What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (15 Viewers)

Baring a miraculous semi final type run, we are roughly a year away from needing a new coach.

Outside of the normal names we talk about I was wondering what the Philly guys thought about Curtin at this level.  I have been really impressed with him from a far.  He does great work on a pretty meager budget and getting Philly to the Conference finals after losing both McKenzie and Aaronson has impressed me.

I like that young players do not scare him but that may also be an off shoot of not having a large transfer budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all of this- and forgot about Zimm while thinking about US CBs. He's quite good passing, plus his hair. And Miles is decent as well- just a step below guys like Ream, Zimm, Brooks (and I suppose McK). CCV never struck me as being good at all passing the ball out of the back- but I haven't seen him play in a long while. And he was already set up in Europe, so didn't have to "earn" his way over there.

I was really just trying to answer Andy's question... because as I said, I don't really see a problem in his game that would keep him out of europe, especially with his play for the US.

I wonder if that horror pass to Ruiz vs CR made the rounds and scares people off. 

A lot of this is just conjecture without knowing what Atlanta wants for a fee and where he would be willing to go (ie what is the real universe of Europe is).  But, how many clubs really want a 24 year old, 10 million dollar (?) CB with no EU passport (I think).  To put some numbers on that, (and granted this isn't the best comp), but that $10 million transfer value on transfermarkt would be 50th in the EPL, 29th in the Bundesliga, 28th in Serie A, etc for a CB.  That's not exactly screaming, come sign me, especially since that would seem to say he'd either be a 3rd CB at a good team or starting at a bad one.   

I know you know this, but isn't a new problem for American CBs either.  There's been a relatively long line of MLS CBs who end up in this box.

So we all seem to appreciate Miles Robinson's game.  Is there something we are having a blind eye to that would not make Euro teams interested in him?

====================

Doug Roberson

@DougRobersonAJC

Bocanegra said #ATLUTD has received considerable interest in Barco. Some interest in Bello. Nothing yet in Robinson.

I said this before but having watched essentially every match he's played I feel I can somewhat speak to this.  The run he's been on for the USMNT and to a degree with AUFC is not the level of play we saw during 2018-2020.  He showed glimpses but his consistency was always missing.  He would make some blunders that cost the team goals.  And, as others have pointed out, he didn't seem to be comfortable on the ball.  His speed, athleticism and size were his biggest attributes - all great things to have but even being a homer, I never watched him and said - "I can't believe this guy isn't playing in Europe".

Having said all of that, his play has been remarkable the last year+ and he would absolutely deserve a move if he wants it and it works out.

Baring a miraculous semi final type run, we are roughly a year away from needing a new coach.

Outside of the normal names we talk about I was wondering what the Philly guys thought about Curtain at this level.  I have been really impressed with him from a far.  He does great work on a pretty meager budget and getting Philly to the Conference finals after losing both McKenzie and Aaronson has impressed me.

I like that young players do not scare him but that may also be an off shoot of not having a large transfer budget.
He's actually pretty similar to GGG now that I think about it.  Even down to the lack of creativity in the final third.  Union have the same problem the USMNT does at striker.  As excited as I am about the conference finals, I am so friggin sick of seeing Kacper Przybylko trotted out there.  

He's fully into growing through the academy; I don't think he's got any issues with that approach.  

In all the creative, upfield attack... oh.  ok
It makes sense though when you think about it.  MLS teams pour a HUGE amount of their team resources into attacking players, which are typically foreign buys.

That means American players are more likely to get chances on the back end of the field. 

It makes sense though when you think about it.  MLS teams pour a HUGE amount of their team resources into attacking players, which are typically foreign buys.

That means American players are more likely to get chances on the back end of the field. 
of course. and the quality US attacking youth get sold off before they completely take over teams and the league. 

but still- feels like not much has changed from 1996 when you see that.

Opens up a spot on GGG's staff

============

FC Dallas

@FCDallas

From Valencia to Columbus to the USMNT.

Welcome to Dallas, Nico Estévez.

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

Overall, #USSF budget operating at $4.2m surplus through September, which is way better than what was forecast. Returning to the field with full stadiums was a big driver of this

DETAILED ROSTED BY POSITION (CLUB; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3): John Pulskamp (Sporting Kansas City; 0/0), Gabriel Slonina (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 12/0)

DEFENDERS (11): George Bello (Atlanta United; 5/0), Justin Che (FC Dallas; 0/0), Jonathan Gomez (Louisville City; 0/0), Kobi Henry (Orange County SC; 0/0), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution; 1/0), Brooks Lennon (Atlanta United; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 21/3), Kevin Paredes (D.C. United; 0/0), Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA; 1/0), Auston Trusty (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 22/2)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 44/2), Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; 2/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 29/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 15/0)

FORWARDS (7): Taylor Booth (Bayern Munich II/GER; 0/0), Caden Clark (New York Red Bulls; 0/0), Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 4/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 39/10), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 6/3), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew; 65/14)

- Lots of nice young talent, hopefully they get some decent playing time with the veterans to see what they can do. Glad to see Jonathan Gomez except the call up, could be another important dual national we take from Mexico

- Interesting to see Long and Morris back. If Morris replaces Arriola on future call ups I will consider that a win.

