What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

Talking Wolves

@TalkingWolves

Owen Otasowie has reportedly rejected a new contract at Wolves. The USA international has a year left on his deal at Molineux and could leave for around £6m with Wolfsburg and Anderlecht interested.
Huh. Felt like he's been on the fringe, close to getting more regular minutes...but maybe the new coach doesn't rate him? Hope he gets some PT- he's another guy who could sneak his way into the wcq conversation with a good start to his season. 

ok lets throw out some random thoughts and see what you guys think

* Form matters, confidence matters.  I think I am ready to say Robinson should be starting next to Brooks.  If he put in that performance in front of 60k Mexican fans, he is not going to wilt in ELS.

* One thing I don't believe any one has mentioned is that Robinson played the entire Gold Cup at left center back and Robinson is a natural righty.   That gives GGG lots of flexibility if/when Brooks is hurt/suspended/needs rest.

* I had a horrible shower thought.  With Acosta having a fairly amazing last few games at the 6, do you guys think that GGG is saying "#### yes!" and will slide Adams back to RB as he originally experimented with leaving Acosta at the 6?  That would put Dest on the left which I am fine with.  If Dest is not getting chewed up on the left in La Liga, he will be fine there in qualifiers IMO.

* As we all know, away Concacaf qualifiers are the furthest thing from the beautiful game.  Those are likely to be grind it out affairs.   As such I think I would prefer players like Acosta and Zardes starting the away games (at the 8 and 9) while players like Aaronson and Sargent start the games at home (at the 8 and 9).  This assumes Musah will not be available.

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
:wub:  

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Really cool story from Matt Turner how he got the captain's armband in extratime of the Gold Cup final.  Kellyn Acosta had it, but he put it on Turner's arm and said: “We’re going to need you to step up here and you deserve this.” Turner: “It was a really special moment for me.”

* I had a horrible shower thought.  With Acosta having a fairly amazing last few games at the 6, do you guys think that GGG is saying "#### yes!" and will slide Adams back to RB as he originally experimented with leaving Acosta at the 6?  That would put Dest on the left which I am fine with.  If Dest is not getting chewed up on the left in La Liga, he will be fine there in qualifiers IMO.
I don't want Adams at RB, but if Musah is out I'd prefer Adams and McKennie at 8 with Acosta at 6 for the first set of WCQs.  

I don't want Adams at RB, but if Musah is out I'd prefer Adams and McKennie at 8 with Acosta at 6 for the first set of WCQs.  
I am not sure Adams has ever played at the 8.   He does not have a lot of natural attacking instincts but it feels like his skill set could adapt.

ok lets throw out some random thoughts and see what you guys think

* Form matters, confidence matters.  I think I am ready to say Robinson should be starting next to Brooks.  If he put in that performance in front of 60k Mexican fans, he is not going to wilt in ELS.

* One thing I don't believe any one has mentioned is that Robinson played the entire Gold Cup at left center back and Robinson is a natural righty.   That gives GGG lots of flexibility if/when Brooks is hurt/suspended/needs rest.

* As we all know, away Concacaf qualifiers are the furthest thing from the beautiful game.  Those are likely to be grind it out affairs.   As such I think I would prefer players like Acosta and Zardes starting the away games (at the 8 and 9) while players like Aaronson and Sargent start the games at home (at the 8 and 9).  This assumes Musah will not be available.

I'm guessing that Robinson is a nailed on starter right now when healthy.  Had no idea he was a RCB normally, so it's a perfect fit.

I think Acosta may we'll start as well, but next to McKennie - not as a DMID. And we're deep enough at RB to let Adams be Adams IMO.

The more I listen to you guys the more I like Acosta at the 8.   

I think he does not show well at the 8 when the skill players are not available but when every one is available, he should just play the 8 similar to how he does the 6.   He has no need to take on creative responsibilities when he is surrounded by players doing just that for some of the biggest clubs in the entire world.

I think I would much prefer Acosta at the 8 than LLetget.  The extra bite in the midfield is going to help when things get ugly (and they will get ugly).  Plus it gives us a solid free kick taker.  If he can hit them the way he did in the final, we could create some problems.  Gio is going to fight for any that are shooting chances but the free kicks that are crosses should be for Acosta right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he has played both RCB and LCB when at Atlanta.  I am unsure which one is more common though.
It's kind of surreal how our top ~dozen players fit together so well.  There's a choice or two at a few positions but building a lineup is really easy.  No shoehorning or asking anyone to do something they can't do.

