What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

I wonder when the last time Bayern got taken to the wood shed like this in the league?  5-0 now.

Scally went 70 minutes and was subbed at 5-0.  

Brian "Pumpkinhead" Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

I am usually the last one to hit the "panic" button. But if Owen Otasowie isn't making the bench today for Club Brugge in the Belgian Cup against a lower-tier opponent while Brugge also starts players aged 19, 17, & 16 and has bench players of 17, 19, & 16 - keep the button handy

At this point, it seems like Owen's best bet is to come home to MLS and try to rebuild some sort of career.

But if his attitude is as horrendous as it appears to be,  it probably doesn't matter

Brian "Pumpkinhead" Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

I am usually the last one to hit the "panic" button. But if Owen Otasowie isn't making the bench today for Club Brugge in the Belgian Cup against a lower-tier opponent while Brugge also starts players aged 19, 17, & 16 and has bench players of 17, 19, & 16 - keep the button handy

any of us holding our breath for Owen?

I mean, I was hoping he'd make it and be a part of things... but the train has been heading downhill and off-track for a good year now. feels like the catalyst was that missed last second goal for Wolves against... I forget... but would've snatched a result.

any of us holding our breath for Owen?

I mean, I was hoping he'd make it and be a part of things... but the train has been heading downhill and off-track for a good year now. feels like the catalyst was that missed last second goal for Wolves against... I forget... but would've snatched a result.
Hard to believe how swift he has fallen.  It was just last year that he was getting minutes in the PL as a teenager.

Surely there is a career to redeem there somehow.  Would be nice to have a central player of his size in future versions of the USMNT, if he could get his #### together.  

Hard to believe how swift he has fallen.  It was just last year that he was getting minutes in the PL as a teenager.

Surely there is a career to redeem there somehow.  Would be nice to have a central player of his size in future versions of the USMNT, if he could get his #### together.  
I hope so. More bodies capable of getting EPL minutes the better, especially since as you say he's still fairly young (20). What little I saw of him, nothing particularly jumped out at me- the way it does with Musah- but still hoping he's not following the 3F plan (Freddy Fourth Finland division)

USMNT U-17 training camp roster .

First look at a lot of these guys, yes?
I recognize VERY few names.   And yet it fun to think on this list that there may be 2-4 players who may get a 100 caps some day.
Only one that stands out to me is MF Adrian Gill at Barcelona. He's 15 and obviously a few years away but he's apparently an exceptional talent.

Not sure how he got to Spain so young because I don't think he's a dual. Family must have moved there for him. 

ETA: and that transfermarkt profile is him. He goes by Simon GIll or Gill but transfermarkt only shows Simon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
feels like it has been forever since we had some youth games to follow. 

With the senior side being so young, it is like watching them some how be combined...

Here is a semi hot take.

Joe Scally has been better than both Pulisic and Reyna in his first 3 months in the Bundesliga than they were at the same amount of time in the Bundesliga.*

*Scally is a year older, which obviously helps.

Berhalter was in Charlotte last night, presumably scouting for next month. Mexico rolled out a B/C team for the friendly, so doubt there is much to gather.

I wondered if @Desert_Power was there, it was a fun atmosphere.

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Fiorentina were at FC Dallas' match last night to scout USMNT forward Ricardo Pepi, MLSsoccer has learned. Fiorentina are among the (many) clubs very interested in Pepi, including Bayern, Wolfsburg, Ajax and more.

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Fiorentina were at FC Dallas' match last night to scout USMNT forward Ricardo Pepi, MLSsoccer has learned. Fiorentina are among the (many) clubs very interested in Pepi, including Bayern, Wolfsburg, Ajax and more.
I keep waiting for Fiorentina, with Rocco's money, to go after US players. I wonder if he has any input at all- and I would think he'd have an interest- or if it's strictly soccer business from the front office.

Dumb question time, but I assume the January 30 game in Canada (location tbd) will be at an indoor stadium, right? 
Olympic Stadium in Montreal was originally one of the three venues they put forward for 2026, so hopefully that’s an option. They are at home for both matches in the November window and they’re playing those at an outdoor stadium in Edmonton, which could get dicey. 

Berhalter was in Charlotte last night, presumably scouting for next month. Mexico rolled out a B/C team for the friendly, so doubt there is much to gather.

I wondered if @Desert_Power was there, it was a fun atmosphere.

I didn't go. Went to a few different sports/concerts this month so just relaxing this week. Always a fun time because the Mexico fans are just so into it. I usually go their games with my Mexican friend, but she is back in El Paso.

On another note, had a pretty frustrating experience with the Charlotte FC ticket office since they sold the PSLs for my section to some corporate sponsor. Ended up having to pick a seat from the leftovers. Pretty frustrating.

I didn't go. Went to a few different sports/concerts this month so just relaxing this week. Always a fun time because the Mexico fans are just so into it. I usually go their games with my Mexican friend, but she is back in El Paso.

On another note, had a pretty frustrating experience with the Charlotte FC ticket office since they sold the PSLs for my section to some corporate sponsor. Ended up having to pick a seat from the leftovers. Pretty frustrating.
Damn, sorry you got caught up in that. There were a bunch of folks in the MCC slack that were unhappy as well, and still trying to work out a better solution than they offered.

Looking forward to March though!

Also, ❤️ Pepi. #usmntcontent

Damn, sorry you got caught up in that. There were a bunch of folks in the MCC slack that were unhappy as well, and still trying to work out a better solution than they offered.

Looking forward to March though!

Also, ❤️ Pepi. #usmntcontent

Yeah, I was one of those (Randy) too. Just decided to move on and stop dealing with the negatives. Part of the reasons I wanted the seats in the first place was to get my wife to go, but she is due in early Feb so I doubt she will be going the first year :lol:   

Did you get season tix?

Yeah, I was one of those (Randy) too. Just decided to move on and stop dealing with the negatives. Part of the reasons I wanted the seats in the first place was to get my wife to go, but she is due in early Feb so I doubt she will be going the first year :lol:   

Did you get season tix?
Oh, nice, glad you are in there. I think I'm the only Jake in the slack I think.

Ya, I did a couple tickets in the supporter section. I will split taking my Mrs. and my daughter.

Latest US Soccer podcast with GGG has been released.  I have not yet listen but I will tonight

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gregg-berhalter-podcast-episode-5-world-cup-qualifying/id1514175045?i=1000539746051
Some tidbits

* GGG said if he would go back he would not change his plans of rotation for the Panama game but admitted they got the changes themselves wrong.  He said would still have made plenty of changes if he could have a redo, just different ones.

* GGG said that what Barca wants out of their wingers is different from what he wants, in regards to Dest playing winger but liked that Dest gives them that option if needed and was not ruling it out.

* GGG said he has no intentions of picking a number 1 keeper at this point and basically said that whom ever starts against Mexico will not be the defacto #1 that we should expect to see in every game.  He did issue some concern over Zach's playing time adding that he hoped he could at least get some Cup games in (note this was said before Man City was knocked out yesterday)

* GGG said the expectations and what they ask each keeper to do are different with regards to possession with their feet (I can't say I noticed too much different).  From reading between the lines, he would never sit Turner if he had good feet.  GGG very much values the keeper having good feet.

* GGG was asked for the millionth time about how the team is too young.   GGG said it is a challenge because typically when you are a national team coach, for the majority of the players they are established in their careers and their focus is different.  He said they have to recognize that there are a ton of experiences that these players have never gone through and they as coaches they have to be acutely aware of this.  He also talks about how he enjoys the fact that the conversations he has with many of the players, since they are not established, it is related to what they want to grow into as players.  He brought up the fact that they had 2 18 year old players starting in a WC qualifier which had never happened in US history (and as aside, with a different set of circumstance, Gio and Scally could have started as well (this was me saying this, not GGG). 

* GGG talked about how they create game models for each game.  Each model contains 10 phases of the game.  He said his goal was to keep overriding principles similar game model to game model, but that the individual phases would change based on opponent and game situation.

It is official now

==================

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

Due to local government restrictions, our Nov. 16 WCQ match at Jamaica will be played behind closed doors.

Crap, sounds like he will miss the U20 camp and games

========

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Update: Kevin Paredes undergoing MRI exam today for possible hip flexor, seems unlikely to return anytime soon

Any one had a chance to see this years, at least momentary, break out player of Miguel Berry from the Crew?  He is he second leading scorer per 90 minutes in all of MLS.

He was born in Spain, to American parents, and then moved here when he was 8.

He went to college and was drafted by the Crew who loaned him to the USL for a couple of years.  He has been mostly a sub this season but has grabbed some starts when Zardes got hurt and has been putting up some nice numbers given his lack of minutes.

It is probably more likely to be just a random blip as can some times happen when a striker gets hot during any one season but worth keeping an eye on.

Here are some of his goals (big lad).  I like the 3rd one I linked.  It looks so simple but watch his movement just before the pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk0n3-3yFME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d6TXGzOEZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8RAnkXSvA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ1sPOQmocU

It is official now

==================

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

Due to local government restrictions, our Nov. 16 WCQ match at Jamaica will be played behind closed doors.
Nationwide90FM

@NationwideRadio

The government of Jamaica has reversed its decision to not have spectators inside the National Stadium for the Reggae Boyz World Cup Qualifier against the US on November 16. Five thousand fully vaccinated fans will be allowed to attend the game

[Jackson Felts] Brian Schmetzer just now: "Jordan Morris is going to feature in that game against the Galaxy." Says doctors have medically cleared him to start playing.
Big fan of his.  Rooting for him to have a resurgence. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back better than ever.  Maybe even have a magical left foot by now :unsure:

James Olley

@JamesOlley

Tuchel on Werner and Lukaku: "It is realistic that both of them have a new target [to return to action] and the target is after the international break. For Christian Pulisic, we are looking forward to the Burnley match. If everything goes well he will be in the squad v Burnley."

Users who are viewing this thread