Sept 2 at El Salvador

Sept 5 v Canada in Nashville

Sept 8 at Honduras

Oct 7 v Jamaica in Austin

Oct 10 at Panama

Oct 13 v Costa Rica tba

Nov 12 v Mexico in Cincinnati

Nov 16 at Jamaica

Sept is going to be a crazy test.  3 day turn arounds while travelling to ELS, to Nashville, to Honduras all in the course of a week.  All 21 field players are going to be so crucial.

• Like 1

I actually thought about Landon when Biles decided to leave the Olympics

=============

Landon Donovan

@landondonovan

Really proud of @Simone_Biles for having the courage to make such a difficult decision. I encourage everyone to have compassion for her and try to understand the pressure she was dealing with. She’s a human being first and an athlete second. We can all learn from her courage.

• Like 5

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Goal Pefok! The #USMNT forward puts BSC Young Boys up 1-0 (& 1-0 agg) against Slovan Bratislava via a penalty. Combined with his game over the weekend in the Swiss opener, he now has 3 goals and 1 assist in his last 41 minutes. #USMNT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ned said:

Sept is going to be a crazy test.  3 day turn arounds while travelling to ELS, to Nashville, to Honduras all in the course of a week.  All 21 field players are going to be so crucial.

strategically I'd save our strongest players for El Salvador and Honduras particularly in the midfield/wingers...go light vs. Canada at home allowing for max rest for our A team vs. Honduras.

Edited by TripItUp

41 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

strategically I'd save our strongest players for El Salvador and Honduras particularly in the midfield/wingers...go light vs. Canada at home allowing for max rest for our A team vs. Honduras.

I am very interested to see how GGG approaches this.

The basic math tells us, win all games at home and we will very likely qualify, but with the home game sandwiched between the two away games, it is awkward to manage this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TripItUp said:

It's a tough call.  I think I'd actually do it completely different.  I think, especially since they're playing without fans, that I'd put in an A/B team against El Salvador, saving anyone with a slight knock or anyone who'd just played a bunch for their clubs.  I think our second team is good enough to compete against them and if we're chasing a goal, or need to hold on to a tight game late, then you bring in some of the other big guns, otherwise if we're holding a comfortable lead you sub out the A players.  I think this is where the 5 sub rule really needs to be utilized correctly by GGG.

Then you have a mostly A team play against Canada.  I agree with NR.... can't afford to lose any home games.  Finally, you start an A/B team against Honduras, again hoping to replace the A players with fresher legs after 55-60, but being ready to do the opposite should the need arise.

Essentially you go into the september qualifiers hoping to pull 2 or 3 points out of the away games and expecting to win the home game.  That'd be my take, especially with the packed schedule, but we'll see how it goes.

1 hour ago, encaitar said:

It's a tough call.  I think I'd actually do it completely different.  I think, especially since they're playing without fans, that I'd put in an A/B team against El Salvador, saving anyone with a slight knock or anyone who'd just played a bunch for their clubs. 

I read on Twitter last night (I think it was Brian Strauss) that Hugo Perez said that the game would be in El Salvador with fans.  

1 hour ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I read on Twitter last night (I think it was Brian Strauss) that Hugo Perez said that the game would be in El Salvador with fans.  

The President of the country said that anyone with proof of a vaccination can attend the game.

6 minutes ago, BeTheMatch said:

They didn't even check anyone at Euro2020 like they were supposed to, so I have a hard time being real optimistic about El Salvador carrying this out 

yeah I am also expecting that stadium to be really packed.  It is amazing atmosphere they get down there

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Monumental_Estadio_Cuscatlan.jpg

6 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Goal Pefok! The #USMNT forward puts BSC Young Boys up 1-0 (& 1-0 agg) against Slovan Bratislava via a penalty. Combined with his game over the weekend in the Swiss opener, he now has 3 goals and 1 assist in his last 41 minutes. #USMNT

They won the game 3-2.  This was a Champions League Group stage qualifier game.

• Like 1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7aaNmYWYAIAzJZ?format=jpg&name=large

I know it is late in the summer but I wonder if Schalke is getting any phone calls on Hoppe.   I hate over-inflating the quality of US players but I really think he can play in a much better league than Bundie 2.

His age, his mobility, his size and technical skills all seem to scream for some first division team to scoop him up.

• Like 1

Bayern & Germany

@iMiaSanMia

Following the injury of Marc Roca and the positive test of Tolisso, Bayern could be active on the market for a midfielder. However, there won't be any panic moves such as in October last year. Julian Nagelsmann would rather give a chance to players like Rhein or Booth [Kicker]

On 7/1/2021 at 1:27 PM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I think I'm way more optimistic about this team than I'm reading here.  This team isn't much (any?) worse than the teams we've sent out over the years.  Go back and look at random 11s from prior WCW, GC, etc games.  There have been a lot of unremarkable players take the field and get results.

I'll be disappointed if we lose to anyone other than Mexico, and I expect some of these guys fighting for their USMNT lives to show out.  At the very least we'll be a tough out.

• Thinking 1

The US is currently 13th in the newest FIFA rankings.  A win against Mexico on Sunday would likely propel us up past Uruguay and Netherlands into 11th, which would be the highest we've been since 2009!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, encaitar said:

The US is currently 13th in the newest FIFA rankings.  A win against Mexico on Sunday would likely propel us up past Uruguay and Netherlands into 11th, which would be the highest we've been since 2009!

I'm surprised we were ranked that high then. I know it's FIFA rankings, but that's still pretty high.

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I'm surprised we were ranked that high then. I know it's FIFA rankings, but that's still pretty high.

Nations League win(s) plays a big role.

Better power ratings have us a bit further down.

First one I looked at has Mexico at #21 and USA at #25.  That seems about right -- though we'll have a chance to move up some as our best team takes the field a bunch in the next 15 months.

• Like 1

This is directionally right, but obviously not exact.  Using some of the power ratings and HFA estimates kicking around, here's how our 14 OCHO games shake out, hardest to easiest.

No surprise that all of the away games are tougher than the hardest home game.  I don't know how projected goal differences convert to W-D-L odds, but this feels about right to me. 

Mexico away is a big ask.  The games that are close to zero (2nd tier) are tossups.  @ El Salvador is about as tough as Mexico at home.  And we're strong favorites against everyone else in the Hex at home. 

I know some people will look at those home odds and think they're too high, but we have won a ton of games by 3-4-5 goals against those teams in the past, and these are average expected goal differences if you played 1000s of times. 

These may not account fully for form and trends (where Canada would be higher rated and Costa Rica and Honduras would suffer).

• @ Mexico (-.96 goals)
  • @ Costa Rica (-.33 goals)
  • @ Canada (-.05 goals)
  • @ Honduras (+.11 goals)
  • @ Panama (+.28 goals)
  • @ Jamaica (+.33 goals)
  • @ El Salvador (+.74 goals)
  • Mexico (+.84 goals)
  • Costa Rica (+1.47 goals)
  • Canada (+1.95 goals)
  • Honduras (+2.11 goals)
  • Panama (+2.28 goals)
  • Jamaica (+2.33 goals)
  • El Salvador (+2.74 goals)
  • Like 1

Going to be watching more and more Serie A it seems

=============

From ESPN

Manchester City and U.S. international defender Erik Palmer-Brown is on the verge of being transferred to Serie A side Venezia FC, multiple sources have told ESPN.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

This is directionally right, but obviously not exact.  Using some of the power ratings and HFA estimates kicking around, here's how our 14 OCHO games shake out, hardest to easiest.

No surprise that all of the away games are tougher than the hardest home game.  I don't know how projected goal differences convert to W-D-L odds, but this feels about right to me. 

