What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (23 Viewers)

Klinsmann says Morris should forego senior year and turn pro.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/17/jurgen-klinsmann-jordan-morris-options-his-next-step-obviously-has-be-becoming

"He has to decide what is his next step. His next step obviously has to be becoming a professional," said Klinsmann."
he seems really reluctant. I hope there is an offer that makes him want to take the jump.
I would think after winning the College Cup that he'd be able to let go of his college soccer dreams and just jump in. He can always finish his stanford degree later.
I had to chuckle at the MiB saying they gave his number to Martinez. I'm going to be a little surprised if he ends up in the MLS.

El Floppo said:
NewlyRetired said:
Buzzbait said:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/17/jurgen-klinsmann-jordan-morris-options-his-next-step-obviously-has-be-becoming

"He has to decide what is his next step. His next step obviously has to be becoming a professional," said Klinsmann."
he seems really reluctant. I hope there is an offer that makes him want to take the jump.
I would think after winning the College Cup that he'd be able to let go of his college soccer dreams and just jump in. He can always finish his stanford degree later.
I think it is more the degree than the soccer that has kept him in school to this date. He will have to make a decision soon.

Sammy3469 said:
El Floppo said:
NewlyRetired said:
Buzzbait said:

I had to chuckle at the MiB saying they gave his number to Martinez. I'm going to be a little surprised if he ends up in the MLS.
they raised the amount that they can pay home grown players now but I don't think it will be enough to keep him from higher pay in Europe.

I just hope that where ever he goes he can find playing time whether in MLS or else where.

PIK95 said:
GROOT said:
Americans aren't the best dribblers/skillers. Our attackers can't beat defenders one on one. This is what is holding the US back imo. I'm fine with JK. To put it bluntly US players just aren't up to par compared to the bigger football countries.
And this is very true also.
The quality of just the first touch alone is astonishingly different.

PIK95 said:
GROOT said:
Americans aren't the best dribblers/skillers. Our attackers can't beat defenders one on one. This is what is holding the US back imo. I'm fine with JK. To put it bluntly US players just aren't up to par compared to the bigger football countries.
It will come with the younger ones. Wait until Futsal takes hold here. I would love to see some stud college players rise up quick.

PIK95 said:
GROOT said:
exactly...you can see the first touch and passing fluidity. They aren't passing with confidence or purpose.

I don't think technical skills are the issue - exactly.

I think its a more nebulous "composure" issue. The ability to use technical skills under pressure - and to instinctively know what to do with/without the ball, again, under pressure.

I don't know how you teach/coach that since it really comes about via experience. But, it has to be the right experience - maybe more training/focus on smaller games in constrained areas - :shrug:

I think its a more nebulous "composure" issue. The ability to use technical skills under pressure - and to instinctively know what to do with/without the ball, again, under pressure.

I don't know how you teach/coach that since it really comes about via experience. But, it has to be the right experience - maybe more training/focus on smaller games in constrained areas - :shrug:
That's what JK is trying to infuse by bringing in players overseas

That's what JK is trying to infuse by bringing in players overseas
And that is the most ironic thing about the whole discussion. If you did not know any better you would have just assumed that Morales, Chandler, Green, Boyd, Williams and others grew up in the US instead of the places they did.

I don't think that's the issue. We are already doing this because we don't have enough fields to accommodate practice after school. Personally I see a lack of ability to make long passes or passes at speed, but are money at making a 10 yard pass.

berndog said:
[SIZE=medium]I wasn’t offended by her comments and think in some instances she was spot on. Fire Klinsmann? She is saying what many people think. Klinsmann hasn’t spent enough time with youth development? They youth teams have flamed out of every competition and that hinders development. I think Sunil giving him coaching and technical director was a big mistake as they are both demanding positions and no way can you do both at a high level. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Doesn’t like the foreign players? We all want to see a team with a roster full of players that are born and raised in the USA and I think that is what Abby was driving at. Klinsmann has a balancing act of fielding the best team(which will include non US born players) while as technical director he has to create better players. His non-stop recruiting of foreign players does prevent US born and bred players from getting opportunities. He gave Julian Green a spot on the World Cup roster at the expense of Donovan. How is Timmy Chandler an improvement over Evans, Ream or a host of other mediocre defenders? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I think she could have said things a little better and her timing was suspect but the gist of the message is alright with me. [/SIZE]
Bunch of horse hockey IMO. Your 60 secs is ovah.

