honestly, I've seen this so many times before - has-been former greats having a laugh by floating the possibility of returning. It rarely happens. When it very occasionally does, it's nearly always a damp squib. Forgive me if I'm a little sceptical.

You weren't being skeptical. You were speaking in absolutes.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Miro Z said:

pretty sure he isn't playing for anything close to the minimum...try again.

15 hours ago, oddsbodkins said:

I dropped Riddick (in PPR no less) for this. He's my RB4/5 anyway... Unless Theo goes absolutely off, he'll be there for a few weeks. Lynch is an immediate RB1 wherever he lands.

I don't see him as a #1 at all, but I think he should be rostered in ALL LEAGUES as the last player on the squad. He has always hated training camp, so this is quintessential Lynch.

Not shocked at all that the world is going crazy about a Lynch return. He was beat up with injuries before he retired, he will have had no camp, no practice and we expect he will be in football shape after running the world on camels? I love his game and he had a great career, but will let someone else take the chance.

20 minutes ago, WheelsUp said:

Not shocked at all that the world is going crazy about a Lynch return. He was beat up with injuries before he retired, he will have had no camp, no practice and we expect he will be in football shape after running the world on camels? I love his game and he had a great career, but will let someone else take the chance.

Remember this guy?

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/19895/after-years-out-of-football-saints-rb-tim-hightower-back-in-key-role

Hightower was a STUD at the end of last year and won many championships.  He was out of football since 2012.  Let me remind you of what he did:

Week 14:  95 total yards 1TD

Week 15:  85 total yards

Week 16:  169 total yards 2 TDs CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

Week 17:  107 total yards 1 TD CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK FOR THOSE THAT USE WEEK 17

Are we saying that Beastmode, who has only been out of football for less than a year, is more washed up than Hightower?

Edited by steelwind
  • Like 5

So because Hightower was in the right place at the right time and is a rare instance means Lynch will do it because he is Beastmode?

Terrible post using the exception while trying to use a different player who has nothing to do with another is as baffling as anything. 4 of your 10 likes in over 1000 posts came from this comment, dang. Goes to show many people just scooped him so they are excited and will agree with any hype around Lynch, which includes and not limited to those who make rhetorical comments in this forum.

Did Hightower have a bad back, rides camels and was filmed basically doing nothing all offseason? Let me know...
Using the exception instead of the rule is as desperate as it gets.

Edited by WheelsUp
59 minutes ago, Ron_Mexico said:

Marshawn Lynch has been added in 35% of all MFL Leagues, all in the past 18 hours.

Many leagues cut their waivers off before the start of the first NFL game. This number could have been a lot higher.

:o

Florio speaks and people believe him. Does anyone believe that Florio is tight with anyone close to Lynch? I don't.

Mike Robinson spoke with him recently and Lynch told him that he wasn't going anywhere. I tend to believe Michael Robinson.  LINK

Former Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson, who blocked for Lynch for four seasons in Seattle,said on Periscope/Facebook Live on Friday that he spoke to Lynch and that he would not come out of retirement. “He told me... Dude, I’m not going anywhere. I’m as busy as ever.” Robinson was very adamant about the fact that Lynch was retired. The good thing about Rob’s report is that unlike an “unnamed source familiar with the situation,” Mike Rob is a namedsource familiar with the situation.

Long explanation coming but I just want to draw out so we all sort of understand what offically happens to Lynch and the Seahawks should he decide to officially retire or unretire.  And officially means he signs and files the retirement papers WHICH HE HAS NOT DONE.

The Seahawks put him on the Reserve/Retirement list on May 5th as a way to save their cap space (the cutoff is June 1st).  The cap savings results in the club splitting his 2016 salary (9 million) in two.  So they will take a dead roster hit of 4.5 million in 2016 and 4.5 million in 2017.  Because he has not filed retirement papers yet he is still on the Seahawks roster.  So the team still has rights to him.  Official policy here:

"Reserve/Retired– The retired list is what players are placed upon if they choose to retire rather than honor their contracts. This is more procedural than anything else. The player does not count towards the roster nor do they carry any cap charges as contracts are treated just as if the player was cut for salary cap purposes with prorated bonus money accelerating and being included as “dead money”.  Teams do maintain the rights to players on the retired list. These lists are not included on the site."

Okay so now that we all understand what the official roster designation means let's get on a granular level.  If and when Lynch files for retirement papers that is when his retirement is official.  Otherwise he will remain the property of the Seahawks.  The ink on the dotted line needs to happen.  After Lynch officially files and signs the retirement papers the Seahawks will have an option to go after signing bonus money that had been paid to Lynch during the course of his contract...which is actually 6 million dollars.  That's right.  Lynch actually has to pay 6 million dollars in order to retire...if the Seahawks want back some of that money.  If you're an NFL GM are you going to give away 6 mil?  I'll let you answer that for yourself.  For the Seahawks, recovering back the 6mil will ALSO allow them to receive salary cap credits reflecting the refund.  It will give them more financial flexibility.

Here's where the situation gets muddy for me.  If someone has knowledge please expand for us.  Should Lynch RETURN this year before the NFL trade deadline, reinstatement would have the team insert his 9 million in addition to the 4.5 million dead cap space.  So his coming out of retirement party will cost the Seahawks 4.5 million dollars.  BUT THAT'S NOT BAD!  Imagine if Calvin comes out of retirement.  The Lions would have to pay 16 million in addition to the 12 million dead cap space (his 2016 salary is 24 mill).  This 4.5 million dead cap space is managable if Lynch and the Seahawks both rework his contract out.  Again, just illustrating this is very minimal compared to a max player like Calvin.

Now that I have probably confused and lost you the takeaway from this post is that 1)  Lynch is not formally retired.  2)  His return will yield a friendly agreement provided that both sides agree to restructure.  3) If he offically retires I am 98% sure that the Seahawks will go after his signing bonus paid during the course of his contract and Lynch will pay back 6 million.

• Like 1

I don't think its out of the question for him to play at a high level.

I seem to recall Ricky Williams , though younger at the time, being a great fantasy/real player after retiring, smoking dope chronically,playing a little in Canada, and traveling the world. I think I am more concerned about his whiz quiz than his talent. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...