Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Otasowie subbed out in the 71st with Wolves even with West Brom 1-1. It was an up and down game for him. He did really well on the Wolves goal. He's smooth w/ a nice touch. Still rusty (positionally & in situational awareness) from lack of minutes. He needs a loan, like yesterday

Watched the game - announcers made some random comment about Nuno publicly calling out his professionalism. Any idea what that was about?

34 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I'm g saw Pomy on that link a few days ago... Has anybody watched him? He's more of an Emmy, de la torre attacking MF...right? Or can he be a guy to back up Adams at the 6?

I have not seen him play since he came back from injury but before his injury he was a pure two way midfielder, kind of like Weston.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I have not seen him play since he came back from injury but before his injury he was a pure two way midfielder, kind of like Weston.

Thanks. I remember the offensive qualities but was hoping for a Yuell upgrade with some defensive ones.

Posted (edited)

Well this is ####### bizarre....

Tim Weah went on instagram and said he has only one cousin who plays pro soccer and that is Kyle Duncan from the Red Bulls and that he is not related to Patrick Weah even though Patrick has said numerous times that he and Tim are cousins.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thinking 1

36 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think he and LdlT are probably fighting for one spot.  Assuming Acosta is the b/u #6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I think he and LdlT are probably fighting for one spot.  Assuming Acosta is the b/u #6.

I am almost hoping LdLT is not picked for the Nations League even though I think he belongs there. 

I would love to see him as a 90 minute player in the Gold Cup running the show in the middle.

36 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Well this is ####### bizarre....

Tim Weah went on instagram and said he has only one cousin who plays pro soccer and that is Kyle Duncan from the Red Bulls and that he is not related to Patrick Weah even though Patrick has said numerous times that he and Tim are cousins.

Lol, Ali Dia all over again.

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

So how do we feel about Mourinho as Reynolds new coach at Roma?  Is he likely to give any time to an inexperienced player?

I don't think Mou likes inexperienced players.  He's not in it for talent development.  He's in it to win NOW.

• Like 1

:popcorn:

===========

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

The #USMNT will host Costa Rica for a friendly on June 9 at Rio Tinto Stadium.

The team's May/June schedule:

May 30 - at Switzerland

June 3 - vs. Honduras - Nation's League semifinal in Denver

June 6 - Nation's League final/3rd place game in Denver

June 9 - vs. Costa Rica in Utah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like we could guess 19 out of the 23 for Nations League but guessing the Gold Cup roster is going to be very difficult.

The early season in MLS has seen most of the Olympic team players off to poor starts while many of the guys Kreis did not pick have popped.

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The early season in MLS has seen most of the Olympic team players off to poor starts while many of the guys Kreis did not pick have popped.

Shocker

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I feel like we could guess 19 out of the 23 for Nations League but guessing the Gold Cup roster is going to be very difficult.

Honestly, its been so long since we've had a competitive meaningful game for the nats, I'm totally jacked but still don't understand what Nations League is and why it exists when we already have the Gold Cup, closely followed by WCQ games in the Fall.

I would love a link to an article or a TLDR of the significance or meaning of Nations League as compared to the Gold Cup, and what the stakes are for each.  The Gold Cup used to be a big deal, but it seems for reasons unknown to me, it is now second fiddle to the Nations League. 

tia

8 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Honestly, its been so long since we've had a competitive meaningful game for the nats, I'm totally jacked but still don't understand what Nations League is and why it exists when we already have the Gold Cup, closely followed by WCQ games in the Fall.

I would love a link to an article or a TLDR of the significance or meaning of Nations League as compared to the Gold Cup, and what the stakes are for each.  The Gold Cup used to be a big deal, but it seems for reasons unknown to me, it is now second fiddle to the Nations League. 

tia

What is the CONCACAF Nations League?
It is a competition between the 41 member nations of CONCACAF, the regional governing body of North America, Central America and the Caribbean. It was created to mirror the idea of the UEFA Nations League, aiming to provide more meaningful, competitive fixtures when international friendlies would usually be played.

It was also noted that some minor nations were playing fewer than 10 games in a four-year period, and this gives them the chance of regular competitive football.

So this means there are no more international friendlies?
CONCACAF nations will still play some international friendlies. Major countries in League A had two spare dates in September to November 2019, and will have the March international dates.

Does every CONCACAF nation take part?
Yes. There was an initial qualifying phase, from September 2018 to March 2019, between the 34 lowest-ranked nations in CONCACAF. Each team played four matches, creating an overall ranking from 1 to 34.

The top six teams qualified for CONCACAF Nations League A, 7-22 for League B, and 23-34 for League C.

Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago and United States progressed direct to the final group stage in League A as participants of the 2018 World Cup qualifying Hexagonal.

Guatemala did not take part in qualifying as it was suspended by FIFA at the time of the draw, meaning it had to be drawn into League C despite being a stronger-ranked nation.

What is the format?
The 40 nations that take part in the CONCACAF Nations League proper are split into three "Leagues." The strongest nations are in League A, and the weakest in League C.

League A: 12 teams, into four groups of three

League B: 16 teams, into four groups of four

League 😄 13 teams, one group of four and three of three

Teams within each group will play each other home and away.

What were the CONCACAF Nations League groups?
LEAGUE A

Group A: USA, Canada, Cuba
Group B: Mexico, Panama, Bermuda
Group 😄 Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago, Martinique
Group 😧 Costa Rica, Haiti, Curacao

LEAGUE B

Group A: French Guiana, St. Kitts & Nevis, Belize, Grenada
Group B: El Salvador, Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, Montserrat
Group 😄 Jamaica, Guyana, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba
Group 😧 Nicaragua, Suriname, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica

LEAGUE C

Group A: Barbados, Cayman Islands, Saint Martin, U.S. Virgin Islands
Group B: Bonaire, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands
Group 😄 Guatemala, Puerto Rico, Anguilla
Group 😧 Guadeloupe, Turks & Caicos Islands, Sint Maarten

Will there actually be CONCACAF Nations League champions?
Yes. The four group winners from League A will playoff in knockout format (semifinals, third-place match and final). This was due to be in June 2020 until the coronavirus stopped football with United States hosting. The finals will now be held in June 2021.

Who has qualified for the finals?
The United States will play Honduras and it's Mexico vs. Costa Rica in the semifinals, both played in the altitude of Denver's Empower Field at Mile High on June 3, 2021.

The final and third place matches will take place three days later at the same stadium.

Is there promotion and relegation?
Yes, like in the UEFA Nations League the teams which finish bottom of the groups in Leagues A and B will be relegated. The teams that win their groups in Leagues B and C will be promoted.

Does the CONCACAF Nations League affect the Gold Cup?
Yes, the 2019 CONCACAF Nations League final tournament is also qualifying for the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Automatic qualifying for the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup goes to:

League A: The top two teams from each group - Canada, Curacao, Costa Rica, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, United States
League B: The winner of each group - El Salvador, Grenada, Jamaica, Suriname

However, there will be a playoff path to decide the final four qualifiers.

This playoffs will feature:
League A: The four third-place nations - Bermuda, Cuba, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago
League B: The four second-place finishers - French Guiana, Guyana, Montserrat, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
League 😄 The four group winners - Bahamas, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Guatemala

These were due to be played in March and June 2020 until the coronavirus stopped soccer. There will now be a pre-qualifying tournament directly before the Gold Cup to decide the final four nations from the Nations League.

When is the next edition of the CONCACAF Nations League?
It is scheduled to begin in June 2022 and be played through to September, with the finals in March 2023.

8 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

tia

The Nations League in CONCACAF was formed to give the minnows more games since they usually are left out of the Gold Cup.

I think GGG is targeting the Nations League for the A team because the schedule better simulates what WCQing will look like. But that is just a guess.

Covid made this all a mess because Nations League and Gold Cup are not suppose to happen at the same time.  Nations League semi and finals were scheduled for last summer.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic on bench today

Tushy seems to not rate his defensive abilities (right or wrong)- typically pulls him with a lead. Not sure that 1-1 qualifies, especially when they were putting the screws to RM that first half.

Just now, El Floppo said:
34 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic on bench today

Tushy seems to not rate his defensive abilities (right or wrong)- typically pulls him with a lead. Not sure that 1-1 qualifies, especially when they were putting the screws to RM that first half.

I'm not sure about CP's defense as compared to Werner or Havertz, but Tuchel does like using Puli to close out games whether they are chasing a goal or defending one.  There's definitely going to be a role for him today, unless its a blowout one way or the other (highly unlikely).  I think this will be a much different game than the first. 

I think before Saturday, the starting front 3 would've been Pulisic, Werner, and Mount.  I think this is happening because Havertz had such a great game on Saturday, which is ####ty.  Pulisic has been their best attacker for the last month+ and now he's sitting because a guy played well while he got rested against one of the worst teams in the league.

I hope it doesn't backfire on Chelsea, because I want to see Pulisic in a UCL final, but it was clear last week that Christian was the guy giving Real fits in the first half.  

12 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I'm not sure about CP's defense as compared to Werner or Havertz, but Tuchel does like using Puli to close out games whether they are chasing a goal or defending one.  There's definitely going to be a role for him today, unless its a blowout one way or the other (highly unlikely).  I think this will be a much different game than the first. 

I agree with your assessment, but I'm still surprised.  I had agreed with the consensus that it was either going to be Pulisic/Werner/Mount or Pulisic/Havertz/Mount up front today.  Also, didn't Werner play the full game against Fulham?  That seems odd to me if the plan was to start him today as well.

2 minutes ago, encaitar said:

I hope it doesn't backfire on Chelsea, because I want to see Pulisic in a UCL final, but it was clear last week that Christian was the guy giving Real fits in the first half.  

Yeah, obviously Tuchel has a lot of leeway at this point because of his success thus far, but if they generate little in the attack today, fall behind, and then CP breathes life in late in an ultimate lost cause, I think he will rightly face some tough questions.

