Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined"

One strange cat.

He's made a choice to be left alone by the media because they've given him reason not to trust them in the past. He continues to do his job, and do it well. Isn't there a chance that he's the "normal" guy in the business and everyone else is a self-absorbed egomaniac?

EDIT: I can relate on a much smaller scale. I teach high school mathematics. Our local paper prints our individual school test scores on the front page of the paper every year. Year in and year out I have people wanting to ask me why we did awesome or why we did poorly. They show absolutely no sense of perspective from year to year. Its a bit maddening to continually get asked the same questions over and over. With anything with regard to Lynch I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt when its comes to his effort and heart from week to week. While other players on the field are making business decisions Lynch is pouring his heart into this game.

Edited by Hooper31

One strange cat.

He's made a choice to be left alone by the media because they've given him reason not to trust them in the past. He continues to do his job, and do it well. Isn't there a chance that he's the "normal" guy in the business and everyone else is a self-absorbed egomaniac?

No.

I'm talking about staying out on the field during half time in freezing temperatures instead of going into the locker room with your team and going over the 2nd half game plan like everyone else does every time. The talking to the media stuff is strange as well- no one is saying he needs to tell them his inner most secrets but all he has to do is mumble a few things to not potentially get fined $100K.

The guy is out there (which is fine, but true).

Just saw your edit, still not sure what you're talking about. I'm not questioning his heart or effort, just saying he's a weird dude.

Your analogy is kind of strange, but you still answer the questions about the test scores, right? I'm guessing you certainly would if you got fined for not doing so. I'd also guess that when you have a teachers meeting you don't sit outside on the bench by yourself in the freezing cold and snow. If you do, I'd say you're weird as well.

Lynch is a bit "weird" for sure. But, when it comes to the media I think he just lumps most of them together as internet trolls after years of dealing with the typical crap that a lot of these guys write. He talks to a few of them he knows.

Perfect example is yesterday when asked about all the "sources" who say he's gone after this season he says:

"Do I think I'll be gone after this season?" Lynch repeated, pausing to consider the question. "I don't know, man. The Seahawks, their front office gets in the media; they talk a lot. I don't talk too much. I just play the game. If they have something going on, I don't know about it."

The headline that I see on yahoo this morning is "Beastmode RIPS front office". Complete BS headline.

How you handle the media and is all part of being a star in the NFL he welcomes trouble by not doing a better job at it. I just think doesn't give a #### and has no care about managing PR.

I'm talking about staying out on the field during half time in freezing temperatures instead of going into the locker room with your team ...

This has already been addressed. He wasn't sitting in the freezing cold shivering. Of course reporting this as if he's looking for frostbite or showing contempt for his team is a story, or at least something that some media member WANTS to be a story. He was sitting on a heated seat keeping warmth on his back in an attempt to keep it loose.

I'm talking about staying out on the field during half time in freezing temperatures instead of going into the locker room with your team ...

This has already been addressed. He wasn't sitting in the freezing cold shivering. Of course reporting this as if he's looking for frostbite or showing contempt for his team is a story, or at least something that some media member WANTS to be a story. He was sitting on a heated seat keeping warmth on his back in an attempt to keep it loose.

:lmao:

Why so defensive- are you related to him or something? No one is questioning his heart or effort, no idea why you even brought that up. I'm pretty sure they have the ability to keep warmth on his back inside too. It's an odd decision to sit outside there, which is why no one ever does it (he isn't the only person in history who needed to keep his back warm during half time).

Sorry if it somehow offends you, but he's "odd".

Why so defensive- are you related to him or something? No one is questioning his heart or effort, no idea why you even brought that up. I'm pretty sure they have the ability to keep warmth on his back inside too. It's an odd decision to sit outside there, which is why no one ever does it (he isn't the only person in history who needed to keep his back warm during half time).

I don't think calling him "odd" offended Hooper. I think Hooper just found it annoying that you were spreading the same misinformation that had just been proven to be fallacious.

You can't really believe that's why he stayed out on the field during halftime, can you? Like they couldn't put heat on his back in the locker room?

Seems far more likely that he's disenchanted and acting out accordingly.

I don't think calling him "odd" offended Hooper. I think Hooper just found it annoying that you were spreading the same misinformation that had just been proven to be fallacious.

Lol- what part was misinformation? I didn't say why he stayed out there, just that he did, which is a fact.

This is exactly why I sympathize with Lynch. A narrative has been created. You want to buy into that narrative. I've followed the Seahawks closely for nearly 40 years. I know this team backwards and forwards. Its a hobby of mine. That said, I'm no blind homer. I'm the first one to call out Seattle fans when they're being stupid. If there's a measure for objectivity with regard to one's favorite time I know I would score high on that. I'm willing to allow my reputation speak for itself around here.

