Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

once again, like with Musah and Dest, our biggest attraction is a much quicker path to the full national team

=============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Berhalter on Justin Che: "he's a kid on loan at Bayern Munich. He's done a great job with their youth and reserve teams - and has earned the opportunity to get called into camp. That's going to be fun observing him and integrating him into what we do."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

More from GGG

=======

Berhalter on David Ochoa: "We felt he had a strong Olympic qualifying. The last game didn't go as planned but overall he played well. We realize our goalkeeper pool lacks youth and it would be good to get him integrated ASAP" Telling quote on GK pool and need for youth #USMNT

Berhalter on Green: "[He's] been in the national team program before but now really has taken his game to a high level at Furth. He's playing every single week, the team is performing really well in Bundie 2. We wanted the opportunity to look at him."

Also notes that the promotion/relegation playoff might keep Julian Green off the roster should Furth finish 3rd - where it currently sits entering into the final weekend

Berhalter on Matthew Hoppe "It's been really great to watch his rise at Schalke. To come on and score 3 goals in a Bundesliga game is amazing. He's a young attacking talent - really good work rate, really good energy. We're really excited to see what he can do with our group."

Edited by NewlyRetired

ok, some one help me with Tyler Adams because none of this adds up for me

1) Adams misses a handful of games with an injury

2) We later learn it is a back injury and with RBL playing out the string, they decide to shut Adams down and send him back to the US for treatment and recovery

3) Getting on a long plane ride with a bad back sucks but if he is going to be in the US for a while it makes sense

4) But today we see that GGG has added him to the Switzerland game squad (while also leaving out other injured players).

5) That means that if Adams is miraculously feeling better all of a sudden, he has to get back on a plane, go back to Europe, play in camp and then take a very long flight back to Denver when that is done.

The only way this makes even the remotest amount of sense to me is if step 2 above never actually occurred and he stayed in Germany.

• Thinking 1

I haven't watched many Che highlights, but in that clip he does look a) smaller / slighter than most CBs, b) smooth on the ball, c) can make a quality pass out of the back, d) decent positioning and movement.

I like what I see.  Looks to have a strong game sense developed (despite the OG in that clip).  He's listed at 6', but I doubt he's that.  But remember there are quality CBs that are in that height range.  Sergio Ramos is about the same height, although much broader (and like 20 years older, lol).  Pairing with a taller CB in Brooks would be fine IMO. 

10 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I haven't watched many Che highlights, but in that clip he does look a) smaller / slighter than most CBs, b) smooth on the ball, c) can make a quality pass out of the back, d) decent positioning and movement.

I like what I see.  Looks to have a strong game sense developed (despite the OG in that clip).  He's listed at 6', but I doubt he's that.  But remember there are quality CBs that are in that height range.  Sergio Ramos is about the same height, although much broader (and like 20 years older, lol).  Pairing with a taller CB in Brooks would be fine IMO. 

From that clip he looks pretty small.  He's only 17, so there's a good chance he grows another inch or two.  However, he's gonna have to add a bunch of muscle.  I think there's a good chance he develops into a CDM if his size doesn't change because he's clearly got the pace and the ball skills to do so IMO.

4 minutes ago, encaitar said:

he's clearly got the pace and the ball skills to do so IMO.

The ball skills need to be top notch for that spot, plus the aggressive terrier mentality to recover balls, close off lanes, and best of all commit the professional foul and know when to take a card.

• Like 1

I'd like to take a moment to appreciate that nobody's even blinking at the fact that 2 of our top guys aren't available due to the champions league finals.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I just saw this.  I was mistaken when I said those Che videos were against U19 players.  The U19 program sounds like it was stopped due to Covid so Che was playing with the U23 team.  That may have accentuated the size difference.  U23's are fully formed adults by that point so a 17 year old not named Cade Cowell is always likely to look smaller.

