What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (21 Viewers)

Joe Scally gets his debut today at only 18 for Gladbach in a German Cup game in which he started.  Sciaretta said he had a really strong first half.

Joe Scally gets his debut today at only 18 for Gladbach in a German Cup game in which he started.  Sciaretta said he had a really strong first half.

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

Gladbach coach Adi Hütter discussing the inclusion of 18yo American Joe Scally (due to injuries) in the starting XI against Kaiserslautern live on ARD. “He’s a right footed player playing on the left tonight. I hope he can show in this game what he showed in pre-season.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Scally even caught the eye of Wonderkids today

=================

Football Wonderkids

@fbwonderkids

Joe Scally (18) in his 1st @borussia start:

90 min

Clean sheet

1 chance created

2 dribbles won

6 duels won

5 interceptions

1-0 win

Scally shows much promise even on the less-preferred left side.

Time will tell if he starts Friday’s opener v. Bayern

MIAMI (AP) — The United States’ opening World Cup qualifier against El Salvador will be played in San Salvador, where the government has banned spectators because of the coronavirus pandemic.

FIFA and CONCACAF, the North and Central American and Caribbean governing body, said Monday the Sept. 2 match will kick off at 8:05 p.m. local time (10:05 p.m. EDT).

The U.S. will host Canada on Sept. 5 at Nashville, Tennessee, at 7 p.m. CDT (8 p.m. EDT) and will play Honduras at San Pedro Sula on Sept. 8 at 8:05 p.m. local time (10:05 p.m. EDT).

===========

* The ELS game with no fans contradicts a report from last week that vaccinated fans would be allowed in stadium.

* The Honduras game(as well as the ELS game) are surprisingly not being played in the hottest part of the day.  Playing at night should help the US not melt.

* Both away games are listed on Paramount+.  Does any one know if CBSSN will simulcast these games as well?

Tim Spiers

@TimSpiers

Re Owen Otasowie, Wolves have had an offer of £3.4m on the table from Club Bruges for more than a week. Looking to push nearer £5m. Either way his exit looks extremely likely.

The last few years have seen dual nats be fairly cautious of making a decision too early.

But I am starting to wonder if that could end up hurting players as the pool deepens.

I look at Julian Arauju turning down the Gold Cup call up for the US.  Not only did he open up a space for Moore on the roster, Moore unexpectedly played pretty well and likely jumped ahead of Arauju in the RB depth chart.

If Arauju had accepted the call up, he would have had the same chance to impress that Moore did, due to Cannon's injury.

@Dinsy Ejotuz I like your A lineup a lot better.  Weah out on the wing for the A team really jumps out to me as wrong. I want Reyna there, and that allows one of our good midfielders to get out there.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Weah doesn’t get called in for qualifying. I’m all in on Konrad right now, I’d prefer him coming off the bench over Weah. I just don’t think we’ve seen enough from Weah yet

I really worry about defensive cover for Dest whenever I look at these lineups, whether he’s on the left or right. It just looks like it’ll be a problem no matter what against good teams

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Weah doesn’t get called in for qualifying. I’m all in on Konrad right now, I’d prefer him coming off the bench over Weah. I just don’t think we’ve seen enough from Weah yet

I'd be shocked if Weah isn't one of the four first-team wings. 

But if Konrad keeps playing like he did in Week 1 the day that we're leaving a really good player off the 23 is going to come sooner than expected.  There's really no way you're going to bring three left-side wingers and we don't play with a true #10.  So either Konrad or Aaronson might end up watching.

Possible Pulisic implications

==============

[Tuttosport] Chelsea are only willing to listen to offers for a permanent sale for Hakim Ziyech. It is difficult for Ziyech to end up at Milan under the conditions with which the Diavolo would like to sign him, which is a loan with option to buy formula.

Genk are out of Champions League.  Genk did not play McKenzie in either leg and lost both games.

New Boys (Pefok) are through to the final round of qualifying now and will play a home and home with Ferencváros, all in the hopes to be fed to a team whose forward line is Messi, Mbappe and Neymar.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
[Tom Bogert] FC Dallas have agreed in principle to a 2-year loan of US youth int'l Dante Sealy to PSV, per sources, though nothing 100% done yet. Sealy, 18, signed his homegrown deal in 2019. He had previously trained with PSV. Per Dutch reports, he would join their second team initially.

[Tom Bogert] FC Dallas have agreed in principle to a 2-year loan of US youth int'l Dante Sealy to PSV, per sources, though nothing 100% done yet. Sealy, 18, signed his homegrown deal in 2019. He had previously trained with PSV. Per Dutch reports, he would join their second team initially.

Is dutch 2nd league a step up from MLS?

Is dutch 2nd league a step up from MLS?

He is not playing almost at all in MLS.  He has played only 62 minutes all year.  The loan is in the hopes of getting him some minutes.  If he does well then maybe PSV considers him for the first team and an eventual transfer.

It is a no lose situation for all involved imo.

There is no real good way to compare leagues like this.  Typically it is enough to know the MLS is loaded with full international level players from all over the world while the division 2 in Holland is basically all prospects or vets that have no ability to be in a decent first division any more.

So we are guaranteed to have two more American's in the group stage this year as the final round of qualifying has these pairs of Americans playing each other.  The two winners move on to the group stage.

Wingo (Ferencvaros) vs Pefok (Young Boys)

Aaronson (Salzburg) vs Cappis (Brondby)

He is not playing almost at all in MLS.  He has played only 62 minutes all year.  The loan is in the hopes of getting him some minutes.  If he does well then maybe PSV considers him for the first team and an eventual transfer.

It is a no lose situation for all involved imo.

