What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

Reminder that Nagbe and Portland play Dallas in just a bfew minutes on ESPN.
he looks solid on both sides of the ball. I love that he seems very willing to attack by driving his dribble right down the spine.
When did Nagbe learn to defend? He's looking more box to box today and I always thought of him as more of a CAM.
Could he pair with Bradley in the middle of a 4-4-2, allowing Zardes or someone else to go up top with Jozy? Perhaps put Bedoya and Fab on the wings and try to find a right and left back somewhere...

Reminder that Nagbe and Portland play Dallas in just a bfew minutes on ESPN.
he looks solid on both sides of the ball. I love that he seems very willing to attack by driving his dribble right down the spine.
When did Nagbe learn to defend? He's looking more box to box today and I always thought of him as more of a CAM.
Could he pair with Bradley in the middle of a 4-4-2, allowing Zardes or someone else to go up top with Jozy? Perhaps put Bedoya and Fab on the wings and try to find a right and left back somewhere...
The way he worked defensively today, it certainly looks like he could carry the load in the middle but JK was also pretty clear that Jones is going no where fast as he sees him as the main component in the middle with Bradley.

Jones won't make the end of the hex IMO. Of course I would have thought that DMB was done at this time 4 years ago as well. However, they are very different players with very different physicality to their games. There are central midfielders that can play into their mid 30s, but they must be surrounded by players that can close down well and begin an attack with the ball at their feet. We don't have a lot of those guys.

The Z Machine said:
Jones won't make the end of the hex IMO. Of course I would have thought that DMB was done at this time 4 years ago as well. However, they are very different players with very different physicality to their games. There are central midfielders that can play into their mid 30s, but they must be surrounded by players that can close down well and begin an attack with the ball at their feet. We don't have a lot of those guys.
I tend to agree with this. JJones isn't a player like Pirlo that can just move around at half speed and make pinpoint passes.

I love JJ and what he has brought to the USMNT but his fall from USMNT starter to the bench will be swift. I really don't know that he will even have a bench role in 2018. What does he really bring that could be added from the bench if his motor is running 50-60% of what it is now? His biggest asset has always been his closing and covering ground with tenacity. That won't be pretty when he slows down.

In a season where the MLS foreign talent was the best and deepest in history, 5 Americans were named to the MLS Best 11.

Ironically, for all of the MLS players on the national team, none of these 5 players are part of the program. * indicates American.

MLS Best XI:

Goalkeeper:

Luis Robles (NY Red Bulls)*

Defenders:

Laurent Ciman (Montreal)

Kendall Waston (Vancouver)

Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)*

Midfielders:

Benny Feilhaber (Sporting KC)*

Fabian Castillo (FC Dallas)

Dax McCarty (NY Red Bulls)*

Ethan Finlay (Columbus)*

Forwards:

Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC)

Kei Kamara (Columbus)

Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy)

Last edited by a moderator:
In a season where the MLS foreign talent was the best and deepest in history, 5 Americans were named to the MLS Best 11.

Ironically, for all of the MLS players on the national team, none of these 5 players are part of the program. * indicates American.

MLS Best XI:

Goalkeeper:

Luis Robles (NY Red Bulls)*

Defenders:

Laurent Ciman (Montreal)

Kendall Waston (Vancouver)

Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)*

Midfielders:

Benny Feilhaber (Sporting KC)*

Fabian Castillo (FC Dallas)

Dax McCarty (NY Red Bulls)*

Ethan Finlay (Columbus)*

Forwards:

Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC)

Kei Kamara (Columbus)

Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy)
I think Twellman is a whiny B most of the time, but his complaint about the formation of this 11 is valid. Is there a single team in (the) MLS that plays 3 at the back? The 11 should be a 442, even if they wanted 4 CB's on the D line.

Back to the topic at hand, Finlay and Hedges are both 25 and will get USMNT time soon. (Maybe not much for Hedges, we seem to be stockpiling CB's.) Dax is 28, not sure he will ever make the USMNT. Benny has been discussed ad naseum. :deadhorse: I don't see Robles ever getting time either, he's 31 and well behind Howard and Guzan.

Finlay is the one player from the 5 I could support getting a decent shot. I know wing (LM/RM) is a deep position w/ the USMNT but I really like Finlay's play.