The gender equity thing has caused our men's sport to suffer. College opportunities are in the crapper because the men only get 9.9 scholies per team. Bump that to 14 like the women or open it up completely (plus exclude football from the gender equity) and two things will happen. First the talent will consolidate at the top schools. Secondly, the big football schools will add soccer. The talent is spread to thin limiting development in college.

I genuinely believe it's the bolded above more than a question of touch. Of course, better touch will help- but I see most US guys with consistent, solid first touch who are closed down not because of the touch or lack of skill, but because they're a split-second slow with their decision making or understanding of what to do next. Same is true of their runs.

It's a question of tactical understanding that hasn't seeped into the core of the US player yet- they get the first run and the get the first touch (except for klang-klang jozy), but it's the anticipation and understanding of the second/third run and second touch that too often keeps the US players and team below the top tiers.

This goes back to the question of soccer culture I keep dead-horse-beating... we're just naive, as nation. but it's growing quickly with a full generation of kids who were born with a pro league, and part of a generation of kids who have had soccer from around the world available to them via cable and interweb.

I genuinely believe it's the bolded above more than a question of touch. Of course, better touch will help- but I see most US guys with consistent, solid first touch who are closed down not because of the touch or lack of skill, but because they're a split-second slow with their decision making or understanding of what to do next. Same is true of their runs.

It's a question of tactical understanding that hasn't seeped into the core of the US player yet- they get the first run and the get the first touch (except for klang-klang jozy), but it's the anticipation and understanding of the second/third run and second touch that too often keeps the US players and team below the top tiers.

This goes back to the question of soccer culture I keep dead-horse-beating... we're just naive, as nation. but it's growing quickly with a full generation of kids who were born with a pro league, and part of a generation of kids who have had soccer from around the world available to them via cable and interweb.
:lmao:

When you have 3 or 4 teams sharing the same field for practice you develop a great first touch but never make real runs or get to work on full field vision.

When you have 3 or 4 teams sharing the same field for practice you develop a great first touch but never make real runs or get to work on full field vision.
3 or 4 teams sharing a field being the norm across the entire country- enough to dictate the way our country plays- is news to me.

Jermaine JonesVerified account@Jermainejuniorhttps://twitter.com/Jermainejunior

I would like to return to @nerevolution but they have offered me less than 20% of what I made last year.====================================

If this is true, NE must have offered under $600k since he was making $3m last year.
I'm reading that as a 20% cut in pay. But it could be what you wrote, which would be a serious slap in the nads.
mathematically it reads

(20% * last years salary) = the new offer

It almost has to be that way because there is no way he could complain publicly about a 20% cut in pay at his age knowing that he is going to be suspended for almost 20% of the season.

If he is #####ing about a 20% salary cut, he is not going to get a lot of sympathy.

I felt like Abby was almost seeking revenge for Landon and the others guys on the way out with her comments. His comments cement that feeling for me. BTW, wasn't her girl #2 Lerioux born in Canada?

SAN FRANCISCO -- Futbol de Primera has awarded midfielder Michael Bradley with its annual U.S. Player of the Year Award for the first time.

The American captain had three goals and six assists in 18 appearances in 2015, the most assists on the team in a calendar year since Landon Donovan's eight in 2013.

Bradley, who plays for Toronto FC in Major League Soccer, received 39 first-place votes and 176 points in voting that was announced on Friday. Three-time winner Clint Dempsey was second with 33 firsts and 145 points, followed by 2013 winner Jozy Altidore with nine firsts and 70 points.

A player receives three points for each first-place vote in the balloting, two points for each second-place vote, and one point for each third-place vote.

The U.S. Soccer Federation will announce its Male Player of the Year award next week.

Upcoming opponent Guat is in a complete state of chaos

==============================

World Cup qualifying in Concacaf is littered with stories of national teams whose dreams quickly evaporated because of mismanagement. In the case of Guatemala, which is slated to face the USA twice in March, it suffered the whopper of all setbacks.

Guatemalan soccer federation president Brayan Jimenez, and its secretary general, Hector Trujillo, were indicted by U.S. authorities, along with its former representative on the FIFA executive committee, Rafael Salguero, crippling the national governing body.