Posted (edited)

Happened to be reading the Wolves webpage, from today:

On Otasowie taking his chance

Hakeman said: “I think he had a really positive display and showed us enough to show he’s a really important player in the squad. He carries the ball so well, he’s so strong, and he must be really tricky to defend against because he’s so athletic. He put the work rate and got into some great positions. Naturally, to me, he looks like he maybe wants to be a bit more central than out there on the right, but either way he was a handful for them. He showed some nice touches, a little bit naïve at points, but given where we came from last week, it’s another positive display from him.”

Ricketts added: “I was pleased with him, he showed some nice touches, a bit sloppy sometimes in possession, but he plays the game at his tempo – what he doesn’t realise is his tempo can be whatever he wants it to be. Sometimes it’s a bit slow and too relaxed, but when you’ve got the length of his legs, his stride, his power, when he really wants to, he’ll take some stopping when he gets going.”

Thompson said: “He’s done himself no harm at all. He wanted the ball and he was strong running with the ball. Probably first-half he was a little bit better, but again involved in the goal. Second-half he struggled to get in it, I don’t know if he was a little tired, he’s not played a massive amount of games, but for what I saw of him, I’m sure Nuno will be pleased with what he saw.”

Edited by McBokonon

43 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Man, I would hate to play against a guy like that.  Would make me hugely frustrated. He plays like a terrier, always moving, scrapping, buzzing around.  Defenders can't take a break at all and have to be worried pressure is coming on their back all the time. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, encaitar said:

DECODED:  "I'm going to bring in a ####load of MLS players."

If I had to guess, the Nations League roster will be majority Euro players, say 17-18 out of the 23 (depending upon what Dike is considered) and Gold Cup will be more of a 50-50 mix.

Here is my rough guess at what GGG will call in for Nations League.

I believe he will call in 26 total players, with the thought that a bunch will be released before the 4th game (the friendly with Costa Rica)

GK: Steffen, Turner, "YourGuessIsAsgoodAsMine"

Defenders: Brooks, Dest, Robinson, Cannon, Reynolds, Long, Richards, Miazga

Midfielders: Adams, Weston, Aaronson, Musah, Lletget, Luca, Acosta, X

FW: Pulisic, Gio, Sargent, Dike, Weah, Gioachhini, X

There are a ton of possibilities for the X's, which may be decided based on who is healthy come the end of the month.

17 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I believe he will call in 26 total players, with the thought that a bunch will be released before the 4th game (the friendly with Costa Rica)

There are a ton of possibilities for the X's, which may be decided based on who is healthy come the end of the month.

You forgot Lovitz

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

No Zardes? Or Sieb?

Both would be considerations for the X.  If it was me I would take Sieb over Gioachinni but I was posting what I thought GGG would do.

Edited by NewlyRetired

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

It’s amazing how much better we look at forward compared to a year ago. 

Obviously translated but you get the point

=====================

Handyman with license to offend, Weston McKennie arrived in skepticism but conquered the fans of Juventus and Pirlo, to become a staple for the Juventus coach. Midfielder, midfielder, attacking midfielder and also winger on both flanks, the American did not spare himself and adapted to every tactical change and always responded present, convincing the company also to anticipate his redemption from Schalke 04 to last March with a contract signed until 2025. Armored future then? Not at all, because although McKennie is not wearing the 'for sale' sign,he does not even figure among the non-transferable players of the squad and indeed, his good performances place him among the Juventus players with the most transfer market in view of the coming months .

THE CONDITIONS FOR THE GOODBYE - A real asset that has admirers especially in the Premier League, Juve knows this and for this reason does not veto his departure after only one season in Turin, however there are clear conditions to be fulfilled to make this scenario possible. The first concerns the economic aspect of a possible outgoing transaction. The early redemption puts the Bianconeri in a position to have immediate control over the player's future and also provides a clear picture of the figures: McKennie was redeemed for 18.5 million euros (payable in three years) and is currently weighing less on the budget. to this figure must then be added the accessory charges that can accrue up to a maximum of a further 6.5 million. Therefore, bearing in mind that the goal is in any case to book a rich capital gain in the event of a sale, Juve will evaluate cash offers or exchange offers with other players that are around a valuation of 30 million euros . The economic aspect is then added to that linked to the timing with a watershed date: June 30 , the closing day of the financial statements. The aforementioned economic conditions in fact refer to any offers that lead to a sale of the player before that date, so as to be able to record the capital gain in the current balance sheet. The speech changes radically instead for any offers that may arrive after 30 Juneand therefore lead to a sale whose effects would have an impact on the balance sheet that will close on 30 June 2022: in that case Juve would not have immediate needs and could think more carefully, even with who will be at the helm of the team next year (Pirlo or others) on the possibility of depriving oneself of such a flexible and precious player in his first season in Italy. Figures and timing: McKennie can leave, but Juve have clear conditions in mind to let the former Schalke go.

8 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Is yedlin injured or done?  I haven’t been following him. 

Was injured, now is back training.

Not done though, this was arguably his best season as a pro since he was with Seattle.   

I could see him on the Gold Cup roster if healthy.

• Thanks 1