Stanford is playing at Wake Forest in the NCAA quarterfinals on Saturday. Great chance for any NC folks to see Jordan Morris also John Harkes kid plays for Wake. Bummed I can't make it.

Michael Lewis@Soccerwriterhttps://twitter.com/Soccerwriter
.@NYCosmos just announced the contracts of @HajiWright, Samuel Caceres, John Neeskens, @Keasel have expired and will not be renewed

===============

I am hoping this is due to Haji turning 18 and was prearranged last year and not because he was awful.
dammit- I just had a night of drinks with the soccer alums, including my teammate the Cosmos GM. I should've asked about Wright. I did ask about who they were going after to replace Raul and Senna (said Senna was an incredible guy on and off the field- went home to Spain. Raul is staying in NYC and is being courted by all manner of companies, including MLS). He threw out Totti and Samoros (except the latter couldn't pass his physical- injured. Totti sounded like more of a pipe-dream... but who knows. He said they were getting a lot more guys interested because of a combo of the money and all the other high-profile names coming over.

A Wall Street Journal piece on the US's failure to produce a soccer star

===========================

Why the U.S. has never produced a male global soccer star remains one of the worlds greatest sports mysteries.

For a huge country that prides itself on producing elite athletes of all stripes, even in sports that arent endemic to its culture, the U.S. has contributed precious little to global football. Its best male exports to date, beyond goalkeepers, are Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan, two national-team veterans who never rose beyond the journeyman level in Englands Premier League.

Meanwhile Uruguaywhose population of 3.4 million makes it about 100 times smaller than the U.S.has only recently given the world Diego Forlan, the top player at the 2010 World Cup, and Luis Suárez, a member of the unstoppable three-pronged attacking front at Barcelona that includes Lionel Messi and Neymar and helped the Spanish club lift the 2015 Champions League trophy.

"You are talking about a country with a league that is only 20 years old and one that has a history of winning World Cups, so its not a fair comparison", said Uruguayan-American Fernando Clavijo, technical director for FC Dallas, who moved to the U.S. in 1979. "One day we will provide the world with some top goal scorers, I am sure of it."

Sundays final between the Columbus Crew and the Portland Timbers shows Major League Soccer and the sports national federation still have a ways to go in this regard. The match features a showdown between Sierra Leone-born Kei Kamara of Columbus, who tied for the league lead in goals with 22, and Nigerias Fanendo Adi of Portland, who tied for seventh best with 16. Just two of the top 10 scorers in MLS this year were born and raised in the U.S., the lowest total since 2001.

But if you look closely, there are some signs that soccer in the U.S. is providing more incubation than it used to. Kamara, 31, went to college in the U.S. and has played nearly his entire career with MLSthough he failed to break through during one-and-a half seasons with clubs in England. Playing alongside Kamara is Will Trapp, a promising 22-year-old midfielder from Gahanna, Ohio who grew up with the Crew.

According to the league, homegrown player minutes were up 40% this season. FC Dallas, which lost to Portland in the semifinals, has signed 13 homegrown players and started five during a September match, a record for MLS.

For many years, MLS sought to pump up its relevance by opening its checkbook: Cutting deals to import fading European brand names like David Beckham. The leagues teams have 160 foreign players taking up roster spots among its 20 clubs, or about 30% of its labor force. But those players often dominate starting lineups. More than half of Portlands starting lineup in its semifinal match Sunday was developed outside the U.S.

But behind the scenes, a competition has developed among the leagues clubs to invest in both development leagues and their own academies. "Teams recognize that the best way to put a first-class quality product on the field isn't only to be active internationally but to be committed to developing local domestic talent", said Todd Durbin, the leagues executive vice president for player relations. MLS teams spent roughly $40 million this year on player development, running teams for kids as young as 12. Eleven MLS teams now own clubs in the United Soccer League, the third division of pro soccer in the U.S. The league has signed 150 players directly from its academies. "I was five years into my professional career when I started learning the game, positioning and formations", Kamara said. "It helps when people grow up in academies."

The new approach also seems to appeal to MLS fans, a younger and increasingly more football-sophisticated bunch that wants the league to be something more than a retirement home for creaky foreigners. Howard Handler, the leagues chief marketing officer, said core fans want to see players who are still capable of playing on their countrys national teams.

