What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (14 Viewers)

Sarge and Bremen kick off things today against Hannover 96 at 2:30 Eastern. I might need @NewlyRetired to remind me of the link he uses to watch games.

ESPN+ is carrying the friendly between Dortmund and Bilbao that starts in about 40 minutes. Reyna is starting.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
I hate their arguments too, and think it makes them look ridiculous, but they're every bit entitled to use ####ty arguments to try and win a better contract as anyone else. 

Go back to the 2010 NFL labor strife for example -- 99% of what the NFL put into the public sphere was pure horse####.  And the players weren't all that far behind. 

The USSF being on terra firma is what's unusual.
Yeah, they're certainly entitled to try whatever nonsense they want. This is true.

It just cracks me up that this will likely spawn another cycle of sympathy articles by people that haven't studied the actual facts of the case.

If they were legit getting screwed over, I'd be on their side. But they're clearly not.

edit: and of course, the morons on twitter are resorting to their usual, uneducated responses

"The men's team didn't even MAKE the Olympics!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept looking for Reyna and couldn’t find him. Turns out he missed at the last minute due to some thigh issue. Must have been a really late scratch because he was even listed as a starter on the broadcast minutes before kickoff.

GGG has earned our trust with the dual nats imo. I’m sure he knows exactly where Cowell’s head is at and even coming in to train has to be a big deal for someone that young. Honestly GGG has nailed pretty much every aspect of this job other than stuff he does once the matches start. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
We gotta trust GGG with the dual nats imo. Honestly he has nailed pretty much every aspect of this job other than stuff he does once the matches start. 
I agree but I am very much preparing myself for Nips to start and blow out the hammy by minute 15 leaving us holding our collective junk again trying to figure out who can play on the wing...

:(

GGG has earned our trust with the dual nats imo. I’m sure he knows exactly where Cowell’s head is at and even coming in to train has to be a big deal for someone that young. Honestly GGG has nailed pretty much every aspect of this job other than stuff he does once the matches start. 
The same way Ochoa and Akinola bugged out?

I’ll bet anyone $100 and give you 3-1 odds that Cowell is ours and will never flip to Mexico. I don’t want more than 1500 in exposure so I’d take up to 5 bets on it. 

• Smile
Were you bummed when the lesser Roldan flipped to El Salvador? As we get better and better some of “our” guys are going to flip so they can play. Seems like a positive to me.
I actually was.  He’s been one of the best “US” players in MLS the past 12 months.  It’s just a recurring theme with our US coaches in that they don’t seem to be able to identify (or give the same chances) young Americans correctly until they’re forced to. 

I actually was.  He’s been one of the best “US” players in MLS the past 12 months.  It’s just a recurring theme with our US coaches in that they don’t seem to be able to identify (or give the same chances) young Americans correctly until they’re forced to. 
We’ll have to agree to disagree. To put it in club terms, I feel like we’re a buyer rather than a seller now. Unavoidable with how much diversity and immigration we have in this country. Cowell is 17, and seems to have really made a leap this year - we’ve done nothing wrong on that front and his chance will come. 

I mean you seriously think any of those guys had a future with the senior team? (roldan, Ochoa, akinola)

Were you bummed when the lesser Roldan flipped to El Salvador? As we get better and better some of “our” guys are going to flip so they can play. Seems like a positive to me.
100% this.  Look at our first ~15 now.  You have to be pretty damn good to think you're going to get big minutes going forward. Especially when you look at the 2003s-2004s coming through.

So more and more fringy guys are going to jump.  I'm sure some of them will pan out big too -- it's unavoidable that we'll make some mistakes and lose some late-bloomers IMO.

I mean you seriously think any of those guys had a future with the senior team? (roldan, Ochoa, akinola)
Roldan and Akinola?  No.  I don't think they'll ever be better than the 4th or 5th most talented guy in the US pool at their respective positions.

Ochoa?  Come on now.  He started for our Olympic team.  He's 20.  No one knows how good he's going to be yet, so while he'd clearly be behind Steffen, Horvath, and Turner right now we can't say for sure that will be the case in 5-10 years. 

Ochoa hasn’t officially switched yet, right? He’s smart to do his due diligence and check Mexico out. I guess if we’re expecting to bat a thousand on these…

Also, screw them if the only thing they're considering is PT.  I'm not a big RAH-RAH USA-USA-USA type outwardly, but I want us to get back to the 2006 World Cup vs Italy mentality.  We lost some of that die-for-the-flag along the line IMO.

ETA:  I do think the current team seems to get this.  Just saying that if someone doesn't want to play for the US or is willing to make a permanent switch at 18 or 20 just based on which team makes bigger promises -- let them go.

• Smile
Pefok with 2 goals and an assist in a 4-3 win in the league opener today -- including the tying and then game-winning goal in stoppage time.  I had him first up behind Sarge in my 3-deep list the other day and I think it's possible that's actually where he's sitting.  

