• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

• Ned

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of internationa

I didn't get to see a lot of the match because I had a fussy infant and a toddler to get to bed.  I saw the last 30 minutes or so.  I guess that was a blessing.  Even in the last 30 minutes, I found m

not a soccer fan here, how does this work?  Argentina gets ball for the first 45 minutes then the US gets it in the 2nd half?

2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

So we have a 22 year old American starting a Champions League semifinal at the Bernabeu.  I've got a bad feeling about the game in terms of the result, but that's still pretty cool.

That will be a big problem as he will be the only one there.

5 minutes ago, encaitar said:

FYI.... according to twitter there's a big storm in Madrid.  Likely gonna be a soggy, ugly game by all means.

good, more practice for future "good" conditions away in Concacaf for Pulisic :)

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
24 minutes ago, encaitar said:

You got your wish.  Pulisic starting up front with Mount and Werner.

I was worried that he might not start after Saturday's game.  Not that he was bad exactly, but he wasn't as involved as I would have liked.

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

Players fouled 6+ times in a UCL semifinal match, last 10 years:

Lionel Messi, Mesut Özil, Sergio Ramos, Eden Hazard, Neymar, Christian Pulisic

I'm pretty sure I'd rest him Saturday.  Of course that assume Werner can actually hit the back of the net.  

3 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

I'm pretty sure I'd rest him Saturday.  Of course that assume Werner can actually hit the back of the net.  

Agree.

But for me thinking...Mount seems to play every second of every game. Similar enough build and game to CP- how does he do it?

Just now, El Floppo said:

Agree.

But for me thinking...Mount seems to play every second of every game. Similar enough build and game to CP- how does he do it?

He doesn't get hacked 10+ times a game.  His job is also different on offense as it's more centered on linking up with the outside backs and allowing them to get forward.  I also think it is fair to say that CP is fairly unique and historic in world football these days in his style of play.   He won't survive getting hacked once every 10 minutes.  

56 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

They have Fulham on Saturday; Real Madrid on Wednesday 5/5; Man City on 5/8; Arsenal 5/12; FA Cup final against LCFC 5/15.  Packed schedule and every game is huge for Chelsea from here on out.  Rotation will be very important.  Tuchel mentioned post-game he thought the team was tired in the second half today and mentioned the tough game against West Ham as a reason.

Its awesome that UEFA is adding 10 games to the Champions League next year but still probably keeping most of the money. 

50 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

He won't survive getting hacked once every 10 minutes.  

I know people don't like the Pulisic/Hazard comparisons but they are really apt in this case.   Hazard is only 30 (which these days is not old) and he looks to be a shell of what he was just a few years ago.  I think certain players can only handle so much.

And this is yet another incredible attribute of Messi whose body has with stood all the punishment. 

21 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Go Philly!  Tonight we are all behind the Union!

not me, per say.  I want the team with the best chance to win the CCL to win this series.

It feels like that is Atlanta, due to Martinez being back and the unexpected brilliance of Atlanta's new player Sosa.  But if the Union prevail, that works fine too.   One thing for sure is that at least one MLS team will be in the semi finals :)

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

not me, per say.  I want the team with the best chance to win the CCL to win this series.

It feels like that is Atlanta, due to Martinez being back and the unexpected brilliance of Atlanta's new player Sosa.  But if the Union prevail, that works fine too.   One thing for sure is that at least one MLS team will be in the semi finals :)

That's alright Benedict, we wouldn't understand the definition of traitor without having Atlanta fans.  

Personally I hope it's as gut wrenching as the collapse against the Patriots.

• Laughing 1
1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

That's alright Benedict, we wouldn't understand the definition of traitor without having Atlanta fans.  

If I had to root against every team in the world that did not release US players for the Olympics I would be pretty miserable :)

20 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

If I had to root against every team in the world that did not release US players for the Olympics I would be pretty miserable :)

I understand the Redcoats in England or any of the Euro teams not being concerned about team USA. It’s quite another for a US club to piss on the flag and flip the country the bird. 

3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

My god you are butt hurt - :lmao: 

So Derek Rae is saying Marsch to RBL is done over the Wolfsburg manager who RB apparently have an option on.  Apparently Tottenham were also interested in Marsch (though its tough to know if that was just postering from Marsch's agent).    

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

So Derek Rae is saying Marsch to RBL is done over the Wolfsburg manager who RB apparently have an option on.  Apparently Tottenham were also interested in Marsch (though its tough to know if that was just postering from Marsch's agent).    

I hope Marsch leaving doesn’t negatively impact Aaronson

18 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

He has played well so I don't think it would, and who knows, maybe in a best case scenario it opens a door to  RBL for Aaronson.

52 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

So, Doyle sort of tongue and cheek tweeted that RBS should consider Curtin, whelp Twellman responds that it's apparently not farfetched as he thinks from what he's heard in the past day.

:(

“I don’t think it’s likely that he’s (Morris) going to play for us this year,” Lagerwey said during his appearance on KJR’s Sounders Weekly. “It’s theoretically possible, but this knee injury was a little more serious than the first one. We gotta be patient.

• Sad 3

Damn this is such a shame. 

I had hoped that this could be a home for the US for big games once it was made soccer ready.  I think the support here would have been great since it does not have a ton of hispanics who often root for their home country.  But that is all out the window now.