Marshawn Lynch is a guy that's not typical when it comes to priorities of the average professional athlete. I've been witnessing this for years. He got paid by the Seahawks and played better. Chew on that for a moment. He got the big paycheck, and then played better. That's a rarity.

Was Earl Campbell odd? Was Ricky Williams weird? Was Marcus Dupree a screwball? I would say no. I think you can combine these players in with a guy like Lynch. He's incredibly introverted and emotional. If I were to hazard a guess I would say his Myers-Briggs would be profile would be INFP. If you really want to know what makes a guy like Lynch tick read that profile. I think you'll be surprised to find that he pretty far from the self-adsorbed ego-driven star athlete that the average fan would like to portray him as.

Lol- what part was misinformation? I didn't say why he stayed out there, just that he did, which is a fact.

Don't be dense. You said "staying out in freezing temperatures" which is not even close to accurate. He stayed out with a warming device keeping his back loose.

Don't be dense. You said "staying out in freezing temperatures" which is not even close to accurate. He stayed out with a warming device keeping his back loose.

Oh, so it wasn't freezing outside?

It is the very definition of unusual to stay out on the field during half time, even if it was to keep his back loose. You can keep your back loose/get treatment indoors as well, which is what every other player does.

Edited by humpback

This is exactly why I sympathize with Lynch. A narrative has been created. You want to buy into that narrative. I've followed the Seahawks closely for nearly 40 years. I know this team backwards and forwards. Its a hobby of mine. That said, I'm no blind homer. I'm the first one to call out Seattle fans when they're being stupid. If there's a measure for objectivity with regard to one's favorite time I know I would score high on that. I'm willing to allow my reputation speak for itself around here.

Marshawn Lynch is a guy that's not typical when it comes to priorities of the average professional athlete. I've been witnessing this for years. He got paid by the Seahawks and played better. Chew on that for a moment. He got the big paycheck, and then played better. That's a rarity.

Was Earl Campbell odd? Was Ricky Williams weird? Was Marcus Dupree a screwball? I would say no. I think you can combine these players in with a guy like Lynch. He's incredibly introverted and emotional. If I were to hazard a guess I would say his Myers-Briggs would be profile would be INFP. If you really want to know what makes a guy like Lynch tick read that profile. I think you'll be surprised to find that he pretty far from the self-adsorbed ego-driven star athlete that the average fan would like to portray him as.

I'm not sure why my statement would mean that I'm buying into "media narratives" that have been put out there. I'm making an assumption, a pretty safe one at that, that regardless of how aloof Lynch is he certainly realizes that he can get the same treatment on his back indoors, with his team, during halftime the same as he's done in likely every other game of his career to date. The same way that every other player on his team does and has in every game of their career's to date. That he can then be involved with his teammates at halftime in whatever the coaches are saying or going over in regards to 2nd half about to be played.

I don't doubt that Lynch is introverted and emotional. That much seems pretty clear. But he's a smart guy. He knows that he should be in the locker room at halftime and he made a conscious decision to stay out on the field. He didn't do that just to get treatment on his back. There's very little doubt about that IMO.

He knows that he should be in the locker room at halftime and he made a conscious decision to stay out on the field. He didn't do that just to get treatment on his back. There's very little doubt about that IMO.

I will continue to withhold judgment in situations where I have little to no first hand information. Was it different? Certainly. Was it plausible? Certainly.

Was it plausible? Certainly.

I have no dog in this fight, but when's the last time you've heard of any NFL player (or player at any level, in any sport) doing this?

If it never happened before, not even once, what exactly does that mean to you?

I get that reporters are looking for a story. Their job depends on it. If they smell the slightest hint of a discord there must be a fire. Larger the fire the better the story. Why does this non-story bother me? Because it brings out the worst in fans and the media. Combine this with the personality that Lynch has and you get even greater amounts of speculation that somehow turn into fact.

For instance, remember when they traded Harvin and it was reported that Lynch refused to get on the bus because he was pissed? That was reported over and over. Was it true? Not according to an eye witness. Doug Hendrickson was there and said it didn't happen.

LINK

That point was driven home in October when the Seahawks sent receiver Percy Harvin to the New York Jets. Lynch's agent, Doug Hendrickson, has denied a report that Lynch was so upset by the trade that the running back openly vented, temporarily refusing to board the team bus before it headed to the airport for a road game against the St. Louis Rams.

Did this rebuttal of the original story get the same play time that the original fake story got? Of course not.

Was it plausible? Certainly.

I have no dog in this fight, but when's the last time you've heard of any NFL player (or player at any level, in any sport) doing this?

If it never happened before, not even once, what exactly does that mean to you?

I get that reporters are looking for a story. Their job depends on it. If they smell the slightest hint of a discord there must be a fire. Larger the fire the better the story. Why does this non-story bother me? Because it brings out the worst in fans and the media. Combine this with the personality that Lynch has and you get even greater amounts of speculation that somehow turn into fact.

For instance, remember when they traded Harvin and it was reported that Lynch refused to get on the bus because he was pissed? That was reported over and over. Was it true? Not according to an eye witness. Doug Hendrickson was there and said it didn't happen.

LINK

That point was driven home in October when the Seahawks sent receiver Percy Harvin to the New York Jets. Lynch's agent, Doug Hendrickson, has denied a report that Lynch was so upset by the trade that the running back openly vented, temporarily refusing to board the team bus before it headed to the airport for a road game against the St. Louis Rams.

Did this rebuttal of the original story get the same play time that the original fake story got? Of course not.

His agent denied it? Might want someone more objective there...

Rotoworld:

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll expressed confidence Monday that Marshawn Lynch (back, illness) will play on Thanksgiving against the 49ers.

"We'll expect he'll be ready to go," said Carroll. "He won't want to miss this." It's obviously a huge division game in primetime. Lynch missed a number of plays in Sunday's win over the Cardinals because he was "sick to his stomach," Carroll said after the game. Carroll also acknowledged Lynch's longstanding back woes haven't gone away. He'll be a low-end RB1 against the 49ers.
Nov 24 - 5:27 PM

Rotoworld:

Profootballtalk reports Marshawn Lynch (back, illness) will "without question" play against the 49ers on Thanksgiving.

It's not a surprise, as coach Pete Carroll essentially guaranteed on Monday that Beast Mode would suit up for Seattle's grudge match with the 49ers. Lynch has been playing mostly dominant football, but on a short week against a tough run defense, he'll be a lower-end RB1 for Week 13.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Nov 25 - 6:26 PM

While I agree he may very well retire, a few things to think about. He is still as talented as any back in the league and should be entrusted to run the ball as an every down back on any team until he shows otherwise. He too is a freak of nature, bad back and all he is still doing very well.

Talent is not the question its his passion to continue playing, that being said I would feel more worried if it wasnt one of the worst reporters in the NFL reporting this. When was the last time Rap was right about anything. If he told be the sky is blue I would have to double check.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Marshawn Lynch will consider retirement following the season.

Per Rapoport, Beast Mode contemplated walking away after the Seahawks' Super Bowl title last year. RapSheet continues to insist the Seahawks will cut Lynch in the offseason thanks to his inflated salary and "their desire to rework the locker room around Russell Wilson." Lynch may make the decision for them, but one way he may stick around the NFL is if OL coach Tom Cable gets another head-coaching job. The two are extremely close, and Cable loves the power run game. Lynch will turn 29 in April.
Source: NFL.com
Nov 30 - 7:44 AM

Looking forward to the interview with Mike Rob this morning. Very curious to hear what he has to say. I have a very specific vision of who I think he is, but I could be wrong. I've tried pay close attention to what he's said since arriving in Seattle, but he hasn't said much.

ALL ABOUT THAT ACTION, BOSS

Looking forward to the interview with Mike Rob this morning. Very curious to hear what he has to say. I have a very specific vision of who I think he is, but I could be wrong. I've tried pay close attention to what he's said since arriving in Seattle, but he hasn't said much.

ALL ABOUT THAT ACTION, BOSS

That was disappointing. I guess he remains who I think he is for the time being. :kicksrock:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. He makes that offense go. Although he's starting to get up in age now and at some point he's going to hit the wall.

Surprised to know he's younger than Forte?

No, Forte is another one who is getting iffy with age. It's a young man's position. He'll be 29 heading into next season I think right? Seattle obviously knows this as they seem to be ahead of the curve on roster matters. I think it's 50/50 at best that he's back.

I agree. He makes that offense go. Although he's starting to get up in age now and at some point he's going to hit the wall.

I'm not generally an "intangibles" guy, but I think he makes the defense better too. The whole team is tougher and more willing to sacrifice when they see what he does on every carry.

Edited by wdcrob

I'm not generally an "intangibles" guy, but I think he makes the defense better too. The whole team is tougher and more willing to sacrifice when they see what he does on every carry.

I don't think this can be said too much. The team has guys on both sides of the ball that are playing for each other. When a guy makes a great play or makes a mistake there are constantly teammates slapping others on the back and getting guys pumped up. IMO Pete Carroll deserves the credit for creating and maintaining this atmosphere.

Consider for a moment that this historically great defense hasn't had a single guy in the front seven play in the pro-bowl. They're not dominating with great individual talents, they're dominating by playing together in a scheme that's not very complex. They keep it simple. They keep everything in front of them and play disciplined unified football.

Honestly may be the best RB I've ever seen. I'm not a hawks fan, but watch their games just to see Lynch beasting.

This talk about him hitting the wall is crazy. He looks better this year than ever before.

Agreed. I would love to see Seattle cut him and have the Cowboys pick him up. One of my favorite players to watch, he just plays hard. Turbin and Michael are good, but nowhere near Lynch right now. Few RBs are though.