Amid the chaos, Argentine Ivan Franco Sopegno quit as national team coach and returned to Comunicaciones. His contract was set to expire at the end of 2015.

"Given the recent events our football has gone through," Sopegno and his assistants said in a statement, "we feel that the conditions are not present for us to be able to develop ourselves as professionally as we would like and as our national team needs."

Guatemala finds itself behind the eight ball in World Cup 2018 qualifying, having opened with a 2-1 loss to Trinidad & Tobago at home in its opener. It also finished last in its group at the Gold Cup, leaving in out of contention for a berth in next summer's Copa Centenario. Sopegno was in charge of the Chapines for 18 months.

Jimenez's whereabouts are unknown, prompting the Guatemalan government to issue a $750,000 reward for information about him. Trujillo, a national judge, happened to be on a cruise ship when the indictments came down and he was arrested when his Disney ship docked in Port Canaveral, Florida.

FIFA will appoint crisis management committees at the Guatemalan federation to run soccer in Guatemala and organize elections. The Guatemalan federation is scheduled to meet on Tuesday.

FIFA will do the same thing in Honduras, where its federation president, Alfredo Hawit, was also the acting Concacaf president and a FIFA vice president when he was arrested on Dec. 3 at the Baur au Lac hotel in Zurich.

Arrests in the two series of indictments have hit every Central American country except Belize.

Noah Davis piece from ESPN on a 2105 review with a positive spin

=======================================

http://www.espnfc.com/club/united-states/660/blog/post/2759644/us-had-notable-ups-and-downs-in-2015-but-made-progress

Was 2015 really that bad for the United States men's national team?

In 2015, they went on the road and defeated Germany and the Netherlands, teams that sat first and sixth, respectively, in FIFA's world rankings at the time. Coach Jurgen Klinsmann's squad finished the year on top of their World Cup qualifying group, set up to qualify easily for the Hexagonal round.

The Americans integrated a few talented new faces like Gyasi Zardes, Darlington Nagbe and Matt Miazga, players who can make a significant impact on the road to Russia and beyond. Near the end of the year, the head coach seemed to (finally) learn from past mistakes, deploying sensible lineups that put players in familiar positions where they could succeed.

So why are many men's national team supporters calling 2015 a failure?

"I think that the negative probably overshadowed [the positive] a little bit," former national team forward Brian McBride said in looking back at the year.

On one hand, this is an understandable perspective. The Americans failed to win the Gold Cup, finishing a disappointing fourth, and then lost the CONCACAF Cup against Mexico, a defeat that means they won't play in the 2017 Confederations Cup. There were other low points as well, notably a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Brazil, a game in which the U.S. never had a chance. On the field, the Stars and Stripes looked stagnant at times and lost in others.

But on the other, let's maintain perspective. While losing the Gold Cup hurts -- and finishing fourth is an embarrassment -- the defeat isn't a large setback in the grand scheme. Not reaching the Confederations Cup means the U.S. misses out on some experience playing in Russia, but there's no proven connection between competing in that tournament and success at the following year's World Cup, which is the only thing that really matters. At least some of the on-field inconsistency is the byproduct of trying to install new players within the team.

Was it ugly? Yes. Did Klinsmann find some answers or some way to succeed in the future? Perhaps.

One key is Nagbe, a promising player who donned the red, white and blue for the first time. "I think that he's a player who we haven't seen come through our national team in a very long time," McBride says. "He'll continue to grow. He's a very young player who keeps getting better and better."

Former national teamer and current ESPN color man Taylor Twellman agrees. "Nagbe has the tools to be a special player, especially now with his confidence in the central midfield spot. He looks to be a true No. 8 who doesn't lose possession and, more importantly, he puts in work defensively. His inclusion will no doubt help Michael Bradley."

Nagbe, who earned eligibility late in the year and still hasn't started a game for the U.S., was a bright spot, but his eventual impact remains unknown. In fact, none of what happened in 2015 means much now. "I think this year was not so much a progression as it was a fact-finding for Jurgen and everybody to start to figure out how the team is going to shape up," McBride said.

By definition, the year was a time to experiment, a period in which Klinsmann and his staff have the luxury of time. If a team is going to have a down year, the one following the World Cup is the best time to do so. The question now is whether the troubles in 2015 were simply small missteps or indicative of larger issues.

