What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (11 Viewers)

Yedlin and Besler names keep coming up in a ton of rumors. Personally I think Yedlin goes and Besler is going to stay, but that is just a guess.

I am a little surprised that Gonzo's name has not come up a little more in the rumors. Perhaps teams realized he played well above his normal standard?

Yedlin and Besler names keep coming up in a ton of rumors. Personally I think Yedlin goes and Besler is going to stay, but that is just a guess.

I am a little surprised that Gonzo's name has not come up a little more in the rumors. Perhaps teams realized he played well above his normal standard?
Thought it read a rumor that Cruz Azul made a $4 million offer for Omar but I could be mistaken

Thought it read a rumor that Cruz Azul made a $4 million offer for Omar but I could be mistaken
That would be great for LA. It would more than pay off the DP investment they made for him and free up a DP slot.

What's next for US soccer courtesy of American Outlaws...

If you are new or have been following for years, there are so many ways to continue to support the sport's growth in the country before Russia in 2018.

1) International Friendlies - Time to get back up on that horse! The U.S. men's team will face the Czech Republic in Prague on September 3rd and is rumored to face Ireland in Dublin on November 18th. There's no rest for the weary as we take the first, next steps towards another World Cup journey.

2) Women's World Cup Qualifying 2014 - Starting this October, between the 16th and the 24th, teams from North and Central America, and the Caribbean will compete for three spots for the Women's World Cup in Canada in 2015. The CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament will take place in the United States (specific times, dates, and venues TBA) and you can bet that we'll be there to support our women's national team on their qualifying quest.

3) Women's World Cup 2015 - The USWNT came up short of capturing the ultimate prize in 2011 falling on PKs to Japan after a magical run to the final. The next year the Lady Nats gathered up Olympic Gold in London getting revenge against the Japanese.

Our women have won the WWC twice (1991 and 1999) and are currently ranked the number one team in the world. From June 6 to July 5 of 2015 the WWC is held in six Canadian cities and American Outlaws will be there and at home hosting viewing parties across the country in support of our women in the red, white and blue as they look to win the Cup for a record third time.

4) Gold Cup 2015 and 2017 - Every two years CONCACAF hosts a regional tournament in the United States for the top teams in North and Central America and the Caribbean. In the last edition of the Gold Cup the United States won their fifth tournament besting Panama 2-1. If they win the 2015 Cup they will automatically qualifying for a worldwide tournament, the Confederations Cup (in Russia in 2017), facing each of the globe's best teams, one from each region.

Just like World Cup qualifiers we American Outlaws gather at our chapters to watch these incredible matches and follow the team across the U.S. to be in the stands for our team.

5) Copa America Centenario (2016) - Just recently it was announced that for the 100th anniversary of COMMEBOL (South America's CONCACAF) their premier continental competition, the Copa America, will be held in the United States. Our Nats along with Mexico and other representatives of the region will have an opportunity to compete with our southern neighbors' best nations.

As hosts you can expect packed stadiums around the country on par with when we hosted the World Cup back in 1994 (still the highest attended World Cup in history with 3.6 million people). And, of course, you can expect that AO will be following our team around the country as they look to place themselves as one of the top teams this side of the Prime Meridian.

6) 2016 Olympics in Rio - Seems like we just left Brazil yesterday, but our U-23 men's side will hopefully be returning to the land of Samba in 2016 for the summer Olympics. We just missed out on the London edition so we'll be more motivated than ever to train our youth side looking onto Russia 2018.

7) World Cup Qualifiers 2017 and 2018 - The U.S. doesn't just show up at the World Cup every four years we have to earn it. The path to Russia 2018 goes through dozens of nations in CONCACAF, big and small, for three (possible four) nations to represent the region at the World Cup.

Even though our path has not been yet outlined, the U.S. is only one of six nations that has qualified for every World Cup since 1990.

