• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Not sure if there was a sudden turnover or something else going on since I only saw the highlight, but Steffan looks miles out of position on the Chelsea goal.  Like "WTF was he thinking" bad.

Men in Blazers @MenInBlazers

"Goalkeeper in a strange position." We don't mention our boys by name when they eff up. Thems the rules

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Not sure if there was a sudden turnover or something else going on since I only saw the highlight, but Steffan looks miles out of position on the Chelsea goal.  Like "WTF was he thinking" bad.

Not a sudden turnover, and Zach looks bad, but no one challenged Werner and Ziyech is in alone on goal no matter where Steffen is.  

28 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Not a sudden turnover, and Zach looks bad, but no one challenged Werner and Ziyech is in alone on goal no matter where Steffen is.  

Yeah, but Werner put that ball well behind Ziyech, which meant he really couldn't do much but just direct it towards the goal.  Had the GK stayed in position he'd have had a real chance of saving that.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, encaitar said:

FYI, Pulisic had a goal late after dribbling around 2 defenders, but was a fraction offsides when receiving the ball.  :(

it was a beautiful goal too.  I loved that he yet again struck it hard instead of trying to pass it in. He is really striking the ball with confidence.

https://twitter.com/USMNTTAKES/status/1383491669186650115?s=20

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Looks like the dominoes are starting to line up to move Marsch to the Bundesliga

===============

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Hansi Flick has decided to leave Bayern Münich! He won’t be the manager next season. Flick has just announced his official decision, also communicated to board and players. Nagelsmann will be the main target as new Bayern manager - not easy negotiation with RB Leipzig.

9 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Here are the Richards highlights from yesterday.  Busy day for him and looks like another strong performance

https://twitter.com/CompsBayern/status/1383424811049766912?s=20

Exciting times, part 138.

Someone I used to know once said that John Doyle "got in the way a lot".  It's definitely a skill, and Richards seems to have it.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
9 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Here are the Richards highlights from yesterday.  Busy day for him and looks like another strong performance

https://twitter.com/CompsBayern/status/1383424811049766912?s=20

So, so good. Against a real quality opponent. I don't see any of our other CBs having that skill level, Brooks included. Only thing lacking is experience, and that will come. 

11 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Exciting times, part 138.

Someone I used to know once said that John Doyle "got in the way a lot".  It's definitely a skill, and Richards seems to have it.

I used to play against him and do camps with him and he played college ball for my club coach. A soccer dummy and lacking a lot of foot skills. But the guy was an insane athlete- never saw anybody jump higher and win balls like him. A camp we did together, I rose up for a header on a corner in a counselor vs kids game- couldn't get there. I turn and see where the balls going...john hits a perfect bike, with his foot higher than where I got with my head.

I remember watching him in Italy 90 win header after header against all the world's best...very cool. He was best buds and I think teammates with Dom Kinnear through youth and college ball.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Gio is playing as well as he has all season today.  He just had a beautiful dribbling sequence that drew a yellow.

How's Sarge?

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Reynolds with another start for Roma today!

went 75 in the loss.

they're right in the thick of Europe chase too... so sad about the loss, but cool they have confidence in him to start him in these type of games.

Swag started for Juve in their loss too.

no idea how either guy did.

29 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

went 75 in the loss.

they're right in the thick of Europe chase too... so sad about the loss, but cool they have confidence in him to start him in these type of games.

Swag started for Juve in their loss too.

no idea how either guy did.

I heard that Reynolds did not have a convincing enough performance to make one thinks he can win that job this early.

• Thinking 1

This will be a big game for Steffen.  He can't afford any brain farts if he wants to stay at City next year

=====

Pep Guardiola confirmed that Zack Steffen will start the League Cup final against Tottenham. "Yeah, he is going to play the League Cup final. For sure. He made a good save and with the ball he was brilliant. Unfortunately, we could not be more clear in the final third."

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thinking 1
On 4/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

This has nothing to do with  professional soccer but I’m so excited right now and you nerds are the only ones that’ll appreciate my story.

I play on an over 45 year old soccer team and I’m the manager of the team.  Our first game is tomorrow and we are desperate for players.  Right now I have 10 yeses and a maybe.  It is looking ugly.

But then like 30 minutes ago I get an email from some random guy from the free agent list about joining the team.  So I look him up and he’s exactly 45 and describes himself as “intermediate” so I’m psyched, that’s way better than what’s usually on the free agent list.  And we chat back and forth about the team and the game and whatever.  And then he sends me this message:

I don't speak english very well...

I am in a Diplomatic Mission for 2 years...

I am from Brazil. I am Brazilian Army Officcer

I am so happy right now I need a hug.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:22 AM, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Update:  game cancelled due to wet fields.  Will update next Sunday on our Brazilian ringer and whether he goes by one name.

Update:  First game with the Brazilian was today. Our team plays in Division 2 but they merged all the divisions together this season because fewer teams are playing.  So we had to play against this incredible Division 1 team.  Last season they beat us 12-0 and 6-0.  We felt great after the 6-0 game, like we had really accomplished something.

Anyway, we lost today 7-0.  The Brazilian guy played center back and he was good but not like game-altering good.  And then he tweaked a hamstring or something and took himself out about 10 minutes into the second half.  His teenage  son watched the whole game from behind the fence.  He’s a very solid addition to the team, we needed a bigger guy at that position, I had been playing there and I suck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Congratulations to #USMNT forward Jordan Siebatcheu - the first American player to win a European league title in 2021/2022. The DC-born Siebatcheu (on loan from Rennes) played 66 minutes for Young Boys today as the clinched the Swiss title with a 3-0 win over Lugano.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

It will be just our luck that this Euro Super League takes off and FIFA bans the players from international competition and we lose Pulisic, Steffen, Dest and McKennie :(

Some bad things will happen if this takes place.....