====================================

Bayern Munich academy director Jochen Sauer on Justin Che: “We hoped to give him a platform in our Under-19 group, but the season never continued. So, he played for our Under-23 team. We are in talks now about what can happen in the summer.  The player would like to stay, and we would like to keep him.”

4 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

that is a great article.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to think of a veteran like Wondo spending so much time with the kid.

I have always wondered why some kids who look so good get overlooked by youth national teams and his reason was interesting:

"But there were notable struggles along the way. As a child, Cowell battled Osgood-Schlatter's disease, a knee ailment that afflicts children experiencing growth spurts. The disease left him in pain throughout his teenage years, keeping him out of the picture for the U.S. youth national teams at crucial times."

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

that is a great article.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to think of a veteran like Wondo spending so much time with the kid.

I have always wondered why some kids who look so good get overlooked by youth national teams and his reason was interesting:

"But there were notable struggles along the way. As a child, Cowell battled Osgood-Schlatter's disease, a knee ailment that afflicts children experiencing growth spurts. The disease left him in pain throughout his teenage years, keeping him out of the picture for the U.S. youth national teams at crucial times."

Yep.

And some highlight pr0n

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I had that when I was 13. 

Although I didn't exactly lose my place on the national team as a result. But Dr Cruel decided to put me in a cast for 6 weeks for it- we found out at the end, just to keep me off my feet and hobble me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Wow...ESPN with a feature on him too.

The youth coach that switched him from FB to forward is my old club, district and state teammate...haven't seen his name in decades.

I could not get your link to work but this one goes right to the article

https://www.espn.com/soccer/san-jose-earthquakes/story/4390725/san-jose-legend-chris-wondolowski-has-been-guiding-cade-cowell17for-years-now-hes-shining-in-mls

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Although I didn't exactly lose my place on the national team as a result. But Dr Cruel decided to put me in a cast for 6 weeks for it- we found out at the end, just to keep me off my feet and hobble me. 

I had it, too. Ended up moving from catcher to 3rd base because of it.

1 hour ago, McBokonon said:
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

I'd never heard of it before, but OS apparently pretty common.  My son sprained his ACL :sadbanana: and his xray showed he 'had a bit of Osgoods' as the doc put it.  One of his teammates has it worse and has been in/out of training because of the pain. 

• Sad 1

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

A nugget in there: Portland turned down an offer from Hungarian champions/Champions League side Ferencvaros in the region of $1.5 million for Williamson this winter, per sources DC United still hold a 50% sell-on clause in Williamson, complicating the math for any potential deal

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McBokonon said:

I had it. Couldn’t really kneel or bang my knees on anything in junior high. Probably was not the wisest of moves to follow that up by running hurdles in high school. I was slower than dirt but tall enough to only be moderately terrible, and nobody else would run them.

14 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Sarge and the Werder shame spiral continue

:(

Bob Morocco

@bob_morocco

Kind of hard to describe how Bremen did not score, great move, Josh breaks into the box on the ball and squares for the open man who has his point blank shot saved

6 hours ago, McBokonon said:

Sarge and the Werder shame spiral continue

Will he interesting to see where he is next season now that WB is officially relegated.

I want to be impressed by Dike but not seeing it right now.  He is big and runs hard but seem to commit more fouls than he draws.  That might not be entirely fair as  it’s apparent Barnsley is not  permitted to pass the ball on the ground to him. 
The few times I’ve watched he’s shown nothing but desire.  Really hoping he changes my mind this summer. 

Fyi...

CP and chels play at 11.

Swag and Juve at 2:45

Weah and Lille at 3.

Huge games for all three. Weah has been coming in as a sub. Swag and CP rotating start and sub...wonder if either start today.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Fyi...

CP and chels play at 11.

Swag and Juve at 2:45

Weah and Lille at 3.

Huge games for all three. Weah has been coming in as a sub. Swag and CP rotating start and sub...wonder if either start today.