It's kind of surreal how our top ~dozen players fit together so well.  There's a choice or two at a few positions but building a lineup is really easy.  No shoehorning or asking anyone to do something they can't do.

I think some of this is due to having more swiss army knives than usual.  Weston can play any position on the field.  Acosta is fairly flexible having played numerous spots over the years.  Dest can play on the left or right.  Sands can play in the middle of a back 3 of at the 6.   Robinson and Richards can play both CB spots.  Weah and Hoppe can play 9 or winger..

All the regular wingers are naturally flexible out wide (but this is pretty common these days)

The more I listen to you guy the more I like Acosta at the 8.   I think he does not show well at the 8 when the skill players are not around but when every one is available, he should just play the 8 similar to how he does the 6.   He has no need to take on creative responsibilities when he is surrounded by players doing just that for some of the biggest clubs in the entire world.

I think I would much prefer Acosta at the 8 than LLetget.  The extra bite in the midfield is going to help when things get ugly (and they will get ugly).

Acosta's not as good gliding past defenders as Musah, but he's not terrible with the ball and can play a nice pass or take a good free kick too 

Acosta's not as good gliding past defenders as Musah, but he's not terrible with the ball and can play a nice pass or take a good free kick too 

yeah Musah is by far my first pick at the 8 next to Weston but I don't get the feeling that GGG feels that way.  

So it looks like Tata has survived, which surprises me.  It is not like Mexico cruised to the finals and got caught with a smash a grab.   They underperformed in 4 of the 6 games (T&T, ELS, Canada and US).

I have no idea if this is good or bad for Mexico that he survived.   While I hate Mexico as much as the next fan, I do think mathematically that it is simply better for the US to have a strong Mexican team in qualifying that doesn't drop points.

I am not sure Adams has ever played at the 8.   He does not have a lot of natural attacking instincts but it feels like his skill set could adapt.
I think Acosta is a more natural 8 tbh. Could slide back with Adams or push up with Swag as the game dictates. 

I'd still like to see Owen and Keaton get a look, at least in a camp.

So it looks like Tata has survived, which surprises me.  It is not like Mexico cruised to the finals and got caught with a smash a grab.   They underperformed in 4 of the 6 games (T&T, ELS, Canada and US).

I have no idea if this is good or bad for Mexico that he survived.   While I hate Mexico as much as the next fan, I do think mathematically that it is simply better for the US to have a strong Mexican team in qualifying that doesn't drop points.
Yeah...another strong team taking points away from our competitors is a good thing.

I love the idea that we have a brick wall of a midfield with McKennie an 8/10, Acosta a 6/8 and Adams behind them.  Just enough offense to connect with the front three and tough to break down.
Plus with those three we could easily shift to a double pivot 6 w/ a back 3/5.  (Just please god no 352 w/ Dike & Zardes up top.)

• Smile
So what's changed for Acosta?

The GC obviously lit a fire under his ### and brought out his best, but can we bank on that moving forward as we all seem to be doing? He's been meh to bleh the last couple years and tbh I've never seen this determined relentlessness before. Kinda figured he was long done.

Always a guy great on the set pieces, decent not great on the ball or finding passes, decent not great holding shape, same defending in general. But again, he brought everything up- mostly with the never say die attitude that would be fantastic with the A team (especially if it limits the brick walls Swag has to run through). But is this the real Acosta, or was the last couple years? 

So what's changed for Acosta?

The GC obviously lit a fire under his ### and brought out his best, but can we bank on that moving forward as we all seem to be doing? He's been meh to bleh the last couple years and tbh I've never seen this determined relentlessness before. Kinda figured he was long done.

Always a guy great on the set pieces, decent not great on the ball or finding passes, decent not great holding shape, same defending in general. But again, he brought everything up- mostly with the never say die attitude that would be fantastic with the A team (especially if it limits the brick walls Swag has to run through). But is this the real Acosta, or was the last couple years? 
I've been wondering about this too...  I have two theories...

1).  He's a late bloomer and found another level in the last year.

2).  He took it to another level for GGG and the team because he felt like his USMNT career was done and he had been usurped by Musah and others.  

It could also be a combination of the two.  As in his ceiling has raised, but he also was motivated.  

The big question will be if he can keep up this level of play on a cold night in Stoke, or on a wet and bumpy field in Central America.  

