What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

Philly people check in here please and please share info on De Vries if you have it.

It is being reported that not only Busio is being chased by Venezia but Jack De Vries as well. 

De Vries is a surprise to me as he does not have almost any pro experience so I don't know how he was scouted.  He does have an Euro passport which obviously makes him attractive to a Serie A team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, Dallas got a solid price on Tessman!

=============

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

One more note on the Tanner Tessmann transfer: FC Dallas will receive $4.1m up front (€3.5m) from Venezia FC plus incentives for Tessmann, per a source. The deal includes FCD retaining a sell-on %

They actually did 2018 with all 4 pots based on seeding (Wiki link).  For fairness sake I hope they continue this method in 2022.  It ends up being fairly geographically diverse anyway, as for 2018 all of South America was in Pot 1 or Pot 2, and Asia and Africa were all in Pot 3 or Pot 4.
Just to add a bit on here, If they keep the pots for 2022, my understanding is that the US has a decent chance to make pot 2 (depending on qualifying results, obviously), which would make being placed in a group of death situation quite unlikely (you basically are just hoping to dodge the 1 or 2 UEFA teams that seem to inevitably end up with a strangely low ranking).  This adds some urgency to qualify strongly, as if they end up in pot 3 they are almost guaranteed to have at least two teams from UEFA/Conmebol in their group.  While I believe if healthy this team should have enough talent to have a legit chance to advance out of any group, obviously advancing out of a group with 2 (or even 3 with some really bad luck) strong teams is a lot harder.

Just to add a bit on here, If they keep the pots for 2022, my understanding is that the US has a decent chance to make pot 2 (depending on qualifying results, obviously), which would make being placed in a group of death situation quite unlikely (you basically are just hoping to dodge the 1 or 2 UEFA teams that seem to inevitably end up with a strangely low ranking).  This adds some urgency to qualify strongly, as if they end up in pot 3 they are almost guaranteed to have at least two teams from UEFA/Conmebol in their group.  While I believe if healthy this team should have enough talent to have a legit chance to advance out of any group, obviously advancing out of a group with 2 (or even 3 with some really bad luck) strong teams is a lot harder.
Am I correct that even if they do use rankings for all pots, that they make sure that there is still regional bias, ie they won't allow 2 Concacaf teams in the same group even if that is how the balls bounced for example?

Or is it now true seedings with no regional bias and what ever ball comes out is final?

Oh wow, Dallas got a solid price on Tessman!

=============

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

One more note on the Tanner Tessmann transfer: FC Dallas will receive $4.1m up front (€3.5m) from Venezia FC plus incentives for Tessmann, per a source. The deal includes FCD retaining a sell-on %
This is so cool.  We are seeing players being transferred for solid money who are so far off our depth chart that they did not even make a Gold Cup squad missing all the regular players.

Or should they have been on the Gold Cup roster?  
I thought Tessman was just "ok" during the Olympic qualifying failure for what little time he got.  He does not jump off the screen the way say Busio has this season so I can't say really. 

He clearly interested Venezia enough though so he may have a lot more than my eye sees.

Umm.  Hey guys.  Don't mean to be "that guy", but can we please keep the World Cup draw seeding talk until next summer?  

#yesImsuperstitiousdealwithit

Who do you think we’ll play in the first knockout round final? 

FYP
More importantly, where will the parade be? Washington, DC makes sense as the capital, NY makes sense because it’s an epicenter. Maybe there can be a national tour?

Am I correct that even if they do use rankings for all pots, that they make sure that there is still regional bias, ie they won't allow 2 Concacaf teams in the same group even if that is how the balls bounced for example?

Or is it now true seedings with no regional bias and what ever ball comes out is final?
Not wanting to be the reason that we don't make the world cup, I'll make this my last post on the topic.  From what I remember you are correct, but all of the FIFA links to the draw process are broken so I can't verify for sure.  But between my memory and the fact that if you look over all of the groups there are not two teams from the same non-UEFA region in any of them, I think you are right, as that would be almost impossible statistically if there weren't regional restrictions.

Not wanting to be the reason that we don't make the world cup, I'll make this my last post on the topic.  From what I remember you are correct, but all of the FIFA links to the draw process are broken so I can't verify for sure.  But between my memory and the fact that if you look over all of the groups there are not two teams from the same non-UEFA region in any of them, I think you are right, as that would be almost impossible statistically if there weren't regional restrictions.
Definitely split up by region intentionally.

Philly people check in here please and please share info on De Vries if you have it.

It is being reported that not only Busio is being chased by Venezia but Jack De Vries as well. 

De Vries is a surprise to me as he does not have almost any pro experience so I don't know how he was scouted.  He does have an Euro passport which obviously makes him attractive to a Serie A team.
@Ned@Ted Lange as your Bartender @DJackson10

I am planning to watch tonight, but man....10PM kickoff (hopefully) with a B team vs a relative minnow is a rough one.

If the lineup aint what I want it to be, I might bail

Thunderstorms and rain looks like they might move out of the area by kickoff. There is a slight chance during halftime or right after.

But it is Kansas City is summer: things may change in an instant.

