What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

2012 Olympic Qualifying > never forget
Saw something from Klinsmann pre-WC (maybe on the ESPN Road to Brazil) where he talked openly about the disappointment in that team failing to qualify, and specifically disappointment in the players. I think Mix was the only U23 player on the Olympic qualifying squad who made it to the WC squad, and we saw how well the WC went for him.

Saw something from Klinsmann pre-WC (maybe on the ESPN Road to Brazil) where he talked openly about the disappointment in that team failing to qualify, and specifically disappointment in the players. I think Mix was the only U23 player on the Olympic qualifying squad who made it to the WC squad, and we saw how well the WC went for him.
You are correct. Mix was the only player to make the WC roster. Only Boyd made the 30 man roster besides Mix.

In fairness, Mexico won the gold medal in 2012 and looked like **** all through qualifying. I get Klinsmann's point that he wants younger players to progress up to the senior team and have experience as leaders and people who dominate games at the lower levels. But you can't let that blind you. Every team is structured differently. A team with Freddy Adu, Brek Shea, and Mix Diskerud all playing at the same time isn't going to be the most stout defensive team out there.

The next US National Team game is September 3rd.

The US will travel and play the Czech Republic who are ranked 34th in the world right now.

With the game being in Europe, this will likely be a heavy Euro roster and light on MLS and Liga MX players. This may give a look at some different players right off the bat.
Looks like another game has been added.

On November 19th, US will travel and play The Republic of Ireland.

This will again likely be heavy Euro based again as this will be during MLS post season play.

You are correct. Mix was the only player to make the WC roster. Only Boyd made the 30 man roster besides Mix.
Joe Corona was on the 30-man roster too. He scored 4 goals in the Olympic Qualifiers (3 against Cuba, 1 against El Salvador).

Ives is reporting that Lyon have submitted a bid for Yedlin now as well - joining Roma and Genoa

French powerhouse Lyon has become the latest club to approach Major League Soccer about the services of U.S. World Cup standout DeAndre Yedlin.

Sources within MLS have confirmed to Goal USA that Lyon has made an official transfer offer for Yedlin, joining a growing list of prospective suitors.

Clubs from England, Italy, France and Portugal have expressed interest in the 21-year-old Yedlin, who has quickly become one of the most coveted transfer targets in American soccer since impressing as a substitute in the World Cup. Yedlin's combination of youth, speed and marketability has clubs all across Europe lining up offers for the Seattle Sounders defender.

AS Roma has reportedly made an offer for Yedlin, while sources have confirmed to Goal that fellow Italian side Genoa has also put in a bid for Yedlin.

Yedlin played his first match since the World Cup on Wednesday in Seattle's U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal victory against the Portland Timbers. Yedlin played 90 minutes for the Sounders, who return to action on Sunday with another match against the Timbers.

Like I said a while back, I think Yedlin (assuming his head is on straight) would get some good training in Serie A, Ligue 1, or the Bundesliga.

Crazy how that guy's life changed just as a sub in the last game the US team played.
A Latvian passport opens doors
yup. It makes a huge difference.

But hats off to the kid though. As green as could be he did exactly what JK always preaches and that is to make the best of your opportunities.

His wallet is about to get much bigger. Whether his development continues all depends on his playing time where ever he goes.

I would love to see him stay in Seattle until next summer, and then if it is a bigger team that bought him, that he gets loaned out immediately.

Watching Diego turn him like a top numerous times the last time Seattle played NE, Yedlin still has plenty to learn in MLS, assuming he wants to stay as a wing defender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy how that guy's life changed just as a sub in the last game the US team played.
He played in two games.

And what exactly is "marketability"? They trying to say they like the cut of his jib? Pretty smile? Weird thing to "report" to me.

He played in two games.

And what exactly is "marketability"? They trying to say they like the cut of his jib? Pretty smile? Weird thing to "report" to me.
Lalas with virtually no ball skills was very marketable

Reyna with as many balls skills as any US player ever had was not marketable

Marketability is about look, flair, ability to speak as much as on field skill

As a side note I think Yedlin played in 3 games. Two as late game subs and 1 as an early game sub.

From Greg Seltzer:

Sorry, Freiburg fans, but the flag goes up for the second time in a month. As much as Kicker may think it is so, I have again been assured by those who would know that the Bundesliga club is not chasing Matt Besler.

In fact, these folks are pretty confused, as Freiburg are not even looking for a center back. Furthermore, I am told, any club able to snare the US defender will need to break the Sporting KC transfer fee record.

So who is in the chase? Well, I am about 98% and 70% certain of two English suitors in particular... but you will just need to wait a teensy bit longer for me to spill.

I would kill for Kyle Martino's hair.

As much as ESPN loves Lalas/Twellman/Keller/whoever, and I don't particularly mind any of those guys, Martino has to be my favorite ex-USMNT commentator. Smooth in front of the camera, good analysis, not over-the-top like Lalas can be.

As much as ESPN loves Lalas/Twellman/Keller/whoever, and I don't particularly mind any of those guys, Martino has to be my favorite ex-USMNT commentator. Smooth in front of the camera, good analysis, not over-the-top like Lalas can be.
I like him too. This is the best soccer announcing combo in the country. I am hoping Fox brings them over next year.

Just browsing Wikipedia....I had no idea Soony Saad had made the one-time switch and has been capped by Lebanon. I had kinda wondered why we never really discussed him as a USMNT prospect, but just figured our more-seasoned MLS people had seen enough of him to where he wouldn't be a serious prospect.

Just browsing Wikipedia....I had no idea Soony Saad had made the one-time switch and has been capped by Lebanon. I had kinda wondered why we never really discussed him as a USMNT prospect, but just figured our more-seasoned MLS people had seen enough of him to where he wouldn't be a serious prospect.
I didn't realize that either. He's young enough that the idea of him breaking into the squad down the road doesn't sound all that crazy.

That Akron team in the 2010-2011 time frame was just loaded for a college team

Teal Bunbury, Darlington Nagbe, Perry Kitchen, DeAndre Yedlin, Darren Mattocks, Kofie Sarkodie, Chris Korb

lol Kyle Martino tweeted at me cause I said he was my favorite US soccer commentator.

And Bill Hamid was outstanding today. A couple point blank stops and that one stop on the swerving shot from Harris were all great.

I like him too. This is the best soccer announcing combo in the country. I am hoping Fox brings them over next year.
I dig Martino also but who's the 'combo'?

Same... is it Arlo?

Always been a fan of Martino- on and off the field.

Same... is it Arlo?

Always been a fan of Martino- on and off the field.
Lead announcer is John Strong. Imo he is the best native born US announcer. He is young at 28 but has been calling soccer since he was in college. Moved up to be the lead announcer for Portland and then got another bump to the national game when Arlo White moved.

Arlo is almost exclusive to EPL now as he moved back to England when NBC acquired the EPL contract.

DieKlinsMannschaft @Klinsmannschaft · 28m

U20 MNT forward Rubio Rubin starts, goes 76 min, and scores 2 goals as the Utrecht reserves win their first preseason match 4-0.

Dempsey on his national team future

TUKWILA, Wash. -- Clint Dempsey hopes the United States' loss to Belgium in the round of 16 isn't his last World Cup game.

Dempsey wants to continue playing with the national team as long as possible, he said on Friday, first focusing on staying with the team through the 2016 Copa America before worrying about the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Dempsey, who turned 31 in March, believes it's possible to still be in contention for a spot in Russia when he's 35.

"I want to play with the national team as long as possible," he said on Friday as he rejoined the Seattle Sounders. "I am looking forward to push and be a part of Copa America for sure. And if you can still play at a high level and perform then, yes, you try and be one of those players that play at the international level for a long time.

"But you have to continue to perform. It's not about saying you want to do it and it's going to happen. You have to put in the work."

After becoming the first American to score in three World Cups, Dempsey needed a break upon his return to the United States from Brazil. So until appearances on the "Late Show with David Letterman" and "Good Morning America" this week, Dempsey was mostly away from the spotlight.

