Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

Doyle nailed this article....Here is a great comment on Zardes

========================

Gyasi’s never going to dominate a game himself, but he’s miserable to play against because of his movement and physicality, his first touch is much-improved, he’s smart as hell (watch him directing both Busio and Gioacchini in the 4-3-3 clip), and his off-ball movement remains elite.

He’s going to score so many goals during qualifying when playing with the first team, and a certain type of fan is going to be angry about that. It's going to be so wonderful.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Hey- I totally agree he needs to be in the WCQ roster and maybe even starting based purely on his GC performances.

I'm just trying to look past our collective short sighted history (like Dike being the clear cut #9 or Nips never being a decent international because his last couple games stunk) to remind myself of what has been an ok, far from great international career to properly set expectations.

Yeah.  I don't know how to divorce Moreno coming off and our subs, but our MF was essentially non-existent the first half of the match.  I know we won, but we decisively lost the possession battle (we went down from 43% to 36% from Nations League to GC with much of Mexico's possession being very flaccid in the NL) and while corner kicks aren't a fantastic judge of dominance, they got flipped from 6-4 in our favor to 6-11 in their favor.   Frankly, we were hanging on for much of the first 60 minutes and this performance was much more akin to pre-GGG than anything else since 2019.  

This is a little chicken and egg, but Robinson and Acosta had to look great since that left side was continually exploited (granted Chaka is a pretty fantastic LB and Tata figured out how to bypass the press) and while its relatively easy to see how Robinson's performance could translate to the A team, I'm not sure we should be making the same conclusion about Acosta (or frankly any of the front seven field players from the GC Final).  The fact is, they got overrun and didn't maintain possession.  

• Like 1

This kid has been quietly solid but it looks like the Revs being so good this year is bringing scouting eyes to the team.   I hope some one is willing to take a chance on Turner given his age (which is not old for a keeper).

This turned out to be quite the college draft for NE.  This kid was taken after Buchanan by the Revs.

======================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

The #NERevs are on a tear, and European clubs are taking notice of more and more of their players. You can add DeJuan Jones to that list. I'm told that a pair of Bundesliga clubs have expressed interested in the Revs left back.

Looks like Colorado is not done after the Vines sale.

This snow ball down this hill we are experiencing in MLS players getting looks is wonderful.

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Sources: The Colorado Rapids have rejected an offer from a Dutch club for homegrown and US youth national team midfielder Cole Bassett, while talks remain ongoing with a "top" Portuguese club.

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I thought this was an interesting stat for Turner as I saw a couple of people saying Turner's passes constantly went to the other teams:

================

Turner also completed 153 of 164 passes throughout the Gold Cup

Yeah, but this doesn't take into account the goal line kicks or long balls.  I feel like we won very few of his long balls, although that might've been the forwards' fault as much as Turner's. 

Given that we played out of the back much, much less often than with Steffen this is kind of a big deal.  However, Turner's passing wasn't nearly as bad as it has been in the past and there's zero doubt now that he's the best natural goal stopper in the group, so there's a good chance that it's worth it to punt it deep more often.

23 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Looks like Colorado is not done after the Vines sale.

This snow ball down this hill we are experiencing in MLS players getting looks is wonderful.

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Sources: The Colorado Rapids have rejected an offer from a Dutch club for homegrown and US youth national team midfielder Cole Bassett, while talks remain ongoing with a "top" Portuguese club.

Bassett is one I've been waiting on.  I figured there was a real good chance he made a move this summer.  I hope Colorado isn't holding on for too much because I think Bassett is a name for 2026 and would love to see him get some top level soccer experience ASAP.

If Steffan wants to stay the USMNT number 1 (or get it back), he's gonna have to leave city. He's not beating out ederson and he's not gonna iron out his wrinkles without consistent playing time 

59 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

This kid has been quietly solid but it looks like the Revs being so good this year is bringing scouting eyes to the team.   I hope some one is willing to take a chance on Turner given his age (which is not old for a keeper).