Like you said, he only has four matches of experience with the senior club (some more with U2), all from last season.  He did look good in those appearances last year, and I thought he was going to be the Union HG to make “the leap” in 2021.

Unfortunately, he’s been in concussion protocol since preseason in March so nobody has seen him play this year.  Throw in Leon Flach being a revelation in the MF, and a loan abroad makes a lot of sense

Reynolds dressed but did not play for Roma today in their 10-0 win.

Roma only used 2 subs though. They have another friendly in a couple of days so I assume lots of changes for that one.

US will be playing a 3-5-2 as we predicted in the US thread.

.......................Turner

............Zimm.......Sands........Robinson

Moore.........................................................Bello

...............................Busio

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roldan....................Williamson

..........................Dike............Hoppe

I agree on all accounts.

I am also interested if he will go to a 3-5-2 from the start now that he hopefully knows we have very little attack on the wings from our forwards.  I would like to see something like this

.............................Turner

...........Zimmerman........Sands.......Robinson

..................................Busio

Cannon/Moore....................................................Bello

......................Acosta.................Lletget

............................Dike........Hoppe
👍

Only 4 pro games. Been in Concussion protocol since march. Young Homegrown that was suppose to start or at least contribute in the position Leon Flack is manning right now but with Flach there and JDV out of protocol a loan is a good move. Venezia have American Owners too 

At this point, my 23:

GK -- Steffen, Whorebath, Turner

D -- Dest, Cannon, A. Robinson, Brooks, Richards, Zimmerman, McKenzie

M -- McKennie, Adams, Musah, Acosta, Busio, Lletget

F -- Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Dike, Weah, Sargent, Hoppe

Would consider M Robinson instead of Sargent or Turner.

Am I forgetting someone?

ETA -- Fringe guys: Yedlin, Cowell, Clark, Reynolds, Zardes

At this point, my 23:

GK -- Steffen, Whorebath, Turner

D -- Dest, Cannon, A. Robinson, Brooks, Richards, Zimmerman, McKenzie

M -- McKennie, Adams, Musah, Acosta, Busio, Lletget

F -- Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Dike, Weah, Sargent, Hoppe

Would consider M Robinson instead of Sargent or Turner.

Am I forgetting someone?
Zardes over Weah for me.  Weah has the talent but has been overall disappointing...have to prove it on the pitch.

I thought Yedlin showed well and should be considered as a defender...he at least gives us some experienced, reliable depth as injuries are sure to come.  Yedlin has always had a place in my heart for his performance in Brazil and just his overall level of professionalism...he's a gamer.

I thought Zimmerman was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing him against Canada and Mexico.

The emergence of Busio has me breathing a little easier in case Adams is out for an important match. Kid has a rocket for a leg and while he had a few questionable/lazy passes last night he just seems to connect with everyone. Not the same physicality but developing into a solid backup. 

If Dike can continue to improve the weaker parts of his game he is going to be a freight train.

Edit - Forgot Hoppe. Very nice game. Also looking forward to seeing him against better comp.

I really liked what I saw from Hoppe. He had a confidence about him that I didn't see coming. Dude was everywhere trying ####.  I'd love to see him paired up with CP/Reyna to see what kind of chaos they can cause up top.

I thought Zimmerman was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing him against Canada and Mexico.

The emergence of Busio has me breathing a little easier in case Adams is out for an important match. Kid has a rocket for a leg and while he had a few questionable/lazy passes last night he just seems to connect with everyone. Not the same physicality but developing into a solid backup. 

If Dike can continue to improve the weaker parts of his game he is going to be a freight train.

Edit - Forgot Hoppe. Very nice game. Also looking forward to seeing him against better comp.
I was watching on my phone in the background, so have a hard time judging players and tactics, but people seem to be agreeing about Dike, Hoppe and Zim.

Busio was really up and down for me. Really didnt like how cheaply akd frequently he was giving the ball away. But liked the rest of his game.

I really liked what I saw from Hoppe. He had a confidence about him that I didn't see coming. Dude was everywhere trying ####.  I'd love to see him paired up with CP/Reyna to see what kind of chaos they can cause up top.
This is great to hear about Hoppe... I'll have to look more closely next game.

Busio was really up and down for me. Really didnt like how cheaply akd frequently he was giving the ball away. But liked the rest of his game.
Yeah, agree. This is something you don't normally see in his MLS games. Which is why he desparately needs to be sold. He needs better competition on a regular basis. 

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think he will up his game now that he knows the speed and intensity increases another notch. And it will be even greater than that come more important games. Hopefully he gets that chance to stick around.

Prefacing alllll of this with "It's Martinique...", but this is a sample of why Dike has to be considered at least 1a/1b striker option against CONCACAF foes. Moves really well for a big guy. Shrugs off three guys. Couple good touches. Easy peasy. I mean, Sargent isn't making this play, even against Martinique.

https://streamable.com/ln89ev

Prefacing alllll of this with "It's Martinique...", but this is a sample of why Dike has to be considered at least 1a/1b striker option against CONCACAF foes. Moves really well for a big guy. Shrugs off three guys. Couple good touches. Easy peasy. I mean, Sargent isn't making this play, even against Martinique.

https://streamable.com/ln89ev
nice zardozed first touch off the knee too.

Yeah, agree. This is something you don't normally see in his MLS games. Which is why he desparately needs to be sold. He needs better competition on a regular basis. 

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think he will up his game now that he knows the speed and intensity increases another notch. And it will be even greater than that come more important games. Hopefully he gets that chance to stick around.
so... this high level Martinique team forced him into making a lot of errors?

He absolutely sees harder in MLS than against a weak team like Martinique imo.  Some one just last week made an entire video of Busio showing that he loses the ball every game in MLS too easily as highlighting one of his weaknesses.

:sadbanana: this is a club that was linked to a few US MLS players...

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

Serie A club Spezia have been given a two-year FIFA-imposed transfer ban for recruiting Nigerian minors into Italy in a breach of national immigration law

Also really like what I saw from hoppe last night. Would be nice to see him play as a 9 for us at some point, because that's obviously his best spot to get into the starting 11 at some point.  Obviously we're unlikely to see that in this tournament.

At this point, there's PROBABLY (assuming everyone is healthy) only like 4 spots available in the 23. IMO, these 19 are locks.

Steffen, Horvath, Turner

Dest, Robinson, Cannon

Brooks, McKenzie

Adams, Weston, Lleget, Acosta, Musah

Pulisic, Gio, Weah, Aaronson

Sarge, Dike

Oddly enough, CB is very much up in the air. They'll probably bring 4, and I honestly have no idea who the other 2 will be. Richards, Zimmerman, Miazga are the most likely candidates. I dont think Robinson is gonna sneak in there, nor is Sands. I dont think Greg will risk it.

Would love to find a spot for Yedlin but with Dest is playing RB, I dont see see them bringing 2 backups.  I'd honestly trust Yedlin more in a must-win match than I would Cannon, but I still think he's behind him in the pecking order.

Hopefully Busio is the 6th midfielder. But with Greg, you just dont know.

They'll obviously bring at least 1 other forward. My money would be on Zardes.

Gun to my head, I think Greg's 23 will be the 19 listed above plus Zimmerman, Richards, Busio and Zardes.

Also really like what I saw from hoppe last night. Would be nice to see him play as a 9 for us at some point, because that's obviously his best spot to get into the starting 11 at some point.  Obviously we're unlikely to see that in this tournament.

At this point, there's PROBABLY (assuming everyone is healthy) only like 4 spots available in the 23. IMO, these 19 are locks.

Steffen, Horvath, Turner

Dest, Robinson, Cannon

Brooks, McKenzie

Sarge, Dike

Oddly enough, CB is very much up in the air. They'll probably bring 4, and I honestly have no idea who the other 2 will be. Richards, Zimmerman, Miazga are the most likely candidates. I dont think Robinson is gonna sneak in there, nor is Sands. I dont think Greg will risk it.

Would love to find a spot for Yedlin but with Dest is playing RB, I dont see see them bringing 2 backups.  I'd honestly trust Yedlin more in a must-win match than I would Cannon, but I still think he's behind him in the pecking order.

Gun to my head, I think Greg's 23 will be the 19 listed above plus Zimmerman, Richards, Busio and Zardes.
So, your final 23 is what I have as well except I have Hoppe instead of Zardes.

That said, I don't agree McKenzie is a lock at CB even though I'm a huge fan.

Steffen, Horvath, Turner

Dest, Robinson, Cannon

Brooks, McKenzie

Sarge, Dike

fantastic breakdown.  :thumbup:

I think the fact that he was the first choice starter in nations league makes him a lock. He wasn't amazing over those 2 games, but I think it speaks to his position in the pecking order.

I agree that GGG has a lot of tough choices at CB.  There is not a lot that separates many of the players.

Even though I agree Sands likely won't break into the main roster this year, he has shown really well.  Given his age and skill level, he could be a force in the 2026 cycle.

I want to watch Zimm extra closely now going forward as he will be facing Ocho level talent from this point on in the Gold Cup and this will be a much better evaluation of where he stands for the qualifiers.

there is a decent chance the 8 teams in the quarter final will be the exact 8 teams in the ocho.  Qatar probably has the best chance to break that block of 8.

I think the fact that he was the first choice starter in nations league makes him a lock. He wasn't amazing over those 2 games, but I think it speaks to his position in the pecking order.
Trust me, I hope you're right.  But, IIRC, Richards wasn't available.  And other than Acosta and Lletget, I don't think the US based guys were either. 

Is Musah the only player we had realistically hoped to cap tie this summer and missed out on that chance or am I forgetting some one obvious?

I agree that GGG has a lot of tough choices at CB.  There is not a lot that separates many of the players.

Even though I agree Sands likely won't break into the main roster this year, he has shown really well.  Given his age and skill level, he could be a force in the 2026 cycle.

I want to watch Zimm extra closely now going forward as he will be facing Ocho level talent from this point on in the Gold Cup and this will be a much better evaluation of where he stands for the qualifiers.
I thought Sands looked great last night and really want to see more of him against better teams. If he keeps impressing, I'd rather have him over McKenzie since he can play multiple positions.

Users who are viewing this thread