Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

Posted (edited)

ChuckMe92 Soccer@ChuckMe92Soccer

"In the Eredivisie only two players have a passing accuracy (with at least three hundred passes) of more than eighty percent in the attacking part of the field this season. The first, unsurprisingly, is Davy Klaassen. The [second] will raise more eyebrows, Luca de la Torre."

Hmm...we may have found this cycle's late bloomer.  There's always one.

We're getting close to a world where some pretty decent players are going to get left off the WC squad.  Where instead of trying to find the last 3 or 4 who are good enough to go, the last 3-4 out are actually strong players.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 2

It is probably meaningless in the Dike situation but it is news none the less that might have a remote effect on his transfer fee.

==================

Orlando City owner Flávio Augusto da Silva is nearing a purchase agreement with the Wilf family, owners of the Minnesota Vikings, that could be completed as early as next Monday, according to a source close to the negotiations.

The sale will include Orlando City, the Orlando Pride, Exploria Stadium and the Orlando City academy system, according to a source close to the deal, who asked not to be identified because the sale is not complete. If a purchase agreement is completed, the two parties will need to undergo a 30 to 60 day closing period before the Wilf family potentially assumes control of the club.

A representative from Orlando City did not have a statement on any changes to the negotiations, which have been ongoing for nearly two years. The sale is expected to be valued between $400 and $450 million according to a report from Sportico.

15 minutes ago, Moe. said:

It is uncanny....I mean it is not stretching the truth that the sky in the limit for the USMNT if we can get 5-6 other teams in MLS to produce this quantity and quality.

With Che, we do have some dual nat issues since he is eligible for Germany and has expressed interest if called.

• Like 2

I didn’t realize that about Che. If he’s that far along at 17 it definitely fits the profile of a player who’d be good enough for Germany. Will definitely have to Emperor Palpatine him but not get too excited. 

Former US Youth National Team player of the year Rubio Rubin looks to have finally awoken from a long slumber.

Rubio pretty much bounced around small clubs in Europe for years playing very little and seems to have found a home at RSL of all places.

He is off to a fabulous start this year and capped that great start with this sweet goal tonight:

https://streamable.com/o0cr7q

It was written last week that he is going to be passing in his one time switch paper work to play for Guatemala so we could see him in qualifying if Guat make the Ocho.

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

Former US Youth National Team player of the year Rubio Rubin looks to have finally awoken from a long slumber.

Rubio pretty much bounced around small clubs in Europe for years playing very little and seems to have found a home at RSL of all places.

He is off to a fabulous start this year and capped that great start with this sweet goal tonight:

https://streamable.com/o0cr7q

It was written last week that he is going to be passing in his one time switch paper work to play for Guatemala so we could see him in qualifying if Guat make the Ocho.

oh and in this same game, Wondo comes off the bench and scores 2 very late goals to win it for SJ.  Friggan Wondo.... :)

==========================

This is an amazing stat related to Wondo:   He started as a pro at a now relatively late 22 years old.  When he was 27, he had scored only 11 club goals in his entire career.

After tonight's brace, he has 181 goals.

• Like 1

wow, Weston never struck me as either over weight or unprofessional (at least outside of that one dumb party off the field)

================

Andrea Pirlo on Weston McKennie "He has lost weight, something we put in his head. He must be a 100% professional and not just 50%, like when he arrived"

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

RBL said before the game he was not dressing due to "back problems"

we must be getting close to US National team games.  Richards is out hurt too today

:(

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Finally catching up with American Fiasco.  First, it's fantastic -- an inside look at the team from 1994-1998.

Second, Steve Sampson sitting on the info about Harkes and Wynalda's wife for 12 years after the flack he took about cutting Harkes was noble.  Doesn't change any of the control freak stuff, but he comes off looking better in a few places. 

Side story:  I went to see this team practice at George Mason U after qualifying and before the World Cup.  The three things I remember are the up-close photos I have of Cobi and Earnie, that within 5 five minutes you could see that Wynalda was, by far, the best striker on the team, and that  Sampson was managing the #### out of the littlest details.  I can't remember who the winger was but they were doing a crossing drill and he was literally telling the player he should be two yards wider when he centered the ball or something like that.  