Whether or not American players will meet those expectations remains to be seen. At a recent industry conference, Ferran Soriano, chief executive of the Premier Leagues Manchester City, which owns the MLS club NYCFC, said European stars in the U.S., such as David Villa and Frank Lampard, all gave him the same report on their American teammates: "Enthusiastic, hardworking, good fitness, " Soriano said. "They just need to learn some of the basics of the game."

In an ideal world, Clavijo said, MLS would have a rule that forces teams to give players raised in the U.S. a certain number of minutes, a rule that Mexico has adopted at times. We have a moral obligation to take chances on younger players, Clavijo said. If the clubs voted [on such a rule] though, Id probably be outvoted 19 to 1.

Sunil Gulati, president of the U.S. Soccer Federation, who has a vested interest in the production of an American star, said guaranteeing homegrown players more experience against elite completion could help the cause, but isnt a panacea. Over the long term you want a situation where they get through on their own, fighting for their playing time and not being given a spot, he said.

Durbin said MLS has debated the rule but is still trying to balance the dual needs of improving the quality of play while also allowing clubs to play with their best 11. Other than Kamara, the leagues top five scorers this season were all foreignSebastian Giovinco of Italy, Robbie Keane of Ireland, David Villa of Spain and Englands Bradley Wright-Phillips.

We have been very clear in our goal to be among best leagues in world by 2022 and the primary aspect of achieving that is putting the best product on the field, Durbin said. To do that, you have to bring in top international players but also bring along the domestic talent.

From SA, Yanks Abroad

=========

Defender Ventura Alvarado returned to the Club America lineup for a 3-1 win in the second leg of its Liga MX semifinal against Pumas but America exited, 4-3, on aggregate.

Alvarado was left on the bench during America’s 3-0 first-leg loss at home in which all three goals were scored after America had two defenders ejected. The 23-year-old Arizona product helped America win the Apertura 2014 title.

Jose Torres’ Tigres beat Toluca, 2-0, on Sunday after a scoreless first-leg, to reach the final. Torres, who appeared in eight of 16 regular-season games, has not seen postseason action.

Mexico, Liga MX Playoffs

Ventura Alvarado (Club America), 1 yellow card, 90 minutes, 3-1 at UNAM Pumas

Jose Torres (Tigres), DNP, 2-0 at Toluca

DROP DANGER FOR GUZAN AND YEDLIN. Aston Villa managed a 1-1 tie at Southampton but goalkeeper Brad Guzan’s team remains in last place with only six points from 15 games while second-to-last Sunderland, with DeAndre Yedlin, fell 3-1 at Arsenal.

Guzan has conceded 28 goals this season while Aston Villa has managed to score a league-low 13. Yedlin, on load from Tottenham, was cautioned while making his seventh EPL appearance. Defender Geoff Cameron moved into Stoke City's midfield and helped it to a 2-0 win over Manchester City.

England, Premier League

Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), 90 minutes, 2-0 vs. Manchester City

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), 90 minutes, 1-1 at Southampton

Tim Howard (Everton), vs. Crystal Palace (Monday)

DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland), 1 yellow card, 90 minutes, 1-3 at Arsenal

England, League Championship

Cody Cropper (MK Dons), DNP, 0-0 at Brentford, 0-2

Eric Lichaj (Nott. Forest), 1 assist, 90 minutes, 3-0 vs. Fulham

Tim Ream (Fulham), 90 minutes, 1-1, 0-3 at Nott. Forest

Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City), 90 minutes, 0-2 at Huddersfield

Danny Williams (Reading), 90 minutes, 0-1 at QPR

JOHNSON AND BROOKS ON TARGET. U.S. midfielder Fabian Johnson scored Borussia Monchengladbach's third goal of a 3-1 win that handed Bayern Munich its first Bundesliga loss of the season. Johnson's strike marked his fifth in all competitions in the last five weeks -- in addition to his goal in the USA's 6-1 win over St. Vincent and the Grenadines in 2018 World Cup qualifying play.

Defender John Brooks scored Hertha Berlin's gamewinner in a 2-1 victory over Bayer Leverkusen. The 60th-minute header was the 22-year-old's first of the season and fourth goal in 51 Bundesliga appearances.

Germany, Bundesliga

John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), 1 goal, 90 minutes, 2-1 vs. Bayer Leverkusen

Timmy Chandler (Ein. Frankfurt), DNP, 0-1 vs. Darmstadt

Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen), DNP injured, 1-1 at at VfB Stuttgart

Fabian Johnson (Bor. Moenchengladbach), 90 minutes, 1 goals, 3-1 vs. Bayern Munich

Alfredo Morales (FC Ingolstadt), 1 yellow card, 89 minutes, 1-1 vs. Hoffenheim

Germany, 2. Bundesliga

Shawn Berry (FSV Frankfurt), 1 yellow card, 90 minutes, 0-1 at 1860 Munich

Terrence Boyd (RB Leipzig), DNP injured, 4-2 vs. Duisburg

Caleb Stanko (Freiburg), DNP, 3-0 vs. Union Berlin

Bobby Wood (Union Berlin), 90 minutes, 0-3 vs. Freiburg

Andre Wooten (Sandhausen), 90 minutes, 1-1 vs. Fuerth

France, Ligue 1

Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), 1 assist, 90 minutes, 1-1 at Ajaccio

Netherlands, Eredivisie

Rubio Rubin (FC Utrecht), DNP injured, 1-0 at De Graafschap

Desevio Payne (Groningen), DNP, 0-0 at Roda JC

Scotland, Championship

Gedion Zelalem (Rangers), at Raith Rovers (postponed, weather)

Fabian Johnson...our only hope
"No, there is another"

sorry, all geeked up for Star Wars next week :)
From Wahl last month

Ledermans not giving up on BarcelonaI spoke this week to Danny Lederman. He’s the father of 15-year-old Ben Lederman, who was the first U.S. player ever admitted to Barcelona’s famous La Masia youth academy in 2011. The whole Lederman family moved to Barcelona, just like Lionel Messi’s family had when he was 13, but last year FIFA started cracking down on the enforcement of a rule that was designed to prevent minors from being brought to Europe from abroad and discarded to the streets if they didn’t pan out.

Ben Lederman was prevented from playing in games for Barcelona for a year, and he recently moved to Florida to join the U.S. Soccer residency program and train with the U.S. Under-17 team. His father says he’s bringing legal action against FIFA to try to get the rule changed—and hopes his son still gets to play for Barcelona sooner rather than later.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-americans-abroad/2015/12/8/9869040/john-brooks-hertha-berlin-transfer

John Brooks' future at Hertha Berlin is very much in doubt. The club would like to sign the United States defender to a new contract and hope to do so before Christmas, but if they cannot then they will explore selling him, according to Kicker.

Brooks' current contract expires in the summer of 2017 so it makes sense that Hertha would be trying to get him on a new deal. If he gets to the summer on this contract then Hertha would have to either sell him on the cheap -- because they would have no leverage with him a year from leaving on a free -- or give him the chance to play out his contract then get no transfer fee should he leave. Clubs rarely like to let players get to the final year of their contracts and they're doing what they can now to ensure Brooks does not.

It's unclear what wages Brooks is on now or what Hertha is offering in the new contract. The negotiations come at a good time for Brooks, having started the club's last four matches. He's played well, scoring a goal and defending expertly to draw the praise of those in the team.

Hertha has been good to Brooks and it is the only club Brooks has ever known. He came up through its academy, making it to the deserve team and then the first team. When he was 19 years old, he made his first team debut and helped them get promoted to the Bundesliga. He's been a key member of the club ever since, flashing his considerable talents and having magnificent stretches, but also battling inconsistency.

It's no surprise that Hertha want to keep Brooks. He's an academy product and a good player. Moreover, he's only 22 years old and capable of so much more. Ideally, he would remain part of the club and become the defensive stalwart he's capable of. If he does, then he's the linchpin of the Hertha defense or they're able to sell him for much more than they would sell him for now. But if he doesn't sign a new contract then Brooks could be on the move in the near future.

Update on Boyd

===================

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/terrence-boyd-still-unable-to-train-fully-with-rb-leipzig

It has been more than a year since Terrence Boyd suffered a serious injury, and he is still not certain when he will be able to train fully again with his club.