"I got away from the game. It's tough to watch the other teams still being in the competition and you are jealous because you still want to be part of things," Dempsey said. "I was texting with different friends and family what the scores were and stuff like that so I was still involved, just not watching the games on TV. It was good for me to get a little bit of downtime."

The U.S. captain noted there was an undercurrent with the American team of continuing the efforts to grow the game in the States. Dempsey said the team was well aware of the attention back home.

"You want to do well. You want to continue the growth of the game and the sport and you want to continue pushing the game in the right direction in the states, and you feel that responsibility as a player," Dempsey said.

He noted the changes that had to be made when striker Jozy Altidore went down with a hamstring injury in the first group game against Ghana. The injury forced Dempsey to play as a target forward at the top of the American attack, rather than a slightly withdrawn position where he could have seen more of the ball as a playmaker.

"Still I thought we were able to play well and get the job done," Dempsey said. "At the end of the day we just came up a little bit short in the Belgium game."

In the short term, Dempsey said he'll be ready for Sunday night's MLS game between the Sounders and rival Portland that's expected to draw another crowd of about 65,000 in Seattle. Seattle and Portland already played one wild match this season, a 4-4 draw in April where Dempsey recorded a hat trick with two late goals that rallied the Sounders for a point.

It'll be the second match this week between the Cascadia rivals after facing off in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals on Wednesday. Seattle beat Portland 3-1 in extra time to advance in the tournament.

"I'm back, I want to play," Dempsey said.

65k for an MLS game :shock:
Seattle averages over 40k each game but for a few games (I think 4 this year), they open up the entire stadium for sales, instead of limiting the ticket sales.

They get 60k plus crowds every year since they started opening up the stadium for select games.

The atmosphere is great, well worth a watch for people looking to see their first MLS game.

Here is how Seattle has grown its average attendance since they started

2009: 30,943

2010: 36,174

2011: 38,496

2012: 43,144

2013: 44,038

Here is how Seattle has grown its average attendance since they started

2009: 30,943

2010: 36,174

2011: 38,496

2012: 43,144

2013: 44,038
They single-handedly bring up the MLS average attendance. That's like 6x more than a Chivas game.
Yup, those are the two polar opposites in the league.

If you remove Seattle(high outlier) and remove Chivas(low outlier) from the data, MLS as a league averaged 17,683 last year.

From Thursday

DieKlinsMannschaft @klinsmannschaft · 2h

U20 midfielder Emerson Hyndman continues to get first team playing time with @FulhamFC. Played the 2nd half in today's friendly vs Rangers.

=========================

In a Fulham friendly today against Motherwell he played in second half and had an assist in a 2-0 win.

Terrence Boyd recently transferred from Rapid Wien in Austria to RB Leipzig in Bundesliga 2.

This is the Red Bull team in Germany like the one in MLS.

RB Leipzig has made impressive progress up the German league ladder since 2009 when RB took over the team

2009/10: 5th Division

2010/11: 4th Division

2011/12: 4th Division

2012/13: 4th Division

2013/14: 3rd Division

2014/15: 2nd Division

NewlyRetired said:
From Thursday

U20 midfielder Emerson Hyndman continues to get first team playing time with @FulhamFC. Played the 2nd half in today's friendly vs Rangers.

In a Fulham friendly today against Motherwell he played in second half and had an assist in a 2-0 win.
Son of the old Dallas, IIRC, coach?

The coach I'm thinking of was very well respected... not still coaching?

NewlyRetired said:
From Thursday

Son of the old Dallas, IIRC, coach?

The coach I'm thinking of was very well respected... not still coaching?
Grandson.

Schellas resigned last year and I don't think he is coaching right now.

Does anyone know why Bradley was not in the game day roster yesterday against Houston? I did not see him on the injury report and wondered if he was being rested or if it was a late injury during warmups.

Speaking of Houston, Brad Davis has 3 goals in the 2 games since he has been back.

Users who are viewing this thread