Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

US Men's National Team

7 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I think the JMo inclusion is interesting.  Can he play on the wing or be an inside fwd in a 3 man front? How has his form been since return from injury? Can he play defense at all?

His post injury form is basically that US v Bosnia game (where he looked solid) and a couple of Sounders appearances (where he was getting his legs back). This is where playing in that camp in front of GGG has helped him. He's a nips type of defender...which is good- very hard work and willingness to throw himself in there. I think of him more on the wing, but didn't really watch him for club where he might pinch in more...but he's taylor made for the US wide forward IMO. And he has a left foot finally!

As you'd expect for this window, dropping points to ELS or HON would be awful.  And even a draw at Canada is a good result.

And Canada (x2) or Mexico dropping points away is definitely on the table.  

Expected points from the three games:  6.7

So six hurts slightly and seven puts us a little ahead.  Four or five points and we'd all live in Newly Retired's headspace for a month.  Nine and we could book those non-refundable tickets.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

So who else should replace these guys....Sarge? Tessman? Busio? Alex? Ledezma? A case for Busio for sure, I'm on fence between him and Acosta- probably leaning Busio, but of course the drop is substantial to either of them if Adams can't go 270. And maybe this is LDLTs moment...and I vastly prefer him at the 8 to replace Musah and/or Swag, but don't know if he plays the 6.

Serious question....who else would be clearly better here? I want there to be somebody.

Honestly the midfield trio is pretty set. The guys that are on the fringe are not really deserving of a call. Tessmann hasn't played well or enough. Busio has COVID. No one else has really emerged. Hopefully a Ledezma, LDT, Bassett, Pomykal, Williamson, or even a guy like Nyeman can emerge before the world cup to go along with Busio as a clear backup. 

But Adams is on a yellow so I fully expect Acosta to be forced to start a game. And I'm pretty afraid we'll line up Llegett, Acosta, Roldan vs Canada. One hopes that Berhalter would manage minutes if we get a lead vs ELS.

And yes, the RB situation is just stupid. At some point in the window, someone will play left back out of position. I don't care if you bring Scally, Bello, or Vines but one of them should have been on the roster for LB cover vs carrying 4 RBs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prefontaine said:

one of them should have been on the roster for LB cover vs carrying 4 RBs

But we all know the attack flows through the right side because Arriola will play there.  The left side attack is way less talented. 

22 minutes ago, prefontaine said:

Hopefully a Ledezma, LDT, Bassett, Pomykal, Williamson, or even a guy like Nyeman can emerge before the world cup

LDT is in camp, Williamson (who I loved seeing over the summer) is hurt, and I've seen enough of Pomykal.  Ledezma, Bassett and Nyeman seem a cycle away and certainly not proven (I admittedly don't know much).

IMO the Zardes, Morris, Arriola, Roldan and Lletget type player is still in the mix because they're probably still in our top-x available players at any given time.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

27 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

IMO the Zardes, Morris, Arriola, Roldan and Lletget type player is still in the mix because they're probably still in our top-x available players at any given time.

One of these is not like the other.  He's the one that rarely generates any forward progress, stunting the momentum.  Basically the anti-Musah.

I got nothing against Arriola or Zardoz at this point.  Both bust their ### on the field and have shown their value in pressing lesser teams.  They will be useful against ELS.

Roldan I'm ok with just to see him get another win over his brother.  It's great to see them on the field together.  He's got limited upside but can hold his own against ELS and HON.

• Like 2

The thing that bothers me....

You want to bring a couple of less talented players because they "fit your system"....ok. I can live with that (considering we're talking about bench guys). That being said....if we see a lleget, Roldan, Acosta MF...I will just lose my mind.

You want to bring some MORE talented players that maybe unbalances the roster a little bit....ok

But bringing LESS talented players that also results in roster imbalance? That's just absurd. We're not carrying 4 RB's because they're 4 of our best 10 (or even 15) players. We're doing it to get Brooks Lennon in the mix. A 24 year old OK (not a star) MLS player who hasn't played a competitive game in 2 months.

Scally is in-season and a versatile piece that can help at several spots in a pinch. And he's a 19 year old that will/should absolutely be a key rotational player for the future. Even if you're not crazy high on his talent, his omission in a 3 match window with the conditions we'll be dealing with is inexcusable.

Edited by TLEF316
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, prefontaine said:

Honestly the midfield trio is pretty set. The guys that are on the fringe are not really deserving of a call. Tessmann hasn't played well or enough. Busio has COVID. No one else has really emerged. Hopefully a Ledezma, LDT, Bassett, Pomykal, Williamson, or even a guy like Nyeman can emerge before the world cup to go along with Busio as a clear backup. 

But Adams is on a yellow so I fully expect Acosta to be forced to start a game. And I'm pretty afraid we'll line up Llegett, Acosta, Roldan vs Canada. One hopes that Berhalter would manage minutes if we get a lead vs ELS.