This turned out to be quite the college draft for NE.  This kid was taken after Buchanan by the Revs.

======================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

The #NERevs are on a tear, and European clubs are taking notice of more and more of their players. You can add DeJuan Jones to that list. I'm told that a pair of Bundesliga clubs have expressed interested in the Revs left back.

Say no more!

Just now, TripItUp said:

Doh!

All in good fun.  I actually remember clicking on the article but never took the time to read it.  So I'm glad you posted it again.

I remembered it from the big comic-book style GGG artwork.  

1 hour ago, encaitar said:
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic did not start today for Chelsea against Tottenham.

Came on at halftime....... at RWB again.

Ziyech started w Havertz and Werner up front and had two goals. 

Just now, El Floppo said:

Ziyech started w Havertz and Werner up front and had two goals. 

Yeah.  Saw that.  Ziyech looked very dangerous all game long.  Doesn't bode well for Christian.  I'm betting Mount/Werner/Havertz are the expected front 3 and if Ziyech is playing that well, then Christian will be the second guy off the bench, not first.  Also, if rumors are true that Chelsea are getting Lukaku....  oof.  Then Christian likely moves to third off the bench after Werner as well.  

CP is gonna need to take every chance he's given this summer if he wants extensive play time at Chelsea.

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Yeah.  Saw that.  Ziyech looked very dangerous all game long.  Doesn't bode well for Christian.  I'm betting Mount/Werner/Havertz are the expected front 3 and if Ziyech is playing that well, then Christian will be the second guy off the bench, not first.  Also, if rumors are true that Chelsea are getting Lukaku....  oof.  Then Christian likely moves to third off the bench after Werner as well.  

CP is gonna need to take every chance he's given this summer if he wants extensive play time at Chelsea.

one small bright side is GGG won't have to worry as much about his minutes....

• Like 1

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

German outlet Kicker stated that Joe Scally was Borussia Monchengladbach’s “preseason winner” throughout camp. 18-year-old could make competitive debut in German Cup this weekend(Mon.) against Kaiserslautern.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, encaitar said:

ziyech was somewhat of a forgotten man last season. He’s been on fire in these first few exhibition games. If Lukaku joins the team, Pulisic will be in a dogfight for minutes. I personally think that’s a great situation for him. They are playing for multiple trophies this season so there will be plenty of minutes to go around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Gabriel Slonina became the youngest goalkeeper in MLS history tonight at 17 years old and picked up a clean sheet.

God do we need our youth national programs to start up again soon.

Other than the ~18 year olds already breaking through, Busio, Scally, Cowell, etc -- there must be a big group in the next tier we basically haven't heard anything about in the last couple years, right?

Going to be some nice surprises in the coming months I'd think.

4 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Other than the ~18 year olds already breaking through, Busio, Scally, Cowell, etc -- there must be a big group in the next tier we basically haven't heard anything about in the last couple years, right?

Going to be some nice surprises in the coming months I'd think.

I don't have a sense on the national level, so take it for what it's worth, but 2006-2008 is the crop to watch for (U16-U14).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I remember my first NBA game watching... no idea.  Some scrub, warming up.  And he hit like 20 shots in a row.

We underestimate by a lot how good any professional athlete is.  The worst players are still so incredible.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

does anyone have access to this story?  I am interested to see if we have a Benny-JK confrontation coming between Hoppe and GGG.....

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1423240235153072130?s=20

You can read by opening in Incognito.  You can buy the shirt here if you're so inclined :lol: https://dls-print.com/gregg-berhalter

Late in the Concacaf Gold Cup semifinal last week in Austin, with the U.S. men’s national soccer team locked in a scoreless draw with Qatar, Coach Gregg Berhalter made two substitutions.

Matthew Hoppe was one of the exiting players — and he was not happy about it. As he neared the sideline, he voiced his frustration. Berhalter responded.

It was a rare flash of ire directed at the coach, who, from all accounts, has fostered strong bonds and a family atmosphere in his young player pool. It was alarming coming from a 20-year-old forward in his first extended stay with the national team.

