What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

thanks for that... cool to read, but no real surprises there.

Kitchen should be in there- but I understand that there wasn't room in the concept of the piece to have another "next" guy.

interesting how far Green has fallen. also interesting to see Hyndeman (who I like) instead of Zelalem as a future guy. I haven't seen enough of Pulisic, but I think he's been playing as more of a target forward than MF at the u17WC.

and whatever happened to Boyd? he was Wood before Wood... athletic, young, fast- but too young tactically. thought if he developed that skill set he could be something.

Kitchen should be in there- but I understand that there wasn't room in the concept of the piece to have another "next" guy.

interesting how far Green has fallen. also interesting to see Hyndeman (who I like) instead of Zelalem as a future guy. I haven't seen enough of Pulisic, but I think he's been playing as more of a target forward than MF at the u17WC.

and whatever happened to Boyd? he was Wood before Wood... athletic, young, fast- but too young tactically. thought if he developed that skill set he could be something.
Jones was the most disturbing part of the piece as a fan. If his issues are not related to surgery, then I think he is done as a top line pro. Most Rev fans don't even want him to be re-signed for any sort of medium money deal. The difference in his level between last year at this time and now is enormous. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he can recover but I am not hopeful.

Boyd tore his ACL shortly after his move to Red Bull last year. I don't think he has played since then.

I think you might be thinking of a different player for the U17's. Pulisic is the furthest thing from a target forward at not even 140 pounds. He plays a similar role that Emerson does for the U20's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jones was the most disturbing part of the piece as a fan. If his issues are not related to surgery, then I think he is done as a top line pro. Most Rev fans don't even want him to be re-signed for any sort of medium money deal. The difference in his level between last year at this time and now is enormous. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he can recover but I am not hopeful.

Boyd tore his ACL shortly after his move to Red Bull last year. I don't think he has played since then.

I think you might be thinking of a different player for the U17's. Pulisic is the furthest thing from a target forward at not even 140 pounds. He plays a similar role that Emerson does for the U20's.
Pulisic is the #10? as I've watched, the only time I see him is receiving a long ball, back to goal, up field with a defender draped over him. I like his skills, and was completely unaware of what official position he plays- but that's what I've seen.

Pulisic is the #10? as I've watched, the only time I see him is receiving a long ball, back to goal, up field with a defender draped over him. I like his skills, and was completely unaware of what official position he plays- but that's what I've seen.
here is a quick highlight reel of him. You can see in most plays he is trailing the field and attacking from a slightly deeper position than a target forward would (who is typically the furthest up the field). The US was so completely out of ideas against Nigeria that I think they did resort to hoofing it non stop instead of playing through the midfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yV93OAFhQ8

I haven't really seen him before the WC... wasn't he injured in qualifying?

it was definitely against Nigeria where I noticed him playing up high. I did make a point of saying "at the WC". he looks like a complete player though- will be interesting to follow how he progresses.

funny watching random games- caught Syria vs NZ last night (was in the background as I did some work). some of the Syrian guys looked like Pirlo contemporaries, with scruff and cigarettes practically dangling out of their mouths. and some looked like babies. so hard to remember that the u17s are still really young... you see flashes of incredible maturity (physically and soccer-wise), and then lots of the opposite.

So, FS1 is airing the England/S. Korea game but not US/Chile?
no? who's showing the US game? univision/deportes?
I don't know. I discovered last week that I don't get either channel on DTV. At least not that I can locate. I have the ####ing sports package too. :hot:
just checked my timewarner... NBC UNiverso (MUN2). it's a freebie- at least on mine.
Hot damn, found it. And found Univision East and Deportes in the process. Must have missed it last time. Thanks GB!

So, FS1 is airing the England/S. Korea game but not US/Chile?
no? who's showing the US game? univision/deportes?
I don't know. I discovered last week that I don't get either channel on DTV. At least not that I can locate. I have the ####ing sports package too. :hot:
just checked my timewarner... NBC UNiverso (MUN2). it's a freebie- at least on mine.
Hot damn, found it. And found Univision East and Deportes in the process. Must have missed it last time. Thanks GB!
The US game is also on FS2. EG, you may get that channel on DTV (I do with my normal package). It is channel 618.

The game is not on FS1 because of the MLB playoff game is on FS1.

I feel like I am back in the 80's, with better tv coverage.

Jesus, is this miserable run for the program ever going to end?
Any more games or tourneys this calendar year for the US program to mangle?

Guh.

I finished watching, keeping an eye on at least individual players that might step up for the grown ups. Pulisic? Maybe. They all looked typically bereft of skills and ideas. Just like the grown ups

This run has beaten the #### out of me as a fan. Can't remember ever feeling this hopeless about the USMNT... almost to tge point of just wanting to quit being a fan.

