What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

There is a negative buzz on twitter (yes, more negative than normal) right now that people are expecting the roster to have almost no young players on it.

I don't know if this is based on leaks from yesterdays delay or just pure speculation.

We should know in 13 or so minutes.

USMNT GOLD CUP ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United; 64/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (8): George Bello (Atlanta United; 1/0), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 18/1), Shaq Moore (Tenerife/ESP; 5/0), Donovan Pines (D.C. United; 0/0), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 3/1), James Sands (New York City FC; 0/0), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; 3/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 14/2)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 31/2), Gianluca Busio (Sporting Kansas City; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 24/7), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 20/0), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; 0/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 12/0)

FORWARDS: (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 35/8), Daryl Dike (Orlando City; 3/1), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen/FRA; 3/2), Matthew Hoppe (Schalke/GER; 0/0), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 7/2), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew; 56/12)

first glance I am happy.  Plenty of young players, Bello, Cannon, Moore, Robinson, Sands, Vines, Busio etc.

Not a fan that Yueill was called again but he did not bump either Busio or Williamson, so that is good.

Only two natural wingers is very odd though.  This tells me we may not see the typical 3 up top like we normally do under GGG

Last edited by a moderator:
with out know what formation he would play, here is my guess if GGG uses his normal 4-1-2-3 formation

......................................Turner

..Cannon..........Zimmerman......Robinson........Vines/Bello

........................................Busio

.......................Acosta........................LLetget

Nips................................Dike............................Lewis

USMNT GOLD CUP ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United; 64/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (8): George Bello (Atlanta United; 1/0), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 18/1), Shaq Moore (Tenerife/ESP; 5/0), Donovan Pines (D.C. United; 0/0), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 3/1), James Sands (New York City FC; 0/0), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; 3/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 14/2)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 31/2), Gianluca Busio (Sporting Kansas City; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 24/7), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 20/0), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; 0/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 12/0)

FORWARDS: (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 35/8), Daryl Dike (Orlando City; 3/1), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen/FRA; 3/2), Matthew Hoppe (Schalke/GER; 0/0), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 7/2), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew; 56/12)
--  Decent amount of youth.  Pleased.

--  I don't know anything about Shaq Moore or Pines

-- ####### Yueill.  If he gets significant PT.....

-- Busio better get extensive PT

-- I'd like to see a good bit of Bello and Robinson.  I'd also like to see more of Gioacchini.

with out know what formation he would play, here is my guess if GGG uses his normal 4-1-2-3 formation

......................................Turner

..Cannon..........Zimmerman......Robinson........Vines/Bello

........................................Busio

.......................Acosta........................LLetget

Nips................................Dike............................Lewis
Want to see this for Busio obviously so I can see if and how his game would translate to a level like this.

--  Decent amount of youth.  Please.

--  I don't know anything about Shaq Moore or Pines

-- ####### Yueill.  If he gets significant PT.....

-- Busio better get extensive PT

-- I'd like to see a good bit of Bello and Robinson.  I'd also like to see more of Gioacchini.
Yep. How the heck do they not see that he is terrible.

Cowell I can kind of understand since there seems to be an abundance of strikers on the roster (for some odd reason).  

Clark missing makes no sense (at least on the surface) with only two natural wingers on the roster and Clark is already arguably better than both even with no international experience. 

Cowell I can kind of understand since there seems to be an abundance of strikers on the roster (for some odd reason).  

Clark missing makes no sense (at least on the surface) with only two natural wingers on the roster and Clark is already arguably better than both even with no international experience. 
Sciaretta is saying Clark has not yet recovered from the appendectomy.

It is taking me a while to process this.

No Green is a surprise to me. 

No Mueller (again the lack of wingers is making me scratch my head).

No Flach 

I guess with such a huge preliminary roster, many players were going to be missing 

Obviously some good, some bad.

Glad that they brought in Cannon. He shouldn't be "above" playing on this roster, as he still has a lot to prove.

Glad Busio is there, obviously Williamson as well.

Agreed that this screams "different formation" due to the lack of wings. I wonder if they'd play Dike and Hoppe together.

The bad....

Yuell and Roldan seem pointless. Why not bring Pomykal or literally anyone else?

Zardes seems likely to play since they brought him. I imagine Lewis will play as well.