And yes, the RB situation is just stupid. At some point in the window, someone will play left back out of position. I don't care if you bring Scally, Bello, or Vines but one of them should have been on the roster for LB cover vs carrying 4 RBs. 

I watched a bit of the GGG presser and just learned that Busio was called but got Covid. He was asked about the RBs vs LB and said all the guys (minus Lennon) and Acosta could provide cover. Because LB is such an easy position to fill and learn on the fly.

Dumbfounded nobody asked why Scally wasn't called.

Yeah...MMA all the way. Tbh, while I agree he might rotate heavily vs Canada, I'd still love to see MMA try to go all three games. The US has been ineffectual/aimless without all three of them on the field together; this is the window to go for max points and push their limits. Sadly, the drop to Acosta is huge.

51 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

and I've seen enough of Pomykal

Wasn't he hurt most of a year? He was looking great before that...or did I miss a big chunk of playing recently that would make you think this? 

9 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

The thing that bothers me....

You want to bring a couple of less talented players because they "fit your system"....ok. I can live with that (considering we're talking about bench guys). That being said....if we see a lleget, Roldan, Acosta MF...I will just lose my mind.

You want to bring some MORE talented players that maybe unbalances the roster a little bit....ok

But bringing LESS talented players that also results in roster imbalance? That's just absurd. We're not carrying 4 RB's because they're 4 of our best 10 (or even 15) players. We're doing it to get Brooks Lennon in the mix. A 24 year old OK (not a star) MLS player who hasn't played a competitive game in 2 months.

Scally is in-season and a versatile piece that can help at several spots in a pinch. And he's a 19 year old that will/should absolutely be a key rotational player for the future. Even if you're not crazy high on his talent, his omission in a 3 match window with the conditions we'll be dealing with is inexcusable.

Scallys the one absence that makes zero sense to me. The rest...pool or a pond.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Wasn't he hurt most of a year? He was looking great before that...or did I miss a big chunk of playing recently that would make you think this?

Doh!

Wrong player.  I was thinking of Yueill there.  

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Acosta's best games have been at the 6.  His worst is at the 8, where unfortunately has seen most of his minutes.

I can't remember if he's looked bad at the 6 too...feel like he has.

Konrad didn't dress today again. 

Reading that KdlF has been out injured. 

So really, the fury over GGGs selection is about Scally, Brooks/CCV, and Prefok. Backup LB/RB, 4th or 5th choice CB and a backup forward who has never looked quite right for the US. 

Again...Scally seemed an obvious choice, but otherwise not much to be furious about. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Reading that KdlF has been out injured. 

So really, the fury over GGGs selection is about Scally, Brooks/CCV, and Prefok. Backup LB/RB, 4th or 5th choice CB and a backup forward who has never looked quite right for the US. 

Again...Scally seemed an obvious choice, but otherwise not much to be furious about. 

They could have just left Lletget of the roster and brought anyone else. 

* Pulisic, Weah and Aaronson can split the 540 minutes at wing

* Zimm, Miles and Richards can split the 540 minutes at CB

* Pepi and Zardes should get the majority of the 270 minutes.

* Dest should play ~180 of 270 at RB and then choose one of others for matchups (specifically Buchannan if he plays on the left in place of Davies)

* I don't care who plays between Steffen and Turner.

* MMA and Jedi should play 270 minutes baring injury and or the luxury of a lead some where to protect a yellow card.

This is NOT the window for team building, participation trophies or proving to everyone how deep the roster is.   Get max points.  Canada might be as vulnerable as we could hope for with a ton of players out of season, missing Davies and playing in front of a smallish crowd due to covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

* Dest should play ~180 of 270 at RB and then choose one of others for matchups (specifically Buchannan if he plays on the left in place of Davies)

* MMA and Jedi should play 270 minutes baring injury and or the luxury of a lead some where to protect a yellow card.

This is NOT the window for team building, participation trophies or proving to everyone how deep the roster is.   Get max points.  Canada might be as vulnerable as we could hope for with a ton of players out of season, missing Davies and playing in front of a smallish crowd due to covid.

This is how you get a world cup.  Grind out the games that you should win, take your chances when it's a coin flip. 

Musah is a sith Lord of the dark arts.

This game was essentially unwatchable for the entire second half. 

His goal though....driving the ball at goal and actually hitting a shot on goal- the US is desperate for that. 

40 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

This is exactly where I am too.

Adams carrying a yellow gives me some concern...why I keep bringing up that deep drop to Acosta. But there's nobody else, so here we are.

Per source, hearing that D.C. United have received an offer for teenager Kevin Paredes from #VFLWolfsburg. The MLS side has reportedly valued the player in the $8-$9 million range. 

Talks ongoing between the clubs from what I gather. #DCUnited #wolfsburg

https://twitter.com/kristianrdyer/status/1484967568611885061?s=10

• Like 1