- That midfield though....

Yeah, really like that roster other than the midfield.

Turner will obviously play but cool to see the kid get into a camp. Might as well get him accustomed to doing the work, as he's likely to be a staple in U-20 and 23 tournaments for a while.

Several nice potential pieces on the backline. I think they lose Gomez, but you might as well get him into camp and shoot your shot. Cool to see Long back, although he's probably been surpassed on the senior team. Would like to see Che get 45 mins as a CB (which seems to be his better position). Reynolds getting released obviously shows he isn't highly thought of at Roma. He's gonna need a move. That was too big a leap and he obviously got bad luck with TSO getting the job right after. Will be cool to see Paredes as well (I've never seen him play but lots of people seem high on him)

The midfield is not good. Not much sizzle there.  And without another obvious #8 (beyond Roldan) my guess is he goes Yuell, Acosta, Roldan in the MF.

Forwards are as expected (hopefully Morris is healthy enough to play)

Goals for this camp....Woo Gomez,   see what Paredes brings to the table at the international level (although wouldn't both be LB's in Greg's system?) see what Morris/Long have in the tank...give some of the younger guys who are either not getting time or about to go overseas (reynolds, clark, Pepi) some game time to build a little confidence.

Turner starts but would love to see Gaga get 15 minutes.  I assume this will be unlimited subs

Zimmerman is a lock to start.  Should be a camp battle to.see who starts next to him.  Trusty is coming off a great season and would look nice at the LCB spot.

I assume Reynolds or Lennon will start at RB likely based on who looks better at camp.

I would love to see Paredes get a start but GGG has some comfort level already with Bello on the left even if he has not yet looked the part.

The midfield has almost no offensive talent.  I would not be shocked to see Clark move to the 8 assuming GGG's normal formation.

Up front we can let Pepi and Zardes share minutes and let the wings be a camp battle.

Some camp notes:

Dike was considered too beat up and it was decided he needed time off

Milhailovic will be training at Bologna and GGG felt that was going to be better for him long term.  Although this midfield could have used him.

Top 2 teams clash in the Championship today.  Ream starting for Fulham but Jedi did not dress.  I don't know if he is suspended or injured.

I know the SPL is not any better than MLS but if a player in MLS did this, they would be getting a possible look

======================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Christian Ramirez: 2 goals today. 8 goals on the Scottish Premiership season. 11 goals in all competitions this season for Aberdeen - great numbers for the former Houston Dynamo, LAFC, & Minnesota United forward with 2 #USMNT caps and 1 goal

From the twitters…

After Lille’s win, Coach Jocelyn Gourvennec said Tim Weah did not dress because he was injured at the end of practice on Friday. Tests confirmed it’s a quad injury, and Tim will miss deciding #UCL  match at Wolfsburg on Tuesday.

😢

#healquick 
#can’thavenicethings

Mixed emotions as Venezia throttle Verona today. In the live table it moves them up to 14th, 8 points clear of relegation, which is a damn marvel. On the other, neither Busio nor Tessmann are playing and they are up 3-0 on 30'. 

Mixed emotions as Venezia throttle Verona today. In the live table it moves them up to 14th, 8 points clear of relegation, which is a damn marvel. On the other, neither Busio nor Tessmann are playing and they are up 3-0 on 30'. 
Yikes  

Venezia gave up an own goal, then a red card, then a pk.

Now losing 4-3 .  oof

Scally starting yet again today.  I don't know what the record is for total minutes for an American field player in a top 5 league but Scally has to be on pace for one of the highest ever.

Scally has already played 1133 minutes before today's start.

ESPN has him lined up at LWM in a 3-4-3

That is a loss that can haunt a team trying to stay out of relegation.  I hope they have short memories.

Losing after being up 3 goals is amazingly rare.  That might be the only time it happens all year in Serie A.
did the losing happen after either of the US Heroes subbed in?

Both subbed in. Busio at 3-2 and Tessmann at 3-3. Tbf, they had already gotten a red card before either stepped on the pitch. 
thanks- yeah, just looked that up too.

ESPN commentary isn't specific, so no way of telling what impact they had on the game and if they were at all culpable in either of the goals. 

Users who are viewing this thread