What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (4 Viewers)

Honestly 25 or so is when most CBs make a big move. Now seems like exactly the time. The lack of rumors make little sense and transfermarket rates him at $4.4m. I can only think Atlanta is demanding a really high asking price
I hope to hear some chatter soon.  Usually when a team over prices we hear about it (ala Dike).

Aaronson is reportedly being scouted by AC Milan and RBL.

In prep for this, see the below.

=============

Manuel Veth

@ManuelVeth

Exclusive! #RBSalzburg are scouting D.C. United's Kevin Paredes as a potential Brenden Aaronson replacement.
I think Paredes is going to be a star but not sure how he's a replacement for Aaronson given they are playing BA as more of a 10 or false 9. 

I think Paredes is going to be a star but not sure how he's a replacement for Aaronson given they are playing BA as more of a 10 or false 9. 
I am sure the tweet should not be taken literally.  It is probably more just coincidence one may be leaving and one may be coming.

Allegri addressing whether Weston may be transferred due to his lack of confidence in the player

=========

Allegri on Weston "He can't play in the middle in front of the defense. He has goals in his legs. It is not true that I don't have a good feeling with him, on the contrary he played a very orderly game against Torino. I have great confidence in him, otherwise he would not play."

USMNT top 25 player rankings

Not much to quibble with there. Miles swaps with Zimm. Move Pepi somewhere right behind him in a group with Musah and just above Weah.  Otherwise, looks pretty solid.

ETA -- I would move Richards up a good bit as well as Busio, but at the same time, that's just a preference and nothing wrong with where those guys are.

On that list, I would love to see Morris be able to contribute soon and see where he is.

Nips not in the top 30

Lletget not in the top 30

Yueill, not in the top 30

What an extremely confusing list for GGG this must be.

I should not be telling others how to handle this, since the troll has caught me numerous times but lack of engagement from everyone is the correct move here.  Maybe the troll will just go away.

I think it was @CletiusMaximuswho mentioned GGG needs more credit for the turn over in the team and after considering this more, I think he is right.

6 months ago, Miles, Turner, and Pepi were non national team entities.  And then coupled them with Antonee never finding his feet has quickly given us 4 core players in a very short time.  This is very unusual for an international team.

Maybe interesting only to me, but though Scally is starting again today for Gladbach, he was held out of training all through the break for load management. 
Makes sense. 

He literally could not have played any more than he did before the break.  100% of all available minutes were used.  While in the past that was more common, in today's game that is very rare to see (outside of keepers and maybe CB's)

He started today at RWB.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys feel the team speed is compared to past versions of the team?  I am talking physical speed, not speed of thought.

I am really happy overall.

Dest and Jedi have great speed on the wings.

Miles is as fast as you could hope for as a CB

Adams is more quick than fast but that quickness suits his position and playing style

Weston and Musah are more chuggers, but if you watch them, once they get a step, they are rarely caught from behind.

Pulisic can fly with and with out the ball (when not on crutches) and Gio is deceptively fast because of his gilding style.  There have been two separate times I can remember in Bundesliga games where they have flashed the "fastest player" stat and Gio was the fastest player for Dortmund in said game (top speed recorded in game)

I think it was @CletiusMaximuswho mentioned GGG needs more credit for the turn over in the team and after considering this more, I think he is right.

6 months ago, Miles, Turner, and Pepi were non national team entities.  And then coupled them with Antonee never finding his feet has quickly given us 4 core players in a very short time.  This is very unusual for an international team.
I said a couple days ago he doesn’t get enough credit for playing the kids.  How many managers that are close to the hot seat are going to trot out a lineup with an average age of 21 years old?  The best thing he’s done IMO.  We all feel we are one cycle away from possibly something special and if it turns out to be special then this played a role in it.  You can’t tell me that many other managers wouldn’t have Jozy or Bradley or some other vet that’s past it out there.  I agree with everyone else that Lleget should be done and Nips and Ream should play much more limited minutes but he’s turned this roster over and won while doing it.  

I said a couple days ago he doesn’t get enough credit for playing the kids.  How many managers that are close to the hot seat are going to trot out a lineup with an average age of 21 years old?  The best thing he’s done IMO.  We all feel we are one cycle away from possibly something special and if it turns out to be special then this played a role in it.  You can’t tell me that many other managers wouldn’t have Jozy or Bradley or some other vet that’s past it out there.  I agree with everyone else that Lleget should be done and Nips and Ream should play much more limited minutes but he’s turned this roster over and won while doing it.  
I will be dead before I ever see our full team together but if by some miracle it happens in the next window, we could see 3 18 year olds in the starting lineup (Gio, Musah and Pepi).  That is insane by any measure.

That will be the last window though it could happen as Musah and Gio turn 19 that month and Pepi shortly there after in January.

Yeah...I could move guys up and down (Musah, Miles, Pepi and Richards up), but generally that's the group.

Morris is the big uncertainty to me. So many leg injuries to a guy that genuinely relies on his pace and isn't young any more. I didn't see a lot of his Sounders play, so not sure how well he does with combinations...something that is needed with this A group. I think of him as more of a slasher, direct go at goal type of guy and not a work the triangles type (which is fine as needed)
He was playing the best football of his career last season in the MLS.  It's the reason he got his big chance in England.  He was just starting to find his feet there and contribute when he got hurt.  He's still in his mid 20s, it's not like he's old.  Most NFL players come back fine from knee injuries in their mid to late 20s.  Soccer is a different animal sure, but I have hope he can be 95% of what he was and that is a better player than all of our other wingers outside of CP and Gio IMO.

Who's to say they will be core players after Qatar though?  There very well could be a player that is 15 or 16 right now that will break through in 3 years and displace these guys. 

Also, the team that GGG inherited was ancient and full of not great players.  Easy to overhaul and give youths a shot when you see Bradley turned into a traffic cone repeatedly. 

I will be dead before I ever see our full team together but if by some miracle it happens in the next window, we could see 3 18 year olds in the starting lineup (Gio, Musah and Pepi).  That is insane by any measure.

That will be the last window though it could happen as Musah and Gio turn 19 that month and Pepi shortly there after in January.
Three 19yos in the same lineup is pretty insane too 

How do you guys feel the team speed is compared to past versions of the team?  I am talking physical speed, not speed of thought.

I am really happy overall.

Dest and Jedi have great speed on the wings.

Miles is as fast as you could hope for as a CB

Adams is more quick than fast but that quickness suits his position and playing style

Weston and Musah are more chuggers, but if you watch them, once they get a step, they are rarely caught from behind.

Pulisic can fly with and with out the ball (when not on crutches) and Gio is deceptively fast because of his gilding style.  There have been two separate times I can remember in Bundesliga games where they have flashed the "fastest player" stat and Gio was the fastest player for Dortmund in said game (top speed recorded in game)
It's a solid crop of speed. And we've had guys over the years with wheels, but I don't remember ever having CBs as fast as we have now.

While I think some of this is fair, I think you may be overemphasizing it.

We have a black hole from 25-30 or so -- guys in their prime -- with little to no players in that range being of significant caliber. There is not a single field player in this range that should be a starter right now other than at center back (either Brooks or Zimmerman with Miles). If the whole pool is available, I'm not sure another is even in the discussion. 

I will give him full credit for not calling up the old codgers like Costa Rica though. But I think some of the youth movement is just impossible to avoid. 

Maybe interesting only to me, but though Scally is starting again today for Gladbach, he was held out of training all through the break for load management. 
Looking forward to seeing him with the US.  He's been, and is being treated, like a key player.

Not sure how many 18 year olds we can afford to have on the field at the same time, but he's got to be in the picture.

Right -- and Scally is in the mix too.  I'm fairly sure it would be unprecedented in world football for FOUR full national team starters -- core starters -- to be 18.  You see a team every now and then have a phenom who's 18, but never three or four. 

Looking forward to seeing him with the US.  He's been, and is being treated, like a key player.

Not sure how many 18 year olds we can afford to have on the field at the same time, but he's got to be in the picture.
I expect him to be in the squad in November.  One of the reasons GGG used for not calling him up is that he hasn't had any time with the team and would lack chemistry if he was called upon.  Well, with the November window being 2 games I think it's likely that Jedi will play both, or Dest could back him up if needed and Cannon or Yedlin could start RB meaning Scally could come in just to get some practice time and some hang out time with the team, which he needs.

I think Turner was pretty clearly at least the #3 coming into Nation's League.  Most of us were pretty excited for him to get his chance in the Gold Cup.  Miles had a breakout summer though, no doubt.  I remember how nervous most of us were going into the Gold Cup, wondering how Miles would do next to Zimmerman.  Defense was our huge worry in that tourney.  He not only did his part, but then held the defense down even after Zimm got hurt.  What an incredible coming out party that Gold Cup was for him.

