Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

Here's a fun one -- no cheating...

Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan are part of a 3-way tie for 3rd place on the all-time international goals scored by CONCACAF players list (57).

There are six total players with at least 50 goals in international play.

Who are the other four?  And which one had the highest goals/game?

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan are part of a 3-way tie for 3rd place on the all-time international goals scored by CONCACAF players list (57).

Oh I like this one.

Ok I think Carlos Ruiz may have had a bunch for Guat.  It seemed like he was always scoring against us.

I think I remember Chiciarito breaking 50 last year.

Way back I remember Stern John when he was with the Crew was scoring bucketfulls internationally.

I can't think of who the other one might be....Can't be from Canada.  Seems like a Costa Rican is missing.......Wanchope maybe?

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Oh I like this one.

Ok I think Carlos Ruiz may have had a bunch for Guat.  It seemed like he was always scoring against us. Correct.  2nd with 68.

I think I remember Chiciarito breaking 50 last year.  Correct.  6th with 52 (active).

Way back I remember Stern John when he was with the Crew was scoring bucketfulls internationally. Correct.  First, with 70.  And the guy I went looking for info on.  He was amazing in early MLS and went on to play over 300 games in the EPL and Championship (89 goals).  Also holds the goals/game lead for this group, at .61.

I can't think of who the other one might be....Can't be from Canada.  Seems like a Costa Rican is missing.......Wanchope maybe?  Incorrect (45).

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Cuauhtemoc, Borghetti, Ruiz and... ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Dike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

that is odd. 

Turns out it's a bit easier to score when Beckham is pinging balls off your forehead in the six yard box than it is when your team plays all its games on a wet and bumpy pitch and the teams you're up against are a lot better than you.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Guessing it was someone on Honduras but the names of their big goalscorers are escaping me

oh... good one. I can visualize the guy. ugh... name....???

My hint was kind of mean.  The last guy only played 18 games in MLS at the end of his career for the LA Galaxy, and scored three times.

• Stern John - 70
  • Carlos (el Pescadito) Ruiz - 68
  • Carlos Pavon, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan - 57
  • Chicarito - 52
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Ah....now this is really going to bug me.  Honduras made sense to me as a fringey-good Central American team that would have racked up goals in early layup qualifiers

Yup. This dude scored a grip of goals against not so good sides in the 2000s and 2010s.

Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

My hint was kind of mean.  The last guy only played 18 games in MLS at the end of his career for the LA Galaxy, and scored three times.

• Stern John - 70
  • Carlos (el Pescadito) Ruiz - 68
  • Carlos Pavon, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan - 57
  • Chicarito - 52

Yeah, Pavón is the guy here.  

• Like 1

Nice Konrad goal with Barcelona B today.

Dest only got the first half today, but I thought (as did many) it was one of his better performances. His movement in the attack created the space on Greizmann's first goal and the team was lacking when he left.

• Like 1

I was surprised the Mexicans hadn't scored more.

Blanco had 120 caps, but Hernandez and Hermosillo probably suffered some from better competition than the other CONCACAF teams produced (only 85 and 90 caps, respectively).

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

16 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Nice Konrad goal with Barcelona B today.

Dest only got the first half today, but I thought (as did many) it was one of his better performances. His movement in the attack created the space on Greizmann's first goal and the team was lacking when he left.

I asked about Dest earlier. any explanation of him subbing out? sergi a better defender with the lead in place at the half?

29 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I was surprised the Mexicans hadn't scored more.

Blanco had 120 caps, but Hernandez and Hermosillo probably suffered some from better competition than the other CONCACAF teams produced (only 85 and 90 caps, respectively).

Borghetti and Blanco overlapped a bunch, so they split their goals like Donovan and Dempsey. Ruíz and Pavón were kinda the only thing each country had going. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I asked about Dest earlier. any explanation of him subbing out? sergi a better defender with the lead in place at the half?

Nothing I've seen. Sergi has about 300 caps with Barcelona and it was a tactical/conservative change. I made a mental note how much ground Dest was covering in the first half, so it very possible fitness was a concern.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Jonathan David is probably on this list in a decade :coffee:

• Like 1

Just now, Desert_Power said:

feel like him and Davies can singlehandedly (doublehandedly?) will Canada into some tournaments for the next decade. 

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

feel like him and Davies can singlehandedly (doublehandedly?) will Canada into some tournaments for the next decade. 

Yeah, call me when they come close to knocking out a Guatemala or Costa Rica for a WC spot.

5 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

It's tough playing for a team that doesn't get as many games and goes against better competition most of the time.  But he'll probably play for 15 years, so maybe?

2 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

It's tough playing for a team that doesn't get as many games and goes against better competition most of the time.  But he'll probably play for 15 years, so maybe?

Yeah, unless the rest of the team improves. I saw him score a hat trick against Cuba here in Charlotte during the last Gold Cup and currently is 11 goals/12 games. So he will need to stay healthy and in-form enough to get in the Gold Cup squad.

1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

Yeah, unless the rest of the team improves. I saw him score a hat trick against Cuba here in Charlotte during the last Gold Cup and currently is 11 goals/12 games. So he will need to stay healthy and in-form enough to get in the Gold Cup squad.

totally. if he's not in form one of the hansen brothers will keep him off the squad, eh?

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

BREAKING: Per Bild, Julian Nagelsmann & Bayern have agreed that he will become coach of Germany‘s Rekordmeister. Leipzig & Bayern still to agree on terms since Nagelsmann‘s contract runs through 2023. Widely reported that FCB may have to pay up to 30 mill Euro

========

Rae goes on later to say Marsch is the top candidate for tye RBL opening.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 2:44 PM, NewlyRetired said:

I got my vaccine shot today at Gillette stadium.  While waiting, I noticed there was an academy scrimmage being played on the field so I walked out on the balcony to watch with a couple of other guys.  I guessed the players were about 13-14 year olds.

One of the guys had no knowledge of soccer and one followed the sport.

The guy with no knowledge said to me "excuse me, I don't know a lot about this sport but this looks totally different to me than watching my kids play"

The other guy and myself both assured him this was not typical 13-14 year old's playing.  What we watched was REALLY impressive.  The patterns of play, the passing interchange, the building from the back, the off the ball movement, it was all very professional (I am not sure a better way to say it) looking.

And this is from a part of the country that does not typically produce good players, so if this type of thing is happening all over the country in the academies, I can see why people are so excited about the future.

Tip of the iceberg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The RBL situation is interesting.  They seem to be closing the gap between them and Bayern but still have a ways to go.

But next year they are getting basically a free 30m injection into the team from the fee for their coach moving to Bayern and in this depressed market, that can be used for 2 core players in their squad.  Not superstars of course but 2 very good players that can likely improve them.

Also, Dortmund are standing on a bit of a knife edge right now.  Their top management has said that if they don't qualify for Champions League that they may be forced to sell some assets.  The top 3 of which in order are Haaland, Sancho and Reyna.  If they end up selling 2 of those 3, they are going to likely be weaker next season.