What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

yeah it won't be long until we know for sure.   And IMO nothing is going to happen between now and September that will change anything.

I just have a hard time seeing him watching that US Mexico game and then thinking that the England U21 team would be a better choice for him.

He cradled that trophy like it was his own baby in the locker room.  That is not the action of some one who has checked out IMO.
And, as much as I want Musah on our team (like, pretty badly), we are in a fortunate spot (at least for now) that if he were to somehow change course and opt out, we would still be ok.  That's crazy.

And, as much as I want Musah on our team (like, pretty badly), we are in a fortunate spot (at least for now) that if he were to somehow change course and opt out, we would still be ok.  That's crazy.
I have been waiting for my entire adult life for a "next man up" situation across the roster.  This feels like the closest I have ever been...

And not to be a heartless ******* but the injuries to Nips, Long and Morris probably are going to open up chances for younger and better players.

Last edited by a moderator:
:popcorn:

====================

U.S. Soccer Comms

@ussoccer_comms

Gold Cup provisional rosters are due June 14 to Concacaf.  Release will be later that week.

:popcorn:

====================

U.S. Soccer Comms

@ussoccer_comms

Gold Cup provisional rosters are due June 14 to Concacaf.  Release will be later that week.
The provisional is a 40-man roster too, right?  Will be cool to look at who GB thinks are the top ~60 players overall (between the two lists).

I wonder if he calls in some of the aged vets like Bradley, Jozy, etc?

yeah it won't be long until we know for sure.   And IMO nothing is going to happen between now and September that will change anything.

I just have a hard time seeing him watching that US Mexico game and then thinking that the England U21 team would be a better choice for him.

He cradled that trophy like it was his own baby in the locker room.  That is not the action of some one who has checked out IMO.
Possibly he's headed to England and was cradling the trophy like that because he knew he'd never see one again.

Not down on the guy, but the pipeline is full enough that in 2 years you probably have a plug and play.  Hopefully that pipeline is his backups, but if not we really wouldn't be hurt that badly.

Curious why Musah couldn't be a Gold Cup addition?  I would hope for some overlap as someone of the younger guys on the fringe could probably use the experience.

Curious why Musah couldn't be a Gold Cup addition?  I would hope for some overlap as someone of the younger guys on the fringe could probably use the experience.
anyone can be a gold cup addition. 

We are just assuming GGG is keeping to his stance of no overlap until we see the roster or he tells us differently.  Maybe there will be a few surprises.  The provisional roster will likely be pretty large.

My hopes for the gold cup roster

- please no mediocre types that have little to no chance of contributing when the games matter(qualifying etc.)

- when in doubt, go young

- bring on the nostalgia, bradley/Jozy/wando...this at least makes it entertaining

- of course need to see Zardes, Musah and others that can actually impact meaningful games

bring on the nostalgia, bradley/Jozy/wando...this at least makes it entertaining
Caillou never got a farewell game because of Covid. He deserves something- still playimg at a high level too. Jozy may still feature for the US a-team the way things are going.

- please no mediocre types that have little to no chance of contributing when the games matter(qualifying etc.)
you should brace yourself then.  The provisional roster will be loaded with players like this.

The final Gold Cup roster, by definition, will have 10-15 players who will never step foot on a qualifying pitch this cycle.  

There are just only so many spots to be had for qualifying rosters and unless we have massive injuries to the first team, we are likely to only see a handful of players from the Gold Cup contribute.

All of above is said with the assumption of no over lap in the Nations League and Gold Cup.  If there is plenty of overlap, then yes, we want to see very careful choices with the remaining spots for the Gold Cup.

Can anyone give me the 4-1-1 on Leon Flach?  Trying to get acquainted with some names in the part of the pool under the high dive and his name has popped up multiple times now.  

If we're trying to predict a Gold Cup roster, any thoughts on exactly how to narrow down the massive pool of potential players?

My 'rules' would be:

No overlap - I'm interpreting this to rule out anyone who got game time for Nations Cup, but not to rule out anyone who played in the friendlies or didn't play

Eye to WCQ - I'm assuming GGG won't bring anyone who he doesn't perceive as having potential use for 2022 WC qualifying.  I think this rules out a lot of the 'kids'

Can anyone give me the 4-1-1 on Leon Flach?  Trying to get acquainted with some names in the part of the pool under the high dive and his name has popped up multiple times now.  
20, raised in Germany, left-footed, came up through St. Pauli’s system.  

For the Union, has mostly played a left-side shuttling 8 in a 4-4-2 diamond, but also did a really nice job as the 6 filling in for Jose Martinez during his suspension.  He also played some left back for St. Pauli.

He fits like a glove in the Union’s pressing system, and his MLS stats show it (again, he’s only 20 in his first season in the league):

3rd in tackles (34)
3rd in tackles in which team won possession (23)
2nd in on-ball pressures (223)
1st in press success rate (86 %)- number of times squad gained possession within 5 sec. of pressure. (Link)

Jim Curtain has raved about him, citing his very high soccer IQ and versatility.

I’d love to see him get onto the Gold Cup roster, to see if he can function as a USMNT 6 to give some good depth options behind Adams.

Here’s an all-touch vid vs Atlanta in CCL

We talked about that earlier today.

GGG stated due to "unfortunate circumstances" he arrived out of shape.  No one has any idea what that means though specifically.
Couldn't this be as simple as he was getting over a sinus infection (or COVID or ball cancer) and wasn't able to practice for a few weeks?  Or maybe he came in nursing a small injury or had to have a wart removed from his big toe.  

Couldn't this be as simple as he was getting over a sinus infection (or COVID or ball cancer) and wasn't able to practice for a few weeks?  Or maybe he came in nursing a small injury or had to have a wart removed from his big toe.  
The conspiracy theorists kind of correctly point out if it was something simple, GGG would have just said why instead of the story changing from the original "not used because of tactics" to "not used because of being in shape".

The conspiracy theorists kind of correctly point out if it was something simple, GGG would have just said why instead of the story changing from the original "not used because of tactics" to "not used because of being in shape".
So maybe he broke curfew with hookers and blow?

I guess I really just don't care.  

Musah seems really integrated into the team and I don't see that changing.  

If we're trying to predict a Gold Cup roster, any thoughts on exactly how to narrow down the massive pool of potential players?

My 'rules' would be:

No overlap - I'm interpreting this to rule out anyone who got game time for Nations Cup, but not to rule out anyone who played in the friendlies or didn't play

Eye to WCQ - I'm assuming GGG won't bring anyone who he doesn't perceive as having potential use for 2022 WC qualifying.  I think this rules out a lot of the 'kids'
I think it depends on what you mean by "kids".  Our talent pool is this weird non-bell curve of 30ish MLS guys and kids.  We simply don't have a lot of NT quality guys in their primes and if we do they are injured (Long and Morris being the most notable).  So while Cowell, Clark, Busio, Hoppe, Owan, Gioacchini, Sands, and Bello would fall into that "kid" category, I'd I'd also say they are probably 7 of the bigger upside guys that could help in WCQ.   

The other way to see this, is sort the ASN list by age.  Can the old guys that probably don't help (Bradley, Chandler, Morales, Zusi, Trapp, Cameron) for a game or two, sure; but I'm also not sure they can get through the GC in one piece. 

Is Zardes basically it for this age group who isn't injured or already on the roster (Yedlin/Brooks)?
Boyd, Arrriola (who I always think is much older than he is), Roldan, and Green are all 26 and in what i would call their primes.  Then you're looking at the 24 year olds.  I do think they need to look at Bye as well (25-yr NE defender who seems to have really stabilized them), but all the previous guys I assume will be on the GC roster.  At that point you may as well call in the rest of the U-24s.

The other way to do it is to just scroll whoscored for MLS.  There ain't much if any older US talent that even registers there (and this is one of the reasons we failed to qualify last cycle...the old guys were old then).  

Did they forget Konrad de la Fuente? 
Great catch.  And we often do too.  Which is absolutely stunning for a 19 year old kid that has played for Barcelona's first team already (and been on the bench multiple times) and is a regular on their B team.

Flach, Mueller, Vines, probably some others.

A ton of players to be excited to watch in a meaningful competition.  And one or two could make the leap.
And that's the beauty of our situation.  Previously, we needed lots of guys to take that next step to help fill out the team.  Now, with our current starters AND depth, we only need a couple of these guys to hit and the chances of that are significant given the volume.

Is there any chance of CCV or EPB being called in?  Or the 2nd tier Euros in general?

I'd like to see those guys again, but guessing it might conflict with the pre-season stuff for their clubs.  

ETA:  Can't believe I'm this jacked about seeing players ~20-60 in the pool.

I'm disappointed no one wanted to do my work for me here!

This is a potential 30-man GC roster, but have zero idea if all of these are even possibles to be called in.  And the provisional roster will be 40.  So I'm missing 10-15 names even if most of these are legit:

• Cowell, Hoppe, J Green, Gioacchini, Zardes, Akinola, Arriola, Konrad, Rubin, Boyd
  • LDLT, Clark, Otasowie, Mueller, Busio, Roldan, Flach
  • EPB, CCV, Che, Zimmerman, Sands, Richards
  • Vines, Reynolds, Bello, Lima
  • Ochoa, Turner, Johnson
ETA:  added Julian Green, Owen Otasowie, Justin Che and Lima to the original list. 

Also, from what I can tell by reading other people's opinions, that midfield group might be pretty strong.

I got to a 24-man GC roster, but have zero idea if all of these are even possibles to be called in.  And the provisional roster will be 40.  So I'm likely missing 20 names even if most of these are legit:

• Cowell, Hoppe, Gioacchini, Zardes, Akinola, Arriola, Konrad
  • LDLT, Clark, Mueller, Busio, Roldan, Flach
  • EPB, CCV, Zimmerman, Sands, Richards
  • Ochoa, Turner, Johnson
Solid.

I do wonder if theyll bring in the geriatrics in need of a proper send off...caillou, jozy...who else?

Maybe Boyd.

For some reason I thought akinola switched to canada. 

I got to a 28-man GC roster, but have zero idea if all of these are even possibles to be called in.  And the provisional roster will be 40.  So I'm likely missing 15 names even if most of these are legit:

• Cowell, Hoppe, J Green, Gioacchini, Zardes, Akinola, Arriola, Konrad
  • LDLT, Clark, Otasowie, Mueller, Busio, Roldan, Flach
  • EPB, CCV, Che, Zimmerman, Sands, Richards
  • Ochoa, Turner, Johnson
ETA:  added Julian Green, Owen Otasowie, Justin Che and Lima to the original list. 

Also, from what I can tell by reading other people's opinions, that midfield group might be pretty strong.
Nice list.

I would add in Rubio Rubin.  He is in a similar situation to Akinola where he looks close to switching countries but supposedly US Soccer reached out to him and said he is still in their plans. 

Added Boyd and Rubin.

I'm leaving the vets off for now, but adding those guys could bump things by another 4-5.

ETA: including the four games we just finished and depending on how far we go in the GC, we're going to see the USMNT 22-24 times in nine months.  Unprecedented.

Users who are viewing this thread