What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

It has to be I guess.  I think Weah and Pulisic will both be in similar positions this year for minutes.  They both have to really shine as subs (or in Cup matches) to get a run of league starts. 
Barring injuries for the guys in front of them.  It might be a bit of a blessing if the US players get some game time as subs to stay relatively sharp, but aren't beat up enough to prevent them from playing in WCQ games. 

Barring injuries for the guys in front of them.  It might be a bit of a blessing if the US players get some game time as subs to stay relatively sharp, but aren't beat up enough to prevent them from playing in WCQ games. 

Precisely.  Perfect season for them both to get moderate minutes.

I wasn't very confident after Nations League that Weah would make the roster but after Gold Cup he seems be more likely than not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lille play today...I think their season opener. They beat PSG in the french league vs cup winners game.Weah subbed in for David as the first sub with Lille winning in that one...a sign of things to come unless David (or Weah) move on or get hurt.

he's getting minutes as a preferred sub- is that enough at 21yo?
Weah came on for David again in the 60th (again, first off the bench) with Lille losing 1-3. No assists, but on the field to help bring Lille back to 3-3 in the 97th min. 

Precisely.  Perfect season for them both to get moderate minutes.

I wasn't very confident after Nations League that Weah would make the roster but after Gold Cup he seems be more likely than not.
I just don't think Weah has gotten enough quality minutes to gauge where he is for the US. Hopefully this season will rectify that, even if primarily off the bench.

Konrad has a real opportunity to force himself into the picture pretty much immediately. I’m not sure if it would make sense to call him in September, but if he gets regular time and plays likes he’s played with them so far it’s going to be impossible not to call him from that second group of games onward. I think he’s better than Weah

OM has come back from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 late.  Game has been suspended temporarily because too many idiots in the stands are tossing bottles on the field.

Konrad has played the whole game so far.

yuck

================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

What a mess Boavista is in. Due to having failed to pay transfer fees to FC Dallas and Houston for Reggie Cannon & Alberth Elis, they can’t register new signings. The club only has 16 player ahead of tomorrow’s game. 17 if Cannon gets back in time.

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
Please turn back on my youth national team programs!!

==================

MLS Buzz

@MLS_Buzz

If you’re not on the Kevin Paredes hype train yet, don’t wait any longer. He’s really close to being dominant in MLS. If he can get a little more polish, he’ll be sought out by some top clubs very soon.

He drew 4 fouls and went 4/4 on duels in the opening 12 minutes against Montreal. He’s cracked

Liam Keen

@LiamKeen_Star

Talks are still ongoing with Atletico Madrid for Rafa Mir. Not a done deal yet - nothing agreed with Wolves. Player fancies the move. Club Brugge have offered £4m for Owen Otasowie. Offer being mulled over by the club. #wwfc

I'd bet on his career over anyone else in the pool right now.
This was heretical when I said similar things a while back.

Thanks for that all-touch. I wonder with some of them- they look like all positive touch and don't include mistakes. I love seeing the mistakes too. 

Derek translates the recent Kicker interview with Reyna.  Some good stuff in here.  We saw some of Gio's first willingness to work hard defensively in Nations League and it is interesting that his new Dortmund coach is working on this more with him.

https://twitter.com/RaeComm/status/1424465359495745542?s=20

one thing I have always read is that German youth football is one of the most cut throat environments around and yet every one who comes through Dortmund constantly talks about how well they are treated.  I assume this must be a feeling that feeds itself.  Young player come up, are treated well and they in turn treat the next guy who comes up.

I thought it was pretty cool that it was Sancho who asked that Reyna take his number 7.

This was interesting.  JK thinks Sargent is making a mistake leaving Werder and that he should stay in Bundie 2 instead.

=========================

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-josh-sargent-transfer-jurgen-klinsmann-reaction-8218966

Former US national coach Klinsmann believes the 21-year-old may have made a hasty decision.

"I have followed Josh’s career for many, many years as he is one of biggest talents in the US soccer," he said, interviewed by ESPN. "He has done so well at such a very young age. I think he is already in a good place."

"Even if it is a season in Bundesliga 2 you play for Werder Bremen, which is one of the most traditional teams in Germany, and even in the second division they will play in front of 30,000 or 40,000 fans."

"If it’s for one year only I don’t think that is a big difference to the Bundesliga. In his stage of development, and it is only my personal opinion, I think he is fine where he is. If he wants to make the jump to the Premier League right now then give it a shot but I don’t think it’s necessary."  

