What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (15 Viewers)

Of the two scenarios which seems more likely (not saying either has to be true):

1. The US getting teams best shot because it's the US and we are favorites and they want to go up against the US's European players

2. We see some weakened sides due to the 3 games in a short time frame

I think 2 - especially early in qualification when everyone has a shot.  Seems like teams may be prudent, especially playing on our home field.  We may see some big scorelines in our home matches against the bottom teams.
Number 2 (in terms of some big score lines at home) is with out a doubt happening.

Look at even the disaster in 2018.  We had home score lines of 4-0 and 6-0 and this was against teams who finished AHEAD of the US in the hex.

As such I am not going to perform any deep evaluation of the team based on home performance.  I understand that we can sweep at home and qualify but I don't think we learn anything new about the team.

If this team wants to separate itself from previous qualifying teams, it has to happen on the road.   This is why I am so excited about the September games as 2 of the 3 are on the road.  If we come out of those 3 games with 7 points total, I am going to feel really really good about our chances to qualify.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of us kind of expected this.   Back in Landon's day he was shunned for being weak mentally.  Hopefully with the world changing its views slowing on mental health, players like Pulisic can get the help they need to succeed.

===================

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

Christian Pulisic opened up on mental health "Personally, living alone in Europe has been tough at times. ... When it’s all on you it can really feel like a lot. Personally, during this time, I reached out to a therapist and it’s not something anyone should be ashamed of."

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Barring disastrous injuries, we are qualifying.  This is a new era where qualifying is a forgone conclusion imho.  This isn’t 6 years ago. 

take that to the bank bromigos. 

Sweet finish for Sargent goal in first half today.  having him get some goal scoring confidence in Bundie may be good for him.

https://streamable.com/pwij65
In a weird way I think we’ll learn more about him this year compared to last. He was in such a tough spot, you can’t really hold the lack of goals against him. This year if he doesn’t show really well it will be telling. 

Announcers were debating it and one of them was adamant he wouldn’t have been able to control it as well as he did without some arm help. It was reviewed and upheld, though.
I mean, I watched it on my phone, so not exactly a closeup...but looked pretty clearly to hit his arm. But iirc, they changed the rule from all of arm to arm below the short sleeve...or something like that.

In a weird way I think we’ll learn more about him this year compared to last. He was in such a tough spot, you can’t really hold the lack of goals against him. This year if he doesn’t show really well it will be telling. 
Agree. He was getting next to no service last year with Schalke being on the back foot most games. as you say, that should change this season so we should see his optimal game. Hopefully that's enough to help the US. His recent US performances don't give me a lot of hope...but he's still young and learning his craft, so hopefully he figures out how to get to the ball first better.

I agree.

Hopefully being on one of the better teams will allow him to be a striker first instead of all of last year he spent acting as a defender first.

This has been lost a bit in the shuffle but Justin Che has been killing it in his first year as a pro for Dallas as a 17 year old.

I don't know how much longer Dallas can keep this train going but Che has the look. His highlights pop.

======================

Bayern Comps

@CompsBayern

Justin Che Vs LA Galaxy Justin Che recorded team-highs in tackles (3), interceptions (3), possessions gained (8), crosses (3), touches (73) and an assist.

Werder won 3-2 on a 96th minute PK.  Sadly Sargent did not take the PK for the hat trick but I am sure he should feel great with the brace.

NewlyRetired said:
I agree.

Hopefully being on one of the better teams will allow him to be a striker first instead of all of last year he spent acting as a defender first.
That did help him clear a sure goal off the line with his head in a Nation's League game though...

One of my favorite players, who got lost in the shuffle due to the long term injury, is looking better week by week.   This was a very nice goal with his off foot tonight

https://streamable.com/6xjc3m
He'll get his chance.  He was our captain on the 2019 U20 WC team that performed so well.  He's for sure been set back by the injury otherwise I think he'd have been called into this Gold Cup, but he keeps doing things like that and Gregg won't be able to ignore him very long.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Or maybe it's Lletget he needs to get by...
Before his injury, Paxton was projecting to be a better version of Lletget IMO.  I even saw some one on twitter last night say that Paxton has the skill sets that GGG thinks/wishes Lletget had.

It is probably too late for this cycle but he is only 21 and this is almost certainly Lletget's last cycle so their may be room next cycle for him to get his chance.

Loftus Cheek shown partnering with Kova as a DCM?  Weird lineup.

1-0 60 mins in...5 subs at the half- CP stayed in, but not sure if he rotated upfield or not.
He rotated to the front 3/false 9 role when Havertz went off.  Looked pretty average at RWB(not unexpected).  Looked quite good once moving forward.  Had a beautiful pass that put Ziyech wide open on net and Ziyech ####ed it up.  Came off at 60.

The first of hopefully another bevy of trophies for Yanks this season as Lille won the French Super Cup.  Weah played in the second half.

At this point, my 23:

GK -- Steffen, Whorebath, Turner

D -- Dest, Cannon, A. Robinson, Brooks, Richards, Zimmerman, McKenzie

M -- McKennie, Adams, Musah, Acosta, Busio, Lletget

F -- Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Dike, Weah, Sargent, Hoppe

Would consider M Robinson instead of Sargent or Turner.

Am I forgetting someone?

ETA -- Fringe guys: Yedlin, Cowell, Clark, Reynolds, Zardes

Bump

Users who are viewing this thread