What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

:popcorn:

=================

[Bogert] New England Revolution sporting director and head coach Bruce Arena, speaking on local 98.5 radio, was asked about a potential transfer of USMNT and reigning MLS GK of the Year Matt Turner to Arsenal: "The likelihood of that happening is pretty strong."

Feeling a trouncing tonight boys, LFG. Get me out of this damn office. I’ve been forcing myself not to think about qualifying for a month, I am so frigging ready to watch these matches tonight, then Nadal after. Really fantastic sports night on tap. 

Who the hell knows...  Listed at 7:00 PM Eastern, but that probably means 7:23 PM, or it could really be 7:00.
Seems like home games tend to follow the US sports method of 7:17 kickoff (or something stupid like that), whereas road games are usually on the hour.  We shall see.  

:popcorn:

=================

[Bogert] New England Revolution sporting director and head coach Bruce Arena, speaking on local 98.5 radio, was asked about a potential transfer of USMNT and reigning MLS GK of the Year Matt Turner to Arsenal: "The likelihood of that happening is pretty strong."
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor Twellman

@TaylorTwellman

Breaking Within the last hour, the parties have agreed to terms on a summer transfer of @headdturnerr to @Arsenal. Documents remain to be filed. What a moment for @NERevolution and especially Matt Turner. Undrafted to THIS!!! Now he must deliver for the @USMNT tonight.

I could look it up but I’d rather give Andy some homework to help him pass the time a little.

What are the optimal results for us tonight?
Optimal in terms of the best chances to come in at least 3rd?

Costa Rica win

US win

Jamaica draw/win

Honduras win

The first two are SIGNIFICANTLY more important for coming in at least 3rd than the last two results.

What time is the actual kickoff?
Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Exact kickoff times for USMNT's World Cup qualifiers:

1/27 vs ES in Columbus 7 pm ET (ESPN2, UniMas, TUDN)

1/30 at CAN in Hamilton 3:05 ET (Paramount+, Universo, Telemundo)

2/2 vs HON in St Paul 7:30 ET, (FS1, Univision, TUDN)

TV programming will begin earlier

I could look it up but I’d rather give Andy some homework to help him pass the time a little.

What are the optimal results for us tonight?

I think we generally just want teams to beat Panama and for Canada and Mexico to hold serve with max points except against us.  That's probably the simplest way.  So if we and Mexico got a 9 point window and Canada got a six point window, it would look like:

USA -24

Mex -23

Can - 22

If Jamaica were then to beat Costa Rica on Matchday 11, then we'd actually be through (with 9 points to play for).

Pan - 14

Jam - 13

CR - 12

So Mex will be playing Jam in an empty stadium again... Covid.

And will be playing their next two games vs CR and PAN at Azteca in front of only 2k people as they try to change the puto situation. 

The Athletic posted an article detailing the (extremely unlikely) scenario that would allow the US to qualify for the WC during THIS window.....

U.S. wins all three matches this window against El Salvador, Canada and Honduras 

Third-place Mexico or fourth-place Panama loses all three of their matches

Fifth-place Costa Rica gets five points or fewer

Sixth-place Jamaica gets seven points or fewer 

The most likely path  to that would be....

USMNT wins all three games. Panama loses all three games. Costa Rica beats Panama, loses/draws to Mexico and loses/draws to Jamaica. Jamaica loses to Mexico.

USA 13-1 El Salvador as Pulisic breaks the all-time record for goals in a game, with 9.

Thankfully work was very busy today so I hardly noticed the time.  How 'bout you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Matt Turner:

Fairfield University and 4th tier Jersey Express in the summers

Undrafted

signed by New England

Loaned to USL's Richmond Kickers

Finally got Revs starting job

USMNT debut

MLS GK of the Year

Arsenal

Ferreira starting.

Richards and Weah too.

Miles on the bench.

Pulisic Ferreira Weah

MMA

Antonee, Richards, Zimm, Dəst

Turner

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard gripes about Zimm and Miles starting with both of them out of season...don't mind this at all.

Jesus plays more of a false 9, right?...and I think a little cleaner with the ball at feet, even if he's not as dominant in the box getting to the ball. Dunno...GGG must've seen something in camp. It's definitely a head scratcher for coming out of nowhere for me...but I also don't hate it. But I reserve the right to hate it in an hour.

I've heard gripes about Zimm and Miles starting with both of them out of season...don't mind this at all.

Jesus plays more of a false 9, right?...and I think a little cleaner with the ball at feet, even if he's not as dominant in the box getting to the ball. Dunno...GGG must've seen something in camp. It's definitely a head scratcher for coming out of nowhere for me...but I also don't hate it. But I reserve the right to hate it in an hour.
I wonder if there is concern about Pepi going ice cold scoring?   

Jesus will do a better job linking with Musah and Weston I hope....

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

If you think the Pulisic-McKennie-Adams not starting together in almost three years stat is wild, consider that the Pulisic-McKennie-Adams-Dest foursome has NEVER played a single minute together for the #USMNT .

I wonder if there is concern about Pepi going ice cold scoring?   

Jesus will do a better job linking with Musah and Weston I hope....

Hopefully.

This game feels like Pepi's ability in the air would be a factor more than additional guy to tiki taka. but maybe Jesus can get CP and Weah firing

I'm intrigued because I genuinely like Jesus's game.  I do worry that it may be too fluid.  I think a lot will depend on Weston getting in the box in good heading positions, because there will be space wide for the FBs.

I'm ok with the lineup.  Interesting that Aaronson also sitting.  He better get in there quick or he better go the full 90 in the next 2.

Jesus:  Are you ready to be ####ed, man?  I see you played your way into the Octo.  Dios Mio, man.  Me and Timo?  We're going to #### you up!

Hugo Sanchez:  Well, that's just your opinion, man.

Users who are viewing this thread