What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (8 Viewers)

This was heretical when I said similar things a while back.

Thanks for that all-touch. I wonder with some of them- they look like all positive touch and don't include mistakes. I love seeing the mistakes too. 
he looks less like a kid in that video.  Seems to look lankier than I recall as well.

Using 538's Club Rankings, the median MLS team is just about as good as the median Dutch first division (Eredivisie) and every MLS team is as good or better than the worst Eredivisie team.  MLS just doesn't have the strength at the top.

Those rankings have some play in them, but not enough that there's any question MLS is quite a bit better than the Dutch second division.

This supports my inclination...thanks.

Is MLS better than Dutch 2?  Absolutely.  Not even a question.  However, Sealy isn't playing.  He's getting 5 to 10 minutes runouts at the end of matches already decided.  

PSV is one of the giants of Dutch football.  They have a coaching staff 3 times the size of FC Dallas' staff.  They have a scouting staff that dwarfs the Dallas' scouting staff.  Someone on that scouting staff decided that it was worth taking a chance on Sealy and bringing him in to see if they can mold him into the player they think he can be.  Playing under that coaching staff AND getting time in Dutch 2 is absolutely better than what he has going on right now.

That wouldn't be the case if he were getting minutes in MLS, but he's not.

This is great to see.  St Louis has traditionally been an area of strong soccer players so it nice that St Louis City already has a couple of academy teams up.

https://www.stlcitysc.com/academy-players/

Some one on twitter mentioned that one of the best prospects out of Philly's academy is on this U17 St Louis team.   I guess he is only 14 but already has ties to Bayer Leverkusen (is expected to sign with them in a couple of years) and the St Louis academy director is German so there may be a connection here.

This is great to see.  St Louis has traditionally been an area of strong soccer players so it nice that St Louis City already has a couple of academy teams up.

Some one on twitter mentioned that one of the best prospects out of Philly's academy is on this U17 St Louis team.   I guess he is only 14 but already has ties to Bayer Leverkusen (is expected to sign with them in a couple of years) and the St Louis academy director is German so there may be a connection here.
It's cool to know some of these names. My son has played at a couple of these clubs and the names of the coaches/directors are people we've encountered as well. Will be interesting to see how this develops from the current clubs here in town.

this is the kid.  People who seem knowledgeable about him say he is trying to get a Euro passport so that he can move over early like Pulisic and Reyna did.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8hkBPgXsAcqr1R?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

[Tom Bogert] FC Dallas have agreed in principle to a 2-year loan of US youth int'l Dante Sealy to PSV, per sources, though nothing 100% done yet. Sealy, 18, signed his homegrown deal in 2019. He had previously trained with PSV. Per Dutch reports, he would join their second team initially.

it is official now:

=======================

FC Dallas 

@FCDallas

We have loaned Homegrown Dante Sealy to PSV Eindhoven for the remainder of the 2021 season until June 2023 with an option to buy.

Sad business...ziyech had looked good. At a guess looked like shoulder or collarbone.
Yeah.  That's a bad break for Hakim.  He'd been playing lights out in preseason.  Pulisic will need to take this chance to impress though.  That's a crowded attacking group.

Yeah.  That's a bad break for Hakim.  He'd been playing lights out in preseason.  Pulisic will need to take this chance to impress though.  That's a crowded attacking group.
I know guys like Mount have just returned to training, but it's nice to see CP was the guy to come on for him

Not happy that Heard got away

Shoot, it looks like the site that predicts the Fifa rankings made a mistake in their math.  The US did not jump to 9th, they jumped to 10th, still trailing Mexico who is in 9th.

Assuming FIFA uses the rankings for Pot 1, we need to leap frog three teams during qualifying to get to 7th (which is what we need for Pot 1, assuming Qatar gets seeded as the host).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8k3v1nXIAAk7JD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

This is the highest US rankings since 2006 (which also marks the spot where FIFA changed the rankings system).

:heart:

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

Leipzig defender Willi Orban tells @Sportbuzzer about his new coach Jesse Marsch. “I haven’t had a coach so far who has been this close to us. He says to us “Boys, your problems are my problems.” That gives you a tremendous feeling & for a coach like that, you walk through fire.”

No need for a translation on this one :(

==============

De fire Brøndby-spillere (Christian Cappis, Mathias Greve, Tobias Børkeeiet og Thomas Mikkelsen, som testede positive i en kviktest, fik, som offentliggjort tidligere i dag, efterfølgende foretaget en PCR-test. Disse test har vi nu fået svaret på, og de bekræftede desværre, at alle fire er Covid-19-positive.

The pipeline looks so good!