8) Youth National Teams - Over the next several years the best and the brightest of our "Baby Nats" will fight to qualifying and complete in a number of important youth tournaments. First up is the Under-20 Women's World Cup in Canada this August(the US has already qualified for this tournament) and then the U-20 Men's World Cup in New Zealand in 2015. The YNT (coached by U.S. legend Tab Ramos) will play a tournament in Southern California at the end of this month to prepare for their qualification. Check out our SoCal chapters to join in supporting them.

Last edited by a moderator:
When will we know venues for Gold Cup 2015 and Copa America?
This.....I will be ready to drop some Benjamins for some seats at any KC or STL venues.
Note that the 2015 Gold Cup has not yet been approved for the US to host. The host country is still TBD.

Also there is a possible issue with Copa America in 2015 as both Mexico and Jamaica have been invited to participate. There is no overlap but the two tournaments are close enough together to cause roster issues. Last time this happened Concacaf ruled that the Concacaf teams were age limited when going to Copa America (under 23 I think).

As for Copa America 2016 we still have a long way to go before venues are known. First the tournament has to get on the calendar and that probably won't happen until the 2022 mess is settled.

This.....I will be ready to drop some Benjamins for some seats at any KC or STL venues.
Note that the 2015 Gold Cup has not yet been approved for the US to host. The host country is still TBD.

Also there is a possible issue with Copa America in 2015 as both Mexico and Jamaica have been invited to participate. There is no overlap but the two tournaments are close enough together to cause roster issues. Last time this happened Concacaf ruled that the Concacaf teams were age limited when going to Copa America (under 23 I think).

As for Copa America 2016 we still have a long way to go before venues are known. First the tournament has to get on the calendar and that probably won't happen until the 2022 mess is settled.
I was referring to the Copa 2016 with South America involved.

I was referring to the Copa 2016 with South America involved.
I was answering the original question for Gold Cup in 2015. The end of my post talks about the Copa in 2016.

I think KC will be out of luck unless they decide to use Arrowhead, which I doubt. Sporting Park isn't big enough. St. Louis doesn't have an acceptable arena/stadium with grass as far as I know. Dallas, Houston, or Chicago will probably be the closest place for people in our area.

I think KC will be out of luck unless they decide to use Arrowhead, which I doubt. Sporting Park isn't big enough. St. Louis doesn't have an acceptable arena/stadium with grass as far as I know. Dallas, Houston, or Chicago will probably be the closest place for people in our area.
Jerry World will be a lock and could possibly host the final. I also think Met Life, Soldier Field, Sun Life and one of the LA stadiums will be lock hosts in 2016.

DC (FedEx or RFK), Glendale and Seattle (assuming they add grass to CLInk for it) I'd put in the "likely" bucket.

Houston, Philly, Bay Area, Foxboro, Denver, Atlanta, Nashville and Orlando I'd say are "possible".

The five LFC youngsters who could star at World Cup 2018

#5 Marc Pelosi (USA) Represented: US U-17, U-21
If he's given his opportunity at Anfield, he could find his way progressing well over the next four years. His athleticism, energy and flexibility would appear to suit the new style of US football, so well-received in Brazil
:shock:
I think that means "we did not see the US play even one minute but since they were expected to get tossed early they must have played great"

If he's given his opportunity at Anfield, he could find his way progressing well over the next four years. His athleticism, energy and flexibility would appear to suit the new style of US football, so well-received in Brazil
I think that means "we did not see the US play even one minute but since they were expected to get tossed early they must have played great"
I don't think that's true.

All the talk on TALKSport was the passion and guts we played with and that if the England team could play with half of that they'd reach the final :lol:

They admired the way we played, but I wouldn't say it was because of the style, so not sure what the article means by that.

I don't think that's true.

All the talk on TALKSport was the passion and guts we played with and that if the England team could play with half of that they'd reach the final :lol:

They admired the way we played, but I wouldn't say it was because of the style, so not sure what the article means by that.
UK talk radio is just as insightful as American talk radio. Talksport also recognizes they have a sizable US audience during the UK dark hours so they target some of their talking points toward things that will provoke US listeners.

I listened to it during the tournament because I couldn't get enough soccer. The handwringing over England's performance was pretty hysterical. Callers went on and on about the England squad's singing of God Save the Queen. Simon Cowell may replace Woy in 2016.

Josh Deaver @JoshDeaver

Options for Brek Shea at Stoke City currently consist of: 1.) full-season loan or 2.) getting released to clear up funds says English media.

4:22 PM - 14 Jul 2014

========================

Looks like JJ is looking for the big bucks from MLS. I don't think he is going to get in the Dempsey/Bradley range which is about $6m per year

FOX Sports Live ✔ @FOXSportsLive

Follow

"I'm talking w/some clubs. I showed in the World Cup I'm on the same level as Dempsey & Michael Bradley"- @Jermainejunior on his future

I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of international soccer. Just some notes and tidbits to know as you get into the swing of things. I know most of this is common sense, but just in case it isn't, here's a little bit of a read for you. Maybe people can add to this and we can pin it in post #1.

- the US is often referred to as the "USMNT": "US Men's National Team". A common nickname is "The Yanks". The team is currently coached by ex-German star Jurgen Klinsmann, and is governed by the US Soccer Federation, or USSF.

- FIFA - the soccer world's governing body - breaks the soccer world down into six regional "confederations". The US plays in CONCACAF - the Confederation of North, Central America, and Caribbean Association Football. There are currently 41 teams in CONCACAF - the 3 North American teams, 7 Central American teams, and 31 Caribbean teams.

- CONCACAF World Cup qualification (WCQ) consists of 4 rounds (subject to change every 4 years). The USMNT gets a bye until the 3rd round. During 2015, the teams ranked 7th through 41st will play in the first two rounds, whittling down to 6 teams. Those 6 teams, plus the top 6 teams with byes, will combine for the 3rd round. The 3rd round consists of 3 round-robin groups of 4 teams. This will begin during the summer of 2016. The top 2 teams in each group advance to the final round of qualifying, commonly called "The Hex". The Hex is a 6-team round-robin and will run from approx. Feb 2017 through October 2017. At the end of the 10 games, the top 3 teams qualify automatically for the World Cup. The 4th place team qualifies for a playoff game. The bottom 2 teams are eliminated.

- Each confederation also has its own regional tournament for international teams. CONCACAF's tournament is called the Gold Cup, and is played in each odd year. The winners of the 2 Gold Cups staggered around a World Cup (ie 2013 and 2015) play a playoff to determine who qualifies for the next Confederations Cup (a smaller-scale World Cup style competition).

- Generally, the top CONCACAF teams in recent years have consisted of the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and Panama. The USMNT's traditional rival is Mexico, as the two have been the "big boys" of CONCACAF since the mid/late 90s.

- "Dos a Cero" is a famous phrase and chant among USMNT fans. It refers to a string of 2-0 victories over Mexico over the past 20 years. Some famous "dos a cero" US wins over Mexico: WCQ in Columbus, Ohio 2001; World Cup Round of 16, Korea, 2002; WCQ in Columbus, Ohio 2009; WCQ in Columbus, Ohio 2013

- The USMNT finished in 3rd place in the first World Cup (1930). This is the team's best ever result.

- In 1950, the USMNT famously upset England in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. England was widely considered a favorite and were arguably the best team in the world at the time. The US won 1-0 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, off a diving header scored by a Haitian immigrant, Joe Gaetjens. It was the USMNT's only win, and they did not make it out of the first round.

- The US did not qualify for any World Cups between 1950 and 1990.

- The "shot heard around the world", in US soccer parlance, refers to a goal scored by Paul Caligiuri in 1989 as part of the 1990 World Cup qualifiers. CONCACAF had only 2 World Cup spots at the time, and Mexico had been disqualified due to fielding overaged players in the 1988 Olympic qualifiers. Heading into the final game on November 19, 1989, the USMNT was 1 point behind Trinidad and Tobago, and had to face T&T in Port of Spain. Paul Caligiuri scored a fantastic volley from ~25 yards out, and the US held on to win 1-0 and qualify for its first World Cup in 40 years.

- The US failed to get out of the group stage in 1990, 1998, and 2006.

- The US did, however, get out of the group stage in 1994, 2002, 2010, and 2014. The team's best result in the modern era was 2002 - this is the only time the USMNT has advanced to the final 8. In each of the other three, the team was eliminated in the round of 16.

- In 1994, the US defeated Colombia 2-1 partially thanks to an own goal by Andres Escobar....an own goal which may have contributed to his murder shortly after Colombia was eliminated. The US advanced to the round of 16, where they were eliminated by Brazil.

- In 2002, the US famously upset Portugal 3-2 before defeating Mexico "dos a cero" in the round of 16. In the quarterfinals, German midfielder Torsten Frings had a controversial handball on the goalline (skip to 1:46) not called and the US lost 1-0 on a goal scored by now-ESPN-commentator Michael Ballack.

- In 2006, the US was highly regarded - having recently reached its highest-ever FIFA ranking, #4 in the world, in April 2006 - and proved to be horribly overrated, as they were eliminated with just 1 point in the group stage. An ugly loss to the Czech Republic was followed by a bloody draw against Italy, with the game featuring 3 red cards and ending 10-on-9 in Italy's favor. The US lost to Ghana in the final group stage game.

- In 2010....well, you've probably seen this by now. The US was mere seconds away from being eliminated in the group stage, until Landon Donovan scored with 30 seconds left to beat Algeria and put the US into the round of 16. They lost to Ghana in that round.

- In 2014, the US beat Ghana on a late header from John Brooks (skip to 1:36), before drawing (and nearly beating Portugal) and losing to Germany. The US advanced to the round of 16, where they were defeated in extra time by Belgium.

- In recent non-World Cup events, US fans will always have a soft spot for midfielder Benny Feilhaber, who scored this wonderful volley in the 73rd minute of the 2007 Gold Cup final to beat Mexico 2-1. That win qualified the US for the 2009 Confederations Cup, where the US scored another shocking upset, this time 2-0 over arguable world #1 Spain. Jozy Altidore, working with a healthy Charlie Davies, scored the first goal, and the aforementioned Feilhaber and Donovan helped set up the second (Dempsey), with help from a Sergio Ramos defensive flub. The US lost to Brazil in the final, despite going up 2-0.

- In more comical news, former US defender and frequent butt of FBG jokes Jonathan Bornstein is a hero in Honduras, as his late equalizer in the 2010 WCQs to draw Costa Rica qualified Honduras for the 2010 World Cup. Similarly, Mexico were on the verge of being eliminated in 2013 at the expense of Panama, when Graham Zusi scored a last-minute goal to eliminate Panama, prompting some Mexican announcer to blow a gasket and rip the Mexican team to shreds on the air.

That win qualified the US for the 2009 Confederations Cup, where the US scored another shocking upset, this time 2-0 over arguable world #1 Spain. Jozy Altidore, working with a healthy Charlie Davies, scored the first goal, and the aforementioned Feilhaber and Donovan helped set up the second (Dempsey), with help from a Sergio Ramos defensive flub.
That Confederation Cup group stage is overlooked because of the upset of Spain but it was beyond nuts

The US lost to Italy 3-1 in the first game

The US lost to Brazil 3-0 in the second game

0 points and a minus 5 GD after 2 games.

The ranking of the group after 2 games was this

Brazil on 6 points

Italy on 3 points with +1 GD

Egypt on 3 points with a 0 GD

US on 0 points with a -5 GD

US played Egypt and Brazil played Italy in the last game

The only way for the US to go through was for US to win, Brazil to win AND the US had to make up a massive 6 goals in differential

Italy fell behind 3-0 in the first half and the US was up 1-0 at half putting the seemingly impossible chance with in reach.

The US scored 2 second half goals to secure a 3-0 and Italy lost 3-0, giving the US the perfect score line to advance.

