What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (16 Viewers)

That's actually a pretty fun lineup.
I'd love to see it.

Can someone remind me why our Olympic group didn't look more like this?  I know the Olympic squad selection is kind of a punching bag, but I assume there actually were reasons most of these guys weren't there?

Felipe Cárdenas@FelipeCar

Mexico has been sanctioned by FIFA for the ongoing homophobic fan chant, according to @ale_orvananos

As punishment, #ElTri will play without fans during their first two World Cup Qualifiers against Jamaica and Panama in September.
Whoa.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow!  That is a large loss of revenue.  Wiki says the first two home games are against Jamaica and Canada, two teams who could be in the top half of the ocho.  So there is a mistake some where. 

I figure if FIFA is going this far, the next step may be deduction of points, so Mexico has to figure this out and quick.   If their fans do this again in the Gold Cup they could be in bigger trouble.

Can someone remind me why our Olympic group didn't look more like this?  I know the Olympic squad selection is kind of a punching bag, but I assume there actually were reasons most of these guys weren't there?
It is the same question we all asked before.  Outside of Kreis simply picking the wrong players across the board, I don't know whom else to blame or what caused that roster to be wrong in so many spots.

I guess maybe some of the young guys did not pop until the start of this season and such may have been considered too big a risk?  I don't know.  

wow!  That is a large loss of revenue.  Wiki says the first two home games are against Jamaica and Canada, two teams who could be in the top half of the ocho.  So there is a mistake some where. 

I figure if FIFA is going this far, the next step may be deduction of points, so Mexico has to figure this out and quick.   If their fans do this again in the Gold Cup they could be in bigger trouble.
ok the games are against Jamaica and Canada.   And I found this below in an article about the subject....I wonder if this is going to be enough of a threat to make the fans wake up....?

=============

According to FIFA's statutes on discrimination, more severe punishments may be given for future breaches in order to stamp out the behavior. Those include a reduction in points in official tournaments, including World Cup qualifiers, or Mexico being banned entirely from any tournament under FIFA's purview, including the World Cup itself.

I had originally bought into the idea of using split squads for the tournaments this summer but now I am starting to question it seeing that every other teams have almost all their best players listed on the provisional Gold Cup rosters where we don't.

I would hate to see the nice momentum we built up halted with a quarter final loss to a loaded Jamaican team, or Costa Rica with all their players like Navas available (and actually trying unlike the last friendly).

NewlyRetired said:
I guess maybe some of the young guys did not pop until the start of this season and such may have been considered too big a risk?  I don't know.  
Was thinking about this, and I bet some of it is what you're talking about here -- would anyone really have considered Busio a year ago?

Sort of related, you can't throw a bunch of guys together at the last minute and call them a team.  So the U-23 pool was probably set some time ago -- maybe even for the entire cycle -- and it wasn't going to include a bunch of U-21 guys.

NewlyRetired said:
I had originally bought into the idea of using split squads for the tournaments this summer but now I am starting to question it seeing that every other teams have almost all their best players listed on the provisional Gold Cup rosters where we don't.

I would hate to see the nice momentum we built up halted with a quarter final loss to a loaded Jamaican team, or Costa Rica with all their players like Navas available (and actually trying unlike the last friendly).
This is what I was asking earlier. It seems we are blowing off a major tournament.

I can't speak for Mexico, but I'd just wager that most CONCACAF nations don't have an idea of the next 60 players on their list after their first choice teams.  So might as well name your top players and hope some clubs are understanding.

This is what I was asking earlier. It seems we are blowing off a major tournament.
I can't say I entirely agree with it but this is what I think the thought process is:

The top players needed some time off before they rejoined their club teams.  And while we love the fact that our players are now finally on top teams in top leagues, that comes with the obvious risk that at any moment they could lose their spot, and that goes for everyone from Pulisic on down.

It could be that GGG believes it has more long term benefit to the National Team make sure our top players do everything that they can to keep their minutes up on their Euro teams than it is to have them play together again in the Gold Cup.

As I said at the beginning, I can't say whether I totally agree with it, but I do have to acknowledge that the choice may have some merit.

I guess we see what happens when the fall comes around and then retroactively grade GGG on the decision.   

Personally, after looking across the rosters, I am not setting my expectations high for the US in the Gold Cup (unless during final rosters, the other teams top players also don't get rostered, then all bets are off).

Assist by Caden.

But what a strike. That thing stayed a foot and a half off the ground for 25 yards until it hit the net.
of the babies, Clark jumps off the screen every time I watch him.   I think he is every bit as good, or better than Aaronson was at the same point in their MLS careers, and Clark is a year younger than Aaronson was when he entered MLS (that year gap is massive at this age).

of the babies, Clark jumps off the screen every time I watch him.   I think he is every bit as good, or better than Aaronson was at the same point in their MLS careers, and Clark is a year younger than Aaronson was when he entered MLS (that year gap is massive at this age).
I bet Clark's parents or agents are lying about his birth year and he's really 24.

NewlyRetired said:
ok the games are against Jamaica and Canada.   And I found this below in an article about the subject....I wonder if this is going to be enough of a threat to make the fans wake up....?

=============

According to FIFA's statutes on discrimination, more severe punishments may be given for future breaches in order to stamp out the behavior. Those include a reduction in points in official tournaments, including World Cup qualifiers, or Mexico being banned entirely from any tournament under FIFA's purview, including the World Cup itself.
I don't see how FIFA can enforce this unless it happens on their home soil.  Some major profiling going on here.

Ill be yelling puto at every mex game from here on out
I was kind of thinking along those lines.  Put a bunch of our well tanned fans in Mexico jerseys.

Really not sure why it's such an issue unless you think cursing in general should draw a ban.  Plenty of "F ________" chants at other US sports.  Personally I could live with puto if they found a way to get rid of throwing objects at the players.

I was kind of thinking along those lines.  Put a bunch of our well tanned fans in Mexico jerseys.

Really not sure why it's such an issue unless you think cursing in general should draw a ban.  Plenty of "F ________" chants at other US sports.  Personally I could live with puto if they found a way to get rid of throwing objects at the players.
You really dont see the difference between swearing at somebody generally and this?

That really shouldn't be an assist unless this guy gets an assist.
Clark made the key play in the build up.  The spin was absolute class and instinct combined.  It immediately opened the entire field of play.  The room he created for Duncan was excellent.

Obviously Duncan did the heavy lifting on the play, but that goal does not happen with out Clark's skill.  And that is a instinctual skill we are starting to see more and more from the younger players.

You really dont see the difference between swearing at somebody generally and this?
Well the word has 20 meanings from coward to kitty to intercourse to male prostitute to gay.  I always assumed it was along this line NSFW Carlin  If you have a link to where it's use in a soccer chant specifically became anti-gay I'd be interested in getting educated on the issue.  Hanging with the younger Mexicans years ago I heard it frequently.

And I have no problem banning it along with any profanity chants.  I could also live with it, if it means Gio doesn't lose an eyeball.

Clark made the key play in the build up.  The spin was absolute class and instinct combined.  It immediately opened the entire field of play.  The room he created for Duncan was excellent.

Obviously Duncan did the heavy lifting on the play, but that goal does not happen with out Clark's skill.  And that is a instinctual skill we are starting to see more and more from the younger players.
I've seen "hockey" assists that were more instrumental in a goal.  It was a nice play, just having fun with an "assist" happening 10 seconds before the goal.

Well the word has 20 meanings from coward to kitty to intercourse to male prostitute to gay.  I always assumed it was along this line NSFW Carlin  If you have a link to where it's use in a soccer chant specifically became anti-gay I'd be interested in getting educated on the issue.  Hanging with the younger Mexicans years ago I heard it frequently.

And I have no problem banning it along with any profanity chants.  I could also live with it, if it means Gio doesn't lose an eyeball.
This is a pretty good article on the subject.  Interestingly this chant only started back in 2003. 

https://www.outsports.com/2014/6/18/5819316/mexican-soccer-fans-puto-gay-slur-world-cup-brazil

This is a pretty good article on the subject.  Interestingly this chant only started back in 2003. 

https://www.outsports.com/2014/6/18/5819316/mexican-soccer-fans-puto-gay-slur-world-cup-brazil
Thanks for posting.

Not a hill I want to die on, but I did find this interesting....CONAPRED, the Mexican federal department charged with eliminating discrimination condemns the use of puta, saying that it "reflects homophobia, sexism and misogyny that still is prevalent in our society."

It will be interesting to see if this penalty resolves the issue.

Thanks for posting.

Not a hill I want to die on, but I did find this interesting....CONAPRED, the Mexican federal department charged with eliminating discrimination condemns the use of puta, saying that it "reflects homophobia, sexism and misogyny that still is prevalent in our society."

It will be interesting to see if this penalty resolves the issue.
We may find out soon.  The massive crowds that Mexico will draw in the Gold Cup will give us a very quick read of the situation.

USMNT

@USMNTTAKES

Full agreement for Konrad de la Fuente. Marseille and FC Barcelona have reached an agreement of around 3.5M € ! The player will commit for 4 seasons with Marseille ! He will have the medical examination at the beginning of next week

I think every one on here except Lindsey was on the Gold Cup provisional roster.  Only 1 player on this list was on the Olympic team...

===========

Tutul Rahman

@tutulismyname

Top US u21 players this MLS season (fotmob)

1) Busio - 7.59

2) Araujo - 7.58

3) Clark - 7.53

4) Amaya - 7.39

5) Flach - 7.26

6) Bassett -7.14

7) Bello - 7.12

8] Vines - 7.06

9) Lindsey - 7.06

10) Sands - 6.89

This is the correct way to look at things IMO.   I don't believe the Gold Cup is likely to go well but it doesn't have to thankfully.

==============================

YankReport

@ReportYank

It feels good heading into a Gold Cup looking for players to patch holes rather than looking for saviors for the National Team.

Costa Rica has a new coach

==================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

Costa Rica has its new head coach, former Honduras (and Ecuador) head coach Luis Fernando Suarez. Suarez led Ecuador to the 2006 World Cup & Honduras to the 2014 WC. Getting Costa Rica to the 2022 WC won't be easy (especially with Canada blossoming).

Costa Rica has a new coach

==================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

Costa Rica has its new head coach, former Honduras (and Ecuador) head coach Luis Fernando Suarez. Suarez led Ecuador to the 2006 World Cup & Honduras to the 2014 WC. Getting Costa Rica to the 2022 WC won't be easy (especially with Canada blossoming).
Great signing.  I don't remember much of the 2006 Ecuador team, but getting that 2014 Honduras team to the World Cup was a masterclass.

I wonder if Sebastian Berhalter had a few starts for Austin this year if dad would have put him on the provisional roster...He has been a sub all year so far I think.

Users who are viewing this thread