As others have stated, no Clark or Cowell sucks.

I can't wait until we trot out

------Turner----
Cannon---Zimm-Pines---Vines

--------Yueill---Acosta---
Llegett---Roldan-----Arriola
----------Zardes-----

against Mexico.

I thought Dotson would secure a spot after looking good in Olympic qualifying. It was a pipe dream, but I thought Aaronson might be featured on this roster to raise his profile.

my expectations have not changed even after seeing the roster.

The teams should win its first two games.

It will struggle against Canada likely

And the quarter final will probably be hard against either Costa Rica or Jamaica.

I can't wait until we trot out

------Turner----
Cannon---Zimm-Pines---Vines

--------Yueill---Acosta---
Llegett---Roldan-----Arriola
----------Zardes-----

against Mexico.
If we play Mexico, that means we have made at least the semi final, which would be roughly satisfactory with this specific group of talent.

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Matt Miazga, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Erik Palmer-Brown, Johnny Cardoso and Bryan Reynolds are some of the players Berhalter said he didn't want to take away from their clubs at this point.

here is the winger answer

==============

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

Gregg Berhalter notes that Matthew Hoppe will be used as a left winger and Nicholas Gioacchini as a right winger by the #USMNT at the Gold Cup. The available natural wing options are a bit thin for the Gold Cup so Hoppe and Gioacchini will be used out wide.

here is the winger answer

==============

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

Gregg Berhalter notes that Matthew Hoppe will be used as a left winger and Nicholas Gioacchini as a right winger by the #USMNT at the Gold Cup. The available natural wing options are a bit thin for the Gold Cup so Hoppe and Gioacchini will be used out wide.
Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do there.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do there.
I know almost nothing about Gioacchini outside of the few minutes he has played striker for the US.  I guess he plays some wing at his club.

I think Hoppe has enough mobility to be useful on the left wing.

damn, this is the item I am most bummed about.  I thought this was going to be his coming out party but now we have to wait

====================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Gregg Berhalter on Caden Clark: "It's really unfortunate with the timing of the appendectomy. He's a player I was really looking forward to working with... we know this kid has a bright future." #USMNT

Charles Boehm

@cboehm

Berhalter on Julian Araujo: "It's a case of him being a dual national and not fully ready to commit ... I can imagine when he looks at the depth of the right back position he sees a logjam, and he doesn't maybe fully see his pathway to being a starter [but] we really value him"

See ya for the first qualifier!
I hate to admit, but this is kind of my feeling about this tournament. I’m just not a strong enough supporter to watch the second/third team.  Even harder to invite some of my fringe fan friends over and have to explain it all. Will probably watch if the times are convenient. 

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Berhalter - "At centerback, we're thin." Says Sands and Pines are inexperienced internationally while saying Robinson and Zimmerman are the starters.

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

While Araujo won't be cap-tied, the following dual nationals are willing & likely to be cap-tied to the #USMNT at the GC

1) Turner (Lithuania)

2) Dike (Nigeria)

3) Bello (Nigeria)

4) Busio (Italy)

5) Gioacchini (Italy & Jamaica)

6) Moore (T&T)

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

While Araujo won't be cap-tied, the following dual nationals are willing & likely to be cap-tied to the #USMNT at the GC

1) Turner (Lithuania)

2) Dike (Nigeria)

3) Bello (Nigeria)

4) Busio (Italy)

5) Gioacchini (Italy & Jamaica)

6) Moore (T&T)
Was looking for a list like this.  Thanks.  Will be nice to have all of them cap-tied.  

Charles Boehm

@cboehm

Berhalter on Julian Araujo: "It's a case of him being a dual national and not fully ready to commit ... I can imagine when he looks at the depth of the right back position he sees a logjam, and he doesn't maybe fully see his pathway to being a starter [but] we really value him"
Can he play left back?  I see a path there...  still...  and always...  it seems.

Was looking for a list like this.  Thanks.  Will be nice to have all of them cap-tied.  
The new cap tying rules continue to confuse me as they are so poorly written. 

Before the rewrite, the very first appearance in the Gold Cup would have cap tied you.  I don't know if it is still that way or if you need multiple games now.

Does anyone know?

The turn around is remarkable now.  Some of our young players see an easier path to the first team in Mexico than for the US.
Probably seems arrogant, but this should have been our expectation.

We are doing something wrong if we are not a shoe-in to advance past the WC group stage every tournament IMHO.  Our country has too many advantages for anything less.   Anything less reeks of gross mismanagement.

So I'm a very casual fan, but was trying to figure out the WC2022 qualifying process.

The Gold Cup is a separate contest, correct?  I'm just seeing the dates for the Gold Cup in July, but WC Qualifying doesn't start until September, correct (even thought the final 8 is set)?

It is just confusing to see all of this kind of overlap...if I'm even understanding it all correctly.
don't feel bad, it is really confusing :)

The Gold Cup is separate from World Cup Qualifying.  The Gold Cup is our regional tournament (like the Euro Championship on TV now for Europe or Copa America for South America.)

So nothing that happens in the Gold Cup effects World Cup Qualifying (which is one of the reasons the US team is fielding a much weaker side in the Gold Cup than they will for World Cup Qualifying starting this fall).

And you are correct, the final 8 for WCQing starts in September.  14 total games and top 3 teams of the 8 after the 14 games are complete, qualify for the WC.  The US will play the other 7 teams in the group once at home and once away.

The most important pieces of the Gold Cup are this

1) Does Turner's skills translate at the Concacaf level

2) Continue to look for a #9

3) Find a back up for Adams beyond Acosta

4) Find some depth at LB

If Yueill gets chosen over either Busio or Williamson, I will be bummed since I think we already know what we need to know about Yueill.  He was weak in Olympic qualifying and he was no better in Nations League.  I would hate to see more minutes wasted on him when we have others than need their opportunities at the 6.
so these still seem to hold up for me even after the roster release as useful positions to watch:

The players with the best chance to make an impression to make a qualifying roster are:

*Vines or Bello at LB

*Busio or Williamson at the 6 (please GGG, do not start Yueill here, these guys need minutes, we already know what Yueill provides)

*Turner to make his case for #2 or at the very least secure the #3.

* And given what GGG said about the wingers, it looks like Dike and Zardes will get their chances to show at the 9.

so these still seem to hold up for me even after the roster release as useful positions to watch:

The players with the best chance to make an impression to make a qualifying roster are:

*Vines or Bello at LB

*Busio or Williamson at the 6 (please GGG, do not start Yueill here, these guys need minutes, we already know what Yueill provides)

*Turner to make his case for #2 or at the very least secure the #3.

* And given what GGG said about this wingers, it looks like Dike and Zardes will get their chances to show at the 9.
I see Dike and Zardes being much more effective than Sargent in qualifying.   Really hoping they can leave a mark and influence GGG to stop using Sargent.   

don't feel bad, it is really confusing :)

The Gold Cup is separate from World Cup Qualifying.  The Gold Cup is our regional tournament (like the Euro Championship on TV now for Europe or Copa America for South America.)

So nothing that happens in the Gold Cup effects World Cup Qualifying (which is one of the reasons the US team is fielding a much weaker side in the Gold Cup than they will for World Cup Qualifying starting this fall).

And you are correct, the final 8 for WCQing starts in September.  14 total games and top 3 teams of the 8 after the 14 games are complete, qualify for the WC.  The US will play the other 7 teams in the group once at home and once away.
Thanks.

I have now spent the last hour or so getting familiar with the various qualifying procedures for each region.

Where do we think the USMNT odds lie?  50/50 or better?

Where do we think the USMNT odds lie?  50/50 or better?
Are you asking odds to qualify?  It should be very high.  

We have the best group of talent we have ever had going into this qualifying cycle.  The only issue is experience in that almost every one is WAY younger than you normally see in a qualifying game.

That being said, I tend to lean conservative but I would still say no lower than 85-90% to qualify.  The amount of items that have to go wrong to miss out are significant.   

But we also play in the craziest region in the world so crazy things happen :)

Thanks.

I have now spent the last hour or so getting familiar with the various qualifying procedures for each region.
fabulous!

Keep asking any questions you have, we love seeing new fans.  Qualifying is a brilliant process to watch play out all over the world.

Charles Boehm

@cboehm

Berhalter on Matt Turner in the ongoing USMNT Gold Cup roster media call: "You know, these guys at MLSsoccer writing article after article about how good he is, the best shot stopper in the history of the league and stuff, but it to a certain extent I agree with them"

Users who are viewing this thread