I feel like I am back in the 80's, with better tv coverage.

Jesus, is this miserable run for the program ever going to end?
Any more games or tourneys this calendar year for the US program to mangle?

Guh.

I finished watching, keeping an eye on at least individual players that might step up for the grown ups. Pulisic? Maybe. They all looked typically bereft of skills and ideas. Just like the grown ups

This run has beaten the #### out of me as a fan. Can't remember ever feeling this hopeless about the USMNT... almost to tge point of just wanting to quit being a fan.
you know what is totally wrong and so ironic?

it almost feels like we were no worse off and maybe even a little better before we had kids training at academies, in Mexico or in Europe.

For years people crapped on colleges, blaming them for everything that was wrong with US Soccer and now it appears that maybe it had nothing to do with college.....

This is just who we are. It has been 20 years now and development (at the top end of each age group) does not look any different than the ones before.

The next time I see a group of kids spontaneously playing any game involving a soccer ball will be the first. We aren't going to make the leap until that becomes ubiquitous, and with video games, cell phones, and 200 cable channels that is less and less likely to occur.

When I was a kid, we didn't have a sand lot, but if you went up the street to the "flat part", every evening you could find a game of pickle or some improvised game of strikeout, etc. it was never a full fledged baseball game, but it was all games involving skills baseball "instincts". Every boy and girl in the street knew how to tag up, or execute a rundown, and everybody could throw and catch proficiently.

That has faded dramatically; I suppose the next best example would be basketball (probably even the best example, really).

These are the sports we grew up playing, without academies or even adult supervision most of the time - it was just passed down from kid to kid.

If I do see kids playing soccer in a non-league setting, they've gotten a ride to the park, they aren't just out in the street or the front yard playing, and they carried the ball to the field. (Whereas with a street basketball it got dribbled the whole way, whether it was a block or a half mile.)

I really don't think we will ever be much better than we are unless the other sports just totally collapse. Won't stop me from rooting for the USMNT, or being pissed when we get our butts kicked, but I'm not really expecting us to be world beaters any time soon.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I totally agree.

Except Ido see kids playing around in every park in NYC. Have heard similar things are happening elsewhere.

But it does seem like kids lives are so dictated, coordinated and organized for them that they have less time to just hang out and get into these kinds of things.

El Floppo said:
I totally agree.

Except Ido see kids playing around in every park in NYC. Have heard similar things are happening elsewhere.

But it does seem like kids lives are so dictated, coordinated and organized for them that they have less time to just hang out and get into these kinds of things.
I see kids playing soccer in the park near me. The thing is that this is an inner city, immigrant group that's playing like that. In general, it's not the suburbanite kids and teenagers playing like this. Their movements and activities are simply too prescribed as stated above.

It is wonderful to see Yedlin continuing to get game time. I hope this can continue.

============================================

AMSTERDAM – Sunderland loan defender DeAndre Yedlin enjoyed both a solid full outing at right back and his first taste of a Premier League derby victory in Sunday's 3-0 blanking of visiting arch nemesis Newcastle.

The US international once again displayed worth in possession, completing 21 of 25 passes with right link-ups in or into the attacking half. Yedlin rounded out his effort with a game-high six clearances on top of two tackles, an area shot block and a cross smother. Thanks ot their first win of the season, the Black Cats jumped two rungs out of the cellar.

CCV signed a new deal with Spurs today - new deal runs to 2018. He still seems to be a big part of Spurs future when they move to the new stadium. He is captaining the U21 side as a 17 yo. I expect he will get a chance at first-team games next season - probably Cup games, and Europa if Spurs qualify.

CCV signed a new deal with Spurs today - new deal runs to 2018. He still seems to be a big part of Spurs future when they move to the new stadium. He is captaining the U21 side as a 17 yo. I expect he will get a chance at first-team games next season - probably Cup games, and Europa if Spurs qualify.
I do think he was a bit out of his depth in the Olympic Qualifying. No shame in that as a 17 year old, but while I see Miazga contributing in this cycle, CCV seems more likely for Qatar, IMO.

Matthew Doyle ‏@MLSAnalyst Oct 26

Feilhaber, Kljestan and Finlay combined for 32 goals & 48 assists across all comps in 2015 (so far). And 0 #USMNT caps.