Young boys is an upper-mid Big-5 league quality team (estimated as a top-5 team in France; mid-table in England, etc) but so much of the league competition is terrible it's a little like Aaronson in Austria.  Hard to know how to judge him. 

But he seems to be a well-rounded, high-energy guy who can score some goals at a position where we don't have a lot of options.

Any chance Pefok will move soon? I think he is under contract for a bit but he also seems to be ready for the next step 

Crap.  Pefok may have ruined this question I forgot to ask yesterday......

If you can choose any US player in Europe (any league, any division), who do you think ends the season with the most goals and assists combined in all club comps (league, cup and Europe)?

Any chance Pefok will move soon? I think he is under contract for a bit but he also seems to be ready for the next step 
Hard to say. 

If he puts in one more good year, he could see a bump in leagues but he was still on loan all of last year.  This was his first game as a true member of the team.

Crap.  Pefok may have ruined this question I forgot to ask yesterday......

If you can choose any US player in Europe (any league, any division), who do you think ends the season with the most goals and assists combined in all club comps (league, cup and Europe)?
Oh, man.  There are so many guys playing in lower level leagues now it's hard to say.  Freddy Adu probably.

In terms of the big names I think I'd go with Reyna -- he's going to play a lot and had 9 (4+5) last year in 1900 minutes.

In terms of the big names I think I'd go with Reyna -- he's going to play a lot and had 9 (4+5) last year in 1900 minutes.
I think the numbers you quoted for Gio were only his league numbers.  He also had goals and assists (3 each) in the German Cup and an assist in Champions League.

Also, screw them if the only thing they're considering is PT.  I'm not a big RAH-RAH USA-USA-USA type outwardly, but I want us to get back to the 2006 World Cup vs Italy mentality.  We lost some of that die-for-the-flag along the line IMO.

ETA:  I do think the current team seems to get this.  Just saying that if someone doesn't want to play for the US or is willing to make a permanent switch at 18 or 20 just based on which team makes bigger promises -- let them go.
I mostly agree with your sentiment; in fact, that's why I started following the USMNT to begin with, and that 'spark' seemed to be absent in the last WC qualifying group--including Bradley, Altidore, Dempsey, etc. I also buy the narrative that what made one follow the team in bygone years was their grit and all-out play. That's what excites me about guys like Swag and the multi-national eligible players who chose the US; they did it because they WANT to play for the US.

The flip side of the coin is that the PT angle is how we landed Dest, and has been a big selling point for getting players to choose us over other countries (Weah, Musah, Dike, plus at least one English kid whose name escapes me right now). I'm somewhat sympathetic to this line of thinking while also only wanting kids who want to be here.  

Yeah, I'm honestly not worried about Cowell jumping. Its just unfortunate that it will be likely be a long time (since I dont see him being ready for a qualifier this calendar year) before they can cap-tie him.

As far as Ochoa....I couldn't care less right now. He's a 20 year old keeper. I know lots of people say he's an elite talent, but it will likely be YEARS before he is even in the running for the #1 job.  Would suck to lose him (since we'll need SOMEONE good in the 24-28 year old range when the Steffen/Horvath/Turner generation turns 30) but the range out outcomes for Ochoa is just too wide to get too excited right now.

I never thought I would say this but I think 10 goals is reasonable for Weston if he plays up high

===================

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

So, apparently Allegri shouted "devi fare 10 gol quest'anno" at Weston McKennie after he scored today ... which means "you have to score 10 goals this year"

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

#usmnt manager Gregg Berhalter says both Daryl Dike and Paul Arriola will be game-time decisions. Dike the more likely to play.

I don't see how you don't replace nips if you aren't nearly 100% sure he can play. It's the knock out rounds.  All hands on deck. 

And it's not like he's some key piece that they can't win without. He's a JAG.

Just so stupid

Youngest in MLS history to do so.

Don't know much about him. Does he potentially solve our #9 problem?
He was super highly regarded as a 16 year old, but Dallas just seemed to never play him a string of good minutes at the 9.  They kind of got forced to this year, and he's been as hot as any striker in the league since getting the starting job.  

FYI, sound the Bobby Wood inaugural MLS goal klaxon too!

There is a lot of truth to this joke.  They develop more good young Americans than any other MLS team and can't pick a decent foreign player for the life of them

=========

Jamie Hill

@_jameshill

The best thing FC Dallas could do is intentionally commit some sort of offense that would force a governing body to ban them from signing players from abroad for two years

• Laughing
So what's the scoop on the olympic soccer?  Are all many of these players missing time with top clubs  Watching Spain / Australia right now and both teams look better than anything I've seen in Gold Cup.

So what's the scoop on the olympic soccer?  Are all many of these players missing time with top clubs  Watching Spain / Australia right now and both teams look better than anything I've seen in Gold Cup.
Australia's team is made up all all youth players with one overage player.  The majority of the team plays in the A League in Australia with some sprinkled in the Championship in England.  A couple are in the youth teams of EPL clubs but are not members of the main team.

The Spain team is made of mostly of La Liga players. 

Users who are viewing this thread