What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

Reggie Cannon saying what many are thinking but I am unsure how Paxton gets his break through with our current group

===========================

https://twitter.com/ReggieCannon15/status/1544143053274890240?s=20&t=IA3X5Q6S-h7giNneVRICow
I think a lot of the fringe guys will get an opportunity next summer as we have U20 WC, Nations League, and Gold Cup.

The U20 group will play in the World Cup, the current squad in Nations League, so one would assume the Pomykal, Tessmann, Bassett types that are too old for U20 but can't break into the senior squad just yet are going to be playing in Gold Cup.

Last summer that opened up opportunities for a number of guys who excelled. 

####, I hate reading stuff like this, it scares me since I am very likely to get dementia already through my blood

==========================

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/05/bruce-murray-dementia-cte/
I know I've had at least 6 concussions, and sadly- a lot of the stuff Bruce describes early in the article (I didn't read the whole thing) are true for me. I remember minutia from way back... but day to day stuff increasingly escapes me. And Bruce's game, iirc, was more about heading than mine ever was.

Well, if his happens at least it makes things easier to follow our players :)

=========

USMNT

@USMNTTAKES

Leeds United is one of the many clubs interested in signing Bayern Munich and USMNT defender Chris Richards. Fee could be around 15-20 mil

https://www.theyellowwall.net/edin-terzic-reveals-timetable-for-gio-reynas-return/

“Gio is working hard on his rehab,” the BVB head coach told reporters, adding: “He did most of it in the United States in coordination with us. Like all other players, he will join us this weekend.”

Terzic continued: “Obviously, we have to be very careful with him. He was out for pretty much a whole year, where he repeatedly tried to return from injury to no avail. His situation is similar to Mateu Morey’s. We must not try to get them back as quickly as possible but to keep them [healthy] for as long as possible.”

The constant injury malaise was tough “especially, for such a young guy,” the 39-year-old said, adding: “But when I’m talking to him right now, he’s full of energy and full of anticipation for the next season. We’re looking forward to having him back, and we hope that he can add more physical stability so that he is able to be on the pitch with us much more often.”

Name a player(or players) who did not play even a minute during all of qualification who has the best chance of getting on the plane to Qatar as part of the 26 man roster.

I am going with Sean Johnson with Richie as a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Djordie, Williamson, Slolina.

Good ones! 

This question typically best fits a young player who was not ready during qualification so Slonina makes good sense here.   I think he would be battling Horvath and Johnson for the number 3 if you assume Turner and Steffen are certain if healthy. 

I might bring Slolina just to familiarize him with the setup and the WC atmosphere, as the prince in waiting.

Horvath is solid, but the fact that every team he's on ships him to another team (lower on the ladder) is pretty telling IMO.

Bruge --> Forest --> Luton Town is not the kind of progression we're hoping to see for him. 

Steffan's next move is a big one too.

Well, if his happens at least it makes things easier to follow our players :)

=========

USMNT

@USMNTTAKES

Leeds United is one of the many clubs interested in signing Bayern Munich and USMNT defender Chris Richards. Fee could be around 15-20 mil
Jesse has big brass ones. Everybody knows what the narrative will be if they’re relegation fodder after this. 

Leeds United

@LUFC

#LUFC is pleased to announce the signing of USA international @tyler_adams14 from RB Leipzig

I may be ready to make the America EPL team jump to root for Leeds now.  Granted if I ever went to Manchester and told them I root for United and Leeds I may get stabbed.

Unless something changes with EPL coverage we should get plenty of opportunities to watch Adams and Aaronson.

Name a player(or players) who did not play even a minute during all of qualification who has the best chance of getting on the plane to Qatar as part of the 26 man roster.

I am going with Sean Johnson with Richie as a long shot.
There were 5 players called into camp that never got into a game -- Horvath, Sean Johnson, Joe Scally, Sam Vines, and Jackson Yuell. For some reason, I thought Slonina was in a camp but it appears not. Maybe he was in a camp and we never included him on a roster.

CCV, Tillman, Haji, and Djordje were all called this summer. 

So that's a lot - ten - to choose from. 100% certain whomever the 3rd GK is will be on this list.

I'll go with CCV since no one else has named him. 

If Leeds signs richards as well (and all 3 are getting time) I'll definitely tune in this fall.

Of course,  NBC will probably take advantage of the situation and put all the games on stupid Peacock 

Sciaretta brought up an interesting point today.

Adams has only been on teams that have been towards the top of the table and most times on the front foot.  This does not play to his strengths.

But Leeds is very likely to be in a relegation battle again, in which they will be defending for their life which does play better to Adams skill set.

oh wow. he'd be deep in the mix if he had been healthy this year. we may not have seen Aaronson or LDLT... which means if he can stay healthy, would be amazing to add that competition in the fall. I feel for the kid- hope he can string some health together this season.

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Earnie Stewart has signed contract extension to remain USSF's sporting director through 2026, sources say. Previous deal was to expire this December. Former US intl joined fed from Philly Union in summer 2018 as USMNT's GM, then shifted to sporting director a year later

Sciaretta brought up an interesting point today.

Adams has only been on teams that have been towards the top of the table and most times on the front foot.  This does not play to his strengths.

But Leeds is very likely to be in a relegation battle again, in which they will be defending for their life which does play better to Adams skill set.
Just looked up some odds and looks like Leeds are generally in a group of 5 or 6 bottom half teams expected to avoid relegation.  Like positions 12-16.

Agree that Adams is probably better in a defend-first side though.  Especially with his NT coach saying he's not able to single-man the #6 in a 4-3-3.

Per Twitter folk, Chelsea supposedly going to complete the Sterling signing today.  Would think that can't be great for Pulisic's playing time this year.

"He's only 18 years old and there's a reason that we're hearing so much chatter about Europe and it's Red Bull Salzburg. He's following in the footsteps of his brother [Brenden Aaronson]. That's what I'm hearing."

@herculezg on Paxten Aaronson

I have seen a few different places say La Liga club Celta de Vigo are kicking LDLT's tires.

That would be a nice landing spot.  A mid table team in La Liga is light years away from the second division in Holland.

Just looked up some odds and looks like Leeds are generally in a group of 5 or 6 bottom half teams expected to avoid relegation.  Like positions 12-16.

Agree that Adams is probably better in a defend-first side though.  Especially with his NT coach saying he's not able to single-man the #6 in a 4-3-3.
Huh?  GGG said this?  (Or am I not unpacking 'NT coach' correctly?)

Per Twitter folk, Chelsea supposedly going to complete the Sterling signing today.  Would think that can't be great for Pulisic's playing time this year.

The Pulisic rumors of moving have quieted the last two days.  Ziyech still looks like he may move to Serie A though.   Chelsea have to move at least 1 or even 2 wingers if they also sign Raphinha...else some big name expensive players like Pulisic and Werner are going to only see time in Cup games.

Last edited by a moderator:
He needs game time that he is not getting in MLS so this should help

=========

Atlanta United FC

@ATLUTD

| #ATLUTD has loaned Homegrown midfielder Tyler Wolff to second division Belgium side SK Beveren for the 2022-23 league season.

Leeds is indirectly financially supporting a couple of MLS academies.

Due to sell on fee's, Leeds created an additional $5m for Philly and $8m for NYRB, money which can keep their academies flush for many years to come.

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Jim Curtin spoke on how proud he is of the four homegrowns with the US U20s and added: "The international interest in them is going up, up, up." Unsurprising. Not only RB Salzburg in for Paxten Aaronson. A lot of clubs, per sources. A lot watching McGlynn, Sullivan & Craig too.

Users who are viewing this thread