Here are the highlights of the US Egypt game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ2ZGgFLkLU

- In more comical news, former US defender and frequent butt of FBG jokes Jonathan Bornstein is a hero in Honduras, as his late equalizer in the 2010 WCQs to draw Costa Rica qualified Honduras for the 2010 World Cup. Similarly, Mexico were on the verge of being eliminated in 2013 at the expense of Panama, when Graham Zusi scored a last-minute equalizer to eliminate Panama, prompting some Mexican announcer to blow a gasket and rip the Mexican team to shreds on the air.
Added this bullet point after the fact. Seemed relevant.

Steve Tasker said:
You have no idea how long it took me to put that together.

I hope someone gets something out of it.
It just took me two days to read it... I can't imagine how long that would take me to research and write.

####### awesome.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
- In more comical news, former US defender and frequent butt of FBG jokes Jonathan Bornstein is a hero in Honduras, as his

:goodposting:

that rant... was... soooooooooooooooo.... freaking :wub:

Steve Tasker said:
- Each confederation also has its own regional tournament for international teams. CONCACAF's tournament is called the Gold Cup, and is played in each odd year. The Gold Cup in the year immediately following the World Cup is often considered more important, as the winner qualifies for the next Confederations Cup (a smaller-scale World Cup style competition). The Gold Cup in the year immediately preceding a World Cup is generally much less regarded. They've changed this for the 2017 Confed Cup... if the same team wins the 2013 and 2015 Gold Cups that team goes to the Confed Cup. But if different teams win in 2013 and 2015 they play a single game for the right to go to the Confed Cup. The US won in 2013.

- In 2002, the US famously upset Portugal 3-2 before defeating Mexico "dos a cero" in the round of 16. In the quarterfinals, German midfielder Torsten Frings had a controversial handball on the goalline (skip to 1:46) not called and the US lost 1-0 on a goal scored by now-ESPN-commentator Michael Ballack. 'Controversial' doesn't do this call justice. It's one of the greatest whistle-swallows in World Cup history -- right up there with Howard Webb failing to show Nigel de Jong a straight red in the 2010 Final. Also, that 2002 Q-final match with Germany is arguably the best match the US has ever played.

- In recent non-World Cup events, US fans will always have a soft spot for midfielder Benny Feilhaber, who scored this wonderful volley in the 73rd minute of the 2007 Gold Cup final to beat Mexico 2-1. That win qualified the US for the 2009 Confederations Cup, where the US scored another shocking upset, this time 2-0 over arguable world #1 Spain. Jozy Altidore, working with a healthy Charlie Davies, scored the first goal, and the aforementioned Feilhaber and Donovan helped set up the second (Dempsey), with help from a Sergio Ramos defensive flub. The US lost to Brazil in the final, despite going up 2-0. Spain had not lost a game of any sort in almost three years when the US beat them 2-0 and would go on to win the 2010 World Cup and the 2012 European Championship (to go with the 2008 European Championship they already held).
Awesome work Tasker -- really nice bit of background. Added a few comments in red.

Things I'd like to see happen this cycle:

1. Shore up the defense - ostensibly defense has been a strength of the US, but I think some of our weaknesses in defense kept us from achieving more in this WC. First, we need better center backs - who are capable of playing the ball. Defensively, I thought everyone was fine, but collectively I thought Besler/Cameron/Gonzalez lacked the ability to confidently build the play from the defense. I think this was a large part of the problem in the US being able to play/hold the ball through the midfield.

2. Outside backs - I don't know that the outside backs were a problem, per se, or if the set-up created the problem. But, we were set-up too defensively (even for a counter-attacking style). Our outside midfielders provided too much cover either by design, or by necessity, to our outside backs. I think if we had more confidence in our outside backs defensively, that would free up the midfielders to push forward - closing the gap with the striker, and allowing better spacing to control the ball. This could be Fabian Johnson and Yedlin - but we need to make sure we are comfortable with their defensive efforts, so they can be left on an island a little more frequently.

