Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, BeTheMatch said:

Everyone in here seems to agree that GGG should be fired if they lose tonight. Me too.

 

 

I'm not on board with this.  He just won two huge cups this summer.  I'm not about to call for his head regardless of what happens tonight, but I get that is the popular opinion.  For me to get there, I need two pieces of data that none of us have:

1. What were the team goals for this window as between him and his boss?

2. Who is his replacement?

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BeTheMatch said:

Everyone in here seems to agree that GGG should be fired if they lose tonight. Me too.

That being said, shouldn't he just be gone regardless? I mean, once you get that close to being gone, does anyone really think he can salvage anything?

Say they win ugly tonight. Great, US rights the ship. But then what? What about next cycle? How many points does he need to get there to keep his job?

When does it end?

It probably never ends to be honest.   

International coaches get fired like candy all over the world during qualifying.  It just comes with the territory.  It is not quite "only as good as your last result" but it leans in that direction.

No matter what happens tonight, we know next window is the easiest of the cycle (at least on paper).  That works for us whether GGG remains as coach and has a chance to build some momentum or if he gets fired and the new coach has a chance to gain some quick confidence with his team due to the easier schedule.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BeTheMatch said:

Everyone in here seems to agree that GGG should be fired if they lose tonight. Me too.

That being said, shouldn't he just be gone regardless? I mean, once you get that close to being gone, does anyone really think he can salvage anything?

Say they win ugly tonight. Great, US rights the ship. But then what? What about next cycle? How many points does he need to get there to keep his job?

When does it end?

We just don't have that much talent making it through our system.  Our pay to pay youth system has been/is killing us.  There is no such thing as development after fourteen for 90% of the players.  They are so busy looking for that one kid, that thousands fall through the cracks.  We will never be very good until we sort the youth mess out.

Edited by PIK95
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

 

I'm not on board with this.  He just won two huge cups this summer.  I'm not about to call for his head regardless of what happens tonight, but I get that is the popular opinion.  For me to get there, I need two pieces of data that none of us have:

1. What were the team goals for this window as between him and his boss?

2. Who is his replacement?

 

I think we can kind of guess on 1.

I honestly have no idea on the replacement that would jump into this circus with zero friendlies to prepare for the next window.    There are plenty that might be really good and would take the job, but they are all currently employed.  This is an awful time to change a coach if you are hoping for not a retread.

It is a shame that I don't think JK has the chops, because that would be ultra entertaining to watch and he is available (and he is available for a good reason, unlike Conte).

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

We just don't have that much talent.  Our pay to pay youth system has been/is killing us.  There is no such thing as development after fourteen for 90% of the players.  They are so busy looking for that one kid, that thousands fall through the cracks.  We will never be very good until we sort the youth mess out.

As an old fart who has been watching this since the 80's, this appears to be a case of we have already advanced a long long ways, but still have so far to go.

We probably need 3-4 times the amount of academies we have today, and that may not be possible financially.  We just don't have the depth of lower division professional teams that can fund academies so that there is no pay to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I paid $9.50 for a cup of crappy beer at the Drive By Truckers show last weekend - that is something to get upset about.

 

 

Where did you see DBT? Went to their Baltimore show weekend-before last with a few other long-lost FBGs and FBgals.  They were the last show I saw pre-pandemic and the first I've been to since.

And you convinced me. Gonna order paramount plus instead of watching on Telemundo just for the studio show.

Edited by scorchy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

As an old fart who has been watching this since the 80's, this appears to be a case of we have already advanced a long long ways, but still have so far to go.

We probably need 3-4 times the amount of academies we have today, and that may not be possible financially.  We just don't have the depth of lower division professional teams that can fund academies so that there is no pay to play.

I'm not sure what the answer is.  Whenever I hear the pro people talk about development, it's to find them that one guy.  I think we have had 3-4 home grown guys actually break through in like twenty years.  Separating USA soccer completely from MLS would be a good start.  To much money involved, and many of the same people at lower levels.  ODP has always been a joke, and it's been mostly used to recruit kids into pay to play teams with false promises.

  Personally, my son has been lucky with his opportunities so far.  That being said, the system is so messed up, we will never win a world cup in my lifetime. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

I'm not sure what the answer is.  Whenever I hear the pro people talk about development, it's to find them that one guy.  I think we have had 3-4 home grown guys actually break through in like twenty years.  Separating USA soccer completely from MLS would be a good start.  To much money involved, and many of the same people at lower levels.  ODP has always been a joke, and it's been mostly used to recruit kids into pay to play teams with false promises.

  Personally, my son has been lucky with his opportunities so far.  That being said, the system is so messed up, we will never win a world cup in my lifetime. 

Can you expand more on what you mean by 3 to 4 homegrown in 20 years. Who is we in this case?  Are you speaking locally or nationally?  I am very interested in your knowledge level because mine is not good enough in this area. 

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So no fine on Kessler for the infamous toss but was fined for embellishment.  This guy is a bit of a character :)

———————

Henry Kessler

@HenryKessler4

I’m getting fined and it’s not for throwing the ball in the stands. :) In all seriousness, I hate when players embellish contact so I’ll own up to this one (despite a player running straight into me, I made more of it than what it was).I’ll do my best to avoid this in the future

However I would throw that ball again if I had to, and I’d throw it even further

========
 

🤣

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Can you expand more on what you mean by 3 to 4 homegrown in 20 years. Who is we in this case?  Are you speaking locally or nationally?  I am very interested in your knowledge level because mine is not good enough in this area. 

This may sound silly, but I really have to be careful what I post publicly.  My knowledge is mostly the New England area.  But I'm sure it's the same throughout the USA.  Driving, bb in thirty mins.

Edited by PIK95
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

If my choices are a draw tonight or a loss, I would probably take the loss if it ensures GGG is fired and we can find a suitable internationally experienced coach.

 

 

Considering that 4 years ago.....a draw instead of a loss in one of our games would have gotten us to Russia, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with that.

I've never been some huge GGG fan.  I thought the hiring process was incredibly sketchy (due to the nepotism)  and I dont think he's anything close to a world class manager.  There are certainly things I DONT like about him, mainly that he has shown some blind spots for a few guys that haven't deserved it. But....to be fair......it seems like he has moved past most of those.  (although I reserve the right to lose my mind if Yuell steps onto the pitch tonight) At this point, Lleget might be the only exception. But given what was available to him in this window (and the extreme lack of experience in the younger, much more talented healthy options) I can't totally blame him for that.  Reyna is hurt, Musah is hurt, Mckennie couldn't keep it in his pants.   You could make the argument he should have called Green or De La Torre, but neither one is a fireable offense.

All that being said, a loss tonight would put us in a horrendous spot. A draw isn't much better. But I do believe that if you're going to fire a coach.....you better have a better (or at least equal, but different) option available to take his place. I'm not sure the US has that person waiting in the wings.

 

edit: Oh yeah......he has a boner for Ream as well. Not a fan of that.

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

This may sound silly, but I really have to be careful what I post publicly.  My knowledge is mostly the New England are.  But I'm dure it's the same throughout the USA.  Driving, bb in thirty mins.

Understood. Any knowledge you can share with out getting in trouble would be welcome.  Since you are NE based I would love to see if you know why Miles Robinson slipped through the cracks with the Revs academy.  My first thought is he was focused on basketball but that is just a guess  

 

 

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

 

Considering that 4 years ago.....a draw instead of a loss in one of our games would have gotten us to Russia, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with that.

I've never been some huge GGG fan.  I thought the hiring process was incredibly sketchy (due to the nepotism)  and I dont think he's anything close to a world class manager.  There are certainly things I DONT like about him, mainly that he has shown some blind spots for a few guys that haven't deserved it. But....to be fair......it seems like he has moved past most of those.  (although I reserve the right to lose my mind if Yuell steps onto the pitch tonight) At this point, Lleget might be the only exception. But given what was available to him in this window (and the extreme lack of experience in the younger, much more talented healthy options) I can't totally blame him for that.  Reyna is hurt, Musah is hurt, Mckennie couldn't keep it in his pants.   You could make the argument he should have called Green or De La Torre, but neither one is a fireable offense.

All that being said, a loss tonight would put us in a horrendous spot. A draw isn't much better. But I do believe that if you're going to fire a coach.....you better have a better (or at least equal, but different) option available to take his place. I'm not sure the US has that person waiting in the wings.

I think Lletget and Ream are his two binky players he just can’t live with out.

I wanted to see LDLT so bad this summer but I can’t put that on GGG when the guy refuses his chance at a call up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TripItUp said:

 

Disagree, a road loss to Honduras not the end of the world.  Home draw vs. Canada and road draw to El Sal much worse.

Nothing is the end of the world with 11 games to go but 2 points from 3 games is a very bad start IMO.  If Panama bunker and get a point at home against Mexico the start is even worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

we need points. period.

5 from this round would put us in a decent spot. 3 in a not perfect, but not dead spot. 2... 

how "bad" or just "meh" 3 will be will likely depend on the other games.  A Mexico win and a draw or 2 from the others games and 3 is recoverable from.   But if Panama scrapes a point and the other games end in wins for CR and Canada, 3 points is going to look much worse.

But as I said earlier, still 11 games to go.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

 

I'm not on board with this.  He just won two huge cups this summer.  I'm not about to call for his head regardless of what happens tonight, but I get that is the popular opinion.  For me to get there, I need two pieces of data that none of us have:

1. What were the team goals for this window as between him and his boss?

2. Who is his replacement?

 

 

I'm not on board with firing GGG if we are not improving the actual position...I'm assuming Earnie has some guys teed up, but that may not be a safe assumption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Understood. Any knowledge you can share with out getting in trouble would be welcome.  Since you are NE based I would love to see if you know why Miles Robinson slipped through the cracks.  My first thought is he was focused on basketball but that is just a guess  

 

 

Did he?

I mean he was brought into a U18 camp in ‘13 and then the U20 side in ‘16.  He then left Cuse earlier to sign as a GA player.  Granted once that happened it took him awhile to beat out Parkhurst and Pirez, but that was a stacked Atlanta team.  If anything he’s pretty close to just following the typical developmental cycle for that time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sammy3469 said:

Did he?

I mean he was brought into a U18 camp in ‘13 and then the U20 side in ‘16.  He then left Cuse earlier to sign as a GA player.  Granted once that happened it took him awhile to beat out Parkhurst and Pirez, but that was a stacked Atlanta team.  If anything he’s pretty close to just following the typical developmental cycle for that time.

 

I was asking specifically about the Revs academy since PIK has some knowledge of that situation.  I don’t think Turner was ever in the academy but maybe I am wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

 

I'm not on board with firing GGG if we are not improving the actual position...I'm assuming Earnie has some guys teed up, but that may not be a safe assumption.

IMO,  he better damn well have a list of possibilities given his work load.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, scorchy said:

Where did you see DBT? Went to their Baltimore show weekend-before last with a few other long-lost FBGs and FBgals.  They were the last show I saw pre-pandemic and the first I've been to since.

And you convinced me. Gonna order paramount plus instead of watching on Telemundo just for the studio show.

 

Our local music festival - https://www.summerfest.com/artist/drive-by-truckers

Good show, as always.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

IMO,  he better damn well have a list of possibilities given his work load.  

totally agreed

if he doesn't, his ### should be on the hot seat

Accountability goes all the way up the food chain

Edited by TripItUp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need to do some more research on this so what I say is based on feel more than knowledge.

It feels like an American's path to MLS is two fold.  1, you either get in an MLS academy and have a direct path to the first team or 2, you end up in college and hope to take the Dike, Robinson path.

I have always hoped that a 3rd leg would grow and that would be a path from USL to MLS.  This 3rd leg is the item I need to do more research on but it feels like this could be improved significantly.  If we could get most of the USL teams to have professional level academies and if we could get MLS teams to properly pay transfer fees to a lower division US team when a player pops, I think we would be much better off in the long run.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

So no fine on Kessler for the infamous toss but was fined for embellishment.  This guy is a bit of a character :)

———————

Henry Kessler

@HenryKessler4

I’m getting fined and it’s not for throwing the ball in the stands. :) In all seriousness, I hate when players embellish contact so I’ll own up to this one (despite a player running straight into me, I made more of it than what it was).I’ll do my best to avoid this in the future

However I would throw that ball again if I had to, and I’d throw it even further

========
 

🤣

:lmao:

chris russell

@watke_

pretty heated debate developing over if it's possible to throw it further. He's in such tight space it'd be tough. I think there's a way that involves reversing around bedoya and flinging it with that momentum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I don't get the Paramount+ hate. Its $5.99/month and you get the Concacaf world cup qualifiers, Champions League, Europa League and a ton of other soccer leagues/games. Kate Abdo and the fantastic studio teams. Its like a gift from the soccer gods.  Its not like I'm Mr. Moneybags McGee over here, and this is unbeatable entertainment value for me.

I paid $9.50 for a cup of crappy beer at the Drive By Truckers show last weekend - that is something to get upset about.

 

 

For me it’s because there’s already both an NBC sports network and a CBS sports network channel and this content should be on one of those.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Broke out my USA Mia Hamm jersey I bought before the 1999 World Cup.

I'm drinking beer from a God Bless the USA koozie, and I'm flying the American flag.

Let's get some!!  :headbang:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

For me it’s because there’s already both an NBC sports network and a CBS sports network channel and this content should be on one of those.

 

This. Its not about the handful of dollars a month (I actually get Paramount for free with something else I buy). Its about taking things that used to be part of our already absurdly expensive cable/satellite packages and moving them behind a paywall. 

On many weekends, we used to get multiple EPL games at the same time. Sometimes there was a game on USA and NBC sports and NBC.  Now they're cherry picking games and putting them on Peacock to drive sub numbers and boost their mostly lousy original content.

I know I could probably piece together most of what I want to watch through a few different services and dump directtv. But I dont want to have to watch TV in 6 different aps. I want to turn on my TV.  I pay a fortune for the ~2 dozen channels I consistently watch (and to do so, I have to buy 200 other channels that I'll NEVER watch). Its complete garbage to then try and nickle and dime me for live sporting events when I'm already buying 30 sports channels.

I just think its a slippery slope. Its anti-consumer.  Right now its just a qualifier that most of the country couldn't care less about. Next thing you know, we'll be dropping $100 a piece to watch the Super Bowl on PPV.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

What time is kickoff?  I'm at soccer practice.  Is it on tv?

10:30 start time (not sure if that is exactly kick off or not.  The game had been moved from 10:00 to 10:30 a few days ag0)

Paramount+, Telemundo and Universo

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

I know I could probably piece together most of what I want to watch through a few different services and dump directtv. But I dont want to have to watch TV in 6 different aps. I want to turn on my TV.  I pay a fortune for the ~2 dozen channels I consistently watch (and to do so, I have to buy 200 other channels that I'll NEVER watch). Its complete garbage to then try and nickle and dime me for live sporting events when I'm already buying 30 sports channels.

FWIW, the a la carte option left us with more content and a lower price tag overall.  You could probably do the same, and end up with Paramount and Peacock and $$ in your pocket.

But yeah, there's a time investment up front and maybe some hardware depending on how old everything is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

tecatito brought down in the box and stepped on.

no call.

no var.

I don't particularly like VAR the way it is used in some cases but I have to say not having it in these qualifying games is unsettling.   Over 14 games I guess it will probably balance out.

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I just saw the highlight.  Ochoa had no field vision there.  He cut off a cross that no one on Panama was waiting for and handed it to a striker from point blank range. 

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/lxpvgm

That seems kinda harsh.  He has to play the ball and it's hit pretty good.  He could have held it, but no way it's a slam dunk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...