Interesting to hear all the players say Harkes should have gone anyhow, including Wynalda, who comes off great in every part of the entire series so far IMO.  Starting a fight with Simeone, looking after his teammates, not accepting the USSF offer that favored him and the vets, etc.  Definitely changes my view of  him some -- he was kind of a ##### when he played, but he has good instincts about a lot.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, berndog said:

Netflix?

Men in Blazers 10-episode pod.  A lot of really nice detail, and I remember some of this stuff from the time.  If you weren't following the team back then it would be a great way to understand the team prior to the 2002 version.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Episode 6 has a long piece about David Regis and, mostly, Jeff Agoos.  The coda to what you hear in this episode is that Agoos finally does make a World Cup at 34, with Bruce Arena, his club coach at DC United.  Agoos was a stalwart for Arena at United, and also at UVA when Arena was there -- where Agoos remains the only player to be named an All-American all four years.

So he's a last-minute cut in 1994, a last-minute cut in 1998, but gets into the team in his twilight where Arena moves him inside to central defense (despite the fact Agoos is a fire hydrant of a man).  Agoos had played there before for United, most importantly during DC United's Concacaf Champions League win (or whatever it was called back then).  IIRC, in the final against Toluca (Mexico), Agoos was man of the match playing CB and specifically called out by Toluca's coach.  So he and Arena have a great history together and Arena brings him to the World Cup in 2002.

Where Agoos falls on his face.  An own goal to get Portugal back in the match.  Then a penalty awarded against him.  Then he hurts his calf and misses the rest of the tournament.  Just brutal.

So he's with the Nats for 14 years before getting to the World Cup and it ends in tears.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Where Agoos falls on his face.  Own goal to get Portugal back in the match.  Then a penalty awarded against him.  Then he hurts his calf and misses the rest of the tournament.

I was just getting into soccer at that time.  Watched a bunch of games while on a graduation trip in Europe.  Watched him play...  Thought he was a bum. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I was just getting into soccer at that time.  Watched a bunch of games while on a graduation trip in Europe.  Watched him play...  Thought he was a bum. 

He was great as a cog in a dominant team.  He was a good LB for United and had a hammer for a left foot (that whole team was fantastic with the sideline to sideline switch of play).  But he was slow even by MLS standards and by the time he got the World Cup he was also old. 

At the time it was a tragedy for a DCU fan who appreciated what he'd done and what a stand up team guy he was, but he really just didn't belong there.

OTOH, he looked like Van Dijk against Leon and Toluca in the Champions League around that same time.  He must have cleared 20 balls with his head.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

17 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Episode 6 has a long piece about David Regis and, mostly, Jeff Agoos.  The coda to what you hear in this episode is that Agoos finally does make a World Cup at 34, with Bruce Arena, his club coach at DC United.  Agoos was a stalwart for Arena at United, and also at UVA when Arena was there -- where Agoos remains the only player to be named an All-American all four years.

So he's a last-minute cut in 1994, a last-minute cut in 1998, but gets into the team in his twilight where Arena moves him inside to central defense (despite the fact Agoos is a fire hydrant of a man).  Agoos had played there before for United, most importantly during DC United's Concacaf Champions League win (or whatever it was called back then).  IIRC, in the final against Toluca (Mexico), Agoos was man of the match playing CB and specifically called out by Toluca's coach.  So he and Arena have a great history together and Arena brings him to the World Cup in 2002.

Where Agoos falls on his face.  An own goal to get Portugal back in the match.  Then a penalty awarded against him.  Then he hurts his calf and misses the rest of the tournament.  Just brutal.

So he's with the Nats for 14 years before getting to the World Cup and it ends in tears.

