What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

I can't think of a country with more players like Busio than Italy.  They grow little Pirlo clones in labs.  Busio would be seriously betting on himself to make a one-time switch to a country where he is miles away from the senior team instead of a team where he's already contending for senior minutes by some's reckoning.
The Italians will make him an offer he can't refuse.

One thing that confuses me about Busio is the talk of him having an Italian passport.  Is that the same thing as having an Italian citizenship or is it more akin to our green cards?

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that confuses me about Busio is the talk of him having an Italian passport.  Is that the same thing as having an Italian citizenship or is it more akin to our green cards?
Pretty sure it means citizenship.  I believe his father is Italian and Italian dual citizenship is pretty easy to obtain if you have Italian heritage. I have dual citizenship as well (although mine was directly from being born there).

Regarding favorite teams for Chelsea to sell to, I think the answer is no.  He's out of contract next summer anyway and probably has relatively high wages, so it seems more likely he'll go on loan for one more season and then leave. Seems highly unlikely they extend - probably not wise for player or club.  

The whole Chelsea experiment started due to Miazga's relationship with shady super agent Kia Joorabchian, the guy who reportedly convinced Abramovic to buy Chelsea from Ken Bates in 2003.  Chelsea bought two of his clients on the same day - Miazga and Pato - neither of whom ever played for the club.  At the same time, he got a club in China to pay a record fee to Chelsea for Ramires. That club is now dissolved and Ram is back in Brazil.
Doesn't sound shady, just good business.

Pretty sure it means citizenship.  I believe his father is Italian and Italian dual citizenship is pretty easy to obtain if you have Italian heritage. I have dual citizenship as well (although mine was directly from being born there).
cool!  What part of the boot you from?  My dad was born in Sicily.

The couple of strikes he hit early on in that video from awkward positions are better than any I've seen from our current striker group.

edit - and a 3rd about 4 minutes in
Using both feet too which is great to see at his age.  Really only Gio has scored goals that are as good or better.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
What's up with the GC Roster?  Was submitted yesterday, no?
Yes, they were due yesterday. 

But I saw on reddit there was a comment from a Jamaican official that some of the Caribbean countries did not get them in (miscommunication I guess).  Concacaf is expected to make them public on Friday according to the same official.

Grain of salt and all that but this is Concacaf so screw ups are par for the course I guess.

Not that any one expected them to win but Haiti looks to have sealed its fate in qualifying as their federation is so discombobulated that they did not file the papers necessary for all the players to go to Chicago to play the second leg against Canada.   I don't know how many players Haiti will be missing but it looks like a handful of starters at least.

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

Fulham and Cardiff City have also joined the race for #USMNT defender Cameron Carter-Vickers, a source close to the player confirmed this morning. #RBNY have also reached out again. CCV’s deal with Spurs ends next summer.

Also my source also confirms that Gregg Berhalter has been in discussions with Carter-Vickers over involvement in the upcoming Concacaf Gold Cup. He deserves a shot after a strong season with Bournemouth

Good news for Weston

===================

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

UEFA have communicated to Juventus that they will be part of the Champions League next season, ANSA reports

From Goff

=============================

Update on FC Dallas' Justin Che, 17, who was on loan to Bayern Munich for 5 months ... Jochen Sauer, head of Bayern campus: "Justin is a talented young player, and we expect him to have a very successful career. He will remain a FC Dallas player in the near term.” #mls #usmnt

Joerg Wacker, Bayern board member for internationalization & strategy: “We sincerely value our partnership with FC Dallas and the Hunt family, which began in 2018, and we look forward to following Justin’s development with both FC Dallas and U.S. men’s national team."

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
good, lock this down

====================

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

USSF CEO Will Wilson says that the Fed "is on a good path" towards completing a new CBA for the #usmnt players. U.S. men's CBA expired over two years ago. Wilson says new deal will include back pay.

Panama advanced to the Ocho tonight with a squeaky bum 0-0 draw against Curacao.  Curacao only needed one goal to advance ahead of Panama

Jonathan Bamba is a very talented 25 year old winger who is being linked for a big money move to an MLS team. 

He played a ton of minutes out wide for Lille this past season so that may open up some more minutes for Weah next year if he does move some where.

The Ocho is now set with Panama, ELS and Canada joining US, Mexico, CR, Honduras and Jamaica

Next up is figuring out where to place the home games.  Canada is up first in September.   I would take the easy way out here and just place it in KC where the US has played well in front of strong partisan crowds. 

October will have two home games against Jamaica and Costa Rica sandwiched between a trip to Panama.  For these two games I would stay away from the upper Atlantic coast.  Jamaica's fans have flooded from as north as Foxboro down to DC in previous years.   CR should be fairly easy to place as long as we don't do something stupid like place it in NJ again.

This is it folks!  Here's the USMNT qualifying schedule:

September 2021

• El Salvador v USA
  • USA v Canada
  • Honduras v USA
October 2021

• USA v Jamaica
  • Panama v USA
  • USA v Costa Rica
November 2021

• USA v Mexico
  • Jamaica v USA
January 2022

• USA v El Salvador
  • Canada v USA
  • USA v Honduras
March 2022

• Mexico v USA
  • USA v Panama
  • Costa Rica v USA
4 games just played, 4-6 in the Gold Cup, 14 here.  Probably a friendly or two mixed in.  Could be 25 games in a 9-month period.

This is it folks!  Here's the USMNT qualifying schedule:

September 2021

• El Salvador v USA
  • USA v Canada
  • Honduras v USA
October 2021

• USA v Jamaica
  • Panama v USA
  • USA v Costa Rica
November 2021

• USA v Mexico
  • Jamaica v USA
January 2022

• USA v El Salvador
  • Canada v USA
  • USA v Honduras
March 2022

• Mexico v USA
  • USA v Panama
  • Costa Rica v USA
4 games just played, 4-6 in the Gold Cup, 14 here.  Probably a friendly or two mixed in.  Could be 25 games in a 9-month period.
Concacaf released the exact dates of the games too finally for everything but the November window.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3-sMRHWEAAnVV8?format=png&name=4096x4096

These are always interesting to go back and review.  This was written after the 2018 WC, trying to predict the 2022 WC roster for the US if they were to qualify.  I will chop out all the words and just give the predictions:

GOALKEEPER: Zack Steffen (27), Tim Melia (36), Jesse Gonzalez (27)

Only Steffen is correct here.

LEFT BACK: Danilo Acosta (24), Antonee Robinson (24)

Robinson looks a real good bet.  Acosta is an injury casualty.  Blew out his knee, missed the entire 2020 season, was waived and has not played a game this year yet.

CENTER BACK: Matt Miazga (26), John Brooks (29), Tim Parker (29), Erik Palmer-Brown (25)

Probably only 2 correct here.  EPB is a long shot and obviously the writer had no idea that players like Richards and McKenzie would blossomed as quickly as they did

RIGHT BACK: Tyler Adams (23), DeAndre Yedlin (29)

Both players will likely be on the roster but only Yedlin will be a RB

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELD: Weston McKennie (23), Chris Durkin (22)

Weston was a good call in 2018 but not at this position.  Durkin continues to impress in lower level Euro leagues but will need to make the jump to a bigger to start being thought of for the 2026 cycle.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD: Keaton Parks (24), Cristian Roldan (27), Paul Arriola (27)

He may have gone 0 for 3 here.  Only Nips is a long shot and not at this position

ATTACKING MIDFIELD: Andrew Carleton (22), Sebastian Lletget (29)

Oh dear.  Lletget is going but jesus, Carleton is playing in the 4th division right now in the US Soccer pyramid

WINGER: Christian Pulisic (23), Tim Weah (22), Jonathan Lewis (25)

Pulisic was an easy pick even back in 2018 but Weah was a solid choice.  Lewis is in the next tier that probably won't ever make the break through to the A team, especially at winger

CENTER FORWARD: Josh Sargent (22), Jozy Altidore (32)

Not a terrible guess especially considering that players like Dike, Pefok and Gioacchini were not on the radar in 2018.

For those that have cautioned to not expect much at the WC next year for the US, the Turkey team is a good parallel.  They are a talented, young team, ranked similar to the US. 

I believe they are the second youngest (or maybe even the youngest) at the Euro and have already lost twice.   And even as young as Turkey are, the US is almost a full year younger than they are on average.

For those that have cautioned to not expect much at the WC next year for the US, the Turkey team is a good parallel.  They are a talented, young team, ranked similar to the US. 

I believe they are the second youngest (or maybe even the youngest) at the Euro and have already lost twice.   And even as young as Turkey are, the US is almost a full year younger than they are on average.
I don't know much about the Turkey side but I assume they have less champions league minutes.  Do they have Weston/Dest/Pulisic/Gio type quality?

I don't know much about the Turkey side but I assume they have less champions league minutes.  Do they have Weston/Dest/Pulisic/Gio type quality?
I like our collection better but they have good talent. 

Multiple players at Lille (including their leading scorer), Juventus, Milan, players in Bundesliga and EPL.

Good feature on Leon Flach in the Athletic.  I won’t post the whole thing since it’s behind a paywall, but a few choice quotes from Jim Curtin:

Honestly, we thought we were getting a good kind of role player that could play multiple positions,” said Curtin. “I did not think we were getting what we got, which is a guy who can dominate MLS games by himself.” 

He can shut down the top opponent, the top No. 10 of the other team and is so smart and so disciplined and such a team-oriented guy,” said Curtin. “If (Alejandro) Bedoya or Jamiro go out wide, Flach will cover for him and do the dirty running. For a kid who just turned 20, you’re kind of going, ‘Whoa. This guy’s soccer IQ is off the charts.’ He’s already on the full national team’s radar, which is a gift and a curse for the Philadelphia Union because he can disappear for quite a bit in this busy summer, but I’m really proud of how he’s come into the team.” 

NewlyRetired said:
Yup, Canada would be fine there.  I have a feeling Canada might be in KC but that is based on nothing real.
I’d save KC for one of the Central America teams, and then use Columbus, Nashville and Cincinnati for the other three.  Austin for Canada, Minnesota for Mexico, and either Seattle/Portland for Jamaica

Users who are viewing this thread