3. Find a suitable midfield engine - I think this could be Bradley, despite a bit of a rough patch in this WC. I think he will do better playing deeper - in the Beckerman role, or maybe a little bit more advanced. He'll need to continue to progress with his first touch and passing skills, but when combined with better ball-playing defenders, I think he can be effective in the deep-lying playmaker role.

4. If we play my preferred 4-2-3-1, then we need to find a suitable partner for Bradley in the middle. I lean towards a more-defensive minded player, only because I want to free up the outside midfielders as much as possible, so they can attack aggressively, and know there is cover behind them. In a perfect world, its another Bradley clone - a player who is strong defensively, but can also spark a quick counter-attack with good passing.

5. Find attacking midfielders. In the short-term, Dempsey will continue to play the central-attacking midfield role, but we need to find his apprentice. In the long-term, I think Green can be an attacking midfielder/winger on one side - I'd like to find his counterpart on the other side - a player who has an attacking mindset, but who can track back on defense. I'd prefer to have both outside midfielders to have a skill set where they can provide high-pressure on the ball to force turnovers, but have the quickness to convert those turnovers into an effective counter. The set-up with Zusi, Bedoya, Jones seemed to have them set up too deep, and none of those guys was likely to create an immediate attack on a turnover.

Agree that a deep midfield pairing of Bradley and someone like Beckerman to play defense and link with the attack is the right setup.

The problem is we don't have enough attacking players IMO. Dempsey will be 35 and I think we found out everything we need to know about Zusi and Bedoya.

Finding a front four is item #1 for me.

Agree that a deep midfield pairing of Bradley and someone like Beckerman to play defense and link with the attack is the right setup.

The problem is we don't have enough attacking players IMO. Dempsey will be 35 and I think we found out everything we need to know about Zusi and Bedoya.

Finding a front four is item #1 for me.
Agudelo and Bacon (technique), Boyd (battering ram), Jozy (enigma) should all factor into this cycle up front. We certainly need someone to replace Dempsey post 2016 I think (although with Dempsey's low energy style he could have a role as second half sub in 2018 if he keeps fit).

The wings concern me. I agree it was our weakest spot this cup. A couple of years ago I would have guessed this coming 4 years would have been Shea's cycle, but that looks hopeless now. I have no feel for Green so we just need to hope he gets on a real team where he can play (Bundesliga 2 would be awesome for him right now).

Diego is the most obvious wide player who could help from MLS but he has paper work issues.

Nagbe is going to fit into the team some where. If Bradley moves to the deepest role (Beckermans this WC), Nagbe could play with him in a slightly advanced role).

I am not sold on Gonzo as the right CB and JK does not appear to want to play two left footed CB's at this point but it might come to it.

Fab should cover one of the two wing full back spots but the other is a question mark. Hopefully in the Gold Cup next summer, Yedlin can get a good extended run at RB and see how he does at that level which should give us a great feel for whether he can be used in qualifying at that spot.

It is going to be a really intriguing cycle. And the Gold Cup next summer is going to be an excellent place to start experimenting. The age old question will come up time and again. Does JK go with players who can help him win now and slowly integrate players over the cycle or does he immediately remove players who will most certainly not be on the team in 2018 (Jones, Wondo, Davis etc).

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=show&id=11492

US U20's Rally to Beat Chile

With a strong second half from key substitutes, the United States under-20 national team defeated Chile 2-1 in its first game of the NTC Invitational tournament on Monday night.

The tournament marked a return to the team for head coach Tab Ramos who missed the last U-20 camp as he served as an assistant to Jurgen Klinsmann at the World Cup. The lineup featured many regulars including Russell Canouse, Romain Gall, Lynden Gooch and Paul Arriola.

The U.S. outshot Chile 4-1 in the first half with Fernando Arce, Jr. have the best two opportunities narrowly missing on a pair of shots. Despite the U.S. having the advantage of play, Chile scored when a long ball was played over the U.S. defense. Goalkeeper Santiago Castano came out to play the ball but forward Cristian Cuevas made a play first and hit it into an open net for a 1-0 lead.

In the 63rd minute, Ramos brought Philadelphia Union forward Zack Pfeffer and Reading striker Andrija Novakovich into the game and the U.S. attack came to life. Novakovich scored the equalizer on his first touch of the game in the 65th minute when he headed home from the right post a free kick from Pfeffer.

Six minutes later in the 73rd minute, Pfeffer put the U.S. team in front for good when Arriola sent a pass to the far post leaving Pfeffer for just a tap in to put the U.S. team ahead 2-1.

In the win, both teams were even on shots 14-14 but the U.S. had a 7-2 advantage with shots on goal.

The U.S. team will now face Bermuda in the second game of the NTC Invitational on Wednesday at 7pm EST.

Interesting. I was under the impression that Novakovich and Pfeffer were clear starters with Rubin not available (and that Steffen has previously greatly outperformed Castano in previous tourneys in goal).

Steve Tasker said:
I've been meaning to put this together for some time. For our newer US soccer fans, here is a little primer of things to know about the history of your team and some of the background of international soccer. Just some notes and tidbits to know as you get into the swing of things. I know most of this is common sense, but just in case it isn't, here's a little bit of a read for you. Maybe people can add to this and we can pin it in post #1.

- the US is often referred to as the "USMNT": "US Men's National Team". A common nickname is "The Yanks". The team is currently coached by ex-German star Jurgen Klinsmann, and is governed by the US Soccer Federation, or USSF.

- FIFA - the soccer world's governing body - breaks the soccer world down into six regional "confederations". The US plays in CONCACAF - the Confederation of North, Central America, and Caribbean Association Football. There are currently 41 teams in CONCACAF - the 3 North American teams, 7 Central American teams, and 31 Caribbean teams.

- CONCACAF World Cup qualification (WCQ) consists of 4 rounds (subject to change every 4 years). The USMNT gets a bye until the 3rd round. During 2015, the teams ranked 7th through 41st will play in the first two rounds, whittling down to 6 teams. Those 6 teams, plus the top 6 teams with byes, will combine for the 3rd round. The 3rd round consists of 3 round-robin groups of 4 teams. This will begin during the summer of 2016. The top 2 teams in each group advance to the final round of qualifying, commonly called "The Hex". The Hex is a 6-team round-robin and will run from approx. Feb 2017 through October 2017. At the end of the 10 games, the top 3 teams qualify automatically for the World Cup. The 4th place team qualifies for a playoff game. The bottom 2 teams are eliminated.

- Each confederation also has its own regional tournament for international teams. CONCACAF's tournament is called the Gold Cup, and is played in each odd year. The Gold Cup in the year immediately following the World Cup is often considered more important, as the winner qualifies for the next Confederations Cup (a smaller-scale World Cup style competition). The Gold Cup in the year immediately preceding a World Cup is generally much less regarded.

- Generally, the top CONCACAF teams in recent years have consisted of the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and Panama. The USMNT's traditional rival is Mexico, as the two have been the "big boys" of CONCACAF since the mid/late 90s.

- "Dos a Cero" is a famous phrase and chant among USMNT fans. It refers to a string of 2-0 victories over Mexico over the past 20 years. Some famous "dos a cero" US wins over Mexico: WCQ in Columbus, Ohio 2001; World Cup Round of 16, Korea, 2002; WCQ in Columbus, Ohio 2009; WCQ in Columbus, Ohio 2013

- The USMNT finished in 3rd place in the first World Cup (1930). This is the team's best ever result.

- In 1950, the USMNT famously upset England in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. England was widely considered a favorite and were arguably the best team in the world at the time. The US won 1-0 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, off a diving header scored by a Haitian immigrant, Joe Gaetjens. It was the USMNT's only win, and they did not make it out of the first round.

- The US did not qualify for any World Cups between 1950 and 1990.