=============================================================================================

Benny and Sacha are one issue that we can't crack but I am really hopeful that Finlay gets his US chance in the next few months.

to be honest- I've loved what Stache has brought to the RBs.... but his repeated performances for the US have been hugely underwhelming. and those were during his Anderlecht days when he was- in theory- at the top of his game.

to be honest- I've loved what Stache has brought to the RBs.... but his repeated performances for the US have been hugely underwhelming. and those were during his Anderlecht days when he was- in theory- at the top of his game.
Both Bradley and Jurgen consistently tried Sacha at AM positions. Not in his natural double pivot role. Don't know why. He's the closest we have to what Holden would have been.

Both Bradley and Jurgen consistently tried Sacha at AM positions. Not in his natural double pivot role. Don't know why. He's the closest we have to what Holden would have been.
I remember him playing all over the MF- not just in the AM. but my memory is shaky.

and even though I played CM, I have no idea what a double pivot role is.

The Bradley years are getting hazy but I vaguely recall him playing his son and Jones in deep lying MF roles. I think the term double pivot is kind of misleading because most teams don't use the two DMCs totally interchangeably. In sort of an extreme case, the current Arsenal setup has Coquelin and Cazorla in those positions but in very different roles in the squad.

Klinsmann has used the diamond more with Michael Bradley in a more advanced role. When he's deployed two DMCs, it's been for defensive reasons against higher quality opposition e.g. the WC group game vs. Belgium with Jones and Cameron.

I remember him playing all over the MF- not just in the AM. but my memory is shaky.

and even though I played CM, I have no idea what a double pivot role is.
see if this helps

http://www.soccerpilot.com/tactic/articles/introduction-to-the-4-2-3-1-formation,-soccer.html

I suppose I should clarify a few things. I mean double-pivot to mean two deep-lying central midfielders who can both defend in front of the back four AND initiate the offense. So a bit different than Dunga's two defensive midfielder set-ups.

Bradley never really used the setup, but a lot of fans (including yours truly) thought that it was the best setup for the Nats if we had ever had Bradley and a healthy Holden. I felt (maybe much like JK does now) that Bradley was wasted a bit as just a #6, but didn't really enjoy having the US trot out a guy as limited as Rico Clark to play as a 6.

The double-pivot was hot around 2009-2012 or so. Arsenal played it with Song/Fabregas and eventually Song/Wilshere. Real has mostly played it for years (sometimes with two deep lying playmakers from Alonso, Modric, and Kroos and sometimes with a Khadira being a more mobile midfielder). PSG plays it great with Veratti and Matuidi. I think its a tactic that probably works best with teams that are otherwise super talented, and the pendulum has definitely swung back to dedicated anchormen like Matic and Schneiderlin.

Even when nominally playing a "diamond" I think the Bradley / Mix pairings in CM have often been double pivots. Bradley doesn't stay at the tip of the diamond much, and he's deeper than Mix as often as not. It's a role that I think Sacha (whose best Anderlecht years were with Lucas Biglia, another well-rounded deep lying midfielder) plays more naturally than Mix.

Even when nominally playing a "diamond" I think the Bradley / Mix pairings in CM have often been double pivots. Bradley doesn't stay at the tip of the diamond much, and he's deeper than Mix as often as not.
I think some of this is due to the demands JK places on the AM spot.

Bradley is asked to pressure like crazy every where he can. There are very few players with his engine so if JK wants that pressure I can see why he keeps trotting Bradly out in that spot.

I don't want the AM position to be a luxury position but I just don't see how running around like a chicken sans head helps Bradley offensive game, which more times than not seems to be lacking the touch of class one expects from the AM position.

Even when nominally playing a "diamond" I think the Bradley / Mix pairings in CM have often been double pivots. Bradley doesn't stay at the tip of the diamond much, and he's deeper than Mix as often as not.
I think some of this is due to the demands JK places on the AM spot.

Bradley is asked to pressure like crazy every where he can. There are very few players with his engine so if JK wants that pressure I can see why he keeps trotting Bradly out in that spot.

I don't want the AM position to be a luxury position but I just don't see how running around like a chicken sans head helps Bradley offensive game, which more times than not seems to be lacking the touch of class one expects from the AM position.
I don't disagree with any of that. To me, Bradley is a box to box midfielder. I don't mind him having a few more giveaways. That's the consequence of trying to create chances. But there's no way that he can initiate the offense and still make multiple 60 yard recovery runs a game, which is what he had to do against Mexico. Of course, the problem is exacerbated when he plays with Jones because Jones seems to drift wherever the #### he wants to at any given time.

I think I'd just go back to the 4-2-3-1 and play Deuce as the nominal "10." He's already a luxury player, but he's the best kind. The kind that pisses you off for most of the game, but somehow manages to find a goal.

Users who are viewing this thread