Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

14 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I posted this as well earlier in the thread.  it is very interesting news.

Tannenwald (the Philly reporter with a lot of media contacts and knowledge), gave an interview on a podcast yesterday.

He believes the genesis of this is due to the multiple legal actions against US Soccer.  I assume SUM wants to be isolated against possible actions against US Soccer.

He thinks US Soccer will have numerous choices for the next tv contract, since the quantity of games to sell is fairly low and it is easy to fit into schedules.

There is also a rumor floating that MLS already has a set deal with ESPN but that CBS is trying to get a piece as well.

The most interesting part for me is whether the two organizations can now unlock more value separated rather than combined.  It feels like the time is right.

I also like the fact that the governing body now no longer has any financial connections to our domestic league.  It just feels more correct and less chance for corruption.

Can USSF sell World Cup ’26 rights, or is that something FIFA owns? One thing that struck me is that US Soccer has a qualification round this year, but the next contract won’t have World Cup qualifying since we are hosting. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Can USSF sell World Cup ’26 rights, or is that something FIFA owns? One thing that struck me is that US Soccer has a qualification round this year, but the next contract won’t have World Cup qualifying since we are hosting. 

FIFA owns the WC rights.  US Soccer could theoretically buy them from FIFA like what happened in the early 2000's when SUM was born.  But back then the rights were worth peanuts in the US.

Now with them being over a billion dollars, it is well out of US Soccer's price range.

Also, thanks to the complete corruption surrounding Qatar, FIFA quietly granted Fox the rights to 2026 in exchange for not being sued by Fox regarding the change in schedule of WC 2022.

US Soccer does own the rights to all home qualifiers but not the away ones.  Mexico was under the SUM umbrella as well so that was the only away qualifier that was treated normally.  The rest are always haphazard.

I think Fox is the most likely home for US Soccer since they may want to keep the synergy with WC2026.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

Was hoping CP would close the season out better than he did the last couple games. He flashed a couple moments, but wasn't consistently at that level and certainly couldn't find his finishing boots. I don't know that he did enough to elevate himself above the crowded pack on that team. Yeah, still has those moments where he looks like he can take games over- maybe more than most on that squad...but again, not as consistently as my nervous-nelly inner US fan would like

16 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Was hoping CP would close the season out better than he did the last couple games. He flashed a couple moments, but wasn't consistently at that level and certainly couldn't find his finishing boots. I don't know that he did enough to elevate himself above the crowded pack on that team. Yeah, still has those moments where he looks like he can take games over- maybe more than most on that squad...but again, not as consistently as my nervous-nelly inner US fan would like

He'll have plenty of opportunity to do so for the Nats.  He'll play weaker competition until WC, so we'll see if he can put a stamp on the game without getting stamped himself.

53 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

All the games are finally catching up to them both from an injury perspective and tactically.  James at CB without Kante is a big weakness.  Kante triggers so much of what the do and with Kova and James in that right channel, it becomes exploitable (my guess is this is one of the reasons he flipped to the left side against AV so Mount could provide some cover).  Then you throw in Werner who seems like he really more suited to be paired with another forward so he can make runs between the outside back and CB (he just doesn't know how to time runs in that position correctly).  It just makes for a very disjointed attack.  Plus the only one CP really combines well with is Mount.  

There's a reason their transfer targets are Rice (DM) and the pipe dream in Kane (CF).  The only thing I'm really worried about is they land that CF and Werner beats him out for one of the "2" positions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

He'll have plenty of opportunity to do so for the Nats.  He'll play weaker competition until WC, so we'll see if he can put a stamp on the game without getting stamped himself.

17 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

All the games are finally catching up to them both from an injury perspective and tactically.  James at CB without Kante is a big weakness.  Kante triggers so much of what the do and with Kova and James in that right channel, it becomes exploitable (my guess is this is one of the reasons he flipped to the left side against AV so Mount could provide some cover).  Then you throw in Werner who seems like he really more suited to be paired with another forward so he can make runs between the outside back and CB (he just doesn't know how to time runs in that position correctly).  It just makes for a very disjointed attack.  Plus the only one CP really combines well with is Mount.  

There's a reason their transfer targets are Rice (DM) and the pipe dream in Kane (CF).  The only thing I'm really worried about is they land that CF and Werner beats him out for one of the "2" positions.  

Both good points regarding bigger picture.

I guess my point was that he didn't make the most- as he's more than capable- of his touches the last couple games, which I found disappointing and a little worrisome, given the competition and war chest.

Hopefully he takes over the CL final and puts it all together to get result for the team and himself.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Hopefully he takes over the CL final and puts it all together to get result for the team and himself.

That's a big ask for him IMO.  He's not Messi, Suárez, Ronaldo, Modric, Salah level.  Those are guys that can take over a CL final.  Pulisic will likely be a quality role player on an elite team for a good long time.  I think we're seeing the limits of his ability (and they are better than any other US player ever).

Just now, The Z Machine said:

That's a big ask for him IMO.  He's not Messi, Suárez, Ronaldo, Modric, Salah level.  Those are guys that can take over a CL final.  Pulisic will likely be a quality role player on an elite team for a good long time.  I think we're seeing the limits of his ability (and they are better than any other US player ever).

The question I have about Pulisic is consistency.

There are moments in time where he looks every bit a top player in the world and then other times he looks just as you describe him.   

And I am not talking just a game or 2 either when he looks great.  Last spring/summer he put together a stretch of games for Chelsea that were fabulous!  He approached that level a couple of times this season but never held it together for an extended run.

I am not ready to say his upper limit is just being a role player on a great team, simply because we have evidence that he can rise to the next (final) level as a player.   

Whether he can ever do this consistently or not is something we will all watch in coming seasons.  I do not see a long career at the top clubs though for Pulisic simply due to his some what fragile body and playing style that draws hacking.  I could see him having to transition to a smaller league like MLS or its equivalent shortly after he turns 30.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I disagree. We've seen him take games over enough to be "the" guy, the difference maker. Hes basically there, but lacking consistency and finishing. Obviously HUGE factors to be "the" guy. But what he can do is put enough of those touches and movements together to open up the defense and score or create goals. He's shown that ability against every team at every level in all competitions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Whether he can ever do this consistently or not is something we will all watch in coming seasons.  I do not see a long career at the top clubs though for Pulisic simply due to his some what fragile body and playing style that draws hacking.  I could see him having to transition to a smaller league like MLS or its equivalent shortly after he turns 30.

I dunno man.  There are plenty of other, smaller players that get beat on and come away just fine.  Maybe it's how he's built, but the hacking is less the issue than the hammies it seems.

FWIW, I think Weston is the real future and heart of the team, not Pulisic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I dunno man.  There are plenty of other, smaller players that get beat on and come away just fine.  Maybe it's how he's built, but the hacking is less the issue than the hammies it seems.

I think it is how he is built. He is rail thin which does not help.

The player he is most commonly compared is Eden Hazzard and I don't think it is a coincidence that Hazzard has had bad health problems once he got in his late 20's.  He may even be done now at 30 as a top level club player if he can't find a way to stay healthy and perform.

Although I do think he will still have a few very good moments for Belgium before he is done.

Edited by NewlyRetired

10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

He may even be done now at 30 as a top level club player if he can't find a way to stay healthy and perform.

Although I do think he will still have a few very good moments for Belgium before he is done.

I'd love to have him on any club/country squad.  He's still a great player even if he hasn't found his rhythm with Benz and Modric at Real.

3 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I'd love to have him on any club/country squad.  He's still a great player even if he hasn't found his rhythm with Benz and Modric at Real.

I think that is the general point though.  It is hard to find any rhythm when you are always hurt.

This season he had the following issues, in order:

"knock" - missed 2 games

"muscle injury" - missed 6 games

"Corona virus" - missed 1 game

"muscle injury" - missed 8 games

"muscle injury" - missed 7 games

"muscle injury" - missed 8 games

"knock" - missed 1 game 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

I disagree. We've seen him take games over enough to be "the" guy, the difference maker. Hes basically there, but lacking consistency and finishing. Obviously HUGE factors to be "the" guy. But what he can do is put enough of those touches and movements together to open up the defense and score or create goals. He's shown that ability against every team at every level in all competitions.

I continue to harp on this, but Werner is part of the problem here as he doesn't really force hard decisions from CBs in his runs and when he does the runs go into CPs (or Mount's space).  All of Werner's good runs are essentially inverted runs into the halfspace between the CB and outside back or out past the outside back instead of something that pulls the CBs apart and/or forces hard decisions (one of the reasons he's so often offsides as the decision to hold the line is relatively easy and predictable).  