- The "shot heard around the world", in US soccer parlance, refers to a goal scored by Paul Caligiuri in 1989 as part of the 1990 World Cup qualifiers. CONCACAF had only 2 World Cup spots at the time, and Mexico had been disqualified due to fielding overaged players in the 1988 Olympic qualifiers. Heading into the final game on November 19, 1989, the USMNT was 1 point behind Trinidad and Tobago, and had to face T&T in Port of Spain. Paul Caligiuri scored a fantastic volley from ~25 yards out, and the US held on to win 1-0 and qualify for its first World Cup in 40 years.

- The US failed to get out of the group stage in 1990, 1998, and 2006.

- The US did, however, get out of the group stage in 1994, 2002, 2010, and 2014. The team's best result in the modern era was 2002 - this is the only time the USMNT has advanced to the final 8. In each of the other three, the team was eliminated in the round of 16.

- In 1994, the US defeated Colombia 2-1 partially thanks to an own goal by Andres Escobar....an own goal which may have contributed to his murder shortly after Colombia was eliminated. The US advanced to the round of 16, where they were eliminated by Brazil.

- In 2002, the US famously upset Portugal 3-2 before defeating Mexico "dos a cero" in the round of 16. In the quarterfinals, German midfielder Torsten Frings had a controversial handball on the goalline (skip to 1:46) not called and the US lost 1-0 on a goal scored by now-ESPN-commentator Michael Ballack.

- In 2006, the US was highly regarded - having recently reached its highest-ever FIFA ranking, #4 in the world, in April 2006 - and proved to be horribly overrated, as they were eliminated with just 1 point in the group stage. An ugly loss to the Czech Republic was followed by a bloody draw against Italy, with the game featuring 3 red cards and ending 10-on-9 in Italy's favor. The US lost to Ghana in the final group stage game.

- In 2010....well, you've probably seen this by now. The US was mere seconds away from being eliminated in the group stage, until Landon Donovan scored with 30 seconds left to beat Algeria and put the US into the round of 16. They lost to Ghana in that round.

- In 2014, the US beat Ghana on a late header from John Brooks (skip to 1:36), before drawing (and nearly beating Portugal) and losing to Germany. The US advanced to the round of 16, where they were defeated in extra time by Belgium.

- In recent non-World Cup events, US fans will always have a soft spot for midfielder Benny Feilhaber, who scored this wonderful volley in the 73rd minute of the 2007 Gold Cup final to beat Mexico 2-1. That win qualified the US for the 2009 Confederations Cup, where the US scored another shocking upset, this time 2-0 over arguable world #1 Spain. Jozy Altidore, working with a healthy Charlie Davies, scored the first goal, and the aforementioned Feilhaber and Donovan helped set up the second (Dempsey), with help from a Sergio Ramos defensive flub. The US lost to Brazil in the final, despite going up 2-0.

- In more comical news, former US defender and frequent butt of FBG jokes Jonathan Bornstein is a hero in Honduras, as his late equalizer in the 2010 WCQs to draw Costa Rica qualified Honduras for the 2010 World Cup. Similarly, Mexico were on the verge of being eliminated in 2013 at the expense of Panama, when Graham Zusi scored a last-minute goal to eliminate Panama, prompting some Mexican announcer to blow a gasket and rip the Mexican team to shreds on the air.
tl;dr

I'm belaboring the point, but I'd still like to see the US experiment with a 3 man back line similar to Van Gaal's system. I think it plays to their strengths and Jurgen is so obsessed with getting width from his fullbacks, he might as well just make them wing backs. Using just guys in the pool now, it would look something like

Guzan

Gonzo Brooks Besler

Yedlin Cam Johnson

Bradley Mix

Green

Jozy

JK has praised Brooks' passing, so I'm comfortable letting him be the ball playing central midfielder. Cam's positioning allows him to break up plays, but also to slot into the vacated CB slot when the back three shifts toward the flank. Green plays the Robben role, using his mobility to draw defenders all over. Jozy gets in good positions and he's surrounded by guys comfortable on the ball when he has to hold it up. Yedlin and Johnson can come forward with a bit more impunity (and we can always keep one of them at home at times).

Users who are viewing this thread