There is no real good way to compare leagues like this.  Typically it is enough to know the MLS is loaded with full international level players from all over the world while the division 2 in Holland is basically all prospects or vets that have no ability to be in a decent first division any more.

At some point it does become a "lose" situation.  It's almost like the MLS is turing into the last option for domestic players when as you mentioned, there's some decent soccer being played there.  

At some point it does become a "lose" situation.  It's almost like the MLS is turing into the last option for domestic players when as you mentioned, there's some decent soccer being played there.  

It only becomes a lose situation if you think it is better for a young player to sit and never play.  He is not good enough for MLS right now.  There is no shame in that.  Young players from every league in the world are loaned out in the hopes of finding minutes.

I personally look at it the opposite way that you do.  I think this is absolutely fabulous for our young players developments.  MLS is now at a level where if you break through at a young age, big leagues and teams are going to take notice because you have to be very good to make an impact.  We want this cycle to happen as much as humanly possible.

The more kids that get noticed, the more kids that get sold.  The more kids that get sold, the more money is fed back into development to create the next kid and the next kid and as players move the more opportunities open up for other players.

Look at Reynolds,  If Cannon does not move, Reynolds never gets his chance, and now that Reynolds impressed and moved it opens up a spot for another player to get their chance.

This is the system we have basically been waiting 20+ years to happen, and I think we are just at the very tip of the ice berg. 

This is not golden generation stuff, I think this may be sustainable.

It only becomes a lose situation if you think it is better for a young player to sit and never play.  He is not good enough for MLS right now.  There is no shame in that.  Young players from every league in the world are loaned out in the hopes of finding minutes.

I personally look at it the opposite way that you do.  I think this is absolutely fabulous for our young players developments.  MLS is now at a level where if you break through at a young age, big leagues and teams are going to take notice because you have to be very good to make an impact.  We want this cycle to happen as much as humanly possible.

The more kids that get noticed, the more kids that get sold.  The more kids that get sold, the more money is fed back into development to create the next kid and the next kid and as players move the more opportunities open up for other players.

Look at Reynolds,  If Cannon does not move, Reynolds never gets his chance, and now that Reynolds impressed and moved it opens up a spot for another player to get their chance.

This is the system we have basically been waiting 20+ years to happen, and I think we are just at the very tip of the ice berg. 

This is not golden generation stuff, I think this may be sustainable.

Does this kid really fit your situation outlined above?  

I don't want to disparage this kid so let's just say he's a good player and short of the level of some of the other recent players that have transferred.  Is Dallas getting any money for this loan?  It seems to me at some point the MLS has more credibility vs other leagues that you work your tail off in training and try to make it MLS.  It seems to me like this should be a viable option for some kids rather than everyone head to Europe because it's Europe.

And thanks for your thoughts and discussion.  

Does this kid really fit your situation outlined above?  

I don't want to disparage this kid so let's just say he's a good player and short of the level of some of the other recent players that have transferred.  Is Dallas getting any money for this loan?  It seems to me at some point the MLS has more credibility vs other leagues that you work your tail off in training and try to make it MLS.  It seems to me like this should be a viable option for some kids rather than everyone head to Europe because it's Europe.

And thanks for your thoughts and discussion.  

No two situations are the same.  We want as many paths as possible for our players.  The massive size of our country creates the need for many different development paths.

I have no knowledge of the finances of this particular move.  My guess is they won't get any money for it unless it turns into a transfer but instead is being done to get him some minutes and exposure in Holland.  Remember that we posted about 8 months ago Dante being at PSV's training center so this has likely been in the works for a while.

It goes both ways too.  If a player is not getting time in Europe, he can come back to MLS to try and find minutes.  Indiana Vassilev is a good example.

No two situations are the same.  We want as many paths as possible for our players.  The massive size of our country creates the need for many different development paths.

I have no knowledge of the finances of this particular move.  My guess is they won't get any money for it unless it turns into a transfer but instead is being done to get him some minutes and exposure in Holland.  Remember that we posted about 8 months ago Dante being at PSV's training center so this has likely been in the works for a while.

It goes both ways too.  If a player is not getting time in Europe, he can come back to MLS to try and find minutes.  Indiana Vassilev is a good example.
I also don’t think we should look at “MLS” as some uniform monolith when it comes to player development.  Dallas has a TON of prospects in the pipeline both ahead and behind Dante, and probably just can’t play all of them.  Perhaps if he was a homegrown of say, Cincinnati or Colorado, he’d have a chance to get more minutes here.

Horvath will get his debut tonight in the Carabao Cup.  I don't know if that is an indication that he will be the number 2 going into the season or not.

Using 538's Club Rankings, the median MLS team is just about as good as the median Dutch first division (Eredivisie) and every MLS team is as good or better than the worst Eredivisie team.  MLS just doesn't have the strength at the top.

Those rankings have some play in them, but not enough that there's any question MLS is quite a bit better than the Dutch second division.

Using 538's Club Rankings, the median MLS team is just about as good as the median Dutch first division (Eredivisie) and every MLS team is as good or better than the worst Eredivisie team.  MLS just doesn't have the strength at the top.

Those rankings have some play in them, but not enough that there's any question MLS is quite a bit better than the Dutch second division.
Joining PSV (globally important team) and playing on their second team as an initial move as a relatively untested kid...doesn't reflect all of that.

Joining PSV (globally important team) and playing on their second team as an initial move as a relatively untested kid...doesn't reflect all of that.
I mean...he's not exactly switching from MLS to join the dutch 2nd div. He's joining a massive club without an equivalent in MLS with the opportunity to impress and learn. As Andy says, he can always head back to MLS if this doesn't take.

Users who are viewing this thread