• Like 1

Here is the Nations League final roster

DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB/COUNTRY; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 21/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 40/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 14/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 7/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 21/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 42/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 10/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 62/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 27/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 20/6), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 21/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 4/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0)

FORWARDS: (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 4/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 15/9), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 4/2), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 13/5), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys/SUI; 2/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 10/1)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 21/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 40/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 14/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 7/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 21/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 42/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 10/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 62/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 27/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 20/6), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 21/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 4/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0)

FORWARDS: (6): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 4/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 15/9), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 4/2), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 13/5), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys/SUI; 2/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 10/1)

• Yedlin over Reynolds
  • Someone over Richards
  • Yueill over LdlT
  • Siebatcheu over all of them

I assume some of these are for reasons, but they caught my eye.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:
  • Yedlin over Reynolds
  • Someone over Richards
  • Yueill over LdlT
  • Siebatcheu over all of them

I assume some of these are for reasons, but they caught my eye.

Richards has been hurt so I assume that plays into this.

Yueill is painful but I don't think GGG see's LDT as a 6, where as he does for Yueill.

I am still shocked by the keepers (besides Steffen).

They really need to find a capable backup for Adams. Yuell aint it.  He's not even Beckerman good.

Interested to see what the Gold Cup roster looks like. Seems like a few "B Team" guys will have a nice opportunity to be key cogs and stake their claim.

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Richards has been hurt so I assume that plays into this.

Yueill is painful but I don't think GGG see's LDT as a 6, where as he does for Yueill.

I am still shocked by the keepers (besides Steffen).

I thought Acosta was the backup to Adams as the #6 here?  And Yueill was a spare #8 along with Lletget?

How is Turner with the ball at his feet?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

They really need to find a capable backup for Adams. Yuell aint it.  He's not even Beckerman good.

Interested to see what the Gold Cup roster looks like. Seems like a few "B Team" guys will have a nice opportunity to be key cogs and stake their claim.

After watching Yuell this weekend when San Jose played Sporting KC, Busio is far and away a better 6 than Yuell.

In my opinion. 

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I thought Acosta was the backup to Adams as the #6 here?  And Yueill was a spare #8 along with Lletget?

How is Turner with the ball at his feet?

Turner is ok at his feet, not great not terrible.

Yueill has never played the 8 to my knowledge.  He has been a 6 his whole pro career and with the youths.  Acosta is a more natural 8 but GGG has used him at the 6 as well.

Yueill has decent foot skills and technique but I am unsure he has the athleticism required at the 8.

If Adams is really healthy, we probably won't see much of Yueill.

GGG does like Lletget though so I am expecting to see him as at least a second half sub.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChiefD said:

After watching Yuell this weekend when San Jose played Sporting KC, Busio is far and away a better 6 than Yuell.

In my opinion. 

I think so as well.  There is something about Yueill that does not sit with me which bugs me because he looks the part with his feet but there is something missing....

• Like 1

This was a question I asked last week

===============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Based on the current roster, the following 6 dual (or triple) national players can be cap-tied to the #USMNT at the Nations League if they play:

Yunus Musah, Antonee Robinson, David Ochoa, Gio Reyna, Tim Weah, and Jordan Siebatcheu

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Turner is ok at his feet, not great not terrible.

Yueill has never played the 8 to my knowledge.  He has been a 6 his whole pro career and with the youths.  Acosta is a more natural 8 but GGG has used him at the 6 as well.

Yueill has decent foot skills and technique but I am unsure he has the athleticism required at the 8.

If Adams is really healthy, we probably won't see much of Yueill.

GGG does like Lletget though so I am expecting to see him as at least a second half sub.

If Yueill is behind Adams, Acosta becomes the interesting add here.  Maybe Berhalter likes his flexibility or something.

• Like 1

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

This was a question I asked last week

===============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Based on the current roster, the following 6 dual (or triple) national players can be cap-tied to the #USMNT at the Nations League if they play:

Yunus Musah, Antonee Robinson, David Ochoa, Gio Reyna, Tim Weah, and Jordan Siebatcheu

We probably have a good chance to see every one but Ochoa cap tied in these two games.

Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

If Yueill is behind Adams, Acosta becomes the interesting add here.  Maybe Berhalter likes his flexibility or something.

we are missing that swiss army knife type player now that Weston has found his true home at the 8. 

Maybe you are right in that GGG see's that in Acosta.

25 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

it always takes me a while to realize who is missing....

No Dike in this list.....which is someone who also needs to be cap tied.....

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Could be the explanation for why Sieb was included too.

It can't hurt but realistically he has no chance at France.   They are the elite of the elite right now.

As I mentioned above, Sieb may have bumped Dike who is some one far more likely to be courted by his dual nat country (Nigeria).

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

Dike, De La Tore, Konrad, Zardes, Richards, Turner*, The Old Man, Eric Palmer Brown, Reynolds, Williamson, Zimmerman, Pomykal...

There are plenty of names left over to create a decent Gold Cup squad.

*Sciaretta is proposing that GGG purposely left Turner off of this Nations League squad because he wanted to him to start in the Gold Cup and stated ahead of time that he would have no over lap in the two squads.  Seeing as this is a keeper who would not play a minute (unlike field players) in Nations League, this makes a lot of sense now as to why the keepers were chosen this way.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

so what hex will befall us between now and the Honduras game to continue to have these 3 never start together?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2LIQKoXMAAQQNR?format=jpg&name=900x900

well that didn't take long.....Sounds like Adams may not be healthy........

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Berhalter on Tyler Adams: says the team has been monitoring his injury but felt he was too important to leave off. If they have to to replace him (within 24 hours of first game), Berhalter feels they can but keeping him “was a risk worth taking.”

Berhalter says Daryl Dike will be with the team the duration and play vs Costa Rica but based decision to cut him from NL roster  on current form. Says it was a tough decision and a “temporary setback” for him

Berhalter says some of the roster decisions were made with an eye towards later in the summer

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thinking 2

24 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Dike, De La Tore, Konrad, Zardes, Richards, Turner*, The Old Man, Eric Palmer Brown, Reynolds, Williamson, Zimmerman, Pomykal...

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Berhalter tips his hand a bit on Miles Robinson - listing him on players he’ll have on the Gold Cup team

You absolutely have to play Weston at the 6 if Adams can't go.

Zach

Dest         Miazga           Brooks            Robinson

Weston

Musah                     Lleget (I'd rather Reyna, but they listed him as a forward for a reason)

Weah                       Sarge                       CP

The right wing is the interesting spot to me. Reyna and Aaronson are both very talented but Weah has a little more experience.

• Like 2

As for Gold Cup, maybe something like......

Turner

Reynolds             Richards(if healthy)            Robinson or EPB             Vines

Pomykal

DeLaTorre                    ?(Williamson?)

Nips                        Dike                   Konrad             

Maybe I'm way off here. Is Pomykal even healthy? What about James Sands? Maybe him at the 6, pushing Paxton (if healthy) further up the field?

Really hope we dont see Roldan rolled out there again

• Like 1

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

The #USMNT will travel with 25 players for the NL games and the Costa Rica friendly - the 23 player roster, Dike, and a player to be named (to the public) later. Berhalter feels this will prepare for 3-game windows in WCQ - with 25 players, 3 games, over a short span

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

As for Gold Cup, maybe something like......

Turner

Reynolds             Richards(if healthy)            Robinson or EPB             Vines

Pomykal

DeLaTorre                    ?(Williamson?)

Nips                        Dike                   Konrad             

Maybe I'm way off here. Is Pomykal even healthy? What about James Sands? Maybe him at the 6, pushing Paxton (if healthy) further up the field?

Really hope we dont see Roldan rolled out there again

Pomykal is back now and played well in his last game.  In your lineup all you have to do is swap Pomy and Williamson (Pomy is an 8 and Williamson is more of a 6). 

16 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pomykal is back now and played well in his last game.  In your lineup all you have to do is swap Pomy and Williamson (Pomy is an 8 and Williamson is more of a 6). 

Yeah, wasn't sure. Williamson is listed as "attacking midfielder" on his wiki page.

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

never expected to see Dempsey in something like this....I guess this was why he suddenly reemerged last week and did a podcast with DMB and Gooch (old Gooch)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2K0PKqXsAMlf9-?format=jpg&name=900x900

So, uh, Jenny or Kate?  Which would you prefer (as an announcer, of course)?

• Like 1

I don't mind the roster much.  I think it does fairly well in picking players that need to play together, cap tying some players, and putting some in Gold Cup to showcase what they can bring.