Played against him and his brother at a national maccabiah team camp back when I was in HS. Solid player then (brother too) and I was always a fan of his at LB for club and country. I didn't remember his WC collapse at all...sad legacy for an all-timer (imo) for the US. I mean...I think we kept bringing him up as the best natural LB the US had had in modern times, especially when they were plugging anybody with a pulse or surf board back there.

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Played against him and his brother at a national maccabiah team camp back when I was in HS. Solid player then (brother too) and I was always a fan of his at LB for club and country. I didn't remember his WC collapse at all...sad legacy for an all-timer (imo) for the US. I mean...I think we kept bringing him up as the best natural LB the US had had in modern times, especially when they were plugging anybody with a pulse or surf board back there.

You know, DMB wasn't terrible as a LB later in his career.  Still had the speed to break up the sideline, still had the motor to go all game.  Obviously not a great one on one defender and struggled to cover properly every time. 

5 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

You know, DMB wasn't terrible as a LB later in his career.  Still had the speed to break up the sideline, still had the motor to go all game.  Obviously not a great one on one defender and struggled to cover properly every time. 

Totally agree. He answered the call as a plug and play guy and was more than serviceable, especially getting forward. That's why I added the "natural" qualifier to LB in regards to Goos.

3 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Second, Steve Sampson sitting on the info about Harkes and Wynalda's wife for 12 years after the flack he took about cutting Harkes was noble. 

This has always struck me as amazing. 

Unlike Klinsmann, who I think was put under some sort of gag order tied to his financial separation package to keep quiet, Sampson took so much crap and kept his mouth shut about what really happened with likely no money at all.

12 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

This has always struck me as amazing. 

Unlike Klinsmann, who I think was put under some sort of gag order tied to his financial separation package to keep quiet, Sampson took so much crap and kept his mouth shut about what really happened with likely no money at all.

I heard Sampson was given a severance package of $361

16 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Finally catching up with American Fiasco.  First, it's fantastic -- an inside look at the team from 1994-1998.

Thanks for bringing this up, never heard of it. Started it this morning on my run and I’m still listening with the Wolves/Brighton on mute. This is perfect for a Johnny Come Lately like myself. Very well done so far.

25 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

What is his contract like? Has there been concrete speculation about him moving to a bigger league?

Not public and not that I have heard.

As amazing as I think Aaronson has been, we also need to remember he is an offensive player on a team that is SO much better than almost every team that he faces in his league.  It is the perfect situation to make him look fabulous.

I still remember when Jozy scored over 50 goals in two seasons in Holland and once he went to a bad team in England, he stopped scoring entirely.

I am hopeful this won't happen to Aaronson but I also am cautious to think that if he moves to a mid tableish team in Germany that he would look this good.

Now if Marsch some how gets him to RBL, then it could be wonderful for him but the competition for playing time will sky rocket as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

As amazing as I think Aaronson has been, we also need to remember he is an offensive player on a team that is SO much better than almost every team that he faces in his league.  It is the perfect situation to make him look fabulous.

I still remember when Jozy scored over 50 goals in two seasons in Holland and once he went to a bad team in England, he stopped scoring entirely.

:goodposting: 

He's lightweight defensively and he's playing on a legit Champions League team against MLS quality teams.

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

:goodposting: 

He's lightweight defensively and he's playing on a legit Champions League team against MLS quality teams.

Not according to Jesse Marsch.  He said only the very top teams in Austria are MLS quality while the majority of the league is lower.  Which means the gap between RBS and most of the Austrian league is cavernous.

Seeing as he coached in both leagues, he probably has a clearer view on this than most do.

• Thinking 1

I still can't get over reading through MLS box scores. 

Every week a ton of players are scoring who were snubbed by Kreis and at the same time, I don't know if even a single player on the U23 team has scored yet this season.

7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

*Reynolds with another start for Roma today.

*Massive game later today between Milan and Juve.  They are level on points for the last Champions League spot.

That Juve Milan game is huge.

If somebody wins, they leapfrog Napoli and go level on points with second place Atalanta (behind on GD). I would imagine CR would move on without CL...might anyways.

• Like 1