Boyd, 24, tore his right ACL and meniscus on Dec. 7, 2014, but has had setbacks on his road to recovery and has not been able to resume practicing with RB Leipzig. The forward, who partially tore the same ACL last July, recently had to go under the knife again due to fluid build-up.

There is no exact timetable for a complete recovery, but Boyd hopes to be able to test his knee again in January. If everything works out without a problem then, he believes he could potentially return to playing in one to two more months.

Boyd joined RB Leipzig in summer 2014. He made seven league appearances for the 2. Bundesliga outfit before suffering the serious injury last winter, and scored twice.

"you are what you are"

This was a saying Bill Parcell's used to use as a coach.

I was wondering if that holds true to the US National team?

This may come off as negative bah humbug type of post but I am starting to come around that the US is who they are and it won't change.

I don't think having MLS growing and getting better (which I think has a good likelihood of happening) will have much of an affect on the National Team.

I look at England. Fabulous facilities, great coaches, long standing academies, young players introduced to a pro game with great teams and great players at a young age to not only learn from but play with in big games.

And yet no matter how much the EPL has going for it, England is always going to be who they are on the international side which is most times a legit top 10 team but not one that really belongs in a top 5 discussion.

I feel the same about the US, I think we will always be a top 25-30ish type team, but never a legit top 10 type team.

I have always held on to the hopes that the base US player would improve over the years but what I did not calculate was that even if the base US player did improve, that it was only going to have a long lasting affect if the rest of the world stayed still, and that is not happening as other countries also improve.

I feel like I have been waiting 25 years now to see some significant improvements but I just can't convince myself they are there.

The money is better

The overall coaching is better

The facilities are better

The identification of players at a young age is better

The ability to bypass college and get into a pro league early is better

The bias against US players overseas is all but gone, making it significantly better

And yet, the base US player (whether born in the US, or a dual national) has not moved up the ladder in quality (in relation to other countries) much, if at all over the past 2 decades.

20 years ago the US made the semi finals of the Copa America, away in Uruguay. If we made the semi finals, at home, next summer, I would be incredibly happy.

The U.S. national team is expected to open its 2016 schedule with a January friendly against Iceland in Carson, California, multiple sources have told ESPNFC.

The Iceland match would take place on Jan. 31, and it would be the first of two games a mostly MLS-based U.S. squad would play near the end of the annual year-opening camp. The second match is slated for early February, also in the western United States. And a source has indicated that Canada is the potential opponent.

Kenny was born in the US and then moved to Isreal.

He turned pro in Israel at age 16 and then moved to Gent in 2014 where he won the double in his first season in Belgium.

He will turn 22 this month.

He has represented Israel at U16, U18, U19, and U21 levels.

He is a midfielder.

He started and went the full 90 in Gent's last 2 Champions League games helping them advance out of the group stage.

Btw, I saw the first half of Greens BM performance. Really uninvolved pinned all the way on the right flank. Got the ball a few times outside box and tried to do the exact same thing every time - lean back field, try to beat the defender to the line or opening for a cross. Defender ate him up each time. Crosses, when they came, were really handled by central d in front of goal. But I did see him working hard defensively.

Really cool story about Dave Romney, an undrafted player who in one season went from a tryout to play for LA2(Galaxy USL team) to getting called up to the Galaxy to getting MLS minutes to getting called to the U23 Olympic team.

Very cool but still pretty scary how players like this are still going unnoticed. Thankfully the USL is big enough now to give this lost souls a place.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/26/profile-world-class-center-back-how-la-galaxys-dave-romney-went-undrafted-us
Youth soccer still broken. The politics and cost are unbelievable.

NewlyRetired said:
"you are what you are"

This may come off as negative bah humbug type of post but I am starting to come around that the US is who they are and it won't change.

I don't think having MLS growing and getting better (which I think has a good likelihood of happening) will have much of an affect on the National Team.

I look at England. Fabulous facilities, great coaches, long standing academies, young players introduced to a pro game with great teams and great players at a young age to not only learn from but play with in big games.

And yet no matter how much the EPL has going for it, England is always going to be who they are on the international side which is most times a legit top 10 team but not one that really belongs in a top 5 discussion.

I feel the same about the US, I think we will always be a top 25-30ish type team, but never a legit top 10 type team.

I have always held on to the hopes that the base US player would improve over the years but what I did not calculate was that even if the base US player did improve, that it was only going to have a long lasting affect if the rest of the world stayed still, and that is not happening as other countries also improve.

I feel like I have been waiting 25 years now to see some significant improvements but I just can't convince myself they are there.

The money is better

The bias against US players overseas is all but gone, making it significantly better

And yet, the base US player (whether born in the US, or a dual national) has not moved up the ladder in quality (in relation to other countries) much, if at all over the past 2 decades.

20 years ago the US made the semi finals of the Copa America, away in Uruguay. If we made the semi finals, at home, next summer, I would be incredibly happy.
We will be a top ten country in our life time as long as we keep going in the direction we are now with our youth training and MLS growth. In my backyard, the Revs Academy is really raising the bar on youth training available for all, and it is already showing results here.For the money to keep pouring in nationally, we need to continue to add more players to MLS that people want to pay to see. Homegrown talent helps also. It's a numbers game once you get to a certain level (Look at South America) and we have as many great athletes as anyone in the world.

Getting Euro games on TV here ten years ago was a game changer imo. The huge amount of kids that got brought in from that advancement are like 10-14 y/o now if my math is right. Things should be starting to improve from that bump very soon, and then will get another bump in about five more years from the huge improvement on training nationally that followed.

My son is ten and all the kids in R.I. have been playing soccer year round now for about four or five years. I have to assume the rest of the country is on a similar path. Be patient, its coming.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
NewlyRetired said:
"you are what you are"

The money is better

We will be a top ten country in our life time as long as we keep going in the direction we are now with our youth training and MLS growth. In my backyard, the Revs Academy is really raising the bar on youth training available for all, and it is already showing results here.For the money to keep pouring in nationally, we need to continue to add more players to MLS that people want to pay to see. Homegrown talent helps also. It's a numbers game once you get to a certain level (Look at South America) and we have as many great athletes as anyone in the world.

Getting Euro games on TV here ten years ago was a game changer imo. The huge amount of kids that got brought in from that advancement are like 10-14 y/o now if my math is right. Things should be starting to improve from that bump very soon, and then will get another bump in about five more years from the huge improvement on training nationally that followed.

My son is ten and all the kids in R.I. have been playing soccer year round now for about four or five years. I have to assume the rest of the country is on a similar path. Be patient, its coming.
andy and I have heard and said this for 25 years.

I kind of agree with his general assessment and comparison to England. the game has grown exponentially here- but the top tier of talent hasn't grown at all. we all hope that that rise of the LCD will some day elevate that top tier... but so far it hasn't.

I do believe that we'll be able to push into the 15-5 ranking pretty consistently as the funds keep coming in and the massive athletic talent here decides to keep moving towards the sport. I keep telling my friends (or anybody that will listen) that we've only really had one generation- barely- of kids grow up with a domestic professional league. But recently, I think the bigger jump is the recent easy access to international leagues so that US kids can see the best of the best play week in... and then hear quality discussion and assessment of the play.

But ultimately, it will be the money available that will decide our progress. If kids can dream about playing in MLS as the end-game- with big paychecks, crowds and top quality... we'll have arrived and will be able to permanently keep ourselves in the top of the world discussion. not quite the Germany, Brazil, Argentina kind of top... but next tier, IMO.

• Smile
Slight hijack.....With my two boys completely obsessed with soccer (9 & 7), this has been a very interesting subject to me. They've been playing year round for 2 years now and their growth has been so rewarding. I don't envision them to be national players, but I won't get in their way if that's what they want to do. The 7yr old is good enough to run with the U10 rec leagues, at least. We're on the fence about getting involved with the academy teams at such a young age...

I was a mediocre soccer player as a kid, but haven't been around the game for 20+ years...until my boys got into it. I'm way behind the curve, but want to support them as much as I can. Does anyone here have any experience with the US Soccer coaching license system? I was thinking about going through the process just to be able to coach as much as I can. There will be a point in time very soon where I have nothing else to offer to them, unless this coaching thing is a good resource.

I took a spot on the waiting list for the F license course and just got word that I got a slot to take the course this weekend. I have 72hrs to decide :lol: That feels like a racket to me, but hoping its a good resource. Is it worth my time/money? :shrug:

why not let guys who have been around the sport the last 20 years coach them? not trying to bust your balls here, but seems to me that if it's about them progressing as far as possible/desired then you'd want somebody else coaching them. If it's about getting a chance to hang as much as possible with the kids in rec leagues or whatever... sure- go for it.

signed,

rec league coach.

eta: after two seasons, I have determined that floppinho is absolutely horrible at my beloved sport.

eta: after two seasons, I have determined that floppinho is absolutely horrible at my beloved sport.
Sammyinho professed his love for basketball this morning...I really have to take him to either NYRB or NYCFC next year.

Edit: I know I bust MLS's balls about "development", but after seeing my son, I do have to say that having a successful league is important to getting young kids hooked especially if they can go see the other sports.

Sammyinho professed his love for basketball this morning...I really have to take him to either NYRB or NYCFC next year.
same. or Cosmos.

jr is just not a sports guy. zero physical competitive drive at all- he reminds me of the collie I had growing up who, when you threw a stick for him to fetch, wouuld look at you with a "wtf did I ever do to you, and why are you throwing that stick". my kid will literally run the opposite direction of the ball if somebody else is moving towards it. his favorite part of playing is getting to talk to his teammates before and after games. but he's a lefty and has a slick pull back move... so maybe there's a chance.

Ned said:
Slight hijack.....With my two boys completely obsessed with soccer (9 & 7), this has been a very interesting subject to me. They've been playing year round for 2 years now and their growth has been so rewarding. I don't envision them to be national players, but I won't get in their way if that's what they want to do. The 7yr old is good enough to run with the U10 rec leagues, at least. We're on the fence about getting involved with the academy teams at such a young age...

I was a mediocre soccer player as a kid, but haven't been around the game for 20+ years...until my boys got into it. I'm way behind the curve, but want to support them as much as I can. Does anyone here have any experience with the US Soccer coaching license system? I was thinking about going through the process just to be able to coach as much as I can. There will be a point in time very soon where I have nothing else to offer to them, unless this coaching thing is a good resource.

I took a spot on the waiting list for the F license course and just got word that I got a slot to take the course this weekend. I have 72hrs to decide :lol: That feels like a racket to me, but hoping its a good resource. Is it worth my time/money? :shrug:
I have a E and some youth modules. Take any course you can. It will help you understand the process better at a minimum. I have no regrets on taking the courses.

• Smile
El Floppo said:
PIK95 said:
NewlyRetired said:
"you are what you are"

The money is better

I kind of agree with his general assessment and comparison to England. the game has grown exponentially here- but the top tier of talent hasn't grown at all. we all hope that that rise of the LCD will some day elevate that top tier... but so far it hasn't.

I do believe that we'll be able to push into the 15-5 ranking pretty consistently as the funds keep coming in and the massive athletic talent here decides to keep moving towards the sport. I keep telling my friends (or anybody that will listen) that we've only really had one generation- barely- of kids grow up with a domestic professional league. But recently, I think the bigger jump is the recent easy access to international leagues so that US kids can see the best of the best play week in... and then hear quality discussion and assessment of the play.

But ultimately, it will be the money available that will decide our progress. If kids can dream about playing in MLS as the end-game- with big paychecks, crowds and top quality... we'll have arrived and will be able to permanently keep ourselves in the top of the world discussion. not quite the Germany, Brazil, Argentina kind of top... but next tier, IMO.
I actually don't think teams are what they are for perpetuity. Spain weren't world powers for decades until they were. Belgium was just another European team until they were one of the best European teams. I do think that teams like Germany, Italy, Argentina, and Brazil are the most likely to consistently make deep tournament runs, but after that I think lots of countries can have Golden Generations. And I think the US is one of those countries. Mexico is certainly one of those countries. What that generally requires is several good youth team players to become solid pros and at least one of those guys to become a star. We've had some growing pains, but there's evidence there that the country can produce solid pros. We're waiting on the star. The good thing is that those things don't have to all come from the same youth program. Our Under 20 team had several players who look like solid pros (Steffen, CCV, Miazga, Payne, Canouse, maybe Hyndman and Zelalem). Our under 17 team might not have as many solid pros. But maybe Pulisic is the star.