Before the final two matches of the year, I would have been inclined to worry that they were the latter, that Klinsmann and his staff (but mostly Klinsmann, who is absolutely the leader and final decision-maker) were following the wrong path. Those thoughts changed during the games against St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago. And really, it was about one player specifically.

Fabian Johnson, one of the most talented (if not the most talented) members of the U.S. squad, usually plays left midfield for Borussia Monchengladbach. For the United States, however, he had been playing everywhere: right-back, left-back, right midfield, left midfield. Switching positions constantly is a difficult thing to do, especially at the international level, where players have little time to train together, and Johnson, who had an October blowout with Klinsmann, was tired of being shuffled around.

In the two World Cup qualifiers, the coach deployed his skilled charge at left midfield and left him there. Johnson looked comfortable and played well. The decision to listen to his player and take Johnson's wishes into account is something Klinsmann hasn't done in the past. It's a small thing but perhaps a sign that he's willing to learn.

"I don't think Klinsmann went through this year and didn't learn anything," Twellman said. "Now, in saying that, will we see those signs when 2016 comes around?"

That is the big question. How much did Klinsmann learn from the struggles of 2015 and how much will he apply those lessons going forward? We won't know until the Americans take the field again -- they play Iceland in a friendly on Jan. 31 -- but the last two matches of the year were encouraging.

Looking ahead, the U.S. has more World Cup qualifying followed by the Copa America Centenario in the next six months. They should defeat Guatemala, winning a home-and-home series that would qualify them for the final round of 2018 qualifying. As for the Copa America, which sees the best in CONMEBOL come to the U.S., it will be a huge test for Klinsmann, the type of tournament that can show signs of progress. If the Americans do well, they'll quiet the critics. But even if they don't, it's still a team trending in the right direction.

If Nagbe gets integrated more fully into the starting XI, if Johnson plays well on the left wing, if Zardes scores a goal or two and if the team continues to find its way into becoming a cohesive unit, the stumbles of 2015 look more palatable, like successful experiments rather than abject failures.

Omar Gonzalez transfers to Pachuca, per Goff.
I always expected he would end up in Mexico.

Did Goff mention how much LA got?

From the Galaxy perspective, that fixes a ton of their salary cap issues. It does not sound like they could get Gerrard to retire this year but once he comes off the books at the end of next season, things should ease up for them depending on what they do this year.

Slight hijack.....With my two boys completely obsessed with soccer (9 & 7), this has been a very interesting subject to me. They've been playing year round for 2 years now and their growth has been so rewarding. I don't envision them to be national players, but I won't get in their way if that's what they want to do. The 7yr old is good enough to run with the U10 rec leagues, at least. We're on the fence about getting involved with the academy teams at such a young age...

I was a mediocre soccer player as a kid, but haven't been around the game for 20+ years...until my boys got into it. I'm way behind the curve, but want to support them as much as I can. Does anyone here have any experience with the US Soccer coaching license system? I was thinking about going through the process just to be able to coach as much as I can. There will be a point in time very soon where I have nothing else to offer to them, unless this coaching thing is a good resource.

I took a spot on the waiting list for the F license course and just got word that I got a slot to take the course this weekend. I have 72hrs to decide :lol: That feels like a racket to me, but hoping its a good resource. Is it worth my time/money? :shrug:
I have a E and some youth modules. Take any course you can. It will help you understand the process better at a minimum. I have no regrets on taking the courses.
I thought you could take the F course from the Digital Coaching Center at any time? I have no idea if Scrappygang will even want to play or if I'd ever put myself out to coach (my brother's experience coaching his daughter's team was as awful as you'd imagine), but I'll probably at least take the F course. Maybe the E.
So I took the F course a couple of days ago. It was structured towards parents that have little to no soccer experience, but it was structured well and went by pretty quickly. I'll be looking to jump on the E license once I see a course offered. I'm betting that'll have a lot more meat to it.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/22/tottenham-do-not-need-to-replace-federico-fazio-if-they-sell-him/

Tottenham could cut ties with defender Federico Fazio, who has barely featured this season.

The Argentine has been linked with a return to former club Sevilla bySkySports, with the club president expressing an interest.

Letting him leave makes sense for Spurs as he is clearly not part of Mauricio Pochettino's first team plans.

Even better, the club do not need to worry about replacing him.

Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld have been excellent this season, forming a partnership which does not need breaking up.

Fazio is not even third choice in the position, with Kevin Wimmer signed from FC Koln in the summer.

The Austrian is deserving of an opportunity and at some stage will get the chance to shine, something Fazio was not able to do last season when he played.

Most teams would consider they need four centre-backs to compete at the top of the league, and Fazio is currently the fourth.

Yet given the lack of usage for their back-ups this season, Spurs could promote young talent Cameron Carter-Vickers to the role.

Last edited by a moderator:
CHICAGO (Dec. 23, 2015) – U.S. Soccer has appointed John Hackworth as the head coach of the U-17 Men’s National Team. He replaces Richie Williams, who has been named assistant coach of Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer.

“We are thrilled to have John Hackworth on board to lead the U-17 Men’s National Team,” said U.S. Soccer Technical Director Jurgen Klinsmann. “John is highly respected within the U.S. Soccer community and has experience in all levels of the game, including MLS. He has a positive coaching approach and is great at building bridges. We want to thank Richie Williams for his tireless work and commitment to the program.”

Hackworth begins his second stint in charge of the U-17 program. A veteran with U.S. Soccer, Hackworth began his involvement with the organization in 2002 when he first became an assistant coach for the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team under former head coach John Ellinger. Hackworth went on to become the U-17 head coach two years later and in the following year took the USA to the 2005 FIFA U-17 World Championship, where the U.S. advanced to the quarterfinals. In his last year as head coach of the U-17’s, he once again led the Red, White and Blue to the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup, with the USA bowing out in the Round of 16.

Following his stint at the U-17 level, Hackworth became an assistant coach with the senior Men’s National Team and continued to be on the sidelines until 2009. He also served as the inaugural Technical Director of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy.

“This program is near and dear to my heart, I’m excited and honored to be back working with the U-17 National Team,” said Hackworth. “This is an important age group on the National Team pathway and I’m looking forward to overseeing the training environment that will allow them to maximize their potential at this stage of their careers.”

The U-17 Residency Program is based in Bradenton, Fla., and launched in spectacular fashion in 1999 as the inaugural class finished in fourth place in the 1999 FIFA U-17 World Cup in New Zealand. Founding players Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley won the Golden Ball and Silver Ball, respectively, joined by future senior National Team veterans Kyle Beckerman and Oguchi Onyewu.

In the 16 years since, the Residency Program has produced nearly 30 players who went on to play for the full team, including 10 who made a World Cup roster. Residency alumni have accounted for 11 of the last 15 U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of the Year award winners, including current U.S. MNT captain Michael Bradley and two-time World Cup veteran Jozy Altidore.

The U-17 program will continue to operate as part of the comprehensive National Teams setup, which now has a team representing every age group from U-14 through U-20.

Additional announcements regarding youth team coaching appointments are expected in the near future.

Another U.S. legend is set to take the touchline for the national team program.

Sources tell EoS that former Tottenham goalkeeper and USMNT mainstay Brad Friedel will assume the role as coach of the newly minted U.S. U-19 program.

Friedel, 44, appeared in 80 matches with the U.S. National Team, earning his way to three World Cup rosters. He is the fourth most capped goalkeeper in American history. His illustrious 19 year Premiership career includes stints with Liverpool, Tottenham, Aston Villa and Blackburn. He currently holds the league record for most consecutive starts with 310.

In his post-playing career, Friedel has featured with both BBC and FOX as a television commentator. He will continue to serve in his role with FOX as he assumes the reins of the USMNT U-19 program.

Like former teammates Clint Mathis and Tony Meola before him, Friedel has volunteered time with Tab Ramos at the U-20 level, lending his experience to the youth side. This role as U-19 coach, however, will be his first professional coaching role of any capacity.

An announcement should be made by U.S. Soccer in the coming days.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Thinking about the Hackworth signing is making me scratch my head.

If JK is responsible for this hire and part of his mandate is to bring changes to the program, why hire a retread?

With Red Bulls recent signing of a bunch of home grown players they now have an astounding 11 home grown players on the roster, which is 5 more than the MLS team with the second most.

The Red Bull development tree has had a decent track record of getting players all the way to the national team.

The tree has given Jozy, Bradley, Ream, Agudelo, and Miazga, amongst others. Hopefully they have some more good players in that large home grown group that can develop up the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread