What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (5 Viewers)

Did we already know Christian Pulisic's middle name was Mate?

Oi, mate.

I don't go by my middle name.

Whattsat mate?

No, Christian.

Yeah, guess so, but what's me faith got to do with it mate?

My name is Christian.

Good to meet you mate.

My name is Christian, please use it.

Will do mate.

etc, etc :fisticuffs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did we already know Christian Pulisic's middle name was Mate?

Oi, mate.

I don't go by my middle name.

Whattsat mate?

No, Christian.

Yeah, guess so, but what's me faith got to do with it mate?

My name is Christian.

Good to meet you mate.

My name is Christian, please use it.

Will do mate.

etc, etc :fisticuffs:
He’s “Yugoslav”...Maté is a pretty standard name

this looks like an odd lineup for Roma.  I assume they are resting some players?  I don't know enough about their team to know for sure.

That's what the announcers said, that they were resting players. I didn't hear why but they have a second leg Europa match on Thursday.
ahh, ok thanks.  I am not watching but that makes sense.  Where is Reynolds playing in the formation?  ESPN has him on the left in a 5 man midfield.

Dike vs Middlesbrough

Most touches with his feet I've seen, I think.

First, that looks like a good ole CONCACAF game. Second, he actually has a few really good touches and passes. He also has a few bad ones. But where they happen aren't in dangerous areas so I don't have much much of a problem with it. 

He has some ridiculous speed showed off on that run towards the end. He also shows how good he is at winning balls where he's not even 50/50 to start. 

But most importantly, you can see how involved he is and how much attention he's starting to draw. He had a chance at a couple more goals at least.

I'm starting to fall in love.

Dike vs Middlesbrough

First, that looks like a good ole CONCACAF game. Second, he actually has a few really good touches and passes. He also has a few bad ones. But where they happen aren't in dangerous areas so I don't have much much of a problem with it. 

He has some ridiculous speed showed off on that run towards the end. He also shows how good he is at winning balls where he's not even 50/50 to start. 

But most importantly, you can see how involved he is and how much attention he's starting to draw. He had a chance at a couple more goals at least.

Please don't post these all-touch videos anymore.  I bet you were that kid at school that went around telling people Santa didn't exist.  He's currently my favorite player.  He's also a human turnover machine.  For the purposes of this thread I think we should just clips of him  raining in goals and leveling defenders and NOT pull back the curtain.

That clip reminds me of big Melvin from the kids youth soccer days.  Melvin was from the Dominican.  Melvin stood at 6'2" feet tall in 7th grade, weighed about 190 pounds.  Melvin was the fastest kid on the field and it wasn't even close.  His team would just launch the ball down the field and Melvin would dominate.  He was unstoppable and fun to watch.  Years later Melvin turned out to be three years older than his reported age.

Dike vs Middlesbrough

Thanks! 

Ok...what he tries to do with his feet more often than not doesn't work out. Whether it's a directive or what he's seeing, he's playing a lot of one touch balls with his back to goal on through to runners. I like that a lot...but most of them didn't work. Tbh I'd like to see him hold the ball another touch or two and let the play develop better...or do better with those one-touches.

His dribbles did open up a couple opportunities for himself in the final third- love that, even if most didn't work out. His feet aren't quite there with the rest of his body.

What I really love from this one- when the ball is on the flanks around midfield, he finds space, shows hard back and wins inlet balls to the middle of the attacking third, creating instant danger at the top of the box with possession. Imagine any of CP, Gio, Swag, Weah, Aronson or Sarge buzzing in support to get the second ball. Mouthwatering. That's an area...probably because bundie 6s are better and more tactical, but also because he doesn't have that skillset, that I don't see Sarge making those plays over and over the way Dike does. 

The battering ram of two defenders was my very favorite moment here. No concacafs gonna let him wrecking ball like that....right?

El Floppo said:
The battering ram of two defenders was my very favorite moment here. No concacafs gonna let him wrecking ball like that....right?
I can't make up my mind on this one.

On the one hand, most Concacaf refs are more happy to swallow a whistle than blow it. 

On the other hand, most Concacaf strikers tend to be on the elegant side of the game.  Dike is going to be very very unique when it comes to play patterns when compared to your average Latin America striker.

gianmarco said:
Dike vs Middlesbrough

He's obviously very raw still and his first touch leaves a lot to be desired, but he clearly has the recognition of what he should be doing on the pitch.  Everything he tried looked to be the right thing, it just didn't come off as much as it should've.  I hope he can improve that first touch and the passing touch because if he does he'll be an incredible striker.

I also love how determined he is.  He's GOING to get the ball, you can see his desire for that.  

I think the Dike Sargent comparisons are going to be very interesting.

I think there is a good chance the US looks much better on the field with Sargent, but that they may get better results overall with Dike.

I think there is a good chance the US looks much better on the field with Sargent, but that they may get better results overall with Dike.
Or they could go with Zardoz and get the best of both worlds plus an occasional goal off of the back of his headOr they could go with Zardoz and get the best of both worlds plus an occasional goal off of the back of his head

I say screw it and start both of them.  The USMNT's own McFilthy and McNasty.

Or they could go with Zardoz and get the best of both worlds plus an occasional goal off of the back of his head
I like Zardes more than most but he does not have Sargent's set of skills.   He is a more fluid and polished Dike IMO.

Dike possesses significantly more strength and power though than Zardes so if he can clean up some of his technical skills, he should end up significantly better than Zardes.  It is a big if though.

Is "better" more possession?  I think the more a game goes on the possession scale (either we're dominant or being dominated), the more you'll want Dike while a 50-50 match (especially if Dest and CP are on the same side) favors Sargent for his touch and ability to start the press.  

I am really tired of the USWNT suit against US Soccer.  And it never seems to end.

In the beginning, before I was educated, I was completely on the players side.  Then once the actual payments came out, I felt significantly less sure about who was right.

Now that US Soccer appears to finally have extricated themselves from the deal which saw them pay the USWNT club salaries, they have offered the women the identical pay to the men (which ironically will see the women actually receive less than they use to from US Soccer).

The women have rejected the offer and intend to appeal the court's decision that they deserve the same amount of money from FIFA that the men get but US Soccer has absolutely no control over how FIFA gives the prize money.  US Soccer can't be held responsible that the men will make significantly more reward money from FIFA by just playing in the group stage than the women can get for winning it.

That is a fight they need to take up with FIFA imo.

===========================

Here is US Soccer's latest statement:

"U.S. Soccer is 100% committed to equal pay. We have offered the USWNT the identical compensation provided to our men's players for all matches controlled by U.S. Soccer.

"Unfortunately, the USWNT has not accepted our offer or our long-standing invitation to meet to try to find a resolution unless U.S. Soccer first agrees to make up the difference between the Men's and Women's World Cup prize money, which is determined, controlled and paid for by FIFA.

"Our request to meet still stands, and we hope the USWNT will accept our invitation very soon. We look forward to working together to chart a positive path to grow the game both here at home and around the world."

He's obviously very raw still and his first touch leaves a lot to be desired, but he clearly has the recognition of what he should be doing on the pitch.  Everything he tried looked to be the right thing, it just didn't come off as much as it should've.  I hope he can improve that first touch and the passing touch because if he does he'll be an incredible striker.

I also love how determined he is.  He's GOING to get the ball, you can see his desire for that.  
Just getting to the first touch makes me optimistic.

Re Dike vs Sarge, to me ultimately it's about which guy can get the other better players involved and firing up front. 

Sarge has the edge defensively and helping create team shape on both sides of the ball. He's also doing it against tbetter competition. But Dikes battering ram style and ability to win balls up front has its advantages too. Still advantage Sarge for me, but If Dike goes up a class league wise and is still knocking in goals the way he is now...I'll take it.

Can it be just a couple of months ago I thought talk like this was insane?

======

Doug Roberson

@DougRobersonAJC

Garber says Dike is a $20 million player

Dike > Sargent and it's not particularly close for me.

If we see Sargent make a difference in international competition I can definitely change my mind.

Barnsley is up to a 93% chance to make the playoffs and a 24% chance to get promoted.

If Dike were to actually push them into the EPL he'd be an all-time hero.  What a great story.

I like Zardes more than most but he does not have Sargent's set of skills.   He is a more fluid and polished Dike IMO.

Dike possesses significantly more strength and power though than Zardes so if he can clean up some of his technical skills, he should end up significantly better than Zardes.  It is a big if though.
Zardes seems to work hard on defense when asked to do it, and he's pretty good at it too.  Not sure about Dike as he's often the tip of the spear.

Such quick feet and so tenacious.  Not the smoothest or silkiest on the ball, but is a great fit for the modern gigenpress tactics. 
Wish we got to see him against better comp though.  RBL is a mid-table EPL team playing against MLS teams every week.

FWIW, Whoscored is not overly impressed with him.

Unlike Luca dlT, btw.  Who's actually in a better league and considerably higher rated.  Not sure what his contract looks like, but I'll be surprised if he isn't on the move up the ladder soonish.

Wish we got to see him against better comp though.  RBL is a mid-table EPL team playing against MLS teams every week..
Just to make sure we are all on the same page here:  Adams plays for RBL in Germany, and Aaronson plays for RBS in Austria.

Jesse Marsch indicated that the top top teams in Austria are MLS equivalents, and that the majority of the Austrian Bundesliga is at a lower level.   If RBS can get into the group stages of Champions League next year that will be an excellent chance to see Aaronson's level.

But that being said, this is hopefully not the last stop for Aaronson.  RBS has a history of selling their better players to bigger leagues so I am hopeful that by 2024, Aaronson will have moved onto to a mid tier team in a top 5 league.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The one item I have seen in these highlight videos is the same issue I noticed in MLS when I watched him play.  When he is on the ball, he does well, but he goes long periods of time with out being involved.

I can't put my finger on why he does not get significantly more touches a game.  It is clearly not his energy level or work rate, which are both good.   

This is one of those strange "skills", whether innate or learned, that some players possess to always be around the ball.

I think this may relate to my earlier content about touches.  Whoscored's non scoring formula's are heavily influenced on touches.
It's also dealing in absolutes.  If you make an unbelievable pass that would set up a certain goal, but the CB makes an incredible play to get a toe on it, while it's an incredibly positive play and the coach and fans are gonna love it.... Whoscored is gonna knock you for a misplaced pass.

Users who are viewing this thread