Ned said:

I have a E and some youth modules. Take any course you can. It will help you understand the process better at a minimum. I have no regrets on taking the courses.
I thought you could take the F course from the Digital Coaching Center at any time? I have no idea if Scrappygang will even want to play or if I'd ever put myself out to coach (my brother's experience coaching his daughter's team was as awful as you'd imagine), but I'll probably at least take the F course. Maybe the E.

The F is a new online course. I have YM6-8,YM 8-10, YM 10-12, and Level Five Diploma/E. I never did the F as it wasn't around until last year. I will probably get Futsal certified this summer. That's my new passion to teach.

As for a golden generation type run for the USA I disagree. Once we get there, we will never come back to the pack. We will be a top dog permanently at that point. Our population alone dictates that.

The F is a new online course. I have YM6-8,YM 8-10, YM 10-12, and Level Five Diploma/E. I never did the F as it wasn't around until last year. I will probably get Futsal certified this summer. That's my new passion to teach.

As for a golden generation type run for the USA I disagree. Once we get there, we will never come back to the pack. We will be a top dog permanently at that point. Our population alone dictates that.
I'd like to buy into that.

I've always said it's a culture thing that keeps us back... we just lack the history with the sport to churn out consistent, soccer-smart players, let alone the superstars.

But obviously as time goes by and kids are exposed more continuously to the intricacies of the game- and the money is there for them to want to play pro- it has to happen. right? some day?

I had thought it would be my kids' generation... but maybe it's their kids' generation that does this.

eta: I do buy that if/once we get there, the combination of money and population will put us in the Germany and Brazil realm. it's going to happen, IMO, when every american alive was brought up with the sport.

I agree but its a when not if question in my mind.

Just as a snapshot example, there are like ten very athletic boys in my sons fifth grade. Six of them are club level soccer players (two defenders-four attackers) as there top sport, one is baseball, and the other three are either hoop/football. In that grade, almost all of the kids that started in football (over ten) have quit. That's an eye opener.

I hope you positive guys are not much younger than me because I want to see it before I die. And not just a Bulgeria with Hristo or Romania with Hagi blip on the map because a few good players surrounded an all time great, I want to see it sustained.

Just as a snapshot example, there are like ten very athletic boys in my sons fifth grade. Six of them are club level soccer players (two defenders-four attackers) as there top sport, one is baseball, and the other three are either hoop/football. In that grade, almost all of the kids that started in football (over ten) have quit. That's an eye opener.
Bump for edit. I'm forty, but run a thirty team youth club that had eight teams just three years ago. One more thing I would add is that the girls side seems to be regressing locally for some reason. It also seems that 90% of the crazy parents are on the girls side. Out of our thirtyish teams, we have like six girls groups.

Ned said:

I thought you could take the F course from the Digital Coaching Center at any time? I have no idea if Scrappygang will even want to play or if I'd ever put myself out to coach (my brother's experience coaching his daughter's team was as awful as you'd imagine), but I'll probably at least take the F course. Maybe the E.
That's what I thought, but they have a waiting list for the F course on DCC. I don't get why they're doing it that way. It also costs $25. I signed up for the waiting list on Tuesday and got the email today that it's my turn...

Our rec league coaching is a complete crap shoot. The boys have had some crappy coaches and some awesome coaches, but the good coaches also have talented kids that have since moved on to academy teams. It's the nature of the beast.

So I volunteered to coach the U10 indoor rec league. It's been a blast, but I know this level is about it for my coaching abilities. I know I won't be replacing academy level coaching, but I'd like to coach while we get them ready for the next step. After that, I'd love to be able to at least supplement at home when they're not at practice for the academy teams. I thought taking the F and E courses might be a good idea, but wasn't sure.

We were approached about playing the 7yr old at a different club's U9 academy team, but we said no for now. I'm really on the fence about when to move on to academy for both boys. Both are definitely capable of making their age group academy teams, but I'm not sure we're ready as a family for the commitment. I really want them to succeed at something they both love, but I also don't want to burn them out by pushing them too far too soon.

El Floppo said:
PIK95 said:
NewlyRetired said:
"you are what you are"

The money is better

Argentina is more a case of having 2 of the best 3 or so players ever inside of 30 years apart. Without a transcendent talent they'll be good but not top tier.

Users who are viewing this thread