Mexico away is a big ask.  The games that are close to zero (2nd tier) are tossups.  @ El Salvador is about as tough as Mexico at home.  And we're strong favorites against everyone else in the Hex at home. 

I know some people will look at those home odds and think they're too high, but we have won a ton of games by 3-4-5 goals against those teams in the past, and these are average expected goal differences if you played 1000s of times. 

These may not account fully for form and trends (where Canada would be higher rated and Costa Rica and Honduras would suffer).

• @ Mexico (-.96 goals)
  • @ Costa Rica (-.33 goals)
  • @ Canada (-.05 goals)
  • @ Honduras (+.11 goals)
  • @ Panama (+.28 goals)
  • @ Jamaica (+.33 goals)
  • @ El Salvador (+.74 goals)
  • Mexico (+.84 goals)
  • Costa Rica (+1.47 goals)
  • Canada (+1.95 goals)
  • Honduras (+2.11 goals)
  • Panama (+2.28 goals)
  • Jamaica (+2.33 goals)
  • El Salvador (+2.74 goals)

History probably means nothing here but we have gotten points away at Mexico twice in qualifying but we have never secured even a single point in CR.  Maybe this is the cycle to break that duck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Nations League win(s) plays a big role.

All the Gold Cup games (including group stage games) are worth more than even the Nations League final.

Here are the weighted coefficients used in the rankings formula, based on the type of match being played.

05 – friendlies played outside the International Match Calendar windows

10 – friendlies played within the International Match Calendar windows

15 – Nations League matches (group stage)

25 – Nations League matches (play-offs and finals)

25 – Confederations' final competitions qualifiers, FIFA World Cup qualifiers

35 – Confederations' final competitions matches (before quarter-finals)

40 – Confederations' final competitions matches (quarter-finals and later)

50 – FIFA World Cup matches (before quarter-finals)

60 – FIFA World Cup matches (quarter-finals and later)

Edited by NewlyRetired

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Going to be watching more and more Serie A it seems

=============

From ESPN

Manchester City and U.S. international defender Erik Palmer-Brown is on the verge of being transferred to Serie A side Venezia FC, multiple sources have told ESPN.

This is the team Tessman is already at and the team rumored to be where Busio lands.

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

Gregg Berhalter has reached 25 wins in 34 matches -- faster than any other #USMNT head coach. The previous best was held by Bob Bradley who earned 25 wins in 38 games.

I thought Zardes might be the most disrespected guy in Soccer but GGG probably has that spot locked down. 

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

I thought Zardes might be the most disrespected guy in Soccer but GGG probably has that spot locked down. 

GGG suffers from the same fate that players like Zardes do with a section of the fan base and that is that GGG is considered "MLS" and not "Europe".   The mind set of that section of the fan base will never change.   

If GGG ever moves abroad to coach in a high level league, he too will improve by 75% the minute his feet touch the Euro soil, similar to how Aaronson went from "who cares, he plays in MLS" to "holy crap he really improved!"

The perceived (and/or real) nepotism that went along with his initial hiring also has hurt GGG's ability to be accepted across the fan base as competent.  

Edited by NewlyRetired

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

GGG suffers from the same fate that players like Zardes do with a section of the fan base and that is that GGG is considered "MLS" and not "Europe".   The mind set of that section of the fan base will never change.   

If GGG ever moves abroad to coach in a high level league, he too will improve by 75% the minute his feet touch the Euro soil, similar to how Aaronson went from "who cares, he plays in MLS" to "holy crap he really improved!"

The perceived (and/or real) nepotism that went along with his initial hiring also has hurt GGG's ability to be accepted across the fan base as competent.  

To play devil's advocate.   Players that were outclassed and inconsistent and shouldn't be on the roster.

Lletget

Yueill

Nips

All have one league in common.  

Until those kind of performances aren't put in by MLS players that GGG appears to favor, GGG will get the criticism, warranted or unwarranted.  Best way to get rid of the criticism is A) don't play MLS players or B) MLS players play better.