This was interesting.  JK thinks Sargent is making a mistake leaving Werder and that he should stay in Bundie 2 instead.

=========================

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-josh-sargent-transfer-jurgen-klinsmann-reaction-8218966

Former US national coach Klinsmann believes the 21-year-old may have made a hasty decision.

"I have followed Josh’s career for many, many years as he is one of biggest talents in the US soccer," he said, interviewed by ESPN. "He has done so well at such a very young age. I think he is already in a good place."

"Even if it is a season in Bundesliga 2 you play for Werder Bremen, which is one of the most traditional teams in Germany, and even in the second division they will play in front of 30,000 or 40,000 fans."

"If it’s for one year only I don’t think that is a big difference to the Bundesliga. In his stage of development, and it is only my personal opinion, I think he is fine where he is. If he wants to make the jump to the Premier League right now then give it a shot but I don’t think it’s necessary."  
Interesting the size of the crowd was relevant to JK. I never considered that at all.

Interesting the size of the crowd was relevant to JK. I never considered that at all.

I think the general high level point is that many people are still going to care even in Bundie 2.  And caring equates to a certain level of expectation of performance.

Payet is pretty much an ideal partner for Konrad to work on developing his "sauce" game.  

This has to be the sauciest USMNT player pool of all time.  Guys like Hoppe, KDF, Aaronson, Weah, McKennie, and even Pulisic may still have a lot to prove, but they're all prepared to try to make something happen.  I don't think teams are going to be able to take our creativity away just by kicking Pulisic anymore.  

Gio Reyna all touch (bring something to wipe up with after).

He's like Aaronson as far as being too front-foot to play as a 4-3-3 midfielder IMO, but lord is he good with the ball.  And unlike Pulisic he's letting the ball do all the work. 

I'd bet on his career over anyone else in the pool right now.

I have to keep telling myself it's just third division opposition every time he pulls out the Michael Laudrup impression with those through balls.  Lordy. 

I have to keep telling myself it's just third division opposition every time he pulls out the Michael Laudrup impression with those through balls.  Lordy. 

One thing I've noticed about players who are good is that they surprise me.  Touches come sooner or with the off foot, sprayed over a longer distance, or splitting the defense in a clever way from what I was "expecting".  The Paxten Aaronson goal for example -- no backswing, into the 90 (no joke, it's Messi-esque).

Reyna does this like four times in that vid.

Norwich draw 26,000 at home.  And will obviously play in front of massive crowds away a lot of weeks.  It's definitely going to be more people than the B2 over the course of the season.

Maybe the point is that soccer's a bigger deal in Bremen than it is in Norwich, but the number of fans is kind of a dumb argument.

I think the general high level point is that many people are still going to care even in Bundie 2.  And caring relates to a certain level of expectation to performace.
Sure. Schalke is a big, storied club... I'm thinking sim to Newcastle going down. No worries about disappearing into tiny oblivion.

My concern is getting him on the offensive front foot.

One thing I've noticed about players who are good is that they surprise me.  Touches come sooner or with the off foot, sprayed over a longer distance, or splitting the defense in a clever way from what I was "expecting".  The Paxten Aaronson goal for example -- no backswing, into the 90 (no joke, it's Messi-esque).

Reyna does this like four times in that vid.

The thing about Reyna is that I really haven't seen him play very well centrally before.  Which is one reason I've always blanched about all the people who constantly complain about GGG playing him on the wing (because that's where he played for Dortmund too).  But if he can really play at this tempo, making fast aggressive decisions centrally, that's an entire new dimension for the national team.  Particularly if he's combining with guys whose best strengths are off-ball movement like Weah and Zardes (though to be fair, everyone's a step down from Haaland at that skill).

The thing about Reyna is that I really haven't seen him play very well centrally before.  Which is one reason I've always blanched about all the people who constantly complain about GGG playing him on the wing (because that's where he played for Dortmund too).  But if he can really play at this tempo, making fast aggressive decisions centrally, that's an entire new dimension for the national team.  Particularly if he's combining with guys whose best strengths are off-ball movement like Weah and Zardes (though to be fair, everyone's a step down from Haaland at that skill).

Add in Aaronson adding that same kind of dimension and it's scary what those guys could do together if allowed to be very fluid up front.  Which is also why I want to see what they can do without a true #9 and just let those guys ball up top with Pulisic/Gio/Musah/McKennie/Aaronson all out there at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread