What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (2 Viewers)

Lot of people underestimating how good Marshawn Lynch is and how much he means to Seattle in here. Lynch is one of the few RBs who is a major (+) in all aspects of the game (running, receiving, blocking, durability/reliability) and also a veteran presence who sets the "we're physically kicking your ###" tone with the way he runs. He's the foundation of Seattle's offense and every bit as important to them overall as any RB in the NFL is to any other team. He's not a guy you can just replace and not miss a beat, regardless of how well the next guy up did on combine tests.
This is exactly the question (and a great post) - whether everything you just said is how the team staff feels about him. Do THEY believe that they couldn't have won a superbowl without him, or can't win another one this year without him. Without trying to be TOO snarky here, Seattle just might believe they could have still beaten Denver without Lynch's 39 yards on 15 carries in the big game.I don't doubt for a second that Lynch was/is in the upper echelon of overall RBs in the league, and I don't doubt that he helped them tremendously in achieving their goals. But is he truly irreplaceable? Or is there a trade-off there that might be worth denying him what he is asking for (whatever that is)? Those are much harder questions. I said in previous threads I thought he had SOME leverage, just not a LOT of leverage. I don't think the team will be AS good without Lynch, but they would still be a very good team. Of course, they also have to weigh the odds that he would actually follow through and sit out the season and lose the money he is on the books for.
Agree with this as well. It certainly doesn't make any sense at all for Seattle to break the bank and give Lynch a huge cap-crippling guaranteed extension. But just telling him to go pound sand doesn't make a ton of sense either given how razor thin the margins can be between the elite teams in the NFL. My guess is that they find some middle ground where he gets a little more security / money and saves face without compromising the team's ability to re-up other players moving forward.

My main point was that you just can't plug and play when replacing a Marshawn Lynch. He's a really freaking good all around football player IMO.
What do you mean, the Seahawks wouldnt need Peterson, McCoy, Lacy or Charles. Heck they wouldnt need Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in their prime...

They have Christine Michael, thats all they need according to a lot of people on this board and Rotoworld.
Think someone needs to change their name to FALSE CLAIMS. Please do be so kind to point out which "LOT OF PEOPLE" have said anything like that.
False claims? I have to give it to you, that was a good one. Good burn for sure. :thumbup:

Let me respond simply with this.

A guy who has touched the ball only 18 times in his NFL career has a 45 page thread while the offense rookie of the year Eddie Lacy has a 27 page thread.

So yes I will call that a lot.

<p>

Russell Wilson's paycheck seems to be ignored by those who think Seattle should pay Lynch:

• 2014: $662,434
  • 2015: $798,651
They can guarantee Lynch for 2015 and extend Wilson next year. I don't see a problem.
You don't see a problem so Russell Wilson should be OK with his paycheck? Lynch is replaceable, Russell Wilson is not. I can assure you there is a lack of understanding by Lynch owners.
COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE!
I love Lynch as much as the next guy, but stop with this nonsense. QB >>>>>>>>> RB in today's NFL. Wilson is a foundation piece for the franchise for the next decade.

<p>

Russell Wilson's paycheck seems to be ignored by those who think Seattle should pay Lynch:

They can guarantee Lynch for 2015 and extend Wilson next year. I don't see a problem.
You don't see a problem so Russell Wilson should be OK with his paycheck? Lynch is replaceable, Russell Wilson is not. I can assure you there is a lack of understanding by Lynch owners.
COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE!
I love Lynch as much as the next guy, but stop with this nonsense. QB >>>>>>>>> RB in today's NFL. Wilson is a foundation piece for the franchise for the next decade.
Like I said, I disagree. I think differently than you about Wilson and think he is a smart QB with a great deep ball, but he is what he is, 3300 yards and 26/10. I can go into the pros and cons for Wilson in his thread. But I think a guy who gets you 300/1400/12 is much more rare than a 3000 yard QB with 20 some TDs. His running adds a great dimension, but without his defense, how would he do having to throw the ball a lot?

Last edited by a moderator:

The could certainly do that. Question is, do they want to? Or would they rather wait and see what happens this year before making that commitment? There is no real incentive for them to just guarantee that money. All they get is a happier Lynch for one year. They get nothing next year because they can just keep him at that salary if they want to. So if they believe he will eventually play this year, there just isn't much in it for them except to be "good guys". And if they already believe he is being adequately compensated...

<p>

Per the CBA, they can't renegotiate Wilson's deal until next offseason even if they wanted to. Throwing Lynch a bone in 2014 has exactly zero ramifications on a deal with Wilson. Obviously if it comes down to either Wilson or Lynch exclusively in 2015, then Lynch is gone, but it's really not that simple. I'm guessing John Schneider is probably smart enough to figure out a way to get Lynch back in the fold this year without compromising his ability to lock up Wilson for 2015 and beyond.
That's actually not entirely true since you can roll over extra cap. If the Seahawks save money this year it can be used for Wilson's contract next season.

The could certainly do that. Question is, do they want to? Or would they rather wait and see what happens this year before making that commitment? There is no real incentive for them to just guarantee that money. All they get is a happier Lynch for one year. They get nothing next year because they can just keep him at that salary if they want to. So if they believe he will eventually play this year, there just isn't much in it for them except to be "good guys". And if they already believe he is being adequately compensated...
A happy Lynch is far from a small thing.

<p>

Per the CBA, they can't renegotiate Wilson's deal until next offseason even if they wanted to. Throwing Lynch a bone in 2014 has exactly zero ramifications on a deal with Wilson. Obviously if it comes down to either Wilson or Lynch exclusively in 2015, then Lynch is gone, but it's really not that simple. I'm guessing John Schneider is probably smart enough to figure out a way to get Lynch back in the fold this year without compromising his ability to lock up Wilson for 2015 and beyond.
That's actually not entirely true since you can roll over extra cap. If the Seahawks save money this year it can be used for Wilson's contract next season.
Yeah, but the main point is that this is nowhere near an either / or situation. It's really not even remotely close to that, and calling it that is a huge oversimplification and just a really bad way to look at it.

Is a happy Lynch better or worse than an angry Lynch? Personally, I think Lynch will run the same either way - like a beast.

Is a happy Lynch better or worse than an angry Lynch? Personally, I think Lynch will run the same either way - like a beast.
Lynch is kind of a strange dude. Most players would just cave and take the millions already on the table -- he might not. Probably will, but there's a greater chance of him staying out into the season than most players IMO.

Russell Wilson by rule can not have his contract renegotiated until next offseason.

Hopefully Lynch recognizes he's gone after 2014 and is working to get some more money THIS year rather than something else. Because the Seahawks seem unlikely to give an inch as far as 2015+ go.

Odds are high this all gets worked out, but Lynch definitely seems like a guy whose motivations are his own and IMO the possibility that all of this goes south (for him and for his fantasy owners -- not so much for Seattle) is higher than most holdouts.

What are the chances Patriots make a move to send Ridley and a 5th for Lynch and extend Lynch through 2016 at 7 million per?

Lynch is kind of a strange dude. Most players would just cave and take the millions already on the table -- he might not. Probably will, but there's a greater chance of him staying out into the season than most players IMO.
Agreed.

The big risk for the Seahawks is that he shows up week 1 to collect his paycheck and then decides not to give 100% to save his body for free agency.

Lot of people underestimating how good Marshawn Lynch is and how much he means to Seattle in here. Lynch is one of the few RBs who is a major (+) in all aspects of the game (running, receiving, blocking, durability/reliability) and also a veteran presence who sets the "we're physically kicking your ###" tone with the way he runs. He's the foundation of Seattle's offense and every bit as important to them overall as any RB in the NFL is to any other team. He's not a guy you can just replace and not miss a beat, regardless of how well the next guy up did on combine tests.
This is exactly the question (and a great post) - whether everything you just said is how the team staff feels about him. Do THEY believe that they couldn't have won a superbowl without him, or can't win another one this year without him. Without trying to be TOO snarky here, Seattle just might believe they could have still beaten Denver without Lynch's 39 yards on 15 carries in the big game.I don't doubt for a second that Lynch was/is in the upper echelon of overall RBs in the league, and I don't doubt that he helped them tremendously in achieving their goals. But is he truly irreplaceable? Or is there a trade-off there that might be worth denying him what he is asking for (whatever that is)? Those are much harder questions. I said in previous threads I thought he had SOME leverage, just not a LOT of leverage. I don't think the team will be AS good without Lynch, but they would still be a very good team. Of course, they also have to weigh the odds that he would actually follow through and sit out the season and lose the money he is on the books for.
Agree with this as well. It certainly doesn't make any sense at all for Seattle to break the bank and give Lynch a huge cap-crippling guaranteed extension. But just telling him to go pound sand doesn't make a ton of sense either given how razor thin the margins can be between the elite teams in the NFL. My guess is that they find some middle ground where he gets a little more security / money and saves face without compromising the team's ability to re-up other players moving forward.My main point was that you just can't plug and play when replacing a Marshawn Lynch. He's a really freaking good all around football player IMO.
What do you mean, the Seahawks wouldnt need Peterson, McCoy, Lacy or Charles. Heck they wouldnt need Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in their prime...

They have Christine Michael, thats all they need according to a lot of people on this board and Rotoworld.
Think someone needs to change their name to FALSE CLAIMS. Please do be so kind to point out which "LOT OF PEOPLE" have said anything like that.
A simple search will reveal a ton of Michael > Lynch talk. About a month ago in another thread there were people claiming Lynch = Peterson.
Yes, I am well aware of the discussions, ad nauseam, and I am also aware he was only being hyperbolic, and so was I asking for him to show me threads stating the the Seahawks only need Michael and nothing else.

Agree with this as well. It certainly doesn't make any sense at all for Seattle to break the bank and give Lynch a huge cap-crippling guaranteed extension. But just telling him to go pound sand doesn't make a ton of sense either given how razor thin the margins can be between the elite teams in the NFL. My guess is that they find some middle ground where he gets a little more security / money and saves face without compromising the team's ability to re-up other players moving forward.

My main point was that you just can't plug and play when replacing a Marshawn Lynch. He's a really freaking good all around football player IMO.

False claims? I have to give it to you, that was a good one. Good burn for sure. :thumbup:

A guy who has touched the ball only 18 times in his NFL career has a 45 page thread while the offense rookie of the year Eddie Lacy has a 27 page thread.

Good lord, man. I replied to hyperbole with hyperbole.No one has ever said Michael was all they need, and that was your comment. Regardless of how many posts made you mad stating Michael was going to ... whatever, no-one ever said that is all they need. You left a snark reply to a post and I followed to show how stupid doing so was

EDIT - But congrats on pulling me into the thing I hate most. But with that, I am done. Onto more productive things. I am sure we can all agree posts like these do nothing beneficial. So ... moving on

Good lord, man. I replied to hyperbole with hyperbole.No one has ever said Michael was all they need, and that was your comment. Regardless of how many posts made you mad stating Michael was going to ... whatever, no-one ever said that is all they need. You left a snark reply to a post and I followed to show how stupid doing so was

EDIT - But congrats on pulling me into the thing I hate most. But with that, I am done. Onto more productive things. I am sure we can all agree posts like these do nothing beneficial. So ... moving on
No one pulled you in to anything, you decided to comment yourself. Strange you say you hate being "pulled" into a discussion which is what a forum is for. :shrug:

Plus clearly no one said those things, I mentioned Barry Sanders, how could that be serious? Good lord man, as you say. Many imply that Michael is the next greatest thing, that was my joke about it. Was it the proof of more comments in a Michael thread over a Lacy thread a dead give away?

Many think Michael is the next best thing and hope Lynch is out of the picture so he can play, that is not hyperbole, its true because many do. Michael support is through the roof.

Haven't read the thread, but I hope he retires. Signs a 4-year deal. Plays two years. Wants more money.

Okay.

Would the team have asked him to give the money back he already earned if he SUCKED? Same crap, every season. It should disgust every one of you who get up and go to work every day. This is not an anti-Seahawks thing, to be clear. I said the same things when MJD held out, and I would say the same things if a Raider was doing this. Not happy with the deal you signed? Go apply at McDonald's and have a great season, guy.

Would the team have asked him to give the money back he already earned if he SUCKED?
Yes. And then cut him if he didn't agree. It happens all the time. Maybe they don't even offer. There is no right or wrong here, it's all a money grab - the team that doesn't wanna pay more, the player that wants paid more.

Haven't read the thread, but I hope he retires. Signs a 4-year deal. Plays two years. Wants more money.

Okay.

Would the team have asked him to give the money back he already earned if he SUCKED? Same crap, every season. It should disgust every one of you who get up and go to work every day. This is not an anti-Seahawks thing, to be clear. I said the same things when MJD held out, and I would say the same things if a Raider was doing this. Not happy with the deal you signed? Go apply at McDonald's and have a great season, guy.
I think he realizes that he's a cap casualty next year. My guess is that he is trying to get more money this year and less money next year so 1) he gets his money now and 2) he doesn't get cut next year because of his cap hit. But that's just my drunken speculation. :)

Would the team have asked him to give the money back he already earned if he SUCKED?
Yes. And then cut him if he didn't agree. It happens all the time. Maybe they don't even offer. There is no right or wrong here, it's all a money grab - the team that doesn't wanna pay more, the player that wants paid more.
You can provide a specific example of a player returning money he already earned?

You can provide a specific example of a player returning money he already earned?
Whoa, I way misread your post. Took it as asking him to take a pay cut, not that that's all that much different. Bottom line is it's not about what's right or wrong, it's about leverage. Everyone wants more money, and every owner wants to pay player less. Charles just got redone, and that's because the team can't afford to not have him so made it worth his while not to risk it.

Charles Rogers.

Okay.

I used to think like you but now realize that the NFL is primarily a business with both sides trying to get the best deal they can. There's no good or bad, only two sides trying to do what is best for them.

If Russell Wilson has a career ending injury this season do you think the Seahawks are going to send him a big check for the work he's been underpaid for so far in his career?

When players are making reasonable demands - as I believe Lynch is - then I support them.

When players are making reasonable demands - as I believe Lynch is - then I support them.
But he's in no position to be making demands. Luca Brasi didn't have a gun pointed at Lynch's head as he signed his last contract. Does his signature on the agreement mean nothing? Honor the damn contract.

But he's in no position to be making demands. Luca Brasi didn't have a gun pointed at Lynch's head as he signed his last contract. Does his signature on the agreement mean nothing? Honor the damn contract.
Why do you care so much about Seattle's wallet? You Paul Allen's son?

And I completely disagree that he's not in position to make demands. He could ride off into the sunset right now and be set for life. The Seahawks need his services more than he needs them.

:rolleyes:

This is not an anti-Seahawks thing, to be clear. I said the same things when MJD held out, and I would say the same things if a Raider was doing this.

“I hate the ‘but you signed the contract’ argument,” Baldwin wrote. “Players can’t say that s–t when organizations cut them.”
EGGS-----zactly!

Everyone knows the rules going in. Newsflash: there is only one owner. Without him, there is no contract. They name the tune -- you dance to it. If you are unhappy with the terms, you are welcome to find yourself a better deal elsewhere. Without Lynch, the next man in the assembly line steps in and he is now just a guy who used to play for the Seattle Seahawks.

It's business. Not personal. It doesn't need to be contentious. If the numbers don't make sense for the club, it's best for both parties to move on.

Hey guys since Lynch can't make much more than 50k/yr if he left football he's not under paid until his salary is 49k/yr according to Raider Nation.

Lol

Yeah just because nfl players are making millions doesn't mean they aren't being exploited. RN must be in line for majority stake of the Seahawks.

And I completely disagree that he's not in position to make demands. He could ride off into the sunset right now and be set for life. The Seahawks need his services more than he needs them.
Lynch isn't walking away from 5 million dollars this year and 13 million left on his deal...I don't care how "set" he is.....so he really does not hold all of the leverage. Seattle isn't going to cut him if he is holding out.

“I hate the ‘but you signed the contract’ argument,” Baldwin wrote. “Players can’t say that s–t when organizations cut them.”
EGGS-----zactly!

Everyone knows the rules going in. Newsflash: there is only one owner. Without him, there is no contract. They name the tune -- you dance to it. If you are unhappy with the terms, you are welcome to find yourself a better deal elsewhere. Without Lynch, the next man in the assembly line steps in and he is now just a guy who used to play for the Seattle Seahawks.

It's business. Not personal. It doesn't need to be contentious. If the numbers don't make sense for the club, it's best for both parties to move on.
Owners want to win Super Bowls because it helps them make money, the Seahawks have a 0% chance of repeating without Lynch and do not win last years title without Lynch. Lynch has more leverage then some want to admit.

Plus for all the Michael fans, the first person Russell talked about and talked more about was Turbin saying he will step in and do fine, so if Turbin even gets more carries than Michael, Rotoworld and Michaels supporters heads will blow.

I hate the but you signed the contract argument, Baldwin wrote. Players cant say that st when organizations cut them.
EGGS-----zactly!

Owners want to win Super Bowls because it helps them make money, the Seahawks have a 0% chance of repeating without Lynch and do not win last years title without Lynch. Lynch has more leverage then some want to admit.

Plus for all the Michael fans, the first person Russell talked about and talked more about was Turbin saying he will step in and do fine, so if Turbin even gets more carries than Michael, Rotoworld and Michaels supporters heads will blow.
0% chance? Come on.

I hate the but you signed the contract argument, Baldwin wrote. Players cant say that st when organizations cut them.
EGGS-----zactly!

0% chance? Come on.
Paul Allen doesn't want to win Super Bowls because he needs the money. That post is all kinds of fail.

EGGS-----zactly!

I might be missing your point, but Baldwin is saying that he has Lynch's back in this. Teams sign players to deals when they know they can cut them before it expires.

Lynch has the most leverage right now that he is going to have and is using it. I get your argument but Lynch should get more for what he has done, this is the way the league works right now.

COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE!
Are you serious? Do you watch many of the Seahawk games? Or are you fishing?

Wilson is probably one of the most efficient QB's in the NFL right now. He takes what they give and rarely makes mistakes. He also has the ability to light it up when needed. The guy is gold. The Manning/Brady debate will probably shift to the Wilson/Luck debate over the next few years.

Lynch is an awesome RB, but everyone can see how RB's are valued right now. He is also 28 with a lot of punishment over the past 3 years. Seattle could win a Superbowl next year by playing their backup RB. Seattle would probably not make the playoffs next year by going to their backup QB (especially in that division).

<p>

COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE!
Like I said, I disagree. I think differently than you about Wilson and think he is a smart QB with a great deep ball, but he is what he is, 3300 yards and 26/10. I can go into the pros and cons for Wilson in his thread. But I think a guy who gets you 300/1400/12 is much more rare than a 3000 yard QB with 20 some TDs. His running adds a great dimension, but without his defense, how would he do having to throw the ball a lot?
And how many of those QBs also throw in over 500 rushing yards?

I suspect Wilson would do just fine throwing the ball a lot. He is a guy who finished 4th in YPA in both of his first two seasons, despite having a below average receiving corps.

Meanwhile, Lynch was 22nd last year among RBs in YPC.

Lynch is definitely valuable to the Seattle offense, but at this point, WIlson is simply more valuable. Both benefit from the other, but they'd be more likely to drop off if they lost Wilson rather than Lynch.

<p>

COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE!
And how many of those QBs also throw in over 500 rushing yards?

I suspect Wilson would do just fine throwing the ball a lot. He is a guy who finished 4th in YPA in both of his first two seasons, despite having a below average receiving corps.

Meanwhile, Lynch was 22nd last year among RBs in YPC.

Lynch is definitely valuable to the Seattle offense, but at this point, WIlson is simply more valuable. Both benefit from the other, but they'd be more likely to drop off if they lost Wilson rather than Lynch.
:lol: To assume a guy who is efficient because of the running game Lynch provides will be that efficient without him is pretty funny. I think I mentioned his legs add a dimension? Yes I did, so thanks for reading the whole point I made.

Speaking of 22nd ranked, thats where Wilson ranked in pass attempts, 19th in completions, 11th in pct, 16th in passing yards, His efficientcy in TD to Int is nice and I like it, but Lynch was 2nd in attempts, 6th in yards, 1st in rushing TDs 2nd in overall TDs, 36 receptions on 44 targets with only 1 fumble lost on the season.

But you mention his 4.2 ypc as 22nd and not his actual stat at a good number like 4.2 ypc, because Starks is #1 on that list that puts Lynch 22nd, so... think that pretty much buries that stat. Blount and his 150 carries was 6th, Foster played 8 games and you are counting that above 300+ carry Lynch. My point is made, of the people ahead of him 10 people had less then 182 carries.

Lynch statistically provides more value tot he Seahawks than Wilson, sorry. If Lynch aint around your boy Wilson will not be as efficient.

Okay.

Why don't players have the right to renegotiate contracts that obviously do not stack up to their value? These players get one or maybe 2 contracts in their careers if they are lucky. Most when they retire from the sport have amassed a little bit of money but end up woefully under equipped to survive in the world you and I live in. Why do you resent the money they make just because you have the physical ability to get up and go to work everyday?

Do you bellyache about the price of homes in your area or do you simply just accept that whatever they are selling for is what the market will support?

Put it another way. These players might make $500,000 a year when they enter the league, the vast majority now are not getting millions in signing bonuses anymore. What do most young men do who might make $500,000 at the age of 22? Do you think they go and put it in the piggy bank? Are you so naive to think that the majority of these players have the infrastructure or financial team surrounding them to make great choices? All of them who enter the league?

So what happens? They end up giving about half of it away in taxes or at least $150,000 of it so they are left with $350,000...they help a few relatives out, they buy a semi decent home, a car, the money goes quickly and the career for many is the rookie contract and not much more than that. Some will sign a decent contract at the age of 25-26 years old.

And you sit there and act like you would do anything different. Easy to say when you do not and will never possess the skills needed to earn $500,000 a year be it on the gridiron or the officeiron.

No need to act all superior to an NFL athlete who wants a little more of the multi-BILLION $$$ industry of the NFL that you enjoy from the comforts of your couch 2-3 times a week, sorry you have to get up and earn a living in this free country.

Okay.

Why don't players have the right to renegotiate contracts that obviously do not stack up to their value? These players get one or maybe 2 contracts in their careers if they are lucky. Most when they retire from the sport have amassed a little bit of money but end up woefully under equipped to survive in the world you and I live in. Why do you resent the money they make just because you have the physical ability to get up and go to work everyday?

Do you bellyache about the price of homes in your area or do you simply just accept that whatever they are selling for is what the market will support?

Put it another way. These players might make $500,000 a year when they enter the league, the vast majority now are not getting millions in signing bonuses anymore. What do most young men do who might make $500,000 at the age of 22? Do you think they go and put it in the piggy bank? Are you so naive to think that the majority of these players have the infrastructure or financial team surrounding them to make great choices? All of them who enter the league?

So what happens? They end up giving about half of it away in taxes or at least $150,000 of it so they are left with $350,000...they help a few relatives out, they buy a semi decent home, a car, the money goes quickly and the career for many is the rookie contract and not much more than that. Some will sign a decent contract at the age of 25-26 years old.

And you sit there and act like you would do anything different. Easy to say when you do not and will never possess the skills needed to earn $500,000 a year be it on the gridiron or the officeiron.

No need to act all superior to an NFL athlete who wants a little more of the multi-BILLION $$$ industry of the NFL that you enjoy from the comforts of your couch 2-3 times a week, sorry you have to get up and earn a living in this free country.
:goodposting:

Okay.

Why don't players have the right to renegotiate contracts that obviously do not stack up to their value? These players get one or maybe 2 contracts in their careers if they are lucky. Most when they retire from the sport have amassed a little bit of money but end up woefully under equipped to survive in the world you and I live in. Why do you resent the money they make just because you have the physical ability to get up and go to work everyday? Do you bellyache about the price of homes in your area or do you simply just accept that whatever they are selling for is what the market will support?

Lynch is making a fair wage for an elite RB. This is an obvious desperate money-grab because he's a fan favorite and they just won the Super Bowl, and he sees the end of his career in a couple years rushing up on him. Some guys are obviously underpaid.

But Lynch is fairly paid amongst his peers. Just up and deciding that you want more money or more security halfway through a fair deal is bull, you don't get an exemption just because you're a 28 year old RB.

You're still free to believe what you're saying above, and some of it rings true for me as well. But I see what RN is saying as well, in Lynch's case.

Users who are viewing this thread