Weah has had a good run lately with minutes.  He has started 6 of the last 9 games and came on at half in one of the other three.

sounds like Williamson is the player we most have to keep an eye on this year in MLS.  I always enjoy when a player makes the leap from good pro to some one who could be considered a Nat in the near future.

==========

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

Eryk Williamson vs. Galaxy: 90 mins, 96% passing completion rate, 6/8 duels won, 4 clearances, 3/4 dribbles, 1/2 tackles, 3 interceptions. Another top day for him

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

McKenzie starting again for Genk.

I don’t know the format. Looks like they’re 3 points back of Brugge in the playoff round but are up in GD. If Genk win, do they move into first and go into Champion League group instead of qualifiers?

Edited by McBokonon

9 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I don’t know the format. Looks like they’re 3 points back of Brugge in the playoff round but are up in GD. If Genk win, do they move into first and go into Champion League group instead of qualifiers?

I checked this myself a couple of days ago as I did not know the rules.

I believe Genk are locked into the qualifiers.  The first tie breaker is regular season standings.  So the best Genk can do is come level on points but will lose out on the tie breaker.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Softest red card ever on Miazga today. 

Foul, I guess, sure. 

Yellow, probably not as that was as little shirt pulling as you will ever see a CB do on that type of play. 

Red, are you kidding me?????   

I assume the ref some how saw this as a break away type foul

https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/1396521420008665091?s=20

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, I finally found what I was looking for.  US Soccer and MLS are ending their marketing relationship.

This should be really interesting because it separates the tv rights for this round of contracts.  it will be fun to see if separating the two entities unlocks some value for the tv rights.

Last go around the tv contract $90m a year which was roughly divided $20m to US Soccer and $70m to MLS.

================

Mark J. Burns

@markjburns88

NEWS: U.S. Soccer is ending their 20-year relationship with Soccer United Marketing and taking their commercial rights in-house, including sponsorship and media, beginning in 2023. The current deal runs through the end of 2022

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McBokonon said:

McKennie on the bench

Pirlo benched Ronaldo too.

Looks like it is working though.  Juventus up 3 at half time.  They still need help else where though.  Napoli is still level at half and if that holds, Juve leap frog them into Champions League.

7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pirlo benched Ronaldo too.

Looks like it is working though.  Juventus up 3 at half time.  They still need help else where though.  Napoli is still level at half and if that holds, Juve leap frog them into Champions League.

If Milan or Napoli drop points, Juve leaps either or both of them. Only 1 point behind both.

Milan currently 1-0. Napoli 0-0.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Weston, Pulisic, Adams, Gio, Dest, Aaronson, McKenzie, Brooks, Steffen, Weah and Marsch are all in Champions League next year assuming no transfers.

Richards may be as well.

Forgot about Sieb too, now that his transfer is final.  Yedlin and Boyd too I think

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

When this European season ends, #USMNT players will have won:

UEFA Champions League

English Premier League

EFL Cup

Copa Del Rey

Coppa Italia

DFB Pokal (German Cup)

Ligue 1

Belgian League

Belgium Cup

Austrian League

Austrian Cup

Swiss League

Hell of a season.

===========================

:heart:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

US Soccer ending its relationship with SUM after 2022. They will reportedly bring the marketing function in-house.  This seems like great news.

I posted this as well earlier in the thread.  it is very interesting news.

Tannenwald (the Philly reporter with a lot of media contacts and knowledge), gave an interview on a podcast yesterday.

He believes the genesis of this is due to the multiple legal actions against US Soccer.  I assume SUM wants to be isolated against possible actions against US Soccer.

He thinks US Soccer will have numerous choices for the next tv contract, since the quantity of games to sell is fairly low and it is easy to fit into schedules.

There is also a rumor floating that MLS already has a set deal with ESPN but that CBS is trying to get a piece as well.

The most interesting part for me is whether the two organizations can now unlock more value separated rather than combined.  It feels like the time is right.

I also like the fact that the governing body now no longer has any financial connections to our domestic league.  It just feels more correct and less chance for corruption.

• Like 1