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1387459114624856064?s=20

• Sad 1

And the game of chicken starts

======

“We’re trying to reach an agreement,” Leitão said. “If they reach an agreement that we can get something that helps it make sense for us to keep Daryl there for another month, that’ll be fine. If they do not reach an agreement, because Barnsley don’t believe that he’s worth it, then no problem. We’re gonna call the player back and he’s gonna help us here in Orlando.”

43 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

And the game of chicken starts

======

“We’re trying to reach an agreement,” Leitão said. “If they reach an agreement that we can get something that helps it make sense for us to keep Daryl there for another month, that’ll be fine. If they do not reach an agreement, because Barnsley don’t believe that he’s worth it, then no problem. We’re gonna call the player back and he’s gonna help us here in Orlando.”

I have so many thoughts on this I can't organize them.

* Orlando gave Dike to Barnsley for free.  No fee or salary was paid, according to the article I read, by Barnsley

* I want Dike to stay through the playoffs for multiple reasons but removing that bias, this is an interesting business case.

* How do you come up with a price for what will basically be a one month rental for a chance to get into the richest league in the world?

*Barnsley is clearly going to counter with "who cares if it is free, if he plays well in the playoffs, his already inflated profile and value will go up even more and you can make it back in bucketfuls when you sell him"

*Orlando will likely counter that with the knowledge that they have already locked in enough value growth for Dike to sell him this summer at a good price and that if he plays bad in the playoffs he may hurt his value.

*I had originally assumed the May 3rd recall date was put in place in case Dike was not playing much.  But it has taken on a completely different role.  I have no idea if Orlando planned for this occurrence or they are just using the circumstances to their benefit.

Looks like the man child is a dual nat.

=========

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Cade Cowell asked about being eligible for both the US national team and Mexico: "It's whoever wants me more and how I fit into their system best I guess. I haven’t really gotten looks from Mexico but the United States has been great to me."

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

* Orlando gave Dike to Barnsley for free.  No fee or salary was paid, according to the article I read, by Barnsley

* I want Dike to stay through the playoffs for multiple reasons but removing that bias, this is an interesting business case.

* How do you come up with a price for what will basically be a one month rental for a chance to get into the richest league in the world?

*Barnsley is clearly going to counter with "who cares if it is free, if he plays well in the playoffs, his already inflated profile and value will go up even more and you can make it back in bucketfuls when you sell him"

*Orlando will likely counter that with the knowledge that they have already locked in enough value growth for Dike to sell him this summer at a good price and that if he plays bad in the playoffs he may hurt his value.

*I had originally assumed the May 3rd recall date was put in place in case Dike was not playing much.  But it has taken on a completely different role.  I have no idea if Orlando planned for this occurrence or they are just using the circumstances to their benefit.

Another bad thing happening to him could hurt his value also, but I will not mention it.  

I had hoped that this could be a home for the US for big games once it was made soccer ready.  I think the support here would have been great since it does not have a ton of hispanics who often root for their home country.  But that is all out the window now.

Living in Charlotte this is a major bummer.  I really hope Tepper builds a soccer only stadium at some point. 

1 minute ago, berndog said:

Living in Charlotte this is a major bummer.  I really hope Tepper builds a soccer only stadium at some point. 

This is probably going to be one of those seemingly ### backwards things.

The more popular the team is in Charlotte, the less likely they ever get their own stadium, similar to Atlanta and Seattle.

Looks like the man child is a dual nat.

=========

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Cade Cowell asked about being eligible for both the US national team and Mexico: "It's whoever wants me more and how I fit into their system best I guess. I haven’t really gotten looks from Mexico but the United States has been great to me."

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

When I spoke to him earlier in the year, he said he doesn't yet have a Mexican passport. His connection to Mexico is a little more distant that people realize. He has 1 Mexican-born grandparent and doesn't speak Spanish.

Edited by NewlyRetired
58 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

And if he blows his ACL?

Leave the transfer fee off the table and do it all with incentives and contingencies:

• Plays in playoff games: $500k
  • Reach EPL:  $2.5MM
  • Blows knee:  $5.0MM

Or whatever.

• Like 1
On 4/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, NewlyRetired said:

And this is yet another incredible attribute of Messi whose body has with stood all the punishmen

That's what I was thinking... if there's a ever a player that the opposition tried hacking more than Messi, I'd like to see it.  I mean, what are you gonna do, just let that guy dribble around half your team and score with a perfectly balanced left footed shot? No, you're gonna put him on his ### until the egg tells you stop, and then you get your teammate to do it after you stop. 

Edited by The Z Machine
7 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Not sure why you thought this...300,000+ hispanics in the metro area, 150,000 just in the Charlotte county.  If the US played Mexico you'd be lucky to hear a single word of English in that stadium.

Regardless...turf sucks.

7 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Not sure why you thought this...300,000+ hispanics in the metro area, 150,000 just in the Charlotte county.  If the US played Mexico you'd be lucky to hear a single word of English in that stadium.

Regardless...turf sucks.

Oh my bad.  I looked up the demographics online on the area and it showed a very low % of hispanics in the area (in comparison to most US cities).  The data must have been incorrect.