After the 1-0 victory, on a goal assisted by Hoppe’s replacement, they talked it out.

“As a player, you want to play, you want to stay on the field,” Hoppe said in an interview with The Washington Post this week. “Gregg played; he knows what it’s like. I let the emotions get the better of me. There is no hard feelings there.”

Hoppe, though, still felt bad about his behavior. So as the delegation moved to Las Vegas for the final against Mexico, he decided to make amends in a lighthearted way.

He enhanced a photo of Berhalter’s shaved head with an artistic touch and arranged for it to be plastered on a T-shirt.

Matthew Hoppe and U.S. Coach Gregg Berhalter at team party after 1-0 victory over Mexico in Las Vegas. (Courtesy Matthew Hoppe)

To avoid distracting the championship preparations, Hoppe kept it under wraps until after the Americans upset their archrivals, 1-0, on Sunday.

At the postgame party, he wore it under a dark blazer. When Hoppe saw Berhalter, he opened his blazer. They shared a laugh and posed for photos.

“Gregg and I have a unique relationship,” Hoppe said. “It’s very positive. It’s unlike any other relationship I’ve had with a coach, the way he brings his players together. He has his ways to motivate and build bonds in the team. And it’s gotten us the Nations League trophy [in June] and the Gold Cup trophy.”

Through a team spokesman, Berhalter said Hoppe asked him what he thought of the shirt and he said “it was great.” Hoppe said he plans to present Berhalter a shirt next time they cross paths.

Hoppe’s contributions to the Gold Cup championship — starting assignments in each of the three knockout matches and the late winning goal against Jamaica in the quarterfinals — thrust him into the mix for the 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign. In the first of 14 matches over seven months, the United States will visit El Salvador on Sept. 2.

“Gregg was able to put trust in me even though he hadn’t seen me much with the team,” Hoppe said. “The Gold Cup was really positive for me, for my development and for my confidence.”

His confidence doesn’t seem to be lacking.

Hoppe hadn’t represented the United States at any level until this year but has endeared himself to the fan base with not only his menacing attacking qualities but his facial expressions and knack for irritating the opposition — qualities that elicited comparisons to former U.S. star Clint Dempsey.

After a breakout season with German club Schalke, Hoppe received his first U.S. call-up in May for a friendly against Switzerland. It was primarily an introduction to the program and the established players. He didn’t play, and he was not selected for the subsequent Nations League squad. He was, though, among four European-based players named to a young Gold Cup team.

Starting on the left wing in four of the six matches, he proved his worth with the ability to take on defenders, serve crosses and threaten in the penalty area.

Before the final, the Southern California native was also tasked with securing tickets for immediate family and relatives, friends and former coaches. Hoppe, Gyasi Zardes and Kellyn Acosta had the largest delegations. Some teammates donated their complimentary tickets to Hoppe’s cause.

“We were able to bond unlike any other team I’ve been on,” Hoppe said, reflecting on his first extended U.S. experience. “Gregg did a really good job bringing all the guys together and creating that sense of community, where no matter what is happening, we’re going to fight for each other. It showed in the tournament. It feels weird not being with them right now, you know?”

With the tournament over, Hoppe will pivot back to his club career, though there seems to be some question of whether he will return to Schalke, which was relegated to the second division from the Bundesliga for the first time in 30 years.

A young player with a high ceiling and rising market value, debt-ridden Schalke could end up selling him before European transfer windows close in a few weeks.

“I’m a Schalke player right now and I am a proud Schalke player,” Hoppe said from home in Orange County, Calif. “I love the fans. The club has been good to me. It’s been flattering to receive interest from other clubs, but my future is something my club and my agent will decide.”

That uncertainty comes just seven months after he became the first American to record a Bundesliga hat trick and six months after he signed his first pro contract.

The Gold Cup experience added another layer to a substantial year.

“It’s been crazy,” he said, “but it’s been good.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2