I don't remember ever having CBs as fast as we have now.
It's a bit of a different game now though, right? CBs used to not have to cover as much ground or be expected to advance with the ball much.  With the FBs looking for overlaps, the CBs can get more isolated and have to get on their horse more often. 

Pretty silly exercise considering Arena, who did try and use all the old guys to qualify in 2018, still started an 18 year old Pulisic on his squad.
Not following the comparison. 

At this point, are there any guys over 25 we'd want starting? Brooks and Zimm and...? That's the question, not who started under Arena.

I expect him to be in the squad in November.  One of the reasons GGG used for not calling him up is that he hasn't had any time with the team and would lack chemistry if he was called upon.  Well, with the November window being 2 games I think it's likely that Jedi will play both, or Dest could back him up if needed and Cannon or Yedlin could start RB meaning Scally could come in just to get some practice time and some hang out time with the team, which he needs.
Beating a gluey horse, but he should have been in this last camp getting practice time if his exclusion was because of chemistry.

Not following the comparison. 

At this point, are there any guys over 25 we'd want starting? Brooks and Zimm and...? That's the question, not who started under Arena.
Yedlin depending on circumstances/matchup?  But you're right, I'd probably still prefer Dest on the right / Jedi on the left even if Dest is going to get pinned back by an inside forward on the other team.

Beating a gluey horse, but he should have been in this last camp getting practice time if his exclusion was because of chemistry.
Agreed.  I didn't quite understand GGG's reasoning on that.  I do think he'll make the call in November though.  The one thing he's been good about is not digging his heels in on things he's been wrong about IMO.

Here's another crazy thought: these 18 and 19 year olds that are getting caps right now would be seniors in high school or just starting their freshman year of college 20 years ago, maybe breaking into the starting lineup of a D1 program.  They wouldn't be getting super elite upper tier training at Dortmund, Barcelona, etc.  They wouldn't be pros and they wouldn't have 10-15 years of USMNT contributions in front of them. 

I am not a fan of the player but he continues to produce

==========

Matthew Doyle

@MattDoyle76

That was Djordje Mihailovic's 14th assist of the season, 2nd in MLS. The entire Chicago central midfield rotation, combined, has 10 assists. Pretty bad trade for the Fire

Here's another crazy thought: these 18 and 19 year olds that are getting caps right now would be seniors in high school or just starting their freshman year of college 20 years ago, maybe breaking into the starting lineup of a D1 program.  They wouldn't be getting super elite upper tier training at Dortmund, Barcelona, etc.  They wouldn't be pros and they wouldn't have 10-15 years of USMNT contributions in front of them. 
Andy and I didn't even have the option of a genuine pro league to play in when we graduated. College was as good as it got.

I think it was Andy who posted that series of tweets about Experience vs Collective game-time. 

the interesting thing from that to me was the observation that the three teams essentially out-kicking their talent- Panama, El Sal and Canada (tbf- a few hugely talented guys)- were teams that had the earlier rounds of WCQ prior to the Ocho to gel and become collectively cohesive. That hadn't really occurred to me and makes a TON of sense relative to what we've been seeing from the other teams. 

If we can keep that MF and back-line together (not sure who the CB pairing is next to Miles- but good options) and continue to integrate CP, Gio, Aaronson and Pepi... I'm very hopeful. 

RSL is not shy about getting the babies going in the USL

=======

Brian Dunseth

@BrianDunseth

Keep an eye on who is in goal this afternoon for @RealMonarchs

Fernando Delgado - 15 years 2 months and 22 days, believed to be youngest keeper to make pro debut worldwide
that news and this kid sniffing around the first team has been one of the more shocking developments out of MLS this year. 15 yo GK?!

that 13yo kid playing in the USL must be pretty good too- beyond being a man-child.

It feels crazy, I know.   But maybe the success of the 17 year old in Chicago this year gave them the impetus to try it?   

Seems like an easy way to crush a kids confidence though.
Lol...I was thinking about the 17yo when I said sniffing around in my precious post. Floppinho is 14...I can't even fathom- especially a GK

:oldunsure:

===========

Matthew Doyle

@MattDoyle76

Paxten Aaronson appears to have beaten out full Hungarian international Daniel Gazdag for the Union's #10 role.
Paxten vs FC Cincy

He's a clone of his brother.  Looks far less refined/unpolished, but you can see the same work rate is there with a lot of the same qualities.  Assuming continued health, he'll be a piece in 2026 for sure and wouldn't be surprised to see him get involved in a couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread