What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bail Hypothetical (1 Viewer)

How many people in your life would you bail out if it meant putting up your house?

Votes: 10 15.6%

Votes: 7 10.9%

Votes: 5 7.8%

Votes: 2 3.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • More than 10

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters

Thorn

Footballguy
Suppose you get a call in the middle of the night. Someone you know is in jail, and they are asking you to bail them out, right now, to the tune of $5,000. For the purposes of this hypothetical, assume there is no practical problem with getting the $5,000. The jail has a special ATM that allows you to withdraw $5,000, or it takes credit cards, or whatever. But it will be your money at stake. If the person doesn't show, you are out the money. How many people are there in your life that you would do this for?

Does your answer change if, instead of $5,000, the bail is so high that the only way to get them out is to put up your house?

$5k - lots.

House - wife, mom, dad, one brother in law, my own brother. No to the other brother in law, sister in law, and everyone else.

Kinda want to know what sort of crime we're talking about here. 5K is a lot of money and while there are plenty of good friends I'd do this for, that completely changes if the charges are something icky, involving a child or something.

But I'd bail out my parents, sister, wife, kids and then my close friends (the ones who were in my weddings and I theirs, etc). And my boss, though he has $5,000 in cash hidden in different books around his house, so wouldn't worry about the money with him.

For my house, I'm putting 4, though 3 of them are minors and 1 of them is only 2. But if I were to bet on any of them doing a house worthy crime, it'd be the 2 year old. :oldunsure:

5K--Lots (relatives+friends)

House--3 (Wife, mom, dad)
same. Except instead of parents, I voted for my kids. Of course, as they're 3-11, it's unlikely.

We also don't own a house, so sure, I'll mortgage something we don't own.

For my house, I'm putting 4, though 3 of them are minors and 1 of them is only 2. But if I were to bet on any of them doing a house worthy crime, it'd be the 2 year old. :oldunsure:
I have a wife, a daughter, and two living parents. I put 1.

:mellow:
:lmao:

Idiot Boxer, right?
Depends on what we're talking about here. Did he kill Foos in a fit of itchiness?

Kinda want to know what sort of crime we're talking about here.
There's a whole lot of this involved in this question. I'm thinking most crimes that would require you to put your house up would make you seriously question how well you truly know this person, what they're capable of doing, and how things are functioning between their ears.

I also have a friend (some of you have met him) who has been through this and then some with family. There are lessons to be learned from that one. You never know people as well as you think you do.

I have a wife, a daughter, and two living parents. I put 1.

:mellow:
:lmao:

Idiot Boxer, right?
Depends on what we're talking about here. Did he kill Foos in a fit of itchiness?

Kinda want to know what sort of crime we're talking about here.
There's a whole lot of this involved in this question. I'm thinking most crimes that would require you to put your house up would make you seriously question how well you truly know this person, what they're capable of doing, and how things are functioning between their ears.

I also have a friend (some of you have met him) who has been through this and then some with family. There are lessons to be learned from that one. You never know people as well as you think you do.
Guy that went to my HS just got popped for being involved in an underage prostitution ring. Successful attorney, wife and kid. I don't know him other than recalling his name (he's a lucky sperm club member from Dallas) but were this my friend, I'd probably not bail him out. Kids, man.....yuck.

17seconds said:
how long are they going to be in jail? less than a couple days, no way
Lisa, a guy who's got lots of ivory is less likely to hurt Stampy than a guy whose ivory supplies are low.

Well as GM said the crime matters. 5k I can think of maybe 10 or so people that under most circumstances I would do that for. A house? I might for my wife, maybe my mother. But even then it depends on the crime. A house means bad things happened allegedly.

Please let me know, whatever you vote, if I am included in your number. I need to make a list of emergency contacts. TIA.

.5k maybe 10 or so people. But if they're gonna get out in 2-3 days. Forget it.

I let my roommate spend a long weekend in the clink. It was a holiday so he was in from Friday night to Tuesday morning

House? 5 depending on the crime

Users who are viewing this thread