I've been wondering about this too...  I have two theories...

1).  He's a late bloomer and found another level in the last year.

2).  He took it to another level for GGG and the team because he felt like his USMNT career was done and he had been usurped by Musah and others.  

It could also be a combination of the two.  As in his ceiling has raised, but he also was motivated.  

The big question will be if he can keep up this level of play on a cold night in Stoke, or on a wet and bumpy field in Central America.  
I thought he had been struggling for PT with his club...? May have been somebody else.

I got the sense he saw the GC as a last gasp both personally and given the new breed of kids coming up and gave it everything he had. Getting to knockout rounds, and especially against Mex for the final makes sense for this.

Iirc, he did play serviceably for the US just prior to the GC- enough to say, sure, keep him in the mix. But not enough to suggest what he did here. I'm afraid that's the Acosta were more likely to get moving forward, given his history.

I thought he had been struggling for PT with his club...? May have been somebody else.

I got the sense he saw the GC as a last gasp both personally and given the new breed of kids coming up and gave it everything he had. Getting to knockout rounds, and especially against Mex for the final makes sense for this.

Iirc, he did play serviceably for the US just prior to the GC- enough to say, sure, keep him in the mix. But not enough to suggest what he did here. I'm afraid that's the Acosta were more likely to get moving forward, given his history.
I remember being disappointed with Acosta in the past, but was he maybe not surrounded by players of the quality he was this time?  Or playing out of position?  I know that's odd to say given this GC was not our A team, but maybe he needs the right players around him?  Or had injuries?  I dunno...

I've always like Acosta, I hope he can play a role going forward.  Time will tell, but he did all he could at the GC to cement a place in WCQs.

So about Acosta.  It was Lewis that lost his playing time at Colorado, not Acosta.

I have no inside knowledge but I think Acosta's development (both mental and physical) really stopped when he did not move to Europe.  It was almost like he was resigned to just being an average pro and was not pushing himself.

He clearly "wanted" it, for lack of a better word, in the Gold Cup.  It is not like Acosta suddenly turned into Pirlo either so what ever caused him to give this effort in the Gold Cup should be repeatable in qualifying (I hope).

I remember being disappointed with Acosta in the past, but was he maybe not surrounded by players of the quality he was this time?  Or playing out of position?  I know that's odd to say given this GC was not our A team, but maybe he needs the right players around him?  Or had injuries?  I dunno...

I've always like Acosta, I hope he can play a role going forward.  Time will tell, but he did all he could at the GC to cement a place in WCQs.

IMO, you can't luck or outwork yourself into the game he had. That was a superb performance and indicates quality. He's earned the spot.

Hey- I totally agree he needs to be in the WCQ roster and maybe even starting based purely on his GC performances.

I'm just trying to look past our collective short sighted history (like Dike being the clear cut #9 or Nips never being a decent international because his last couple games stunk) to remind myself of what has been an ok, far from great international career to properly set expectations.

I want Adams, McKennie, and Acosta in the midfield (if Musah is out).  I guess I don't care if Acosta is the 6 or the 8.  

I think that trio can be offensive enough so I'm good with that.  One thing I don't want to see (and based on how GGG has had them playing I don't think we will) is for us to play too defensively on the road.  We had too much talent to not dictate things against pretty much anybody other than Mexico.

I have my own pet theory about Acosta that comes from fantasy football... sometimes narratives happen. 

Good players almost never stop being good without catastrophic injuries.  But the stories that get told about them, or the competitive environment around them?  Those change a lot.

Is this confirmed?

The game size is 23 still.   

But GGG has many times called up more than 23 players and then takes the 23 that he wants to what ever game.  Since we have these tight windows, it will make sense again to call up more than 23 and pick and choose as the games progress through the windows based on yellow cards, injuries, rest etc

Liked what I've seen from Konrad in their two friendlies, they've got him out wide left, but we are just so deep there. 

Dallas would scoop a sweet $6.5m if this goes through

=====================

Bayern & Germany

@iMiaSanMia

Chris Richards is allowed to leave the club, but only if Hoffenheim agree to a permanent transfer and pay at least €10m

• Smile
Mr.Calcio

@MrCalcioGuy

REYNOLDS: good news (for Bryan) is that Florenzi is not in Mourinho plans so Bryan will be no 2 RB behind Karsdorf. Still will need to prove he belongs during season, but looks like for now, no loan for Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread