What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

If that's actually their gold cup team, they're only 3 starters different than what they put on the field in the NL final.
I don't have any good feelings that we will be in the finals against them but Chucky and Tecatito going at what ever 4 defenders we pluck from the provisional roster is down right scary.

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

Pablo Longoria, president of Olympique de Marseille, on Konrad de la Fuente "We watched him all year round. It all came about thanks to a good personal relationship, coordination with FC Barcelona and the power of attraction of OM."

Konrad is set to be announced tomorrow.

Paraphrasing here:

GGG said on the podcast that the team he fielded during Nations League was the 3rd or 4th youngest in the entire world over the past year.  He mentioned that only Bangladesh and Thailand were younger (neither of these teams are ranked in the top 100 in the world).

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
nice trend

========

ChuckMe92 Soccer

@ChuckMe92Soccer

Nine American U23 MLS first-team signings have been sold to Europe since 2019.

Adams to Leipzig

Richards to Bayern

Durkin to Sint-Truiden

Cannon to Boavista

Scally to Gladbach

Aaronson to Salzburg

McKenzie to Genk

Reynolds to Roma

Clark to Leipzig

Canada is in the US group for Gold Cup (last game of group stage).  If US gets out of the group (which they should even if not first) they will likely play either CR or Jamaica in knock out stage.

==========

[@iMiaSanMia] Alphonso Davies will miss the start of preseason as he will be with Canada at the Gold Cup starting on July 10 [Kicker]

Last edited by a moderator:
They must think really highly of Clark if they're skipping the Salzburg step.  That's great news.  
 I am not that familiar with their transfers.  Does Red Bull normally transfer to Salzburg first?

The only other MLS Red Bull player who went to another Red Bull team was Adams and he took the same path as Clark.

I am not that familiar with their transfers.  Does Red Bull normally transfer to Salzburg first?

The only other MLS Red Bull player who went to another Red Bull team was Adams and he took the same path as Clark.
No, I think that maybe that's their path for NYRB players is to keep them in NY until they feel they're ready for the Leipzig.  I was just alluding to how Aaronson was bought by Salzburg first(though he wasn't a NY player).  They also put Haaland in RBS instead of RBL.  Same with Luka Sucic.  Just feels like young kids with potential are more likely to be bought by RBS, so was surprised Clark was purchased by RBL instead.  Again, this might be because they control him already at NYRB and can keep him there until he's ready.

Love the USL -> MLS -> Big5 pipeline that's emerged.  Lets kids get PT and still get where they need to be on time.
Ironically this may the very last player who takes that path.  MLS is ending its relationship with USL.

Starting next season, I think the more common path will be this

academy - MLS reserve league - MLS - Europe

Ross Fisher

@RossFisher23

#Juventus midfielder Weston McKennie is speaking to Dallas media for the first time since leaving #FCDallas. McKennie says if his dad wasn't deployed in Germany with the Air Force, he would be in the NFL right now.

McKennie says he felt like a fan boy his first time meeting Ronaldo, but that his relationship with him has come on strong. The #USMNT midfielder says Ronaldo has taught him a lot in regards to dedication and professionalism.

McKennie said he can't venture into Turin much, because even with a mask and hat on, he gets recognized and stopped every 10 meters. He said people in Italy are so passionate that they will follow him into stores to meet him, and that even his dogs are famous in Turin.

McKennie believes that his and #Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic's success in Europe has helped get rid of the stigma in Europe that Americans aren't good at soccer.

No surprise and I hope this does not come back to bite me but I don't think it is a huge loss either

===============================

[Kevin Baxter] Tata Martino on whether Efrain Alvarez will play for the USMNT or Mexico: "Efraín is 100% ours. Today there is no 50-50, no 60-40 He is a footballer that I have already taken on a tour last year, who has participated and will surely continue to do so soon."

No, I think that maybe that's their path for NYRB players is to keep them in NY until they feel they're ready for the Leipzig.  I was just alluding to how Aaronson was bought by Salzburg first(though he wasn't a NY player).  They also put Haaland in RBS instead of RBL.  Same with Luka Sucic.  Just feels like young kids with potential are more likely to be bought by RBS, so was surprised Clark was purchased by RBL instead.  Again, this might be because they control him already at NYRB and can keep him there until he's ready.
Ernst Tanner (Union’s technical director) came from Salzburg where he held the same position.  So he has his own contacts there, plus Jesse Marsch being the coach there until recently helped with the transition.

eta - actually Tanner was Academy Director at Salzburg.  He had a similar position to the Union prior to that at Hoffenheim

No surprise and I hope this does not come back to bite me but I don't think it is a huge loss either

===============================

[Kevin Baxter] Tata Martino on whether Efrain Alvarez will play for the USMNT or Mexico: "Efraín is 100% ours. Today there is no 50-50, no 60-40 He is a footballer that I have already taken on a tour last year, who has participated and will surely continue to do so soon."
I think Alvarez is the best U20 player currently in North America.  He's not on Gio's level and is slightly below Aaronson IMO, but he's better than any U20 we have playing in MLS or Liga MX.  I think it's a huge loss personally.  He captained the US U15 team and they won two tourneys with him doing so.  Then he switched to Mexico U15 and they beat us in a tourney.  I think he's got the potential to be the best player on the field for Mexico in 5-6 years and stealing him would've been a huge boon to us.

I think Alvarez is the best U20 player currently in North America.  He's not on Gio's level and is slightly below Aaronson IMO, but he's better than any U20 we have playing in MLS or Liga MX.
I am super high on Clark.  I would put some real good money that in 3 years Clark ends up the better player.

Alvarez is certainly good but at 19, he is hardly lighting up MLS in any way.  He has only 2 MLS goals in 3 seasons as an attacking player.

He is just really an average winger in the league, which at 19 is nothing to sneeze at but he has less effect on MLS games than either Clark or Cowell or even Paredes do right now IMO.  

I am super high on Clark.  I would put some real good money that in 3 years Clark ends up the better player.

Alvarez is certainly good but at 19, he is hardly lighting up MLS in any way.  He has only 2 MLS goals in 3 seasons as an attacking player.

He is just really an average winger in the league, which at 19 is nothing to sneeze at but he has less effect on MLS games than either Clark or Cowell or even Paredes do right now IMO.  
Clark is having an amazing season and he's obviously very talented.  I'd put him right up there with Alvarez in terms of skill.  You point to his lack of goals, but Diego Lainez has only 7 goals in 6 seasons in his career and yet he was the most dangerous player on the field when he came on for Mexico in the NL final.  

I haven't watched a ton of Galaxy games, so maybe it's just a product of seeing him when he's playing well, but Alvarez has stood out to me multiple times while watching LA.  I think he's got the potential to be special and even if he isn't on the level of the top US prospects, stealing him still would've upset El Tri and I'm all for that.

We wouldn't even be talking about Alvarez if he wasn't a dual national. He is nowhere near the senior team imo. 

We wouldn't even be talking about Alvarez if he wasn't a dual national. He is nowhere near the senior team imo. 
This is probably true.  Technically he is very good but being a winger is a REALLY hard position to break into for the US.  Weah plays for the best team in France and he might be our 4th best winger right now.

Yeah, I'm kinda over Alvarez as well. He was exciting a couple of years ago but now he's 19 and still not anywhere close to dominating MLS. 

Just kinda seems like he stalled out. 

:(

===========

Julia Poe

@byjuliapoe

Daryl Dike exiting the stadium right now with his left leg wrapped from the knee down. Walking pretty gingerly on it.

Responses to the tweet make it seem like no big deal. There's zero news of an injury anywhere. It seems like a nothingburger. 
I did not watch game but I did see people say he looked physically uncomfortable when he was subbed out in the 64th minute.  Hopefully it is just a knock.

I love how all the various USMNt twitter fan accounts have gone into full stalker mode trying to figure out who the girl was that was with Pulisic at the Orlando-Miami game last night. :)

@Ned or anyone else knowledgeable, can you explain to me how academies work in terms of turn over?

Is it set up like a pyramid with many young teams that are slowly over the years reduced to 1 team of players by U19?

Or is it 1 team at each level and each year players who don't look like they have it are not invited back and replaced with others?

Or maybe a combo of the two?

Busio to Sassulo for ~$6-7MM.
Nice!   A mid tier Serie A team with hopes of Europa. 

I have no where near the knowledge needed to know if the teams make up will allow him some minutes but I do love the type of team he is going to.

I don't know if Reynolds is going to get any time with Roma but if he does we are going to be paying more attention to Serie A than ever before.

I wonder if this though will prevent him from playing in the Gold Cup if Sassulo want him for preseason....

@Ned or anyone else knowledgeable, can you explain to me how academies work in terms of turn over?

Is it set up like a pyramid with many young teams that are slowly over the years reduced to 1 team of players by U19?

Or is it 1 team at each level and each year players who don't look like they have it are not invited back and replaced with others?

Or maybe a combo of the two?
Zone 1 (U-8 through U-12) are giant pools of kids that are rotated around on various levels of teams within their age groups. No real dedicated A team, B, C.

The jump to Zone 2 (U-13 and older) sees the competition ramp up with a healthy cut down of players when they graduate from U-12 to U-13 (first year on the full sized field). As they progress through the age groups it gets pretty cut throat where kids are dropped and added frequently. 

At least with the Union, I know their academy setup has a large scouting network with scouts embedded within local clubs. Our club in particular has at least 6 coaches who are also union scouts. 

With Clark and Busio widely being considered obvious next choices to head overseas , now it gets interesting.

Pick 3-4 players under 20 who are the next most likely to make the leap to a Big-5 team?

With Clark and Busio widely being considered obvious next choices to head overseas , now it gets interesting.

Pick 3-4 players under 20 who are the next most likely to make the leap to a Big-5 team?
This is hard since so many have already gone over in the last 12 months.

I guess Justin Che is an obvious choice but after that I kind of blank.

I am not too high on Cowell so far but maybe the man child is impressing others at just 17.

I am not too high on Cowell so far but maybe the man child is impressing others at just 17.
Right, much harder now that Reynolds, Clark and Busio are gone.

Hopefully there's a next generation of 16-18 year olds we don't know enough about yet to say.

Hopefully there's a next generation of 16-18 year olds we don't know enough about yet to say.
I agree.  This was the point I was making earlier about how missing out on all the youth qualifying and WC's due to covid has lowered our knowledge level of this age group of players.

I'm the opposite.  I'm quite intrigued by Cowell.  He has something that I don't think we have from any of our forwards.  Size/pace/skills in 1 package if developed correctly and he continues to progress.

Users who are viewing this thread