===================

Last year it was Brenden Aaronson. This year, it appears that Red Bull Salzburg has targeted DC United midfielder Kevin Paredes as the next rising American star they will pluck from MLS.

Multiple sources tell ‘MLS Multiplex’ that the Austrian club is closely tracking the DC United midfielder with a possible transfer approach coming either this window or in January.

The interest in Kevin Paredes shouldn’t be a surprise given that he is one of the top young players in MLS. The link to Salzburg is encouraging given that they routinely play their young signings and are known for developing players for moves either to RB Leipzig in the German Bundesliga or other European sides.

And before any one asks, no Austria is not a step up from MLS.

However, their top team in RBS is likely much better than any MLS team and will have a much easier path to a top tier team some day and is just one round away from the group stages in Champions League.

This is a fantastic article, well worth a read to get an understanding of how the choices get made. 

I never quite appreciated the fact that Mexican Americans are considered Mexican in the US and gringos in Mexico.  They have no consistent identity. 

This is Ochoa's story.   The part about not getting a chance to play in the CR game really hit home.   

That was a meaningless game and was something GGG easily could have done for a half.

============================

My Path to Mexico

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a fantastic article, well worth a read to get an understanding of how the choices get made. 

I never quite appreciated the fact that Mexican Americans are considered Mexican in the US and gringos in Mexico.  They have no consistent identity. 

This is Ochoa's story.

My Path to Mexico
That was an excellent article and brought up things I never would have thought about.

Thanks for posting that. Really great.  :thumbup:

One thing that struck me was that I bet the current make up of the US team is causing the Mexican American's to not feel included.

It feels like African American players are having a much easier time integrating because our team has plenty of strong African American players to bond with.

The normal white bread guy like a Hoppe and Horvath can feel at home because we have plenty of wonder bread to go around.

The dual nats from Europe have others on the team who have taken their same path and have things in common.

But when a young Mexican American kid, like Ochoa or Alvarez comes to camp, they have no one to really bond with the way kids their age can bond.

I don't necessarily think this is anyone's fault.  I just don't know how to correct it.  Uly or Mendez breaking through would have helped but they have not progressed in their development.

That was an excellent article and brought up things I never would have thought about.

Thanks for posting that. Really great.  :thumbup:

yeah there were a lot of subtle and non subtle points in there that certainly made me go "hmmm."   As I mentioned above, I am not sure there is anything that is obvious that can be fixed here from a big picture point of view (I am for now ignoring the fact that GGG did not play him in the friendly).   

It also gives a better indication of why even in 2021, the stands are full of Mexican American's who only cheer for Mexico.

NewlyRetired said:
One thing that struck me was that I bet the current make up of the US team is causing the Mexican American's to not feel included.

It feels like African American players are having a much easier time integrating because our team has plenty of strong African American players to bond with.

The normal white bread guy like a Hoppe and Horvath can feel at home because we have plenty of wonder bread to go around.

The dual nats from Europe have others on the team who have taken their same path and have things in common.

But when a young Mexican American kid, like Ochoa or Alvarez comes to camp, they have no one to really bond with the way kids their age can bond.

I don't necessarily think this is anyone's fault.  I just don't know how to correct it.  Uly or Mendez breaking through would have helped but they have not progressed in their development.
I was going to try to point out that you're wrong...  but I only came up with Lleget...  so...  

NewlyRetired said:

This is Ochoa's story.   The part about not getting a chance to play in the CR game really hit home.   

That was a meaningless game and was something GGG easily could have done for a half.

My Path to Mexico
F Mexico and all that, but going to be really hard to ever root against that guy.

Wish him the best. Great article

I was going to try to point out that you're wrong...  but I only came up with Lleget...  so...  

I am missing the connection here.  I thought Lleget had Argentine roots not Mexican roots? 

Even with that I am pretty sure he grew up middle class "white" in San Francisco.

NewlyRetired said:

My Path to Mexico
This really just makes me mad at GGG, similar to not playing Musah at all in Nations League (though I’m not comparing the situations to each other).

Situations change quickly, and it’s not like we got a Donnarumma-level talent blocking Ochoa’s path at GK for the next 10 years.  There’s a non-zero chance Ochoa ends up better than Steffen, Horvath, Turner or whoever. 

That said, I’m happy that he found happiness.

Yeah.....GREAT article.

Obviously it will probably be years before we know whether he made the right decision from a playing time standpoint. But given his experiences, you can't blame him for the choice.

Hopefully the US will learn from this and do better courting kids like Pepi, Gomez and other still to come.  Its certainly a major weak spot and has been for some time.

Love that he wrote and shared that, on a bunch of levels- and he certainly didn't owe anybody an explanation, and certainly not one as open and honest as that.

Users who are viewing this thread