We may be entering a phase where there are enough good European players, the MLS players are entirely phased out.

Edited by TripItUp

31 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

To play devil's advocate.   Players that were outclassed and inconsistent and shouldn't be on the roster.

Lletget

Yueill

Nips

Until those kind of performances aren't put in by MLS players that GGG appears to favor, GGG will get the criticism, warranted or unwarranted.  Best way to get rid of the criticism is A) don't play MLS players or B) MLS players play better.

We may be entering a phase where there are enough good European players, the MLS players are entirely phased out.

Lets follow your logic and see where it leads us:

1) no players from the Bundesliga should ever be played again because Sargent has not played well for the US

2) no players from Ligue 1 should ever be played again because Weah has not played well for the US

3) It is impossible that Turner and Buchanan are the two best players in the Gold Cup because they never should have even stepped on the field because of where they play.

4) GGG favors MLS players which is why the Nations League team was vast majority non MLS players

I don't know what else to say.  This logic defies explanation to me :loco:

53 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

And Yueill.

11 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Grant Wahl:  Hearing Matthew Hoppe (who’s having a good Gold Cup) is now drawing interest from Arsenal and Everton. It’s looking likely he’ll make a move from Schalke following Gold Cup.

Silly season so silly.

If a club like either of those, they'll be loaning him out to Championship or bottom of table team where he seems to belong right now. Not saying he doesn't have potential for more, but as much as I like what I'm seeing from him, he's not sniffing either of those lineups.

42 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Lletget

Yueill

Nips

Fwiw, I don't think anybody else but you is saying Nips and Lletget don't belong around the 23. 

15 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Lets follow your logic and see where it leads us:

1) no players from the Bundesliga should ever be played again because Sargent has not played well for the US

2) no players from Ligue 1 should ever be played again because Weah has not played well for the US

3) It is impossible that Turner and Buchanan are the two best players in the Gold Cup because they never should have even stepped on the field because of where they play.

4) GGG favors MLS players which is why the Nations League team was vast majority non MLS players

I don't know what else to say.  This logic defies explanation to me :loco:

That's not really my logic.  Further, I was providing the devil's advocate viewpoint, not my viewpoint.

The 10K foot view is that the most disappointing players have been MLS players...you can agree or disagree with that opinion, but it is an opinion that many hold.  That isn't to say all MLS players are bad...I don't know anybody that has implied that.  Everybody knows that Turner has played great, Busio bounced back etc. etc.

10 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Fwiw, I don't think anybody else but you is saying Nips and Lletget don't belong around the 23. 

I'm not really saying that.   I was providing the dissenting viewpoint.  That being said, they would be two of the weakest players on the 23 man roster IMHO.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

The 10K foot view is that the most disappointing players have been MLS players. etc.

The Gold Cup team is almost entirely MlS players.  By law of probability the best players are going to be MLS players and the worst players are going to be MLS players.

How about we stop worrying about where players play and worry more about how they play?

Yueill sucks not because he plays in MLS.  Sargent has struggled not because he plays in Germany.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

The Gold Cup team is almost entirely MlS players.  By law of probability the best players are going to be MLS players and the worst players are going to be MLS players.

How about we stop worrying about where players play and worry more about how they play?

Yueill sucks not because he plays in MLS.  Sargent has struggled not because he plays in Germany.

Just providing perspective.  :shrug:

Some MLS players look outclassed.  Doesn't mean they are all outclassed.

6 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Just providing perspective.  :shrug:

Some MLS players look outclassed.  Doesn't mean they are all outclassed.

You still don't get it.

You have made probably 300 posts about how out classed Sargent has been.  Why do you never mention the league he plays in as one that no players should ever be picked from again but when Yueill sucks, you say all MLS players should never be picked again?

This is not perspective, this is bias imo.

Edited by NewlyRetired